2020-2021 NBA Thread of Insanity

ztejas

The Heat say Meyers Leonard will be away from the team indefinitely as the NBA conducts an investigation into Leonard’s use of an anti-Semitic slur on a video game live stream

What the fuck do they need to investigate? There's video evidence and he already admitted/apologized for dropping the K bomb. Are they waiting to gauge the level of public outrage before deciding how to act? 

Edited by Blotto
  • Hook 'Em 2

Most of you probably don’t pay any close attention to the e-games streaming world but he’s friends with all of the professional gamers that have huge social media followings because it’s what he’ll fall back on when his nba career is done.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he actually cares more about call of duty than his team. He’s a huge nerd but needs to know how to hold it back and not like a 13 year old little shit talking loser. But yea the heat will sweep this under the rug if the faux outrage is minimal. maybe bring him back for playoffs to cheerlead

9 hours ago, Blotto said:

What the fuck do they need to investigate? There's video evidence and he already admitted/apologized for dropping the K bomb. Are they waiting to gauge the level of public outrage before deciding how to act? 

Yes. Teams and businesses act based on how the public reacts. If no one gives a shit, this shit will pass and he will be back with no issues.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Blotto said:

At least he got the slur right unlike this guy... 

spacer.png

5 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Like, "what if" he ends up as the ~13th best dude to ever lace them up than the 8th best?  

Precisely. Kind of like what if KG didn't waste a bunch of his career on those shitty TWolves teams. He already lost a potential 3rd straight FMVP to that achilles injury then tear.

3 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

And one of the 3 or 4 richest.  Tough life, I hope he has some people who can help him navigate his way through the these difficulties.

If you want to be a dick about it and miss the point, sure. He's already lost an entire season and almost another full season due to injury - both in the middle of his prime - and couldn't stay healthy in the middle of what should have been another championship run. 

No one is weeping for KD. Just pointing out that injuries have put a dent in some of his career accomplishments and I hope they don't continue to do so. He was towards the top of the MVP race this season before being sidelined. What if Bird hadn't fucked his back up fixing a driveway?

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

If you want to be a dick about it and miss the point, sure. He's already lost an entire season and almost another full season due to injury - both in the middle of his prime - and couldn't stay healthy in the middle of what should have been another championship run. 

No one is weeping for KD. Just pointing out that injuries have put a dent in some of his career accomplishments and I hope they don't continue to do so. He was towards the top of the MVP race this season before being sidelined. What if Bird hadn't fucked his back up fixing a driveway?

The Achilles tear was bad luck mixed with, if you want to be a skeptic, bad medicine.  This is a new NBA, the goal if you have an upper tier squad is to be healthy for the playoffs.  Load management rules.  Did Bird really fuck up his back working on his driveway?  I don’t know that story, but if that is true it is very on-brand.

What if KD lifted weights and didn't look like a national geographic kid all grown up?
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Did Bird really fuck up his back working on his driveway?  I don’t know that story, but if that is true it is very on-brand.

Yep. I've heard a lot of people say, "Well that's what made him great. You can't separate the man from the player." which is probably true. 

Magic had to basically retire at 31. Another interesting one.

Although Bird and Magic obviously each had a hugely successful first 10 years.

6 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

This is the last guaranteed year on his deal.  Next year is a team option.

Which I'm guessing they won't pick up. Combined with the season ending injury he will be recovering from I'm not sure anyone is going to want to take a flyer. But there are 30 orgs- he probably lands on the bench somewhere. 

11 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Lonzo would be seen in a completely different light if not for his last name and draft position.

Like how? I've always judged him based on his on-court impact. His first 3 years he was an average player on some shitty teams. Now he's a little above average on a shitty team.

I agree that he trends underrated but he's never been much more than a passable NBA guard.

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Like how? I've always judged him based on his on-court impact. His first 3 years he was an average player on some shitty teams. Now he's a little above average on a shitty team.

I agree that he trends underrated but he's never been much more than a passable NBA guard.

A good-sized 3-and-d guard with creativity on offense will always have value in the league.

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Lonzo is shooting .428 from the field and .387 on threes this year.  The .387 is fine, but he's still a middling efficiency player overall.   Also, that list in the Tweet is a who's who of guys that are good overall players but who aren't really as good of outside shooters as people think (Luka, Beal, Booker, freaking Lebron - does anyone even expect him to make 3s, etc.).

That's kinda the point.   He is better than a lot of guys that people tend to label as good 3P shooters yet his "broken jump" label has stuck.    He clearly still needs some work on his game but the fact that he is MUCH improved as a shooter should at least tell that he isn't opposed to putting in work to improve.

• Like 1

Shot selection is part of the game so I don't know how much value this comment has, but for whatever it is worth the threes that Those guys are taking are not the same as the threes lonzo gets. Lonzo isn't asked to iso or pick and roll into a step back three several times a game.

And Trae has always been over rated as a shooter. Confidence isn't always warranted.

• Hook 'Em 3

37 minutes ago, d2o said:

That's kinda the point.   He is better than a lot of guys that people tend to label as good 3P shooters yet his "broken jump" label has stuck.    He clearly still needs some work on his game but the fact that he is MUCH improved as a shooter should at least tell that he isn't opposed to putting in work to improve.

4 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Shot selection is part of the game so I don't know how much value this comment has, but for whatever it is worth the threes that Those guys are taking are not the same as the threes lonzo gets. Lonzo isn't asked to iso or pick and roll into a step back three several times a game.

And Trae has always been over rated as a shooter. Confidence isn't always warranted.

These are both correct.  Lonzo plays off the ball a lot more now and has his catch and shoot frequency has gone up, so has his overall percentages (as well as catch and shoot percentages).  In other words, he functions more as a 3 and D guy who can pass offensively because he's not initiating offense nearly as much (as Ingram and Zion) stake out more of the offensive creation.  His AST% falls as his 3 point shooting improves.  Good on him for taking time in the gym and working on his stand still jumpers but that's not really what folks hope he would evolve into or why he was drafted.  At 23, you can see some small improvements in his game and that will hopefully allow him to kick around the league, but by year 4, most great players are showing it.  He'll most likely be a role bench player who kicks around the league for a decade.  No shame in that.

4 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

He'll most likely be a role bench player who kicks around the league for a decade.  No shame in that.

I think his ceiling is a bit higher than that - he's getting like 30 mpg right now. Unless he improves his passing and overall scoring a bit I think you're probably right, though. He's basically a poor man's JKidd.

But you and Machinator are right in that perception and expectation can be a bitch. Whether it's a guy that was drafted really high or that was great in college - whenever they wind up being "just okay" in the NBA the public perception ends up accordingly being that they never panned out or were a bust. 

BTW - I looked up the league leaders for 3 point stats to see where Lonzo is - and discovered that Joe Harris is shooting .506 from 3 on 6.7 attempts per game. He's straight up leading the league in eFG%. What an awesome asset to pair with that big 3.

• Hook 'Em 1

Harris led the league at 3s with 47% I think two years ago, and he was at 42% last year.  He was already putting up some elite long distance shooting numbers, but yeah...with the gravity of everyone there now, he's probably living in a shooter dreamland right now.

• Hook 'Em 1

Harris is their 4th most important player for spacing.  An elite shooter.  Put him on the court with the other 3 and another long wing who can shoot 3’s and you got problems.  Pj Tucker would actually be great in Jersey but they are using Brown the same way so maybe too redundant.

Edited by Patrick Bateman