Official Coach Sark Thread of Dominance—haters back off

SimkinsMan

Nah, you don't fire Turtle Tom after going 10-4, 8-5, 7-3, only to be content with 5-7, 8-5, 8-5 by year 3 in the worst conference in football, heading off to the SEC.  It doesn't matter what CDC or the Texas administration thinks about continuity. All that matters is what the checkwriters want; they got us into this mess by hiring Sark and they'll probably run him off soon enough.  The seat will be very hot if we go 8-5 this year.  

Herman was fired because he alienated every decision maker/power broker and no one wanted to keep him around. All indications are that the admin and the money like Sark, like the trajectory, and don’t have the appetite for a changing change heading into the SEC. Barring total disaster I’m willing to bet he’s here through 2025 at least.
  • Hook 'Em 5

33 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Herman was fired because he alienated every decision maker/power broker and no one wanted to keep him around. All indications are that the admin and the money like Sark, like the trajectory, and don’t have the appetite for a changing change heading into the SEC. Barring total disaster I’m willing to bet he’s here through 2025 at least.

That’s the difference. Trajectory. Herman’s last year of recruiting indicated that things were only going to get worse

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, SubliminalHorn said:

We’ll know everything we need to know about Sark and where he’s taking Texas Saturday night. This is a career and program defining game. I like Sark and hope he can put it together. We shall see

We both know that we could win this game Saturday and then lay an absolute egg in Big 12 play like the last 13 years and it would surprise almost no one. We could also lose by 20 and still win this stupid conference relatively easily.

It's a huge game and Texas needs to look competitive. But throwing out all other data points and saying a road game at a top 5 opponent that has lost once at home since 2015 is going to tell us "everything we need to know" feels like a bit of a stretch.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

We're talking about two different things.  You said 8-5 was acceptable to the fanbase at large and the administration.  8-5 this year will be a disappointment to majority of fans and the big donors, and should be a disappointment to anyone with a functioning brain - this is the year to win the conference if there ever was one.  He goes 8-5 and his seat will be hot. 

That being said, on the 2nd issue, I agree he probably hangs around through 24 and maybe 25.  After that we start this whole circus again.   

Edited by bschoolprof

33 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

We're talking about two different things.  You said 8-5 was acceptable to the fanbase at large and the administration.  8-5 this year will be a disappointment to majority of fans and the big donors, and should be a disappointment to anyone with a functioning brain - this is the year to win the conference if there ever was one.  He goes 8-5 and his seat will be hot. 

That being said, on the 2nd issue, I agree he probably hangs around through 24 and maybe 25.  After that we start this whole circus again.   

Will be interesting to see how we handle his contract.  Or you know what, how about we just win 11 games and not worry about it, Sark?

I think it is. I don’t think there’s going to be a serious push for getting rid of Sark if Texas goes 8-5.

1 hour ago, Tex Long said:

Beat Bama, and it's gonna be DAAAAAMMMNN! Lose, and it's Seven-win Steve. 

Prefer the former, but fear the latter.

This is the defining game for our guy.

Disagree. It's a big game, but it is in a vacuum compared to the rest of the season. If we somehow fail to make the B12 championship this season, that will be a defining moment that is far more impactful. Of course if we win this game, he gets a hell of a lot of goodwill and momentum.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

We both know that we could win this game Saturday and then lay an absolute egg in Big 12 play like the last 13 years and it would surprise almost no one. We could also lose by 20 and still win this stupid conference relatively easily.

It's a huge game and Texas needs to look competitive. But throwing out all other data points and saying a road game at a top 5 opponent that hasn't lost once at home since 2015 is going to tell us "everything we need to know" feels like a bit of a stretch.

This.  This is a measuring stick game for where we are week 2 but conference play, and not fucking up multiple winnable games, is what matters regardless of the outcome Saturday.  The constant need to make definitive conclusions on every single fucking topic week to week on this board (and every other message board) is beyond tired.

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Disagree. It's a big game, but it is in a vacuum compared to the rest of the season. If we somehow fail to make the B12 championship this season, that will be a defining moment that is far more impactful. Of course if we win this game, he gets a hell of a lot of goodwill and momentum.  

100%.  Beating Bama but failing to make the Big 12 Championship game is a much bigger issue for long term outlook compared to losing to Bama and making Big 12 Championship game.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Disdisagree. This is a - or THE - defining game. It's also true for the season, but we're talking a game, here.

Lose this, and I think his trajectory starts to resemble the aggy rollercoaster. Maybe not, but he'll have to win out to regain thr high ground. 

The fact that we won the fight last year, although losing the scoreboard, raises expectations.

Just want to confirm that we are playing the University of Alabama and Nick Saban on the road on Saturday? The line forms to the left of great teams and coaches who have lost this type of game.

Again, I absolutely expect Texas to be competitive in this game and show they belong on the same field with Alabama. But if we lose 27-24 or 30-27 or 24-20 or whatever, it should do absolutely nothing to change the long term expectations of this season.

There is middle ground between being okay with moral victories and thinking we have the advantage on paper and should win.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Disdisagree. This is a - or THE - defining game. It's also true for the season, but we're talking a game, here.

Lose this, and I think his trajectory starts to resemble the aggy rollercoaster. Maybe not, but he'll have to win out to regain thr high ground. 

The fact that we won the fight last year, although losing the scoreboard, raises expectations.

Win on the road against a #3 team that would be favored at home against any team not named Georgia, and maybe even then, or this resembles the Aggie rollercoaster… sounds very level headed and not unreasonable at all. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

In that scenario, maybe it’s reasonable to “suggest” to Sarkisian that he hire an OC if he wants to keep cashing those fat checks. It’s not reasonable to get rid of a guy whose defense isn’t the problem. 
Milwee already knows the offense and how Sark does things, seems like a natural progression to promote him to "OC" (running Sark's offense of course) and hire someone else to QB whisper.

1 minute ago, Skipper said:

JFC.  There is 1 fucking team in the country, Georgia, that would be favored to win @ Alabama and it would be by probably a point.  On what planet would a Loss @ Fucking Bama resemble the Aggy roller coaster?

You saw the game last year. We lost our QB a quarter of the way in, and still knocked them on their ass. We lost scoreboard because we couldn't convert TDs in red zone. Well, and because refs fucked us a couple of times. 

We think we're better this year than last, although the OL looked confused at Rice... 

A lot of us, maybe most of us, think we have a very good chance to repeat last year and add scoreboard outcome to the ass-whipping. I feel like Sark is aware of that, and he looks to be feeling that pressure. If he fails this time, no telling what the effect on him will be. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that he craters.

I hope not, about that - losing and cratering. But I'm not sure the response "Oh, well, they're really good, and we're only three years into the Sark era" is going to satisfy.

My shitty JFC opinion is that this is very nearly a must-win for Sark. Lose it, and the only thing for him to do is to win out.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, ousux said:
On 9/4/2023 at 10:01 AM, Doc Daneeka said:
In that scenario, maybe it’s reasonable to “suggest” to Sarkisian that he hire an OC if he wants to keep cashing those fat checks. It’s not reasonable to get rid of a guy whose defense isn’t the problem. 

Milwee already knows the offense and how Sark does things, seems like a natural progression to promote him to "OC" (running Sark's offense of course) and hire someone else to QB whisper.

I'm not sure what to think of Milwee. I agree he should know the system well enough. If you want a QB whisperer to help him out, someone has to go. Who is it?

EDIT Unless NC2A rule changes allows more coaches

57 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Notre Dame was the defining game for Chuck.

3 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

It's a huge game and Texas needs to look competitive. But throwing out all other data points and saying a road game at a top 5 opponent that hasn't lost once at home since 2015 is going to tell us "everything we need to know" feels like a bit of a stretch.

I didn’t necessarily say it better be a win or else. But yea, this is a defining game for him. Championship level coaches have their teams ready for these games. They may not always win, but they always show the potential for championship level teams. If we go in and shit the bed, that tells us everything we need to know about him. 

53 minutes ago, ousux said:
On 9/4/2023 at 10:01 AM, Doc Daneeka said:

Maybe. What’s he achieved as OC elsewhere? If we’re going to put OC in quotes, it really doesn’t address the concerns people in that camp have expressed, imo. 

Maybe. What’s he achieved as OC elsewhere? If we’re going to put OC in quotes, it really doesn’t address the concerns people in that camp have expressed, imo. 
OC in the sense he runs Sark's playbook and Sark will still have final approval of each call and can change it at any point in time. Having said that, not sure if that will really free up Sark for whatever we think he's neglecting, but it's something to try at least.

Just now, ousux said:
12 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

OC in the sense he runs Sark's playbook and Sark will still have final approval of each call and can change it at any point in time. Having said that, not sure if that will really free up Sark for whatever we think he's neglecting, but it's something to try at least.

Yeah, imo, that’s Sarkisian as OC with extra steps. 

Yeah, imo, that’s Sarkisian as OC with extra steps. 
Exactly, but do we really want a young up and coming OC to come in and install whatever offense/terminology they use at their current school? There's no question Sark is one of the best playcallers in CFB when he has players that can execute what he calls, and I think he has that this year. I'm willing to be patient and see how this season plays out without overreacting to our first game.

Here's the drawback with OC's that aren't the head coach...the successful ones don't last more than a couple seasons before they get lured away to become HFC at some lower tier program. This leads to things like BoB ball at Bama last year, not to mention adding a degree of difficulty recruiting offensive players with a revolving door of OC's. Bama may be the lone exception to the last part because of Saban.

This is just corporate bureaucracy on the sidelines

4 minutes ago, ousux said:

Exactly, but do we really want a young up and coming OC to come in and install whatever offense/terminology they use at their current school? There's no question Sark is one of the best playcallers in CFB when he has players that can execute what he calls, and I think he has that this year. I'm willing to be patient and see how this season plays out without overreacting to our first game.

Here's the drawback with OC's that aren't the head coach...the successful ones don't last more than a couple seasons before they get lured away to become HFC at some lower tier program. This leads to things like BoB ball at Bama last year, not to mention adding a degree of difficulty recruiting offensive players with a revolving door of OC's. Bama may be the lone exception to the last part because of Saban.

Personally, I want Sarkisian calling plays. If it turns out the he can’t do that and game day management, hire or assign someone who can. I’m not yet convinced he can’t, but some who can trace every failure back to him or his doing both are convinced he can’t. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Sark seems like a nice guy so he’s easy to root for.  I think 8 is the “keep your job” mark. I think 7 raises some eyebrows 

If we go 8-5 with this roster and this schedule, Sark is 100% not the guy.

I'm not predicting that -- I said 10-2 and a spot in the CCG.  But, god damn, if we're actually 8-5 at the end of this year, as conference mates are losing to Wyoming and Texas State, then he needs to go far, far away.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Milwee went from booth to sideline for Rice. I think Jackson went to booth. Is that going to continue this week? 

The real question about a full-time OC is whether he can persuade the HC to let him switch a player who is clearly underperforming. or just not suited for the playcalls. Thinking of Worthy broken hand all year and Ewers hand slammed in car door for a game or two.

Milwee as surrogate Sark is pretty much same as GDGD for Mack. GDGD was at best .500 coach except with Mack.

20 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

If we go 8-5 with this roster and this schedule, Sark is 100% not the guy.

I'm not predicting that -- I said 10-2 and a spot in the CCG.  But, god damn, if we're actually 8-5 at the end of this year, as conference mates are losing to Wyoming and Texas State, then he needs to go far, far away.

Would definitely reflect underperformance.  Not firable unless you’re Tom herman. 

2 hours ago, Tex Long said:

You saw the game last year. We lost our QB a quarter of the way in, and still knocked them on their ass. We lost scoreboard because we couldn't convert TDs in red zone. Well, and because refs fucked us a couple of times. 

We think we're better this year than last, although the OL looked confused at Rice... 

A lot of us, maybe most of us, think we have a very good chance to repeat last year and add scoreboard outcome to the ass-whipping. I feel like Sark is aware of that, and he looks to be feeling that pressure. If he fails this time, no telling what the effect on him will be. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that he craters.

I hope not, about that - losing and cratering. But I'm not sure the response "Oh, well, they're really good, and we're only three years into the Sark era" is going to satisfy.

My shitty JFC opinion is that this is very nearly a must-win for Sark. Lose it, and the only thing for him to do is to win out.

Just to be clear. You will be calling for Sark to be fired if he goes 10-2?

It's tough to know what the floor or ceiling is with Milwee as a QB coach/potential OC/whatever. He was hired as the OC at Akron at the age of 26 and was there for 6 years with Terry Bowden. Once Bowden was canned he ended up as an analyst at Bama.

I believe the talk was he was offered some OC jobs after 2021. He seemed to be pretty involved in the Arch recruitment which is a great sign.

This fanbase has seemingly hated every OC/playcaller we've had since the beginning of time. I haven't seen anything super egregious from Sark when it comes to clock management and things of that nature that makes it seem like he is too focused on being the OC. If things like that start popping up or the offense somehow falls off a cliff, it's obviously a conversation worth revisiting. 

Personally, I want Sarkisian calling plays. If it turns out the he can’t do that and game day management, hire or assign someone who can. I’m not yet convinced he can’t, but some who can trace every failure back to him or his doing both are convinced he can’t. 
Same. I'm in wait and see mode, one game in this season is too small of a sample size for drawing conclusions.

1 minute ago, ousux said:
42 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Same. I'm in wait and see mode, one game in this season is too small of a sample size for drawing conclusions.

The trajectory needs to continue to be upward. I think it will be. Rosters aren’t built in a day. Or a year. Even with the portal. 

3 hours ago, Tex Long said:

c1f2805a-f655-43f8-a34a-70539a62ad28_tex

Edited by Vertigo

It's tough to know what the floor or ceiling is with Milwee as a QB coach/potential OC/whatever. He was hired as the OC at Akron at the age of 26 and was there for 6 years with Terry Bowden. Once Bowden was canned he ended up as an analyst at Bama.
I believe the talk was he was offered some OC jobs after 2021. He seemed to be pretty involved in the Arch recruitment which is a great sign.
This fanbase has seemingly hated every OC/playcaller we've had since the beginning of time. I haven't seen anything super egregious from Sark when it comes to clock management and things of that nature that makes it seem like he is too focused on being the OC. If things like that start popping up or the offense somehow falls off a cliff, it's obviously a conversation worth revisiting. 
Things popping up...say like maybe fucking up a coin toss during an important neutral site OOC game?

Too soon, yes I agree