Official Coach Sark Thread of Dominance—haters back off

SimkinsMan

6 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Only the simplest of simpletons would say it was a bad call to leave a game in VY’s hands, regardless. 

The nature of sport, for people who have the remotest clue, is to put the game on your go-to guy. If he fails, he fails. This is why Carroll still gets shit for his Super Bowl call whereas if he gives it to Lynch and it failed, that would be that. 

Along the same line, it's why Reggie Bush not being in on 4th and 2 is so lolzy, cause of the implications.

10 hours ago, Zeus said:

That sequence of going fast and just running RB swing back and forth and getting 4-8 yards easy was so sweet. Bama defenders didn't have the speed on the back end to stop it, just punishing them with motion and scheme. 

How many times over the years have we been frustrated because our OC would make a great call, it would go for big yards, and we'd never see it again? Sark just kept calling it and taking the 4-8 yards. At one point my son said "They've run that play three straight times!" I said "Have they stopped it yet? No? Keep running it until they do!" 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Who gets the credit and the blame is a different question than whether a call can be judged as bad because it failed. 

VY slips on 4th and 5 and Texas loses to USC. Does that make the call bad?

Sweed drops the TD in Columbus. Does that make the call bad?

Yes. Sark made a lot of right calls. Dropped passes are on the WR. We could have won by 3 TDs. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, lilMAC25 said:

It was a great call, in no small part because it worked.

It was a great call because VY is VY. 

If you really want to take the position that had VY failed to convert 4th down, let alone score, that means leaving the ball in VY’s hands was a bad call, please step the fuck up and say that straight out. 

1 minute ago, Doc Daneeka said:

It was a great call because VY is VY. 

If you really want to take the position that had VY failed to convert 4th down, let alone score, that means leaving the ball in VY’s hands was a bad call, please step the fuck up and say that straight out. 

I haven’t intimated or implied that in any fashion. You’ve been attempting to place those words in my mouth since your first post including VY in the thread.

We also see you sidestepping my point about who gets the blame for the 5 straight losses to OU in the early 00s

Just now, lilMAC25 said:

I haven’t intimated or implied that in any fashion. You’ve been attempting to place those words in my mouth since your first post including VY in the thread.

We also see you sidestepping my point about who gets the blame for the 5 straight losses to OU in the early 00s

Then maybe stop with the backwards-looking evaluation of whether playcalls are good or not. Stupid calls work and great ones fail. 

Your “point” about OU has fuck all to do with evaluating the quality of a playcall based solely on results, so I’m not “sidestepping” it, I’m saying it’s an idiotic non sequitur and ignoring it. 

9 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Stupid debate is stupid.

What is not stupid is the offense that we're running. Now that Ewers has command and all the parts around him range anywhere from competent to elite, this thing should be humming. Sark's scheming and play calling is next level at manipulating and exploiting a defense. He had Saban's defense completely discombobulated Saturday. And Saban knows that offense from the inside-out. Sark just fucking handed Nick Saban his ass on a chalkboard.

What is really going to be fun is if this line takes the next step in run blocking. We won't see a front as big and as physical as Alabama's again unless we are fortunate enough to make the playoff. We start mauling people in the run game and it's going to be like watching a video game.

Also do expect the OL to get better and better throughout the season. They gel more and the communicate better.  Mauling folks with the run game by October/November 

9 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Stupid debate is stupid.

What is not stupid is the offense that we're running. Now that Ewers has command and all the parts around him range anywhere from competent to elite, this thing should be humming. Sark's scheming and play calling is next level at manipulating and exploiting a defense. He had Saban's defense completely discombobulated Saturday. And Saban knows that offense from the inside-out. Sark just fucking handed Nick Saban his ass on a chalkboard.

What is really going to be fun is if this line takes the next step in run blocking. We won't see a front as big and as physical as Alabama's again unless we are fortunate enough to make the playoff. We start mauling people in the run game and it's going to be like watching a video game.

Also do expect the OL to get better and better throughout the season. They gel more and the communicate better.  Mauling folks with the run game by October/November 

6 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Stupid debate is stupid.

Sark had his waterboy moment.  He out schemed the coach even though the coach had his playbook 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:

The changes he made were… adjustments? OK, what adjustments did he make?

I’ve only watched once and I wasn’t focused on that level of detail the first time through. What adjustments did he make that allowed the plays to start working again?

Sark came out and got the ball out quick horizontally which helped to negate the pass rush and get Bama defending the edges. Then when Bama started flooding the short stuff he pitched it over top. He came back to intermediate, and then hit them over top again, and then at the end ran the ball down their throat. This is nothing that we didn't try to do last year. In fact its classic Sark, which he calls the loop and outlines how he attacks here. It's just last year when we tried to do it the throw was off, or the receiver didn't run the correct route or dropped it. Sometimes it was quick pressure that destroyed it like in the Rice game.

I am assuming you know this and are simply trying walk @lilMAC25 to the answer, which was the guys on the field didn't make plays last year and this year they did. Last year teams populated the short and intermediate levels and we couldn't hit on the longer stuff to back them off.

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Sark came out and got the ball out quick horizontally which helped to negate the pass rush and get Bama defending the edges. Then when Bama started flooding the short stuff he pitched it over top. He came back to intermediate, and then hit them over top again, and then at the end ran the ball down their throat. This is nothing that we didn't try to do last year. In fact its classic Sark, which he calls the loop and outlines how he attacks here. It's just last year when we tried to do it the throw was off, or the receiver didn't run the correct route or dropped it. Sometimes it was quick pressure that destroyed it like in the Rice game.

I am assuming you know this and are simply trying walk @lilMAC25 to the answer, which was the guys on the field didn't make plays last year and this year they did. Last year teams populated the short and intermediate levels and we couldn't hit on the longer stuff to back them off.

Yes. Also tied in with that is his fixation on the idea that bad results mean the call was bad, when it could just as easily mean it was a call precisely calculated to take advantage of what the defense has been set up to expect but that was simply executed poorly. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Yes. Also tied in with that is his fixation on the idea that bad results mean the call was bad, when it could just as easily mean it was a call precisely calculated to take advantage of what the defense has been set up to expect but that was simply executed poorly. 

Well, he's been a pretty staunch defender of the notion that Sark just sucks, he's defined by his seven-win past, and it has little to do with talent or execution.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, he's been a pretty staunch defender of the notion that Sark just sucks, he's defined by his seven-win past, and it has little to do with talent or execution.

Which is exactly why telling him he’s wrong won’t work but maybe making him think about why he’s wrong might. Doubtful, but not impossible. Sarkisian hasn’t changed. The players and their abilities to execute fundamental football concepts have. There’s still progress to be made, obviously, but it takes effort not to recognize the progress and grasp why it’s happened.

Texas, with players who buy-in, trust, and can execute Sarkisian’s vision — along with what he’s learned from two guys who built programs — has every bit the opportunity to wreck shop at an Alabama or Georgia level, if not more. At least imo. 

Edited by Doc Daneeka

9 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I feel like he is just treading water until Steve "calls a bad game".

4 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

He called a bad third quarter but managed to recover. Apparently. 

I expect that Texas will have more than a few rough patches during the rest of the season and that there are some who wear burnt orange who are biding their time before they can jump on them. Some people, imo, given the option between being right or Texas kicking the bejeezus out of people, would rather be able to say “I told you so” than see Texas successful. 

Edited by Doc Daneeka
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

22 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

You might feel that way, but it’s just plain horseshit.

I’ve always said I don’t trust him but I’m pulling for the guy to win a championship and prove me wrong. I stated clearly that I think he’s done a damn good job this season (and an especially good one in the Bama game) and I hope it continues. That’s in game, pre game, recruiting, everything.

I believe Sark is (and has Texas) on the right trajectory, but I freely acknowledge that years of bad teams and bad coaching have me gun shy.

You want to proclaim that he’s done a great job since he’s been here and there’s no chance TEXAS crashes? Good for you. I’m not there yet.

Hopefully you’ll be able to continue to rub it in my face. When/if it happens, I know you won’t forget to tag me… 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

He called a bad third quarter but managed to recover. Apparently. 

I expect that Texas will have more than a few rough patches during the rest of the season and that there are some who wear burnt orange who are biding their time before they can jump on them. Some people, imo, given the option between being right or Texas kicking the bejeezus out of people, would rather be able to say “I told you so” than see Texas successful. 

3rd and 11 ball through the hands of J-Whitt. Colt had to lob it over #4 Christian Story to avoid it being picked off. Punt

3rd and 6 perfectly thrown ball to X in the end zone and Worthy dropped it. Then Auburn missed the field goal.

3rd and 2 and Sark drew up double short crossing routes. Sanders is supposed to run his route to create a natural pick to free up AD but Sanders runs a bad route and the DB slips right by. Ewers has to basically throw it away.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Thatguy said:

3rd and 11 ball through the hands of J-Whitt. Colt had to lob it over #4 Christian Story to avoid it being picked off. Punt

3rd and 6 perfectly thrown ball to X in the end zone and Worthy dropped it. Then Auburn missed the field goal.

3rd and 2 and Sark drew up double short crossing routes. Sanders is supposed to run his route to create a natural pick to free up AD but Sanders runs a bad route and the DB slips right by. Ewers has to basically throw it away.

I’m the choir in this scenario. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

You might feel that way, but it’s just plain horseshit.

I’ve always said I don’t trust him but I’m pulling for the guy to win a championship and prove me wrong. I stated clearly that I think he’s done a damn good job this season (and an especially good one in the Bama game) and I hope it continues. That’s in game, pre game, recruiting, everything.

I believe Sark is (and has Texas) on the right trajectory, but I freely acknowledge that years of bad teams and bad coaching have me gun shy.

You want to proclaim that he’s done a great job since he’s been here and there’s no chance TEXAS crashes? Good for you. I’m not there yet.

Hopefully you’ll be able to continue to rub it in my face. When/if it happens, I know you won’t forget to tag me… 

It may be horseshit, but I am not in your head. All I know is what I see, and I see you refusing to have reasonable discourse with @Doc Daneeka. I am just an observer.

10 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Colt????  Colt Ewers.  That actually sounds ok. 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

It may be horseshit, but I am not in your head. All I know is what I see, and I see you refusing to have reasonable discourse with @Doc Daneeka. I am just an observer.

A really really really bad one then.

1 minute ago, Beer Horn said:

Colt????  Colt Ewers.  That actually sounds ok. 

That dude would be a really good QB I bet.

5 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

A really really really bad one then.

That dude would be a really good QB I bet.

Not hard to see what is going on out there. When we struggled in the first half it was because of crucial drops. Then when we looked to be having the same inept 3rd quarter like we did all last year it was because we were throwing to the same guys that were responsible for our inept 3rd quarters last year. However, good thing we brought in AD Mitchell. He was responsible for 14 of the 21 we scored in the 4th. The defense and Brooks the other 7. So if you want to say Sark learned anything from last year and turned the corner, maybe he just learned he can't trust X when the pressure is on.

13 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Not hard to see what is going on out there. When we struggled in the first half it was because of crucial drops. Then when we looked to be having the same inept 3rd quarter like we did all last year it was because we were throwing to the same guys that were responsible for our inept 3rd quarters last year. However, good thing we brought in AD Mitchell. He was responsible for 14 of the 21 we scored in the 4th. The defense and Brooks the other 7. So if you want to say Sark learned anything from last year and turned the corner, maybe he just learned he can't trust X when the pressure is on.

You have already made my point. I didn’t say “Sark had a bad 3rd quarter”. I said the first drive (I believe I said “first part of the 3rd) wasn’t great. I pointed out in my next post (or maybe the one after) that we moved the ball quite well on the next two drives (due to Sark’s play calls) despite not scoring. I never blamed Sark for Texas failing to score on those drives.

(Edit: nor did I criticize Sark or Texas for “struggling in the first half.”)

You have preconceived notions about my mindset (as you have have clearly demonstrated in this thread) and took someone else’s word for what I typed instead of taking the time to actually read (observe what you actually can of my thoughts).

That is why I called you a really really really bad observer…. Well, that and all the time that you spent stumping for Charlie Strong.

Edited by lilMAC25

4 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

You have already made my point. I didn’t say “Sark had a bad 3rd quarter”. I said the first drive (I believe I said “first part of the 3rd) wasn’t great. I pointed out in my next post (or maybe the one after) that we moved the ball quite well on the next two drives (due to Sark’s play calls) despite not scoring. I never blamed Sark for Texas failing to score on those drives.

(Edit: nor did I criticize Sark or Texas for “struggling in the first half.”)

You have preconceived notions about my mindset (as you have have clearly demonstrated in this thread) and took someone else’s word for what I typed instead of taking the time to actually read (observe what you actually can of my thoughts).

That is why I called you a really really really bad observer…. Well, that and all the time that you spent stumping for Charlie Strong.

I spent the last two years listening to your opinions about Sark. I don't need to listen to anyone else. You are correct. 7 years ago I didn't think Strong got enough time. See how I owned that? 

16 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

I spent the last two years listening to your opinions about Sark. I don't need to listen to anyone else. You are correct. 7 years ago I didn't think Strong got enough time. See how I owned that? 

I’ve already “owned” that Sark is doing a great job this year. Pointing out that he needs to continue to do so isn’t some super negative statement.

Heck, I’ve set the bar for success fairly low (in my opinion) compared to a lot of folks on this board. An appearance in the BigXii CG is a successful season in my mind.

Can we agree give the other posters some peace for now? You’re welcome to call me out after the next game,I’ll wait to refute your call out until then. 

Edited by lilMAC25

On 9/9/2023 at 11:34 PM, crash_davis said:

The 4th down fumblerusky call was fucking ballsy as fuck. 

Best part of that play was reading Ewers lips as he walked back to the huddle. He was pointing at Brooks saying “I love you man, I love you man”

• Hook 'Em 2

On 9/10/2023 at 11:51 AM, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

"Huge. The University of Alabama, Nick Saban, Tuscaloosa — changed my life. At a moment of my life when things were not going great, he extended me an olive branch and everybody here was so supportive of me coming here. Then bringing me back a second time to then having had open-heart surgery while I was here. These people here mean a lot to me. I'm very grateful for everybody at Alabama and in Tuscaloosa for what they showed myself, my family, my wife, so to come here and to play them and to play the way that we played, it's humbling. Life kind of goes full circle on that kind of stuff. Not to get overly emotional about it, but it means a lot."

Man I love Sark's story so far. I love a flawed person who owns and accepted their failings and moves past it. What a great redemption story so far, seriously inspirational shit.

Is there anything more American than a good redemption story? Rooting for Sark is rooting for America. Literally.

Independence Day Usa GIF by CBSHappy World Cup GIF by FIFAAmerican GIF by MOODMAN

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Drool 1

54 minutes ago, horn_of_the_morning said:

Is there anything more American than a good redemption story? Rooting for Sark is rooting for America. Literally.

Independence Day Usa GIF by CBSHappy World Cup GIF by FIFAAmerican GIF by MOODMAN

Well, you can say what you want to about Sarkisian but we're not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America. 

Edited by Doc Daneeka
  • Hook 'Em 1

He’s easy to cheer for for sure. And thankfully he’s now in uncharted territory I think. Best win of his career, no bonehead decisions or poor execution by his players, expectations of a dominant season and everything there for it to happen. I definitely worry about Charlie Brown syndrome stuff and desperately hope we don’t have a stupid let down game and he blows through the ceiling. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, troph said:

He’s easy to cheer for for sure. And thankfully he’s now in uncharted territory I think. Best win of his career, no bonehead decisions or poor execution by his players, expectations of a dominant season and everything there for it to happen. I definitely worry about Charlie Brown syndrome stuff and desperately hope we don’t have a stupid let down game and he blows through the ceiling. 

There will be at least one letdown game. The question is whether he and the team will be able to fight through it and win, anyway. 

Going unbeaten is a fairly low percentage proposition for even elite teams.

The schedule is set up pretty well for Texas, so at least there’s that. 

• Hook 'Em 5

2 hours ago, horn_of_the_morning said:

It gives you permission to face your failures, move past them, and become a better person. Nobody is perfect. The best know how to turn failure into opportunity, like Sark did.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Sark blows and he's probably not the guy, Ewers sucks and can't hit the deep ball tooooooooo now we are worried there will be a "let down" game in which we lose when we shouldn't. We are just a few more solid posts away from texags I swear lol. 

Wait until Texas has its inevitable “UGA vs. Missouri” game, or worse. Fire Sark. Choker. No adjustments. What do you do PK? Where is Patterson when we need him. 

Freaking DKR had those games. Can you imagine Surly after some of those WTF loses? Royal is a joke. Send him back to Washington. Who can we get to replace him?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Wait until Texas has its inevitable “UGA vs. Missouri” game, or worse. Fire Sark. Choker. No adjustments. What do you do PK? Where is Patterson when we need him. 

Freaking DKR had those games. Can you imagine Surly after some of those WTF loses? Royal is a joke. Send him back to Washington. Who can we get to replace him?

People set the bar way too high and then are too quick to move it even higher where on a big win.

Texas plays in the BigXii championship game, that’s a successful season. Anything more is GRAVY.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

People set the bar way too high and then are too quick to move it even higher where on a big win.

Texas plays in the BigXii championship game, that’s a successful season. Anything more is GRAVY.

I think that’s about where I was when there was a discussion about grading the upcoming season. Playing for the championship is an A. Winning it and beyond would be A+. 

1 minute ago, Nivek said:

There are too many interviews and appearances for my liking.  

Think of it as recruiting, then. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:

There will be at least one letdown game. The question is whether he and the team will be able to fight through it and win, anyway. 

Going unbeaten is a fairly low percentage proposition for even elite teams.

The schedule is set up pretty well for Texas, so at least there’s that. 

Yeah, just as a reminder that 2022 UGA only beat Kent State by 17, Mizzou by 4 and Kentucky by 10.  It's hard to stay fully focused for 12 weeks in a row when you have to play teams like Kent State/Wyoming, Mizzou and Kentucky (i.e., UH, BYU, ISU, Texas Tech, Baylor) when you aren't playing some ranked teams.  

We will have some meh games outside of OU/KSU/Kansas.  As long as our score is higher than their score, a win is a win. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1