2018 San Antonio Spurs Offseason Thread -- Into the Great Unknown

Patrick Bateman

5 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Thoughts on Kawhi deal with Celtics that brings Kyrie Irving to SA?

Straight up?  Meh.  Kyrie has a degenerative knee issue and his deal will be up after the season.....  He's young and an obvious talent but we also have a ton of guards.  It's a band aid thrown at a bullet hole.

9 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Straight up?  Meh.  Kyrie has a degenerative knee issue and his deal will be up after the season.....  He's young and an obvious talent but we also have a ton of guards.  It's a band aid thrown at a bullet hole.

What he said. 

24 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Kyrie has a degenerative knee issue and his deal will be up after the season.....  He's young and an obvious talent but we also have a ton of guards.

How could you pass up a chance to pair a guy who thinks the world is flat with one who things earth is an illusion? We might have to bring Rodman back as an assistant coach. 

1 hour ago, Gut Wagon said:

LBJ opting out in Cleveland might be a signal he'll go to the Lakers with or without anything definitive on KL or PG's situations. But who really knows? Besides Uncle Dennis, I mean. 

He's going to LA..... I think he's known for a few months.  He wanted to leverage the Lakers and Spurs into making a deal but when he couldn't put enough pressure on them, he was forced to tip his hand b/c of his opt in deadline.  I have no idea on Paul George.  I think he's still leaning to LA.  If that happens, LA fans will be ecstatic but if they want Kawhi, it still has to happen this summer.  And the Lakers still aren't better than the Warriors and probably not Houston with only George following.  If they can't complete the deal then there won't be money for Kawhi to go to LA in FA next year.  If/when that happens, then his tune will change and he'll simply want to go to a good situation and the teams who have decried they were getting a rental will now know they'll most likely be able to re-sign him OR at a minimum, trade him in a S&T if it comes down to it..... We're in a good situation regardless although Randle getting an offer sheet the first 24-48 hours of FA would help us with the Lakers, then they'd really be on the clock.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

If they can't complete the deal then there won't be money for Kawhi to go to LA in FA next year.  If/when that happens, then his tune will change and he'll simply want to go to a good situation and the teams who have decried they were getting a rental will now know they'll most likely be able to re-sign him OR at a minimum, trade him in a S&T if it comes down to it..... We're in a good situation regardless although Randle getting an offer sheet the first 24-48 hours of FA would help us with the Lakers, then they'd really be on the clock.

I'm confused. You think the Spurs get more leverage if LeBron and PG sign in LA as free agents? Why can't the Lakers move assets, Deng, etc later in the offseason or next season? It seems to me the maximum amount leverage the Spurs will ever have is while Lebron's destination is up in the air.

He's going to LA..... I think he's known for a few months.  He wanted to leverage the Lakers and Spurs into making a deal but when he couldn't put enough pressure on them, he was forced to tip his hand b/c of his opt in deadline.  I have no idea on Paul George.  I think he's still leaning to LA.  If that happens, LA fans will be ecstatic but if they want Kawhi, it still has to happen this summer.  And the Lakers still aren't better than the Warriors and probably not Houston with only George following.  If they can't complete the deal then there won't be money for Kawhi to go to LA in FA next year.  If/when that happens, then his tune will change and he'll simply want to go to a good situation and the teams who have decried they were getting a rental will now know they'll most likely be able to re-sign him OR at a minimum, trade him in a S&T if it comes down to it..... We're in a good situation regardless although Randle getting an offer sheet the first 24-48 hours of FA would help us with the Lakers, then they'd really be on the clock.

Pretty good insight. Are you close to 100% sure Kawhi winds up with the Lakers, Celtics or Sixers for the 2018-19 season?

7 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

I'm confused. You think the Spurs get more leverage if LeBron and PG sign in LA as free agents? Why can't the Lakers move assets, Deng, etc later in the offseason or next season? It seems to me the maximum amount leverage the Spurs will ever have is while Lebron's destination is up in the air.

The thinking there is that Leonard will pretty much lose the threat/dream of joining the Lakers are a FA signee next summer if they sign James and George this summer. The only they can get all three is if they work a trade for Leonard. With the threat of him bolting wherever we decide to send him to sign with the Lakers after playing next season pretty much gone, teams like the Celtics or Sixers might be more comfortable parting with good pieces to get him there.

13 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

Because moving the Deng contract still won't give them enough cap space to sign Kawhi as a free agent in the summer of 2019 unless he's going to take a markedly below market deal unless the Lakers were to gut their team and renounce all their dudes.  In other words, it becomes unbelievably costly (pretty much unrealistic) to try and sign Kawhi next summer.  Once that avenue to go to the Lakers is effectively dead for Kawhi, the other teams understand their chances of re-signing him jump extraordinarily. 

In simple terms, Kawhi's threat of "I'll just sign with the Lakers next year" becomes empty.  His team will now have to move off such a hard line position and be more realistic.  It's already happening if you read some of the other noise out there.  They're already talking about Philly being a good spot too..... so basically, the leverage is still there for the Spurs.  Lebron is still going to want Kawhi before he officially signs, but the East teams now know they can get Kawhi into their fold for the L-T....

Edited by Patrick Bateman

12 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Pretty good insight. Are you close to 100% sure Kawhi winds up with the Lakers, Celtics or Sixers for the 2018-19 season?

If I had to bet, it's the Lakers or Philly....... Celtics and Clippers are a level or two below.  Then you have darkhorse orgs like Miami or even a Denver or Phoenix.

Because moving the Deng contract still won't give them enough cap space to sign Kawhi as a free agent in the summer of 2019 unless he's going to take a markedly below market deal unless the Lakers were to gut their team and renounce all their dudes.  In other words, it becomes unbelievably costly (pretty much unrealistic) to try and sign Kawhi next summer.  Once that avenue to go to the Lakers is effectively dead for Kawhi, the other teams understand their chances of re-signing him jump extraordinarily. 

In simple terms, Kawhi's threat of "I'll just sign with the Lakers next year" becomes empty.  His team will now have to move off such a hard line position and be more realistic.  It's already happening if you read some of the other noise out there.  They're already talking about Philly being a good spot too..... so basically, the leverage is still there for the Spurs.  Lebron is still going to want Kawhi before he officially signs, but the East teams now know they can get Kawhi into their fold for the L-T....

You might be right, but the NBA money deal seems to complex to have it all figured out. I can't remember a team ever missing out on a player once that player decided where he wanted to go. For example, in this scenario, couldn't the Lakers trade Deng, young players, and picks to take more money back than they are sending out. How soon can they trade Randle if he resigns in this scenario?

9 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

You might be right, but the NBA money deal seems to complex to have it all figured out. I can't remember a team ever missing out on a player once that player decided where he wanted to go. For example, in this scenario, couldn't the Lakers trade Deng, young players, and picks to take more money back than they are sending out. How soon can they trade Randle if he resigns in this scenario?

So.... as I stated, they could still trade for Kawhi, either with the Spurs this year or let's say Philly next year.  But the risk for a Philly or Boston was always they trade assets for Kawhi and then he leaves in free agency and they are left with nothing.  If Kawhi has to be traded to get to LA, then Philly will be recoup'ing assets back.  Let's say Randle and Ball to make the money work (Kawhi is signing for somewhere 32 million max).  The only way he could go to the Lakers as a free agent after Lebron and PG are traded or sign is the Lakers would have to basically get rid of almost every player of value by trade or renounce.  Why would they do this?  They wouldn't.  Just trade for him and keep his Bird rights....

11 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

So.... as I stated, they could still trade for Kawhi, either with the Spurs this year or let's say Philly next year.  But the risk for a Philly or Boston was always they trade assets for Kawhi and then he leaves in free agency and they are left with nothing.  If Kawhi has to be traded to get to LA, then Philly will be recoup'ing assets back.  Let's say Randle and Ball to make the money work (Kawhi is signing for somewhere 32 million max).  The only way he could go to the Lakers as a free agent after Lebron and PG are traded or sign is the Lakers would have to basically get rid of almost every player of value by trade or renounce.  Why would they do this?  They wouldn't.  Just trade for him and keep his Bird rights....

I understand what you're saying, but it seems like a Laker overpay (pre-Lebron) was always the Spurs best option. Teams like the Celtics and 76ers aren't being held over the barrel by a superstar, so there assessment of Kawhi's value takes into account his injury, flakiness, and behavior over the past year more than the frantic Lakers assessment. I just don't see how eliminating an irrational actor from the bidding helps the Spurs.

1 hour ago, Ricky Butler said:

I understand what you're saying, but it seems like a Laker overpay (pre-Lebron) was always the Spurs best option. Teams like the Celtics and 76ers aren't being held over the barrel by a superstar, so there assessment of Kawhi's value takes into account his injury, flakiness, and behavior over the past year more than the frantic Lakers assessment. I just don't see how eliminating an irrational actor from the bidding helps the Spurs.

Because you were assuming the Lakers were going to be irrational.  The Lakers are motivated but not irrational and they likely understood Lebron was coming regardless.  It introduces more players into the game in this scenario.  More teams have an idea that Kawhi will be open to sign an extension with them.  It's not that we have more leverage but the leverage is more dispersed as Kawhi loses his trump card.  The Lakers will still be motivated and we have more teams operating on an equal playing field.  We'll see, but I think we're fine with this either way.... For me, I've always like more buyers than one, even if they have deep pockets.

8 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Because you were assuming the Lakers were going to be irrational.  The Lakers are motivated but not irrational and they likely understood Lebron was coming regardless.  It introduces more players into the game in this scenario.  More teams have an idea that Kawhi will be open to sign an extension with them.  It's not that we have more leverage but the leverage is more dispersed as Kawhi loses his trump card.  The Lakers will still be motivated and we have more teams operating on an equal playing field.  We'll see, but I think we're fine with this either way.... For me, I've always like more buyers than one, even if they have deep pockets.

Watching all this unfold is going to be great theater. You might be right.

1 hour ago, Grade of D as in David said:

It's being reported that lonzo tore his meniscus. Definitely hurts the Lakers bargaining position.

Where is that being reported?  As to Kawhi, we were faced with a star in 2007 who demanded a trade.  Dr. Buss told him no fucking way, we were able to trade for Pau, and won 2 more chips.  Not sure SA HAS to trade him like it seems.

10 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Where is that being reported?  As to Kawhi, we were faced with a star in 2007 who demanded a trade.  Dr. Buss told him no fucking way, we were able to trade for Pau, and won 2 more chips.  Not sure SA HAS to trade him like it seems.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2780687-lonzo-ball-reportedly-expected-to-be-ready-for-lakers-camp-after-knee-injury

Also don't call them chips. 

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Pretty bad to have your motives questioned as a teammate by a dude who plowed his previous teammate's wife.

Maybe but Parker was never disloyal to the Spurs organization. Parker has earned the right to say what he wants. Everything Parker said in regards to Kawhi was the truth. 

Bottom line is Parker helped the Spurs win 4 titles, often played through injuries, and took paycuts to help the Spurs win. Most Spurs fans don't care that he hurt Kawhi's feelings. Kawhi and his inner circle needs to grow a pair. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Kawhi and his inner circle need to get the fuck out of San Antonio.

Mainly just Uncle Dennis. I'm willing to bet when all of this ends he's at the center of all these problems. 

The "Kawhi wants to play in LA" narrative is how you know Uncle Dennis is trying to get his way. Kawhi is very much a small market personality. 

If the Lakers aren't offering Ingram, Kuzma, and other assets this is the direction I prefer we go. IMO Saric is better than both Ingram and Kuzma individually. 

Covington is a really good defender too. People don't realize that Covington was named first team all defense this year. 

Throw in a draft pick and either Fultz or Zhaire Smith and I like this deal much more than the Lakers. 

Edited by texasstrong12

9 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

TP calling it Kawhi was the last straw according to whatever new bullshit his camp has come up with

https://uproxx.com/dimemag/tony-parker-injury-kawhi-leonard-last-straw-spurs/

This part was my favorite:

"Kawhi Leonard left San Antonio, and he didn’t want to be a part of that media glare there and did not come back until the season was over with.”"

yea, that crazy San Antonio media that wouldn't leave him alone. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I wondered at the time how that comment might effect things.

See I don't even think Tony was Talking shit.  I think he was highlighting the fact that no one on the team knew Wtf was going on.  The only thing Tony had as a reference was his own injury which WAS way worse, and so he was confused as to why it was taking so long. At least that's the way I interpreted it.   

• Like 1

Tony Parker had that complete tear at his age vs. something chronic from the younger Leonard.... i dunno, to get butt hurt over that just shows lack of maturity. While a complete tear is usually easier to fix surgically, it doesn't necessarily mean you'll be the same athlete once you return vs rehabbing a chronically inflamed quad.

So PATFO will reveal (in retirement) that they figured out Kawhi really wanted to get back to SoCal no matter what. Knowing they needed more firepower to stay competitive, they cleared him to play last season and had teammates turn on him when he didn’t. That finally lured Uncle Dennis into publicly making Kawhi the bad guy...and ultimately made it much easier to trade him with the blessing of Spurs fans.

That’s my fanciful story, and I’m sticking to it. 

So PATFO will reveal (in retirement) that they figured out Kawhi really wanted to get back to SoCal no matter what. Knowing they needed more firepower to stay competitive, they cleared him to play last season and had teammates turn on him when he didn’t. That finally lured Uncle Dennis into publicly making Kawhi the bad guy...and ultimately made it much easier to trade him with the blessing of Spurs fans.
That’s my fanciful story, and I’m sticking to it. 

That’s Jhawk level insight right there!