Tegna - AT&T Dispute

Chet Steadman

AT&T has dropped over sixty stations nationwide in an ongoing dispute with Tegna.  Locally, KVUE is now off-air through Uverse/DirectTV.  Additionally, there are crawls on both KXAN and Fox7 too although I am not certain they are related.  Nearly every major market in the country lost at least one network channel through these services.

More than half of this nation's traditional cable subscribers remain and many of them don't need much more of a push to make the perma switch to YoutubeTV, HuluTV, etc.

The last few years haven't exactly been gangbusters for the cable companies viewership models.  Aside from the streaming services who likely see a huge boon, I can't imagine either side actually wins anything during these disputes, right?

Edited by Chet Steadman

11 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I continue to watch KVUE/ABC via the TV antenna, but its a bit of a PITA.  Can't record any ABC shows to the DVR, though.

Yeah, the message on AT&T TV Now is pushing you to Local Cast to watch for the time being. 

We lost channel 11 here in Houston. I’m about done with AT&T. There is always some bullshit with them. And with the Sunday Ticket most likely to be available to anyone after this year, it will be nice to tell them to fuck off.

5 minutes ago, Hate said:

We lost channel 11 here in Houston. I’m about done with AT&T. There is always some bullshit with them. And with the Sunday Ticket most likely to be available to anyone after this year, it will be nice to tell them to fuck off.

Forgot U-verse dropped Redzone too.  I’ll be done with them in 2021 too. 

We stay with directTV for one reason only, they have the best user interface, despite continually mucking with it. The disputes with channels suck but this is not limited to ATT/Directv. Running a backup antenna is a great idea if you can do it.

DirecTV used to have the best interface. It’s garbage now. Slow on unresponsive — it’s maddening. I need to finally cut the cord entirely but I’m too lazy to figure out what to do.

We lost ABC in DFW because of this shit. Locast is shitty too. If you don’t “subscribe” for $5/month you have to fight through an ad every 10 mins or so. Quality isn’t very good either. We had to watch the Clemson/VaTech game on Locast and it wasn’t ideal.

It's fucked up that ATT owns Uverse, DTV, and ATTVN and all have different channels (as in you can't get some channels on one service, but you can on others), different app access, different PQ.  Just a huge mess.

AT&T was my customer for 20 years. This surprises me not in the least.

18 hours ago, C-Man said:

DirecTV used to have the best interface. It’s garbage now. Slow on unresponsive — it’s maddening. I need to finally cut the cord entirely but I’m too lazy to figure out what to do.

We lost ABC in DFW because of this shit. Locast is shitty too. If you don’t “subscribe” for $5/month you have to fight through an ad every 10 mins or so. Quality isn’t very good either. We had to watch the Clemson/VaTech game on Locast and it wasn’t ideal.

Agreed. Since its last "update," the DirecTV interface has been terrible ... the worst is the search feature. I search for "Texas football" and I get 300 college football games, none involving the Longhorns.

31 minutes ago, Hate said:

There is nothing I like about Direct Tv. As soon as the Sunday Ticket is available from different providers I will be switching.

My parents had UVerse, and they hated it for what seemed like valid reasons.  Buggy, longer lag on live events, bad PQ, confusing guide, etc. 

So they (on my rec) tried an Apple TV with DTVNow (Now ATTTVNow) and got all the associated Apps for most channels.  It was just over their heads - they hated that the channels were in alpha order and didn't have "channel numbers," they didn't like not using a DVR because you could watch CSI: Des Moines whenever you wanted instead of when it was "on," they hated that when you switch TVs and it would start where you left off on the other TV, they hated that you could go back and watch old episodes (and even old seasons) of Grey's Anatomy because it was too hard to find "the new one."  On and on.  Basically every feature that makes internet-based, on-demand TV worth having was something they bitched about.  It was very frustrating.

Anyway, they moved to regular DTV and love it because, frankly, it's the most like the old cable TV that they're used to.  Each TV is a completely separate unit and needs a separate setup (they like boxes on top of their TVs).  HBO has an "East Coast" feed and a "West Coast" feed, and the Family version, etc.  Premium channels are in another color on the guide.  You push "234" (or whatever) on your giant 4-D-cell battery remote to watch ESPN, or 235 for "ESPNNews".  If you want to watch a particular show and it's not on right now, you set it to record and then at some point in the future it's there on your DVR, like a present.

So that's what I think of when I hear someone still has DTV/Dish/Cable.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

My parents had UVerse, and they hated it for what seemed like valid reasons.  Buggy, longer lag on live events, bad PQ, confusing guide, etc. 
So they (on my rec) tried an Apple TV with DTVNow (Now ATTTVNow) and got all the associated Apps for most channels.  It was just over their heads - they hated that the channels were in alpha order and didn't have "channel numbers," they didn't like not using a DVR because you could watch CSI: Des Moines whenever you wanted instead of when it was "on," they hated that when you switch TVs and it would start where you left off on the other TV, they hated that you could go back and watch old episodes (and even old seasons) of Grey's Anatomy because it was too hard to find "the new one."  On and on.  Basically every feature that makes internet-based, on-demand TV worth having was something they bitched about.  It was very frustrating.
Anyway, they moved to regular DTV and love it because, frankly, it's the most like the old cable TV that they're used to.  Each TV is a completely separate unit and needs a separate setup (they like boxes on top of their TVs).  HBO has an "East Coast" feed and a "West Coast" feed, and the Family version, etc.  Premium channels are in another color on the guide.  You push "234" (or whatever) on your giant 4-D-cell battery remote to watch ESPN, or 235 for "ESPNNews".  If you want to watch a particular show and it's not on right now, you set it to record and then at some point in the future it's there on your DVR, like a present.

Yeah, I suspect my wife will feel this way once we cut the cord.

1 hour ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Same with my 75 year old mom. She wanted Netflix but could never get a handle on how to switch to the netflix app and then back to cable. Or that she had free show/movies with an Amazon Prime app.  I've noticed part of the problem was motor skill issues in being able to use some of these remotes that might multiple directions to click on an app, and it's practically impossible to get her to correctly use a touch pad like with the Apple TV remote.  Cord cutting isn't going to work for her ever.

I do dread that as she ages, she will find fewer options as "cable TV" is quickly disappearing. I assume some expensive options will remain.  I cringe when I see her cable bill but its well within her budget since she spends so little elsewhere, so who cares.

Personally I've come around to thinking that a DVR offers little value today. The only time I could maybe use it is with network non-sports/news OTA that takes up about 1-2 hours per week. If I miss an entire show, its usually on the network website the next day. Everything else is either live or on-demand. I was a relatively early adopter (2001 or 2002?) of Tivo but I haven't had a DVR in 6-7 years. Don't miss it in the slightest. 

5 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I bet they really hate not having wires coming out of the wall running all over the floor. 

Old people and technology are a terrible match. I have to 'program' my mom's dish remote at least once a month. She hits the guide button too many times and then can't see all the channels. And it's always "I don't know what I did."

On 12/14/2020 at 11:51 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I do dread that as she ages, she will find fewer options as "cable TV" is quickly disappearing. I assume some expensive options will remain.  I cringe when I see her cable bill but its well within her budget since she spends so little elsewhere, so who cares.

My mom had to cut out cable TV for the bills, and while she's in her late 60s, she has no problems with Netflix, etc.

Philo hooked her in - it's $20, seems to have an interface closer to the older-style interfaces, has DVR-like capability (unlimited as well) has her Hallmark, HGTV, and Food Networks

The AT&T and Tegna dispute has come to an end. The two companies released the following joint statement Sunday morning.

TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) and AT&T (NYSE: T) have entered into a new multi-year retransmission consent agreement to provide TEGNA-owned local broadcast stations to customers of AT&T’s video platforms across the country. All TEGNA stations are returning today to any impacted AT&T homes.

AT&T and TEGNA regret any inconvenience to their customers and viewers and thank them for their patience.

The agreement includes retransmission consent for all 64 TEGNA-owned stations serving 51 Nielsen markets including Atlanta, Charlotte, Cleveland, Dallas, Denver, Houston, Indianapolis, Minneapolis, New Orleans, Phoenix, Seattle, St. Louis, Tampa and Washington, among many others. Terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

• Hook 'Em 1