2020-2021 NBA Thread of Insanity

ztejas

7 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Is this musical interlude necessary?

No. Especially when it's horribly mixed and the lyrics sound like Anthony Hamilton wrote them 15 mins before it aired. 

Edited by ztejas

Agreed on the dunk contest. Lame.

It really starts and ends with the problem of nobody knowing who the hell the participants are. There were some other problems tonight but really they've sucked for a decade or so with a couple of random exceptions.

They need to find a way to incentivize the superstars to participate in it, even if it's just straight throwing cash at the winner. I want to see Giannis and LeBron throwing big thunder down not three G league rookies.

They need to have a minimum deficit going into the 4th. Like no matter what you're down by you can't start by more than 10 or 15 behind. Because this is kind of dumb.

I guess it would be that way anyway with "traditional" rules. But they put all of the onus on winning the Qs so teams don't really care what the total score is.

Edited by ztejas

They need to have a minimum deficit going into the 4th. Like no matter what you're down by you can't start by more than 10 or 15 behind. Because this is kind of dumb.

Team LeBron was up so much they knew it'd be unrealistic to do the typical "fuck around and let the score tighten up some" that teams do at the end. They just wanted to end it fast.

7 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Virgin Durant once again dominated by LeChad. How did KD not draft Steph #1 knowing that he never wins anything without him? Bad strategy.

Kyrie may have boycotted the rest of the season had KD picked Steph before him. Quite literally.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

It really starts and ends with the problem of nobody knowing who the hell the participants are. There were some other problems tonight but really they've sucked for a decade or so with a couple of random exceptions.

They need to find a way to incentivize the superstars to participate in it, even if it's just straight throwing cash at the winner. I want to see Giannis and LeBron throwing big thunder down not three G league rookies.

Just add the pro street ball dunkers and be done with it

11 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

the dunk contest is a relic they need to either get rid of it or revamp it like they did the home run contest. none of this shit is impressive anymore

None of that was impressive????

10 hours ago, BradInATX said:

I dont really get the thought about needing stars to do it.   Would those same dunks been better if Giannis or LBJ or someone of that stature did them?    The dunks done were "not impressive".     Are you all thinking they would do dunks better than those?    They wouldn't.

34 minutes ago, d2o said:

I dont really get the thought about needing stars to do it.   Would those same dunks been better if Giannis or LBJ or someone of that stature did them?

I think they would. Not "better" technically, but more entertaining and people would be more invested. The NBA is a stars league. It always has been. Having stars whom we are familiar with and where there are storylines is far more engaging than watching three guys who might or might not even be in the league in two years. The dunk contest pits all stars against each other and elevates existing stars to legends. None of that happens when the participants are two-way players who never get meaningful minutes.

The dunks done were "not impressive".     Are you all thinking they would do dunks better than those?    They wouldn't.

I wasn't one that said the dunks weren't impressive. There were some great dunks. Possibly better than the best dunkers in the ASG could have done. But the NBA has never been about the technical aspects of the sport.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

I think they would. Not "better" technically, but more entertaining and people would be more invested. The NBA is a stars league. It always has been. Having stars whom we are familiar with and where there are storylines is far more engaging than watching three guys who might or might not even be in the league in two years. The dunk contest pits all stars against each other and elevates existing stars to legends. None of that happens when the participants are two-way players who never get meaningful minutes.

I wasn't one that said the dunks weren't impressive. There were some great dunks. Possibly better than the best dunkers in the ASG could have done. But the NBA has never been about the technical aspects of the sport.

So bigger names doing worse dunks would make the contest better?   I just completely disagree with that concept but guess I am the minority in just wanting to see great innovative dunks.   I don't care who is dunking.

Further, this yr where they had to do the contest at halftime there is no way they big names were going to do it at half of a game they were playing even if it was an exhibition game.

Edited by d2o

13 hours ago, d2o said:

I dont really get the thought about needing stars to do it.   Would those same dunks been better if Giannis or LBJ or someone of that stature did them?    The dunks done were "not impressive".     Are you all thinking they would do dunks better than those?    They wouldn't.

It's always been super fucking lame that LeBron never once competed in a dunk contest. Agree that the dunk contest sucked this year. ..maybe the worst one ever.

Here's my own hypothetical dream NBA matchup deal:

Foour teams, starting out in "group play" like in soccer. All four teams play a home and home with the other three teams. The two teams with the best records (combined MOV as tie breaker) advance to a seven-game series for the crown. I ask you; which two teams would meet in the Finals, which team would win, and in how many games?

Team One: John Stockton, Michael Jordan, Julius Erving, Charles Barkley, Shaq- sixth man: Reggie Miller

Team Two: Magic Johnson, Dwyane Wade, Giannis Antetokounmpo, Tim Duncan, Moses Malone- sixth man: Klay Thompson 

Team Three: Oscar Robertson, Kevin Durant, LeBron James, Kevin Garnett, Nikola Jokic- sixth man: Kawhi Leonard

Team Four: Steph Curry, Kobe Bryant, Larry Bird, Karl Malone, Hakeem Olajuwon- sixth man: Scottie Pippen 

• Like 1

Tough to pick a winner but I'll take team four based on the criteria of "team with the best worst player" and complementary game. Team one and two each have a single shooter. Team 3 has KD and maybe you give Nephew a nod as a shooter. Team four has two of the top 10 shooters of all time, one of the top 5 2-way centers of all time, and two all-defensive team wings. Team four's worst player is the Mailman. I'll take him over KG and Moses for sure.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Llogg said:

Tough to pick a winner but I'll take team four based on the criteria of "team with the best worst player" and complementary game. Team one and two each have a single shooter. Team 3 has KD and maybe you give Nephew a nod as a shooter. Team four has two of the top 10 shooters of all time, one of the top 5 2-way centers of all time, and two all-defensive team wings. Team four's worst player is the Mailman. I'll take him over KG and Moses for sure.

i ended up going with team four myself, for similar reasons. they have the most balance/least deficiencies, and while they don't have a LeBron, Magic, or MJ on their team, their worst player is still one of the greatest to ever play. 

4 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

and the tweet doesn't even mention Christian Wood. yikes on bikes. 

Or Bruce Brown.

Related to the Pistons - every year it gets more and more ridiculous that arguably the greatest defensive player in NBA history isn't in the basketball hall of fame. 

Foour teams, starting out in "group play" like in soccer. All four teams play a home and home with the other three teams. The two teams with the best records (combined MOV as tie breaker) advance to a seven-game series for the crown. I ask you; which two teams would meet in the Finals, which team would win, and in how many games?

Team One: John Stockton, Michael Jordan, Julius Erving, Charles Barkley, Shaq- sixth man: Reggie Miller

Team Two: Magic Johnson, Dwyane Wade, Giannis Antetokounmpo, Tim Duncan, Moses Malone- sixth man: Klay Thompson 

Team Three: Oscar Robertson, Kevin Durant, LeBron James, Kevin Garnett, Nikola Jokic- sixth man: Kawhi Leonard

Team Four: Steph Curry, Kobe Bryant, Larry Bird, Karl Malone, Hakeem Olajuwon- sixth man: Scottie Pippen 

4 wins with very little drama. Best offense easily and second best defense (team 1). Major spacing problems with the other 3 teams too. Lebron's team is huge and slow. Team two has no perimeter shooting. Team 1 has a bunch of ball stoppers and perimeter issues on both sides of the ball.

Only team 4 has a a lineup that isn't hugely redundant.

Unless we shrink the court to fit into a double wide, they win easily.
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

4 wins with very little drama. Best offense easily and second best defense (team 1). Major spacing problems with the other 3 teams too. Lebron's team is huge and slow. Team two has no perimeter shooting. Team 1 has a bunch of ball stoppers and perimeter issues on both sides of the ball.

Only team 4 has a a lineup that isn't hugely redundant.

Unless we shrink the court to fit into a double wide, they win easily.

do me a favor- make a couple of switches that you see fit to make the teams more competitive. 

18 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Assuming we get everyone at their peak? I'll take team three. But probably just play Kawhi at the 2 and bench Jokic. Team 1 and 2 have spacing issues. Team 4 seems great on paper but I'd foresee some issues there - especially with Kobe. 

Peak LeBron and KG were absolute savages on both ends of the court. As we've seen with multiple teams, KD fits into any scheme beautifully regardless of play style or other personalities. Kawhi is a plus shooter, elite defender and has great size. LeBron would figure that shit out and have them humming. 

Give me team 3 over team 1 in the final - 6 games. 

In fact - in the all star game 2 years ago - didn't we see KD, LeBron and Kawhi all start together and close the game out? If I recall correctly - their D was absolutely suffocating. (It was actually Paul George - not Kawhi)

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

also a fwiw, a lineup of Oscar, KD, Kawhi, LeBron, and Garnett isn't slow at all if they don't want to be. Also a damn good defensive lineup. 

It is, but would have trouble with quicker guards.

I like your hypothetical. Fun exercise. I think adding a couple stretch bigs like Dirk (I like that you have jokic in there, makes you think about how that team would work, you could get creative). There's a dearth of bigs. It'd look like the 2005 Finals. Might swap some shooters (Nash Dirk Ray Allen) onto the teams running 3 bigs. Some slashers too.

also a fwiw, a lineup of Oscar, KD, Kawhi, LeBron, and Garnett isn't slow at all if they don't want to be. Also a damn good defensive lineup. 

It is, but would have trouble with quicker guards.

I like your hypothetical. Fun exercise. I think adding a couple stretch bigs like Dirk (I like that you have jokic in there, makes you think about how that team would work, you could get creative). There's a dearth of bigs. It'd look like the 2005 Finals. Might swap some shooters (Nash Dirk Ray Allen) onto the teams running 3 bigs. Some slashers too.