2018 San Antonio Spurs Offseason Thread -- Into the Great Unknown

Patrick Bateman

This part was my favorite:
"Kawhi Leonard left San Antonio, and he didn’t want to be a part of that media glare there and did not come back until the season was over with.”"

yea, that crazy San Antonio media that wouldn't leave him alone. 

That Dan Cook was pretty cutthroat

37 minutes ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

I wonder if Durant was right when he called Kawhi a system player.  

No..... he was dead wrong.  He wrote Paul George was better than Kawhi and there's zero evidence that claim is true.  That particular quote by KD has aged poorly.... Dude may be a sensitive Sue, but he balls when he's healthy and in between the lines.

3 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

No..... he was dead wrong.  He wrote Paul George was better than Kawhi and there's zero evidence that claim is true.  That particular quote by KD has aged poorly.... Dude may be a sensitive Sue, but he balls when he's healthy and in between the lines.

Durant is also kind of an idiot who says a lot of dumb shit.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

This part was my favorite:

"Kawhi Leonard left San Antonio, and he didn’t want to be a part of that media glare there and did not come back until the season was over with.”"

yea, that crazy San Antonio media that wouldn't leave him alone. 

Greg Simmons is literally worse than Paul Finebaum, Stephen A. Smith, and Chris Berman combined.

2 hours ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

I wonder if Durant was right when he called Kawhi a system player.  

Well, then KD needs to hope he doesn’t face a similar “system guy” in future playoffs. He was fortunate to survive the last such meeting. 

39 minutes ago, ZanTheFan said:

LeBron to LA seems like a lock

Rumblings that PG is re-upping for another year in OKC

Unless the Lakers throw in several unprotected picks then my money is on a friends+family deal with Philly.

LBJ to the Lakers and George staying where he is means LA has room to sign Kawhi next summer, no?

LBJ to the Lakers and George staying where he is means LA has room to sign Kawhi next summer, no?
Think that's right. But if Bron is in LA, doesn't a lineup of Simmons, Kawhi, Embiid + shooters feel like a threat to Golden State?

Not to mention - it's Pop and Brett Brown here. "This is family business."

1 minute ago, ZanTheFan said:

Think that's right. But if Bron is in LA, doesn't a lineup of Simmons, Kawhi, Embiid + shooters feel like a threat to Golden State?

Not to mention - it's Pop and Brett Brown here. "This is family business."

It does. I also think Leonard to the Celtics (minus Brown in a trade back to us) makes them an even better bet than a KL-Sixers mashup. Hell, I think I'd call the Warriors the underdog in that scenario.

1 minute ago, Patrick Bateman said:

PG staying in OKC, Lebron going to LA and a quick offer sheet to Randle by someone is our wet dream..... I mean we couldn't have scripted any better.  I still have my doubts, but fingers crossed.....

I get all of that but wouldn't we still rather deal with the Sixers or Celtics -- get KL out of the West and also presumably get better talent back. I reserve the right to flip on this is the Lakers are able to get some unprotected 1st rounders that could be sent to us. Zach Lowe had in his ESPN FA piece with the Lakers possibly giving up Ingram, Kuzma and two unprotected 1st's -- is that even remotely possible?

Kyrie vs Curry - slight advantage GS
Kawhi vs Klay - moderate advantage BOS
Tatum vs Durant- large advantage GS (for now)
Hayward vs Iggy - moderate advantage BOS
Horford vs Draymond - even

Bench - large advantage BOS
Coaching - moderate advantage BOS

Overall looks very close. Boston would likely be favored.

2 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I get all of that but wouldn't we still rather deal with the Sixers or Celtics -- get KL out of the West and also presumably get better talent back. I reserve the right to flip on this is the Lakers are able to get some unprotected 1st rounders that could be sent to us. Zach Lowe had in his ESPN FA piece with the Lakers possibly giving up Ingram, Kuzma and two unprotected 1st's -- is that even remotely possible?

Yes... optimally, we'd prefer to send him East.  However, we should take the best deal possible.  And yes, that deal from LA is possible and I would say it the minimum we should consider....

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

Kyrie vs Curry - slight advantage GS
Kawhi vs Klay - moderate advantage BOS
Tatum vs Durant- large advantage GS (for now)
Hayward vs Iggy - moderate advantage BOS
Horford vs Draymond - even

Bench - large advantage BOS
Coaching - moderate advantage BOS

Overall looks very close. Boston would likely be favored.

Uh how would Boston get Kawhi in that scenario

That’s a good thing.....I think.

And what good really are unprotected picks from the Lakers if they get LJ and KL? I guess they could be packaged for something else, but I wouldn’t consider them a huge deal since they would inevitably by late round picks. Maybe I’m wrong though.

That’s a good thing.....I think.

And what good really are unprotected picks from the Lakers if they get LJ and KL? I guess they could be packaged for something else, but I wouldn’t consider them a huge deal since they would inevitably by late round picks. Maybe I’m wrong though.

They would need to get a third team involved that has a better chance of having a lottery pick.

I’d rather tell them to fuck off in either case and trade Kawhi elsewhere.

3 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

I'd rather just sit him for another year of his prime and tank his value

I'm really starting to like this option. Make him suit up and prove he's worth a shit. Make him ball out for the Spurs so that he and uncle Dennis can get that lakers contract next year. In the meantime, we can work on a deadline trade package or rebuilding of the relationship.

He would have to play hard and not fake injuries for the entire season and post season or he would destroy his reputation and market value.

Renting Rudy Gay for another year is the first bit of good news related to this team that I've read in months. $10M might not be ideal, but he seems worth it. 

Weeks ago, I still held out hope that the Kawhi situation could be mended. At this point, however, the damage seems to be done. Even if the fans took him back, doubtful his teammates will. He really turned into a gigantic weeping vagina and let everyone down.

5 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

PG staying in OKC, Lebron going to LA and a quick offer sheet to Randle by someone is our wet dream..... I mean we couldn't have scripted any better.  I still have my doubts, but fingers crossed.....

Lebron heading to LA before they land Kawhi would be a dumb move on his part. 

The Lakers won't even be a top 4 team in the West unless they land Kawhi. 

I don't think Lebron thought this through. Lebron going to play with a bunch of kids isn't exactly a smart business decision if winning is his primary goal. Maybe it isn't. 

Edited by texasstrong12

10 hours ago, C-Man said:

No, it’s not.

1 hour ago, ZanTheFan said:
1 hour ago, PilotsError said:
On Simmons' podcast yesterday he said word was Kawhi's camp went to see seven or eight doctors to find one who would tell him to sit out for the year.

The one they landed on is the 76ers doctor!

I don't think that's right. He was supposedly rehabbing with the sixers staff. I was told his doctor was from Africa or Asia or some shit. I didn't know that he had run through that many of them though. Makes sense.

Also, Marco is a good deal and they desperately need outside shooting but again, they are really guard heavy.

They are expecting Manu back. 

Great deal for Rudy Gay. Regardless of what happens with Kawhi they need him. 

• Like 1

They are expecting Manu back. 

I have slightly mixed emotions. On one hand I love him as much as I love Timmy - they are both impeccable IMO. On the other, I don't want to see him hang on too long.

I wonder if Marco allows for Manu to get more built in nights off. Could we see 2-3 game stretches where you just plug Marco instead of Manu? Manu was always seemed far more effective after a few days rest.