2022 Senate Elections

Ghost of LL

For anyone truly wondering about Fetterman's recovery, I stumbled upon a podcast he did a few days ago.  It's called On with Kara Swisher and was released on Oct 10.  She even mentions that they did not edit out any of the 'uhs' and 'ums' because they wanted to fairly represent how he is today.  He's perfectly competent to be a US Senator.  Much moreso than several of the Republican candidates.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

Marquette is a big one. Hoping Barnes is close.

MAGA polling logic :

MAGAs: OH polls are D-biased and show a tie, so the republican is winning.

Also MAGA: NV polls are R-biased and show a tie...so the republican is winning.

Advantage: aggy

When my wife was doing her couple years of clinical rounds for speech pathology between HealthSouth eldercare and Brackenridge hospital, it was probably 75% stroke patients.  And of all ages, but mainly 55+.  And as a rational, educated person would assume---they ran the gamut from people experiencing a light stutter and occasional lockjaw all the way up to not being able to swallow and only moan/grumble.  And everything in between including aphasia 

And then...also...tambien...in addition to the speech side...there was the cognitive/neurological side.  Some people were speaking almost as exactly as well as they did pre-stroke (family would bring in recordings) but it was just muscle memory...they spoke fine in terms of articulation and movement but they were making no sense, just incoherent sentences in English or Spanish.  Others who could barely make a syllable, stammered incessantly, had all kinds of jaw and tongue issues...they were crystal clear cognitively.  Using visual tests, audio tests, computer mouses, and just pointing...they were able to demonstrate brain lucidity but severe oral/verbal communication challenges to relay that information.  There were of course the worst cases, brain damage and lack of communication ability.  \

What decades of high-level, advanced degree holding speech pathology has demonstrated is that there is nowhere near the correlation between loss of speech and loss of certain brain function as most people think.  Almost all stroke victims will experience some measure of mild to severe speech challenges.  Most recover to varying degrees.  However, not all stroke victims, not even a majority, experience brain damage.  

Fetterman appears to SLP's to have mild to moderate articulation issues but nothing approaching aphasia.  He does not exhibit, at least on television, to be experiencing ataxia or paralysis.  Given his age (53), he will likely make a marked but not total recovery speech-wise.  But he appears to be cognitively the same to the trained eye and ear. Were he 73 instead of 53, the outlook would be much, much more grim.  I am not a neurologist, but neither is the guy hocking supplements and boner pills. 

tl;dr---Fetterman is fine and is seeing an SLP right now for artic fine-tuning.  Herschel Walker has legitimate brain trauma and cognitive deterioration, and the speech/annunciation fuckups are just one of a half-dozen dead fucking giveaways.      

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

When my wife was doing her couple years of clinical rounds ...

A few years ago I had some folks over for a football game.  The doorbell rang, my wife answered it and it was my neighbor - a lovely woman in her 60s who lived alone.  I could tell my wife was confused by what the neighbor was saying.  I went over and it was weird.  The neighbor was frustrated and saying words, clearly, but that didn't relate to each other.  "Sarah, what's the matter?"  "Crane...cards...." some pointing..."tree blue acting...."  "Do you think you are having a stroke?"  "Cat!"...nodding head vigorously. 

We called 911 and gave her an aspirin.  I don't know how severe -as in how many dead brain cells - the stroke was, but I think if it affected her ability to reason or move, instead of just her ability to find the right words, she would have died - maybe starved to death.  It's all about location and timing.  She got the stroke meds in time and that apparently is a major game changer,  did therapy, and she was my lovely, older neighbor again, with some minor lingering effects in her speech.  And she is still more qualified to be a Senator than Oz.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

Glad she's better.  Really glad you guys were there to help.  Time is so critical in those instances.  

Yeah, she'd play me tapes of patients (no names obviously) and these people were annunciating clear as day but it was just words easily available to them like a two year old looking around a room, "Woman is there.  TV will be off soon.  I will see the monkey on the ceiling tomorrow.  Today food is for people."  Like they'd even conjugate verbs correctly, even irregular ones.  But just rambles that didn't really communicate what they needed.  That was the sign of brain loss.  despite artic not being affected.  Fetterman doesn't have that problem.  But rumors abound...

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Pancho said:

Another example of radical republicans and their hypocrisy.  They have an issue with Fetterman and are silent on Herschel. 

Typical.

They also go on and on and on and on about George Soros but are also silent on Thiel (above) or anyone with the last name of Koch. We know why.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Yeah, she'd play me tapes of patients (no names obviously) and these people were annunciating clear as day but it was just words easily available to them like a two year old looking around a room, "Woman is there.  TV will be off soon.  I will see the monkey on the ceiling tomorrow.  Today food is for people."  Like they'd even conjugate verbs correctly, even irregular ones.  But just rambles that didn't really communicate what they needed.  That was the sign of brain loss.  despite artic not being affected.  Fetterman doesn't have that problem.  But rumors abound...

Did any of these anonymous patients say random words like  “Person. Woman. Man.  Camera. TV. ” by chance?

• Haha 7

Cross posted from abortion thread:

https://www.axios.com/2022/10/12/2022-midterms-voters-roe-poll

Half of all voters say that they are more motivated to cast a ballot in the midterms because of the Supreme Court's decision to overturn Roe v. Wade, according to a new Kaiser Family Foundation poll released Wednesday. 

Why it matters: Three-quarters of those who say the decision is motivating them say they intend to back candidates who support abortion rights, compared to 17% who plan to vote for candidates who want to limit access.

By the numbers: 50% of 1,534 adults KFF polled between Sept. 15–26 say they are more eager to vote in the midterms due to the fall of Roe, up from 43% in July and 37% in May following the leak of a Supreme Court decision draft on Roe.

• 51% of voters in states with abortion bans are more motivated to vote, compared to 32% in states that protect abortion access. 
  • In anti-abortion states, 74% of Democrats or Democratic-leaning voters are more eager to vote, versus only 35% of Republicans or Republican-leaning voters.
  • 53% of women say they are more motivated to vote and 46% of men say they are more motivated because of the Supreme Court decision.

2 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

forgive me for not trusting Utah to do the right thing, ever. 

I had hope for them in 2020.  Still seems plausible to me.  Mormons follow their religion a lot more than the religious folks we are used to.  Without being forced to check a box for a scary D, I can see a lot of people finally feeling like they have permission to go away from R. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

I had hope for them in 2020.  Still seems plausible to me.  Mormons follow their religion a lot more than the religious folks we are used to.  Without being forced to check a box for a scary D, I can see a lot of people finally feeling like they have permission to go away from R. 

you silly boy.  They will fuck you every single time. 

They went 58% for trump last time, when we all KNEW what a fucking scumbag he was and is.  Mormons are phony-baloney motherfuckers.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Isn’t McMullin a conservative that would most likely caucus with the GOP?

I don’t know much about him other than he doesn’t seem to follow the party line. 

He isn’t MAGA (basically another Romney) and has said he wouldn’t vote for McConnell. 

7 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Isn’t McMullin a conservative that would most likely caucus with the GOP?

I don’t know much about him other than he doesn’t seem to follow the party line. 

I was thinking the same, but I was corrected upthread.  He has stated he will not caucus with the GOP.  I imagine could change over the course of six years.  

14 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

If that’s the closing of the debate, I can’t think of a worse way to end when the polls show you neck and neck.

The GOP is running some of the dumbest fucking candidates I've ever seen.

I get chasing the MAGA tail and trying to catch it and let it pull you to victory, but when you turn out to be just as dumb as the MAGA crowd....fucking embarrassing that I was ever a Republican.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2022 at 1:09 PM, Tuco said:

I was thinking the same, but I was corrected upthread.  He has stated he will not caucus with the GOP.  I imagine could change over the course of six years.  

If he doesn’t he’s going to be a one-term Senator.  Frankly, with McCain gone we need more wild cards so I’d happily take the occasional departure from party solidarity in lieu of a seditious coward like Lee.  

If the furries using litter boxes in schools will allow the GOP to take over the House and/or Senate, the GOP is 100% behind that strategy. 

Since they're the party of culture wars now, they don't have much else to go on. 

EDIT: The GOP is fine if Dems have to stop to explain that is a false story. One, GOP supporters won't believe the Dems. Second, this misdirects from the real issues where the GOP have no answers or defense.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 1