2022 Senate Elections

Ghost of LL

3 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Holy fucking shit.

In a similar vein, Dems should take a page out of the GQP Scare Tactics book and start hammering the olds with endless ads about how the GQP is going to get rid of Social Security the first chance they get.  Make it the left's version of CRT.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

Im getting a mutton cloth napkin signed by her with my donation.  How are we not all meeting up for this?   Plus west wing cast.  Dry Oktoberfest shitheads!   

I can’t believe this is gonna happen after we best OU

So... This is why I don't really politics...

Ron Johnson isn't wrong...  He just didn't offer a solution. He offered a perspective / preference.

Let's take this minimum wage topic and dissect it (only a little).

On one hand, we should not need a minimum wage (price fixing). The market should, indeed, handle it. But the market is inefficient and often corrupt, if not just short-sighted.

So, here comes minimum wage, which does not deliver much except a minimum wage that is not a living wage. It *may* even create an artificially low minimum wage, even in an inefficient, corrupt market. In an efficient market it absolutely would.

Yes, I know the arguments...(D) Corporations will extract every dime they can from their people... (R) Except most jobs pay more than minimum wage anyway.

Both are right and the "answer" is probably not minimum wage, but it's also not inefficient markets becoming efficient and having equal influence by corporations and workers, because that won't work out, either.

Ron Johnson isn't wrong...  He just didn't offer a solution... And he can't because he has to maintain a position that appears to be the polar opposite of not just an opponent, but of an entire political ideology, whether an opponent exists with that ideology or not.

Now take this and extrapolate to any topic you like and you'll see it takes hundreds of years to make any reasonable progress on topics that reasonable people should be able to sort out in months.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Slacks said:

So... This is why I don't really politics...

Ron Johnson isn't wrong...  He just didn't offer a solution. He offered a perspective / preference.

Let's take this minimum wage topic and dissect it (only a little).

On one hand, we should not need a minimum wage (price fixing). The market should, indeed, handle it. But the market is inefficient and often corrupt, if not just short-sighted.

So, here comes minimum wage, which does not deliver much except a minimum wage that is not a living wage. It *may* even create an artificially low minimum wage, even in an inefficient, corrupt market. In an efficient market it absolutely would.

Yes, I know the arguments...(D) Corporations will extract every dime they can from their people... (R) Except most jobs pay more than minimum wage anyway.

Both are right and the "answer" is probably not minimum wage, but it's also not inefficient markets becoming efficient and having equal influence by corporations and workers, because that won't work out, either.

Ron Johnson isn't wrong...  He just didn't offer a solution... And he can't because he has to maintain a position that appears to be the polar opposite of not just an opponent, but of an entire political ideology, whether an opponent exists with that ideology or not.

Now take this and extrapolate to any topic you like and you'll see it takes hundreds of years to make any reasonable progress on topics that reasonable people should be able to sort out in months.

Oh. Well we should probably just re-elect him then. 

11 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Holy fucking shit.

In a similar vein, Dems should take a page out of the GQP Scare Tactics book and start hammering the olds with endless ads about how the GQP is going to get rid of Social Security the first chance they get.  Make it the left's version of CRT.

That’s something I don’t understand about the Democrats.  Why aren’t they playing off people’s fear the way the GOP does?!

”They want to take away your Social Security.”

”They want to let you get raped and force you to have the baby.”

”They want to arm school shooters with AR-15s.”

”They want to overthrow the government and send us into a post apocalyptic wasteland.”

(Sadly, they are all true and the last one is most true.”)

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

That’s something I don’t understand about the Democrats.  Why aren’t they playing off people’s fear the way the GOP does?!

”They want to take away your Social Security.”

”They want to let you get raped and force you to have the baby.”

”They want to arm school shooters with AR-15s.”

”They want to overthrow the government and send us into a post apocalyptic wasteland.”

(Sadly, they are all true and the last one is most true.”)

Because the supposed “liberal” media is really bad at pushing back on republicans and in fact, carries their water quite a bit. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

That ^

Speaking of U.S. Senate races, both Tshibaka (AK) and Masters (AZ) were in Austin this week.  And both expressed an extreme frustration and disappointment that money from the Trump PAC hasn't actually reached their coffers despite numerous pledges to that effect.  Say what you will about their politics, these are not stupid people.  These are not folks easily fooled.  But they towed his line and are still waiting, on pins and needles, just weeks away from margin-of-error level races for these magic 7-figure checks to roll in for their final ad buys.  And nothing.  And you could see on both their faces, they have serious, serious regret.  

Good news:  President of the U.S. Senate is in Austin today.  I asked my wife her thoughts on me taking our oldest to the Long Center for the Women's Rally.  She said it wasn't a good idea.  I thought it was because she's Catholic and believes in the subjugation of women in every American household except ours.  But she said, "I think it's great you want to expose her to stuff like this.  But it's a massive crowd and you'll be looking at your phone half the time at the OU score...so she'll probably get lost.:"  And that's fair, she's probably right.  Hook 'Em!  

13 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

And both expressed an extreme frustration and disappointment that money from the Trump PAC hasn't actually reached their coffers despite numerous pledges to that effect.  Say what you will about their politics, these are not stupid people.  These are not folks easily fooled.  But they towed his line and are still waiting, on pins and needles, just weeks away from margin-of-error level races for these magic 7-figure checks to roll in for their final ad buys.  And nothing.  And you could see on both their faces, they have serious, serious regret.  

image.gif.e95ab691afca6df48af8b3d7b421b4cc.gif

5 hours ago, YGIFS said:

That ^

Speaking of U.S. Senate races, both Tshibaka (AK) and Masters (AZ) were in Austin this week.  And both expressed an extreme frustration and disappointment that money from the Trump PAC hasn't actually reached their coffers despite numerous pledges to that effect.  Say what you will about their politics, these are not stupid people.  These are not folks easily fooled.  But they towed his line and are still waiting, on pins and needles, just weeks away from margin-of-error level races for these magic 7-figure checks to roll in for their final ad buys.  And nothing.  And you could see on both their faces, they have serious, serious regret.  

Good news:  President of the U.S. Senate is in Austin today.  I asked my wife her thoughts on me taking our oldest to the Long Center for the Women's Rally.  She said it wasn't a good idea.  I thought it was because she's Catholic and believes in the subjugation of women in every American household except ours.  But she said, "I think it's great you want to expose her to stuff like this.  But it's a massive crowd and you'll be looking at your phone half the time at the OU score...so she'll probably get lost.:"  And that's fair, she's probably right.  Hook 'Em!  

That’s trump money and he needs something in return to open the spigot. Preferably a kickback. Allegedly.

On 10/7/2022 at 9:48 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

Has RJ been saying shit like this the entire time he’s been in politics?

Based on that tweet he has a pollster who has a list of "hot button words with voters" and "price fixing" is one of them. It doesn't matter that that's not how any of this works.  They just spout bullshit and it works with their moron base. Same with Hershel.

1 minute ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

One of the best tweets I’ve ever read.  

You know, the guy from AZ was in Texas and Oz is in California.  What the fuck are they doing outside their states with an election less than 30 days away?  If it has to do with money you KNOW our system is fucked up.  

It was a fundraiser, held at the General Lyon museum at SNA airport.  It was organized by the Luckey's, aka Matt Gaetz' in-laws.  

It was $1,500 to get in the door, and $5,000 minimum if you wanted dinner. 

23 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

16 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

You know, the guy from AZ was in Texas and Oz is in California.  What the fuck are they doing outside their states with an election less than 30 days away?  If it has to do with money you KNOW our system is fucked up.  

It was a fundraiser, held at the General Lyon museum at SNA airport.  It was organized by the Luckey's, aka Matt Gaetz' in-laws.  
It was $1,500 to get in the door, and $5,000 minimum if you wanted dinner. 

Sure. But, they’ve got to be close to the point where you have a hard time spending new money. There is a point in the campaign where new donations make no difference (to the budget) because you’ve already committed what you’re going to spend. Candidates keep fundraising either because they’re in the hole (lots of campaigns finish in red) or they want a war chest for theirs and other candidates next election. With such a tight race, I wouldn’t think that would be the priority, unless you are way in the hole.

1 hour ago, Tuco said:

Sure. But, they’ve got to be close to the point where you have a hard time spending new money. There is a point in the campaign where new donations make no difference (to the budget) because you’ve already committed what you’re going to spend. Candidates keep fundraising either because they’re in the hole (lots of campaigns finish in red) or they want a war chest for theirs and other candidates next election. With such a tight race, I wouldn’t think that would be the priority, unless you are way in the hole.

65277d9ae63f544eb71bb2e11ec40637.jpg

Why would anyone pay $20,000 for "Event Co-Host"?

One "Event Co-Host" - $20,000, 4 reception tickets, 2 dinners w/ preferred seating

vs.

Two "Premium Dinner Attendee"s - $20,000, 4 reception tickets and 4 dinners w/ preferred seating

Why do the perks get worse the more you pay?  You get fewer dinners vs. tickets and you lose preferred seating??

43 minutes ago, TexLonghorn said:

Why would anyone pay $20,000 for "Event Co-Host"?

One "Event Co-Host" - $20,000, 4 reception tickets, 2 dinners w/ preferred seating

vs.

Two "Premium Dinner Attendee"s - $20,000, 4 reception tickets and 4 dinners w/ preferred seating

Why do the perks get worse the more you pay?  You get fewer dinners vs. tickets and you lose preferred seating??

So to get what I’d want, sounds like about a half mill.