Texas Summer Football Thread

Reese Bennett

1 hour ago, Ben Ficus said:

Personally, I blame the offensive line for allowing a safety on the first possession.  Keep your shit together on that first drive (even a regular 3 and out), and Tech isn't nearly as juiced during that first quarter.  I haven't watched the game at all since it happened.  I had to look it up to make sure my memory was correct.

Tech had the ball first.  Texas forced a punt, and Tech downed the punt at the 2 yard line.  That's awful starting position.  One the first play, Chris O apparently went down in the endzone. 

All these years later, I had it in my mind that Colt had the ball.  But it makes sense that the safety happened on a running play,  for if Colt had been throwing, they probably would have advanced the ball between 5 and 95 yards.

The o-line unable to push a running play forward when the team really needed it.  It was a harbinger of things to come.

So you're saying The Punter changed the game? 

SIAP

More off season bullshit.  I didn't figure it warranted it's own thread.

Popular Mechanics magazine ranked the 25 best college stadiums.   Baylor and the tacklebox made it.  DKR-Memorial didn't even make the cut.  

https://www.popularmechanics.com/adventure/sports/g22522292/college-football-stadiums-ranked/

The recent effort to overhaul Kyle Field added about 10,000 seats, putting the Aggies' home in the elite club of stadiums than can hold more than 100,000 fans. The process unified the stadium architecturally and created symmetry in the bowl. The remodel redid the concourses, added a new Hall of Fame, premiums areas, one of the largest video boards in college football, and seats closer to the field.

While we're bringing up missed opportunities what about the 2002 game in Lubbock? We had a 14-0 lead at the end of the 1st quarter and the Big 12 title game in our sights, and then it all fell apart. We win out and we get a spot in the Rose Bowl that year.

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

The season will have already opened by then.

Well, you are correct, but technically, the season opener at DKR will not have yet happened, as no concessions/ merchandise ect., will have yet been sold, nor a game played...

35 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

The phrase you're looking for is "home opener." Or, y'know, you could just say Tulsa. 

Well, yeah, I'll go with that..! "The season opener at home brought to you in the confines of Darrell K. Royal-Texas Memorial stadium"... 😋

e10d187dbf42376ae8c6a127e6178a86.jpg

Edited by kopp0e

21 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I am proud and happy to see justice served with the #1 ranking and comments about VY. That considered, the irony for the #2 slot is then very thick for me. If the 2008-2009 Texas team plays that Florida team, we beat that team. 

Sweet Christ that 2008 season was a fucking visit to The Theatre of the Absurd as a Texas fan:

-The great game that was the RRR that year, then rolling through Missouri and others.

-The insane Tech game and Blake fucking Gideon choking the single biggest moment of his fucking life. Then a whole gaggle of Texas fans, dumbfucks that they are/were cheering loudly and publicly for OU in following games after UT's loss to Tech. How those clowns didn't understand that there was no payoff as a UT fan in doing so (recognizing this doesn't effect outcomes on the field is beside the point, this is about the emotions of being a fan and then how that effects others going through the experience) is beyond me, and then watching Stoops do what he always did - run over the weak sisters and run up the score and then plead his fucking case to the voters via the media.

-Then Art Briles being the piece of human of shit that he is and voting Texas #5 in the coaches poll.

-Then Chip Brown reporting early that Texas had made it into the BCS game and getting Obloods fans excited and then being totally wrong.

-Then Texas beating an excellent Ohio State team in a great Fiesta Bowl to cap the season while watching OU then shit the fucking bed to Florida. Fuck me.

Two teams beat OU by double digits on a neutral field that season. One lost to a top 10 Tech team on the road at night in Lubbock. The other lost to a mediocre, unranked Ole Miss team at home. The latter got to play for, and win, the national title while okies cried in the stands throwing the horns down sign, and the former got to watch it all happen on live tv. 

I think that the 2008 was the 2nd best team we had in recent history.  I've never been as deflated as I was after that Tech game, and I saw us getting screwed out of that MNC from a mile away.

Gut punch.  Thanks for the PTSD flash back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jinx said:

I think that the 2008 was the 2nd best team we had in recent history.  I've never been as deflated as I was after that Tech game, and I saw us getting screwed out of that MNC from a mile away.

Gut punch.  Thanks for the PTSD flash back.

The XII at the time was pound for pound the strongest league in America, and should have had both Oklahoma & Texas facing each other in a rematch for the national title..!

2 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

The XII at the time was pound for pound the strongest league in America, and should have had both Oklahoma & Texas facing each other in a rematch for the national title..!

Makes the rematch of bama and LSU even more telling of the secX3 bias. 

• Like 2

Already posted in the CDC thread, but I'll put it here too, from TFB: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/07/open-post-weekend-july-27th-29th/

So What Happens if Texas Doesn’t Win? | Sourced Note
– Super K

I recently spoke to someone with knowledge of how Texas athletic director, Chris Del Conte operates. As you all know, Del Conte was previously the athletic director at TCU. He oversaw a lot of football success there with coach Gary Patterson steering the ship.

You will recall, though, that Patterson’s transition into the Big 12 wasn’t easy. And apparently, even with a coach with Gary Patterson’s record leading the team, Del Conte wasn’t going to sit by and see how things played out.

The three seasons prior to entering the Big 12 Patterson went 12-1, 13-0 (BCS Rose Bowl winners) and 11-2.

They went a decent 7-6 their first season in the Big 12. Herman just did the same in his first year in the Big 12.

But the next year they went 4-8 and Del Conte wasted no time in ensuring changes were made. TCU’s OC was let go and Sonny Cumbie & Dough Meacham were brought in to fix the TCU offense. And, they fixed it…fast.

TCU went 12-1 the next year with a dominating win in the Peach Bowl.

My source didn’t comment on what degree Del Conte had to push coach Patterson to make those changes but I certainly got the impression that no amount of reluctance was going to matter. Del Conte was going to insist upon those changes.

He also said in no uncertain terms that based on his knowledge of how Del Conte operates, if Texas doesn’t win this year, there will absolutely be changes made…willingly or otherwise.

5 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Makes the rematch of bama and LSU even more telling of the secX3 bias. 

Agreed... Totally...

LSU-Alabama draws lowest-ever BCS Title Game ratings - 247Sports

ESPN's Alabama-LSU draws lowest-ever BCS titl. ESPN's BCS title game Monday drew a 13.8 overnightrating -- the lowest rating in the BCS system's 14-year ...
awfulannouncing.com/ncaa/lsu-alabama-game-pulls-lowest-rating-decade.html
Nov 7, 2017 - LSU-Alabama game pulls lowest rating in over a decade. The SEC's ... National Championship Game in the BCS era in 2012, won by Alabama.