2018 San Antonio Spurs Offseason Thread -- Into the Great Unknown

Patrick Bateman

This has been getting some footing online..... Maybe nothing, but rumors are Butler won't extend in Minnesota and may look to move on.

Texas kid.... now, he grew up a Rockets fan but they really have no way to get him unless they want to trade Capela or he wants to take a lot less money.  I think getting a 3rd team involved may make the most sense, but Kawhi for Jimmy and couple of picks?  Simply another leverage point.

8 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

This has been getting some footing online..... Maybe nothing, but rumors are Butler won't extend in Minnesota and may look to move on.

Texas kid.... now, he grew up a Rockets fan but they really have no way to get him unless they want to trade Capela or he wants to take a lot less money.  I think getting a 3rd team involved may make the most sense, but Kawhi for Jimmy and couple of picks?  Simply another leverage point.

If the rockets don't want to do a Capela for Butler trade they should fire their entire front office. That's like the Lakers balking at a Kawhi for Javale McGee trade.

50 minutes ago, Llogg said:

If the rockets don't want to do a Capela for Butler trade they should fire their entire front office. That's like the Lakers balking at a Kawhi for Javale McGee trade.

I think he meant trade Capela for the cap space, not talent for talent. Because the Rockets front office should also be fired for offering Capela for Butler. Not that they have any more realistic or enticing options to offer.

Wish something would happen already. Maybe this is why I'm not an NBA GM, but all this waiting has brought my price down, I'd be happy with Saric/Covington/1st round pick. Or even Ingram/"B" prospect/pick. I've softened on our impending "doom," as a playoff team returning essentially the same team, with a PG who is due to make a 3rd year jump, while retaining Rudy Gay (which I did not expect at all) in a 2nd year of the Spurs' system, I don't see how we don't improve with an extra talented piece or two. Kawhi played 9 games last year and we haven't lost a huge part of our playoff team (unless you count Tony as that, which I don't).

1 hour ago, Llogg said:

Not exactly....

29 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

I think he meant trade Capela for the cap space, not talent for talent. Because the Rockets front office should also be fired for offering Capela for Butler. Not that they have any more realistic or enticing options to offer.

Wish something would happen already. Maybe this is why I'm not an NBA GM, but all this waiting has brought my price down, I'd be happy with Saric/Covington/1st round pick. Or even Ingram/"B" prospect/pick. I've softened on our impending "doom," as a playoff team returning essentially the same team, with a PG who is due to make a 3rd year jump, while retaining Rudy Gay (which I did not expect at all) in a 2nd year of the Spurs' system, I don't see how we don't improve with an extra talented piece or two. Kawhi played 9 games last year and we haven't lost a huge part of our playoff team (unless you count Tony as that, which I don't).

Correct.  Houston is already over the cap and Capela's expected deal will be about Butler's number.  They could trade in December if everything came together.  The Rockets have little else to trade.

I think the USA minicamp is now a big target for the Kawhi situation beyond the Supermax window.  If he shows up and works out and looks good, then it will assuage some teams concern about his health.  If he doesn't then...... welp.

Also, Cris Carter saying Pop will try and accommodate Kawhi to get him to his preferred destination, but Spurs priorities come first.  Carter thinks it'll be LA to either team.  Carter isn't a NBA guy so this only matter because Carter and Kawhi shared the same playing agent.  I'm sure Pop will try but if we get a better offer, he's going to the highest bidder.  Folks who don't like the wait, should probably just check out until mid August to see if anything has happened.

I'm about to force myself to take a break from closely following this nonsense.  However, for my own sanity here are the key dates coming up I'm aware of:

• July 16 - first date designed player extension can be offered/signed
  • July 26 - USA basketball minicamp
  • late September - Spurs training camp
  • October - deadline to sign DPE agreement?
  • Feb 2019 - trade deadline

Maybe this gets resolved by mid to late September?  Ugh ... enough already.  

A lineup of

Murray
Butler
Green
Gay
Aldridge

would be the best defensive lineup in the league. You could switch against Houston and Golden State and have 4 playmakers on the court. You could even harass top offenses. It’s championship-level if everything comes together.

Then the bench becomes an asset. That being said if Green and Mills cant shoot consistently, Murray doesn’t advance and Gay and LA show their age, 1st round exit if you even make the playoffs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Throw in a draft pick or two to the Spurs? 

1.  Can't imagine Philly would accept this for DeRozan, a wing who can't hit 3's.

2.  Spurs are at 14 guaranteed contracts.  We can take on 1, maybe 2 more guys, and that's with Manu still out there.  That trade has us with 17 contracts and Manu.  

In short, no.  That has no chance of realistically happening.

And reportedly, DeRozan wipes his Social Media every summer so he can refresh it..... Funny if a betting site took that into account.

We must be waiting to make a move because we already have a billion guards 6'4" or below and have now been reported to have interest in Nwaba and Rodney Stuckey.  Again, all of this with Manu's decision still out there and 14 contracts on the roster.  We need another big guy.  Or maybe PATFO are simply trying to accumulate assets.  No idea, but makes me think we'll some how be trading for a big.  We need to decide what to do with Metu (broken wrist) and Blossomgame (one more G-League year?).  Maybe a 2 way contract for Brimah or Eubanks (yuck)....

9 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Dh_veevUwAA9Fpy.jpg

This is just.... weird.

I wish Tony the best of luck in the East conference. He was one of my favorite Spurs of all-time so it'll be weird seeing him in that jersey as well, but it's a business and he still has a desire to play a larger role so he did what was best for him and the Spurs.

Because of our lack of bigs, there was some thought he may be coming over, but with our cap situation, it probably wasn't financially feasible.  Our roster is still a real conundrum.  Our current front court looks like this:

Ce:  Pau, LMA (in small ball lineups)

PF:  LMA, Rudy (stretch), Davis (stretch)

We haven't signed or decided on Metu, who can probably only really play forward for now.  Sure feels like we have one more move left as we really only have one Center on the roster..... Or we could play Patty at center.

5 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Seeing a little chatter that Cris Carter has said the Clippers are trying to "move mountains" to get the pieces for a Kawhi trade.

They don't have any real pieces we'd want.  Maybe Tobias Harris but he's not a difference maker.  Nice player.  They'd have to get a 3rd or 4th team involved.

8 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

It was either Kyle Anderson or a cheap short-term alternative like this. 

We don't really need another stretch 4 or tweener with Bertans re-signed.  Could have easily gone with another big.  Rather have seen what Alex Len could have done than a journeyman like Cunningham with little upside.