2020-2021 NBA Thread of Insanity

ztejas

Just now, Patrick Bateman said:

The one challenge which MAY turn into an issue is too much of a good thing.  Sometimes, "super teams" take some time to figure out how to play with one another.  Lakers with the 4 HOFs with Malone/Payton.  Miami's big 3 in the first year.  A few other examples, but generally they figure it out.  They haven't played together much at all and when they did, they didn't look great.  So when KD comes back, that's a huge piece.  You're integrating your best player into a team which has been cruising without you.  It will be a challenge for him and a challenge for some of the others as they see shots, minutes, and energy taken away.  Now...... those are first world problems and these are veteran stars so I think they'll be fine if not for maybe a 10 game hiccup, but maybe an injury.  Maybe some chemistry issues.  I think they're the most talented team in the East right now, by a lot...... but with Covid and travel and injury, there is always risk.  Full strength?  I think they'll be the favorites..... no doubt unless a major piece moves to the Lakers.  Maybe the Clippers but it would have to be a really good major piece.

If ever there was a team that should have won a championship..still SMDH

I asked in this thread what the acquisition of D Rose would do to Julius Randle's development as NYK's best player and lead facilitator, and the answer is now clear: Thibs and Co. are stunting Randle/NYK's growth by taking the ball out of his hands and putting into the hands of the fragile and aging D Rose. Prior to Rose's arrival Randle was unreal, but he regressed to merely "really good" once Rose showed up. Since Rose's most recent injury Randle has been once again thriving. Randle tonight:

18 points, 17 assists, 10 rebounds

Ive gotten to watch NYK play a lot recently, and Randle is what makes them go. They surround him with shooters, spread the floor, put the ball in his hands, and make the defense pick their poison: either you let Randle kill you 1 v 1 with his dribble drive/finishing, or you double him and leave his shooters and slashers open. if Thibs wants his team to grow he needs to give his boy Rose a back seat to Randle when Rose is healthy again. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

I asked in this thread what the acquisition of D Rose would do to Julius Randle's development as NYK's best player and lead facilitator, and the answer is now clear: Thibs and Co. are stunting Randle/NYK's growth by taking the ball out of his hands and putting into the hands of the fragile and aging D Rose. Prior to Rose's arrival Randle was unreal, but he regressed to merely "really good" once Rose showed up. Since Rose's most recent injury Randle has been once again thriving. Randle tonight:

Ive gotten to watch NYK play a lot recently, and Randle is what makes them go. They surround him with shooters, spread the floor, put the ball in his hands, and make the defense pick their poison: either you let Randle kill you 1 v 1 with his dribble drive/finishing, or you double him and leave his shooters and slashers open. if Thibs wants his team to grow he needs to give his boy Rose a back seat to Randle when Rose is healthy again. 

I've always liked Randle.     The Rose trade made no sense whatsoever.   Thibbs just getting one of "his guys".   It has shown no positive effect IMO.

Edited by d2o

13 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Good call.  Longtime and suffering Knicks fan, he's at a good place where he can be the alpha. I caught a bit of the game last night and they had mentioned he already had 13 dimes by the 3rd qtr. 

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Crazy, just recently heard a discussion that L-James was now the no brainer MVP with a lot of other key players hurt or previously injured earlier this season...

Gonna be a lot more talk about too much wear and tear on players due to the short turnaround between bubble season and this year.

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Crazy, just recently heard a discussion that L-James was now the no brainer MVP with a lot of other key players hurt or previously injured earlier this season...

Gonna be a lot more talk about too much wear and tear on players due to the short turnaround between bubble season and this year.

There probably should be. These dudes are taking their bodies to the very extremities of human capability already. They should have shortened the season and left more gaps to put makeup games in and the like. It's not like a shortened season would ruin the year. Oh no, we only have 6 months of NBA instead of 9!

Edited by BradInATX

8 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

There probably should be. These dudes are taking their bodies to the very extremities of human capability already. They should have shortened the season and left more gaps to put makeup games in and the like. It's not like a shortened season would ruin the year. Oh no, we only have 6 months of NBA instead of 9!

They did shorten the season. 

3 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Shorter. It should have been something like 50 games. They've done it before. 

There’s not a lock out and they need the tv money. It’s not like he was injured due to wear and tear. It could’ve happened to anyone, and frankly the dude is the least injured superstar in any sport that I can think of. He’s a fucking freak.

Just now, Kermit said:

There’s not a lock out and they need the tv money. It’s not like he was injured due to wear and tear. It could’ve happened to anyone, and frankly the dude is the least injured superstar in any sport that I can think of. He’s a fucking freak.

Sure, but still. Injuries correlate to more games played in a shorter period of time, that's basically accepted science by now. Plus, as a Spurs fun you already know how shitty the second half of our season looks with a billion games in the last two months. It's pretty dumb. I get it, follow the money, but it's not ideal.

11 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Shorter. It should have been something like 50 games. They've done it before. 

There are injuries every season. This year doesn't seem like it has been worse than any other year. Keep in mind they got a huge break between the season being suspended and the bubble taking place. For non playoff teams, rookies, guys coming back from injury the layoff was actually much longer. 

I don't think we need to freak out because LeBron sprained his ankle. But I'm sure people will because it's LeBron. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

If the nets end up with the 1 seed in the East (or best record in the NBA) Harden should be MVP. They were 7-6 when he got there and they have gone 21-8 since the trade, while Durant and Irving have missed a combined what- 17 or 18 of those 29 games. He’s turned two more or less deeply buried bench players into massive contributors in Brown and Claxton, and those other guys have missed too many games or have too shitty a record (joker). If Denver goes on a run and finishes top 3 seed cool- vine it to the joker, but the idea of an MVP in the NBA being on a 6 seed, like the year Russ won it, is sick. It’s most valuable, not best player. 
Or, I suppose you could give it to the freak for the third time in a row and watch him get buttfucked in the playoffs again. 
Which I’d still prefer over a player on a 6 seed. 

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Sure, but still. Injuries correlate to more games played in a shorter period of time, that's basically accepted science by now. Plus, as a Spurs fun you already know how shitty the second half of our season looks with a billion games in the last two months. It's pretty dumb. I get it, follow the money, but it's not ideal.

True, so maybe instead of playing every fucking game while trying to win a 5th MVP trophy, dude should’ve sat some out for what really counts. The Spurs schedule is shit because of their covid issues. Thank you Quindarry Whitherspoon (allegedly). But yeah, follow the money. Bubble playoffs, All-Star game, crammed schedule, play-in tournament, 15 different jerseys.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

If the nets end up with the 1 seed in the East (or best record in the NBA) Harden should be MVP. They were 7-6 when he got there and they have gone 21-8 since the trade, while Durant and Irving have missed a combined what- 17 or 18 of those 29 games. He’s turned two more or less deeply buried bench players into massive contributors in Brown and Claxton, and those other guys have missed too many games or have too shitty a record (joker). If Denver goes on a run and finishes top 3 seed cool- vine it to the joker, but the idea of an MVP in the NBA being on a 6 seed, like the year Russ won it, is sick. It’s most valuable, not best player. 
Or, I suppose you could give it to the freak for the third time in a row and watch him get buttfucked in the playoffs again. 
Which I’d still prefer over a player on a 6 seed. 

Dude, are we just going to forget how he acted at the beginning on the season? You really think he deserves it after that show he put on? Fuck that shit, and fuck James Harden.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Dude, are we just going to forget how he acted at the beginning on the season? You really think he deserves it after that show he put on? Fuck that shit, and fuck James Harden.

This is the best argument against him. But since he got traded, I think he has done as much to win basketball games as any player in the league. That roster had huge issues after Dinwiddie went down and they gave up Allen - and Harden has helped them smooth over all of that with KD sitting a huge stretch. 

Idk if Harden would get my #1 vote but he has an undeniable top 5 case. 

36 minutes ago, Kermit said:

I’m a Rocket fan and Houstonian so I know what went down there. 
he has a horrible owner, they lost the GM and coach who he liked and trusted and they had no talent around him to give him any chance at winning a title. He told them low key he wanted out- they didn’t do it bc they are ducking stupid, and ended up the same place it was always going to end up. 
Yeah- do the optics look a little rough?  Sure. But it was way less egregious than Leonard or Anthony Davis or any other super star that decides its time to move on, so...

he was a loyal soldier for 8 years. The organization failed him. He did what he had to do. Unlike Leonard- who was literally just a bitch. 

• Hook 'Em 1