The Morning Show on AppleTV

BurntOrange&White

• 9 months later...

It’s been more than a year since we watched S1, and as a sum of all its parts, we enjoyed it. Way too much speechifying from Witherspoon’s character at the beginning, but that seemed to settle down a bit. I think Aniston is a sitcom/rom com all-timer, but her dramatic interpretations are overwrought and often missed the mark. I don’t think it was the character’s phoniness, while trying to seem authentic, I think it was just JA being a little out of her depth. I know she was up for a lot of awards, it’s just my opinion.

Other than the actress who played the harassment victim (she was terrific), I think the male actors stole the show. I really like Crudup’s Network boss, the Duplass Bro, and Carell in what turned out to be a supporting role. And Marty Short as the pervy director buddy of Carell was awesomely awful. 

I’m sure we’ll watch S2, probably after the entire season is available. Succession is what I’m really waiting for this fall.

Yeah I am dumb apparently but I am lost on the timeline.  Little help.  When we see Cory getting fired at the beginning that is in the future from the rest of the episode because it then said 3 months earlier.  When Bradley says she saved his job it was before that firing or was that another firing.  I think a little too much bourbon tonight is messing with my head.

15 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Yeah I am dumb apparently but I am lost on the timeline.  Little help.  When we see Cory getting fired at the beginning that is in the future from the rest of the episode because it then said 3 months earlier.  When Bradley says she saved his job it was before that firing or was that another firing.  I think a little too much bourbon tonight is messing with my head.

Starts with Cory getting fired for the broadcast Bc they mentioned locking Fred out of the control room that morning - so that was hours after the finale of season 1.  Then they jump 8 months to show NY during COVID and jump to 3 months before that (very end of December 2019). They’ll have to do a time jump back episode to show Fred getting fired, Cory being re-hired (and Bradley’s role) and Alex leaving the show in that 5 month gap. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 9/18/2021 at 3:04 PM, 4th&Five said:

Cory is starting to act a little too crazy to be believable. 

I think the whole season 2 will be the “3 mos before”. From the s1 finale to New Years to right before Covid. They will show how Fred got fired, Corey re-hired, Alex left.  I think s2 ep1 is beginning with the end (of s2) in mind. Of course I could be completely off 

I doubt they go all ragey Covid though there were certainly a half dozen references to close contact, drink sharing, etc…

Edited by jdhorn92

• 2 weeks later...

Uh, I dunno if it was just me, but all the face smoothing/tuning for Alex, Laura and Bradley was so distracting.   Julianna Marguiles' face cannot look like that IRL.  

I'm already sick of hearing about Wuhan, impeachment, Iowa caucuses, etc.  I DONT WANT TO RE-LIVE LAST YEAR. 

15 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Agree with your last sentence. Mr. Corman did the same thing. Makes me anxious all over again. 

All for the Juliana and Reese make out sessions though!

I didn’t see that coming. Legit 

image.gif.70698ffa7386d3aa34d4d1aff57f038e.gif

On 10/5/2021 at 9:25 AM, jdhorn92 said:

Thought it was a little much for Bradley to fall for Laura’s ass kissing in IA , she’s too smart to fall for that shit. But , the make out session made it all worth it and somewhat believable now we know she’s a member of the ghey.

I think she started making out with her just to distract her from the question she asked.

I like the show, but I think we’re witnessing the beginning of the end for Witherspoon, Anniston, and Carrell.    I understand they’re somewhat limited by their ages, but they could still be making movies instead of Emmy hunting on prestige television. 

All have shown in various segments of their careers that they’re better than the Morning Show’s material. It makes me wonder what Apple is paying them and what they were promised down the road. An Apple film Coda has a decent shot at an Oscar. It wouldn’t be unreasonable to assume all 3 will star in an Apple original film. 

PS: Anniston in old lady glasses and turtlenecks makes me very sad. It makes me long for the Rachel Green days of old filled with mini skirts and braless tops. 

The wife loves it and I like it.  Reese's character Bradley can be obnoxious...

The other day Sweet Home Alabama was on TV and a scene of her yelling at someone was on as I walked by....I realized she almost always the same character/personality in her movies/shows.  Even Big Little Lies.    

14 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

It makes me wonder what Apple is paying them and what they were promised down the road. 

Aniston and Witherspoon are getting $2 million per episode.  Not including production fees and ownership points.  They are both EPs on the show. 

20 episodes, so that's $40 million just from that.  EACH.  Those 20 episodes are costing Apple TV about $300 million. 

It's something like $600k/episode for Carell, since he was not considered a main.  He was also only supposed to be in season 1 - so he's making more than intended.  So a nice $6 million from season 1 + whatever he gets for season 2. 

Edited by Js1

21 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Aniston and Witherspoon are getting $2 million per episode.  Not including production fees and ownership points.  They are both EPs on the show. 

20 episodes, so that's $40 million just from that.  EACH.  Those 20 episodes are costing Apple TV about $300 million. 

It's something like $600k/episode for Carell, since he was not considered a main.  He was also only supposed to be in season 1 - so he's making more than intended.  So a nice $6 million from season 1 + whatever he gets for season 2. 

Wow. That's pretty serious money. 

22 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Wow. That's pretty serious money. 

Witherspoon is probably the world’s richest actress. She recently sold a majority stake in her production company for$900M. Anniston’s estimated net worth is in the $300M range. 

Edited by TonyTexas