Astros 2020-21 offseason- can't be any worse than last year, right? RIGHT?

Wulaw Horn

Just now, Hank Chinaski said:

I mean, if the best offer they made him was really 6/120, they don't seem particularly serious about extending him. I can't imagine that is remotely close to what he has in mind. 

And if he really wants a ten year deal, he isn't particularly serious about signing with the Astros.

a 10 year deal says he wants to retire as an astro.  if he's insisting on 10+ and $25mm+ per than we probably won't do that. 

if we up it to 6-180mm then he takes it and overlaps nicely with our other core guys.  you can't give him low years and also low money and expect to get it done.

hopefully this is bullshit posturing. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

a 10 year deal says he wants to retire as an astro.  if he's insisting on 10+ and $25mm+ per than we probably won't do that. 

if we up it to 6-180mm then he takes it and overlaps nicely with our other core guys.  you can't give him low years and also low money and expect to get it done.

hopefully this is bullshit posturing. 

Yep. 6-180 seems fair. He’d be 32 and then the question is can he make more than 70 million for the reminder of his career?  If he still is an all star you’d have to think a 4/100 at 32 wouldn’t be inconceivable. That would get him past 10/250. 
I think click fucking sucks. I’d rather they not have exchanged offers with him if they were gonna say- hey Carlos- whatcha think about 6/120 when you are 26 and on the verge of FA in your walk year. 

22 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yep. 6-180 seems fair. He’d be 32 and then the question is can he make more than 70 million for the reminder of his career?  If he still is an all star you’d have to think a 4/100 at 32 wouldn’t be inconceivable. That would get him past 10/250. 
I think click fucking sucks. I’d rather they not have exchanged offers with him if they were gonna say- hey Carlos- whatcha think about 6/120 when you are 26 and on the verge of FA in your walk year. 

also at 6-180, you get to see how the next 2-3 years play out with his ability, his health, the franchise, the cba, the future of free agency, and then if you need to add a 4-80 onto the back end, you can.

6-120 is like one of those deals you offer the phenom that hasn't come up yet, and you're hoping he takes it so you lock him down cheap for 12 years.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Grams to says his source says Correa is asking for 8 years 200 million. 
I don’t understand what the Astros are doing if they don’t do that deal. It’s imminently reasonable. If true that just pisses me off. 

if he's asking for that, this should get done.  at that or close to that.

the only deal correa's side would offer that would get a gtfo reaction is a 12-350 type of nonsense.

Just now, henrygandorf said:

also at 6-180, you get to see how the next 2-3 years play out with his ability, his health, the franchise, the cba, the future of free agency, and then if you need to add a 4-80 onto the back end, you can.

6-120 is like one of those deals you offer the phenom that hasn't come up yet, and you're hoping he takes it so you lock him down cheap for 12 years.

Exactly. I said 12 for 150 would be my offer on the day they called him up. Maybe I said 15/200 or something  I also said I’d have offered 10/100 million on that day. Something like what the Braves did with their guy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, henrygandorf said:

if he's asking for that, this should get done.  at that or close to that.

the only deal correa's side would offer that would get a gtfo reaction is a 12-350 type of nonsense.

Harper got 13/320 right?  Even 12/350 isn’t something I’d hang up the phone or walk away from the table over. It’d be something I felt like I could use as a starting point to get a deal done. 
would you take 3 less AAV?  Would you take 100 million of that deferred?  Shit like that. But yeah 8/200 says he’s acting in good faith in wanting to be an Astro for life. 

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Harper got 13/320 right?  Even 12/350 isn’t something I’d hang up the phone or walk away from the table over. It’d be something I felt like I could use as a starting point to get a deal done. 
would you take 3 less AAV?  Would you take 100 million of that deferred?  Shit like that. But yeah 8/200 says he’s acting in good faith in wanting to be an Astro for life. 

12+ and 300+ (as we come out of a pandemic) would make me, as a fan, say "ok, i understand what the team is doing not signing this".  but i agree that's not a "fuck off lose my number" situation either.

edit to add - harper got that from another team.  absurd contracts are more common from a new team.  if he's resigning to play with his pals where he claims he wants to be, then he should be reasonable.  8-200 is super fucking reasonable.

Edited by henrygandorf
  • Like 1

Just now, henrygandorf said:

12+ and 300+ (as we come out of a pandemic) would make me, as a fan, say "ok, i understand what the team is doing not signing this".  but i agree that's not a "fuck off lose my number" situation either.

Absolutely. I wouldn’t fault them form not doing a deal at those terms- but that’s damn sure not be a conversation stopper. 
If I’m Correa and they told me to duck off at 8/200 I’d tell them I’m out. Trade me or I will play out the string but I’m gone. 

I’m wondering if the Astros think that the plethora of top tier shortstops ( Francisco Lindor, Javier Báez, Carlos Correa, Corey Seager, Trevor Story, Andrelton Simmons, Brandon Crawford) that are scheduled to become  free agents next year will depress the market. 

Edited by TonyTexas

If that was the case, low balling him now serves no purpose because all it did is piss him off and give him the whole season to get used to the idea of playing for another team.  The chances of him re-signing once he hits the free agent market are a fraction of what they were going in to spring training.  It's most likely not going to happen.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1

We don't need CC to make the playoffs. We need CC to win the WS.

He will blow away the career playoff HR and RBI #s

If the Astros let him walk it will be one of the biggest mistakes in franchise history.

I don't give a shit if he only plays 110 games every regular season for the next 10 years. He has missed 0 playoff games and shows up in them.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

I’m wondering if the Astros think that the plethora of top tier shortstops ( Francisco Lindor, Javier Báez, Carlos Correa, Corey Seager, Trevor Story, Andrelton Simmons, Brandon Crawford) that are scheduled to become  free agents next year will depress the market. 

only one of those SS's has shined in the post season, 2nd best post season SS ever 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Fuck the Dodgers and fuck 2020, but Seager was NLCS and WS MVP last year. 

Carlos Correa: 17 HR
Correa only turned 26 shortly before the start of the 2020 postseason, yet he's already rocketing up this list. (No other player has gone deep more than 13 times in the postseason before their 27th birthday). Correa got things started with a multi-homer effort in Game 4 of the 2015 ALDS and has continued to provide October power in the years since. His six big flies in the 2020 playoffs include a walk-off shot in Game 5 of the ALCS against the Rays, which staved off elimination for Houston and made Correa the third player with multiple postseason walk-offs.

5 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Carlos Correa: 17 HR
Correa only turned 26 shortly before the start of the 2020 postseason, yet he's already rocketing up this list. (No other player has gone deep more than 13 times in the postseason before their 27th birthday). Correa got things started with a multi-homer effort in Game 4 of the 2015 ALDS and has continued to provide October power in the years since. His six big flies in the 2020 playoffs include a walk-off shot in Game 5 of the ALCS against the Rays, which staved off elimination for Houston and made Correa the third player with multiple postseason walk-offs.

Major League Baseball Sport GIF by MLB

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

There is always the possibility that the Astros are fine with letting him become a free agent.

I mean, yeah, if they won't do 8/200, then they're just not interested in having him back.

I get that he's been injury plagued as fuck, but he's also the perfect combination of offense and defense at a premium position.  You have to pay him and roll the dice on his health.  Maybe they can work out a base-plus-incentives deal to reward him for healthy production (beyond 25 per) and save some money (closer to 20) if he goes down?

I'm curious how this negotiation would differ if Luhnow had never been fired. Click may not have any emotional investment in the 2012 Astros draft but Correa sure does, as does Lance McCullers, Jr.

Remember when many draft pundits had Byron Buxton as the #1 overall talent but Luhnow opted for the teenaged SS from the Puerto Rican Baseball Academy? Much was made about that selection because the Astros offered Correa almost $2.5 million below slot value as the top overall pick, but Luhnow used that money the team saved to grab McCullers in the compensatory round of the first and lure him away from college ball by offering him over slot value for that pick. I like to think Luhnow would be willing to pay that forward now considering the sacrifice Correa made then and his stellar play throughout his career. He's a HOFer if he stays healthy. 

Lance got paid, now it's time for Correa to get his.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I mean, yeah, if they won't do 8/200, then they're just not interested in having him back.

I get that he's been injury plagued as fuck, but he's also the perfect combination of offense and defense at a premium position.  You have to pay him and roll the dice on his health.  Maybe they can work out a base-plus-incentives deal to reward him for healthy production (beyond 25 per) and save some money (closer to 20) if he goes down?

I mean- $5 million is a rounding error for MLB teams trying to compete- not even worth fucking with. When you hear him say 8/200 the appropriate response is to say we will get back with you, let us talk it over and go back to the office and pop a cork and celebrate. 
Of course- this presumes Granato got it right, so who knows. 

Lose a good bat and have worse defense at both short and 3rd.  That's quite the trifecta.  I wish they would just gut the roster and go straight to the Tampa Bay model.  It would be better than watching them dismantle a great team one player at a time.  Knowing they will be worse than the year before at the start of each season is fucking depressing.

Edited by kevwun

3 hours ago, kevwun said:

Lose a good bat and have worse defense at both short and 3rd.  That's quite the trifecta.  I wish they would just gut the roster and go straight to the Tampa Bay model.  It would be better than watching them dismantle a great team one player at a time.  Knowing they will be worse than the year before at the start of each season is fucking depressing.

Yeah.  It's depressing knowing that we're on the backside of what will probably be the best run of my lifetime.  2019 and 2020 are going to sting for awhile.  But the roster should be good enough for another run this year so maybe we'll catch some breaks in October.

I'm inclined to think Granato is full of shit on general principles.  If 8/200 will get it done, it should already be done.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WBT said:

Yeah.  It's depressing knowing that we're on the backside of what will probably be the best run of my lifetime.  2019 and 2020 are going to sting for awhile. 

though underrated on the "sting" index, i was feeling like king kong after g1 against the red sox in 2018.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1