Tell me about Nebraska

RollLeft

Say what you want about Nebraska, and you will, but you have to admit we still have a world class hype machine operating out of the athletic department. We lose the interior of the line and the team’s best offensive player (Ozigbo) but still were able to convince the preseason media industry we’d be much improved on offense.

We’re not.

5-7 team improves to make a bowl is a story based in reality. Hopefully.

• Like 1

Wisconsin has a system and culture in place but they don't have a single recruiting edge over Nebraska. Nebraska has better history, tradition, and brand name recognition. They should be the best team in the B1G West more often than not. Scott Frost looks like the coach who can get them there. He's recruited well so far. It's tough not to root for him. 

50 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Wisconsin has a system and culture in place but they don't have a single recruiting edge over Nebraska. Nebraska has better history, tradition, and brand name recognition. They should be the best team in the B1G West more often than not. Scott Frost looks like the coach who can get them there. He's recruited well so far. It's tough not to root for him. 

Serious question, is there a single year since the East/West split where Nebraska didn’t out-recruit everyone else in their division? Yet here we are. Wisconsin's beat Nebraska six straight games, just like we did when they were in the Big 12.

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

Serious question, is there a single year since the East/West split where Nebraska didn’t out-recruit everyone else in their division? Yet here we are. Wisconsin's beat Nebraska six straight games, just like we did when they were in the Big 12.

Coaching matters. Is it your contention that, because Bo Pelini and Mike Riley didn't have success at Nebraska, no coach ever will? I think Scott Frost is a better coach than those guys.

Edited by WhatTheBuck

9 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Coaching matters. Is it your contention that, because Bo Pelini and Mike Riley didn't have success at Nebraska, no coach ever will? I think Scott Frost is a better coach than those guys.

I'm not sure this post is aging well.

But no worries, Cornhuskers, we'll take you back right here in the B12.  I mean, we always beat you too, but at least it was only by 1 or 2 points most years. :)

On 9/25/2019 at 8:54 PM, mulletpelini said:

No one has picked Nebraska to win this weekend that I have seen.  I believe that Ohio State will treat Nebraska much like Zach Smith treats women.  It will be over early and Ohio State will show that they are probably the 3rd best team in America.  Nebraska has no shot.

prescient you are.

18 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

They  may be the best team in their division any given year, but they will never be nationally relevant again.  They fucked that up when they left the Big 12.

16 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

It is my contention that outside of Saban, playing pick-a-coach won't make a damn difference for Nebraska.  Sure, Frost might get them a little more competitive, but never to the level they once were. 

Tom Osborne thought they had a Texas/Oklahoma problem in the Big 12.  Well, he just traded it for a much worse Ohio State/Michigan problem in the Big 10.  They at least sat at the grownup table in the Big 12.  Decades of history, tradition and brand name recognition earned them that spot, even in their down years.  In the B1G, they will always sit at the kiddie table with no history, tradition or brand name recognition that anyone at the big boy table gives one fuck about.

• Like 2

Nebraska is nothing but a novelty in the Big Ten, and now that they're unable to field nationally relevant teams, that's all they'll ever be-- they'll never be in a position to butt aside Michigan or Ohio State because they don't bring the same TV eyeballs and don't win enough. As one of the two standards of the legacy Big 8, they had a more or less guaranteed relevancy in the Big 12, and now that's gone.

They would be lucky to replicate Wisconsin's success. Madison is a few hours drive from Milwaukee and Chicago, all of which sit comfortably in the Big Ten footprint. Lincoln is a few more hours drive away from Kansas City, which isn't a Big Ten city anyway. They are geographically isolated and now play zero annual games in target-talent regions-- you are not going to achieve at the level Nebraska aspires to with a game in Champaign, IL, every two years and a game in Columbus (in which you get your brains splattered all over the field) every six. 

Nebraska's even damned by their efforts at maintaining traditional rivalries. They just played a home-and-home with Colorado, which, hey, I loved that rivalry and I watched both games, but playing a game in Boulder doesn't do much for recruiting. 

Iowa is pretty much their role model. That's what they can aspire to. 

• Like 1

You're overrating history as a factor.  The last time Nebraska was nationally relevant was almost 20 years ago when these recruits weren't even alive.  Also, their history is a tad bit overrated.  They had three good runs, one in the 70's under Devaney and two under Osborne (early 80's and mid to late 90's), the latter of which was punctuated with his players having a level of lawlessness that made Barry Switzer blush.  Take out those runs and you have a lot of 2 and 3 loss seasons in the old Big 8.  They generally played an easy non con schedule, a game against a top 20 team (Okie State, Colorado, or Missouri), and then a final game against OU, which they lost more often than not.  9-2 was basically automatic.

Also factor in their use of partial qualifiers and a focus on strength and conditioning, which everyone does now.

As mentioned before, their ceiling now is basically Iowa.  They have no geographic recruiting base to begin with but at least in the Big 12 they had a Texas presence.  In the Big 10, they're tied to the Ohio and Michigan regions, which are declining to the point that Ohio State doesn't recruit much in Ohio anymore and Michigan has only a handful of blue chips every year.

I'm not exaggerating when I say this but UCF has more long term upside than Nebraska.  They have 60K students, are in a large and growing market and surrounded by blue chip recruits.

• Like 4

Nebraska fans love, love, love to travel in large numbers to Husker road games. Off the top of my head, of the ten nearest away games in the combined B1G and Big XII, 7 (possibly 8) of them are in the Big XII. Even if Mizzou and Colorado still left the Big XII, places like Madison, Champagne, and Evanston are a good distance and are iffy in terms of traveling weather in November.

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

35 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

You're overrating history as a factor.  The last time Nebraska was nationally relevant was almost 20 years ago when these recruits weren't even alive.  Also, their history is a tad bit overrated.  They had three good runs, one in the 70's under Devaney and two under Osborne (early 80's and mid to late 90's), the latter of which was punctuated with his players having a level of lawlessness that made Barry Switzer blush.  Take out those runs and you have a lot of 2 and 3 loss seasons in the old Big 8.  They generally played an easy non con schedule, a game against a top 20 team (Okie State, Colorado, or Missouri), and then a final game against OU, which they lost more often than not.  9-2 was basically automatic.

Also factor in their use of partial qualifiers and a focus on strength and conditioning, which everyone does now.

As mentioned before, their ceiling now is basically Iowa.  They have no geographic recruiting base to begin with but at least in the Big 12 they had a Texas presence.  In the Big 10, they're tied to the Ohio and Michigan regions, which are declining to the point that Ohio State doesn't recruit much in Ohio anymore and Michigan has only a handful of blue chips every year.

I'm not exaggerating when I say this but UCF has more long term upside than Nebraska.  They have 60K students, are in a large and growing market and surrounded by blue chip recruits.

You forgot steroids. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Iowa is pretty much their role model. That's what they can aspire to. 

Iowa's also won four straight against Nebraska, which is kind of stunning.

The Big Ten division split was literally set up to give Nebraska as easy a path to the Big Ten title game as possible. Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, and Penn State were all lumped away from them in one division to battle it out. But just like in the Big 12 North, Nebraska's failed at taking advantage so badly that the Big Ten is starting to discuss abolishing divisions and just having their best two teams meet in the conference title game.

I've been to Lincoln twice - that place is a flat, depressing outpost in the middle of nowhere. The Huskers are >15 yrs removed from national relevance and their schedule consists of 11a games against Minn, Iowa, Illinois, Purdue, and NW. Aside from their loyal fans, there's little working in this team's favor. 

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

You serious, Clark?  Nebraska has a very rich history and is still considered by most to be one of a few true blue blood college football programs.  You don't have 5 modern era national championships and 3 heisman winners on a fluke.  But, but, but...take all that away and they're just an above average team.  Yeah no shit.  And if my aunt had a dick she'd be my uncle.

Agree with pretty much everything else you said and I don't think they'll ever be relevant again (especially if they say in the B1G), but to claim their history as overrated is grabbing at straws.

• Like 2

It is my contention that outside of Saban, playing pick-a-coach won't make a damn difference for Nebraska.  Sure, Frost might get them a little more competitive, but never to the level they once were. 
Tom Osborne thought they had a Texas/Oklahoma problem in the Big 12.  Well, he just traded it for a much worse Ohio State/Michigan problem in the Big 10.  They at least sat at the grownup table in the Big 12.  Decades of history, tradition and brand name recognition earned them that spot, even in their down years.  In the B1G, they will always sit at the kiddie table with no history, tradition or brand name recognition that anyone at the big boy table gives one fuck about.
hey they got away from Texas tho!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Osborne was right. Nolege DID have a Texas/OU problem in the big12.

Texas forced em to quit having every football player in Nebraska as a "walk on" as a condition for admittance to the big12. also that prop 48 (iirc) change fucked em. and Texas beating them handily.

Their OU problem was that they didn't have the marquee OU game on the schedule every year thus depriving N of an important rivalry. OU and TEXAS have each other and didn't need N as a rival.

and they didn't get away from Texas. Texas still lives in their heads.

21 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

prescient you are.

I've watched every game of two teams all year so far, OSU and Nebraska.  Watching Fields dismantle teams weekly, I knew that they literally had no chance.  They are out talented at every position.

12 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Nebraska fans love, love, love to travel in large numbers to Husker road games. Off the top of my head, of the ten nearest away games in the combined B1G and Big XII, 7 (possibly 8) of them are in the Big XII. Even if Mizzou and Colorado still left the Big XII, places like Madison, Champagne, and Evanston are a good distance and are iffy in terms of traveling weather in November.

For me personally, this is the biggest thing I hated about the move to the B1G.  I was sitting geographically, within 3 hours drive of 4 possible destinations to see a game every year, and none of those included Lincoln.  Tickets were always available at each as well.  At 8 hours drive, I picked up 3 additional.  which is how far the closest is B1G is to me.  7 compared to 1.  Bullshit.

10 hours ago, Big Frog II said:

This is underrated.  Their linemen use to be so juiced up that if you pricked them with a pin they would explode.  They no longer have those dominate lines.  Hence the downfall.

and that is the very fucking reason Nebraska was not competitive last night.  That Oline got ZachSmithed.

• Like 2

It is really sad to see the history and reputation of a football program like Nebraska's be pimped out to cable providers and networks, as it is exploited by the likes of Ohio State, UMich, and Penn State. Their move to the B1G was as hasty and greedy as it was shortsighted. Nebraska has been turned into a paycheck for the elite of that conference, and nothing more. Now Nebraska has no conference authority, no reputation, no recruiting footprint, and no real connection to any of the other Universities in the B1G. I do not think they will ever climb out of this mess.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Jabberwocky said:

It is really sad to see the history and reputation of a football program like Nebraska's be pimped out to cable providers and networks, as it is exploited by the likes of Ohio State, UMich, and Penn State. Their move to the B1G was as hasty and greedy as it was shortsighted. Nebraska has been turned into a paycheck for the elite of that conference, and nothing more. Now Nebraska has no conference authority, no reputation, no recruiting footprint, and no real connection to any of the other Universities in the B1G. I do not think they will ever climb out of this mess.

Username checks out.