Official Coach Sark Thread of Dominance—haters back off

SimkinsMan

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/38001629/texas-steve-sarkisian-targets-big-12-title-great-sendoff

As always, he says all the right things and plays it right down the middle. I think when he says pass it more he means getting our best players their touches, namely Worthy, AD Mitchell, and Whittington. 

• 2 weeks later...
Monday, July 31st    Thanks for finding this video goes to [mention=4708]Longhornlove[/mention] 

Welp, Cowherd just earned himself persona non grata from the hordes of aggy...assuming he wasn't already.

I'm sure he'll sleep just fine.

Watched Late Kick and Cowherd back-to-back. Clearly, both hosts like and respect Sark, and both think Texas might be "back". The team is looking good, plenty of big, fast people. Now, if Sark can pump them full of meanness and anger, we'll win some football games. I'm looking forward to turning those one-score losses into three-score wins. It could happen.

Edited by Tex Long
  • Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, nbmishoid said:

Yeah, errbody sayin it now. Pimping the Bama game.

I am a little pissed that none of these talking heads even mentioned the fact that Bama was handed the '22 game by the refs. I mean, they don't hafta go all whiny about it, all they need to do is say "Other than two horrible calls, the 'Horns beat Bama last year." If nothing will do but they need to suck Saban's cock, they can go ahead and note that two others beat them on the scoreboard, so it wasn't that surprising.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 hours ago, Tex Long said:

I am a little pissed that none of these talking heads even mentioned the fact that Bama was handed the '22 game by the refs. I mean, they don't hafta go all whiny about it, all they need to do is say "Other than two horrible calls, the 'Horns beat Bama last year." If nothing will do but they need to suck Saban's cock, they can go ahead and note that two others beat them on the scoreboard, so it wasn't that surprising.

Of course they were handed it. As long as Saban is coach, those big wig cocksuckers will always make sure the odds are tilted in Bama's favor.

What kind of record would Texas need to post in order for Sark to be replaced?

Asking because I was looking at Nebraska and Coach Rhule expectations. He has two college HC jobs under his belt, with very similar records. Three-year stints, with first horrible double-digit losses, second meh, and third damn good. Sark year one bad, year two meh... It looks like Nebbies are willing to put up with a first season not much better than Frost, as long as some bright spots shine through the gloom.

We seem to have super-high expectations in Sark's third year. If they're met and/or we get to 10+ wins, all is well... but what if we go 8-4 again, or worse?

• Hook 'Em 2

IMG_7374.jpg

I’m not walking into the living room and turning the TV on thinking anything.  But I will say this, if Sark does win 10 games then we are in for a helluva ride because his recruiting is not lacking, this isn’t a “stars have aligned” for one good year. If he only wins 8, I don’t see a way forward. So while it’s only his third year, he’s got great talent and a down OU. It’s really now or never.

5 minutes ago, troph said:

I’m not walking into the living room and turning the TV on thinking anything.  But I will say this, if Sark does win 10 games then we are in for a helluva ride because his recruiting is not lacking, this isn’t a “stars have aligned” for one good year. If he only wins 8, I don’t see a way forward. So while it’s only his third year, he’s got great talent and a down OU. It’s really now or never.

Agree 100 percent. This really is the year the team and coach need to deliver on their promise. Texas' schedule will never, ever again be easier than it is this year. 

Edited by SimkinsMan

2 hours ago, Tex Long said:

Asking because I was looking at Nebraska and Coach Rhule expectations. He has two college HC jobs under his belt, with very similar records. Three-year stints, with first horrible double-digit losses, second meh, and third damn good. Sark year one bad, year two meh... It looks like Nebbies are willing to put up with a first season not much better than Frost, as long as some bright spots shine through the gloom.

We seem to have super-high expectations in Sark's third year. If they're met and/or we get to 10+ wins, all is well... but what if we go 8-4 again, or worse?

Replaced? No idea. But imo, assuming we are reasonably healthy throughout the year, Sark needs to get us to at least 10 regular season wins to keep the serious doubt around the program from creeping in. 

Realistically, I don't like putting too much weight on any single season. We very well could go 8-4 again this year before blasting off in 2024, but I don't think that is likely. 

1 hour ago, Tex Long said:

There it is... 3/12 on 3rd downs, no 4th down attempts, 2.4 YPC rushing. And still only lost by one. 

Yeah, obviously the blown safety call didn't help, but those things plus missing a 20 yard FG at the half and failing to bring Bryce Young down when having him dead to rights at nearly midfield with 30-something seconds left might have a bit more to do with it than the

officials. 

And of course there's the whole Ewers injury bit. It was early enough that it really changed the entire scope of the game - who knows what would have went down.

3 hours ago, Tex Long said:

To actually pull the trigger this year, I feel like it would have to be a losing season. I think the bar for that is very high given the circumstances - year 3 of 6 year deal, SEC move, etc. I think, barring a losing season, he at least gets through Year 5 at this point.

I frankly already think it's more likely than not Texas never wins significant hardware with him in charge but I concede he's done a great job rebuilding the roster and utilizing the resources at his disposal to fully build out the on and off field staff. The landscape is different than earlier in his career with NIL in recruiting, the portal, and ability to add more assistants. Maybe he can thrive with that in a way he couldn't before, but if it doesn't happen this year it never will. Everything you could ask for is laid out for Texas. If he can't at least win 9 this year, I've seen enough.

I expect a backslide next year regardless, and that's not necessarily an indictment on Sark. Schedule is tougher and there's a lot of talent and experience walking out the door, particularly if you assume Ewers is gone. Recruiting has been strong but it takes time to build the latter part back up.

Edited by gmr548

14 hours ago, troph said:

Agreed but he will have to overcome big 12 officiating and this year it will be worse than ever. 

Next year expanded playoffs and new conference it’s really a whole new ballgame. 

Imagine our guys being able to play defense and blow up a bubble screen or sack the qb without being thrown out of the game. 

1 hour ago, Zeus said:

Agreed but he will have to overcome big 12 officiating and this year it will be worse than ever. 

Next year expanded playoffs and new conference it’s really a whole new ballgame. 

Imagine our guys being able to play defense and blow up a bubble screen or sack the qb without being thrown out of the game. 

Big 12 fuckery is honestly my biggest worry about this season, after injuries. Any other year, with this roster, I'd be in a diabetic coma from the kool-aid. Maybe it's just battered wife syndrome from the last 13 years, but I can't shake the feeling that our best team in over a decade is going to get fucked over petty politics. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/6/2023 at 7:22 AM, gmr548 said:

IMG_7374.jpg

What a lazy and terrible analysis. Alabama played dirty as hell last season to the point that the announcers said out loud how shocked they were at what Alabama was doing. Saban had to yell at his own players multiple times and even after the game. They got called for a lot more penalties because they were blatantly cheating all game long and just because they called 15 doesn't mean that they didn't miss several huge and obvious penalties. It sure is a lot easier to "bring Bryce Young down" when the official doesn't swallow his whistle while your edge contain defender is clearly and obviously held in a wide open and highly visible part of the field. 

image.thumb.png.f1b60e09016215557821dd31fe42462e.png

"Just bring him down, guys"

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

fuck those assholes. I hope we shut their asses up. I think it's pretty clear Texas is better than last year. Bama loses Bryce, are they better or not? should be a helluva game. would LOVE to see us win on our way into that fucking league. it's great for TV and certainly for passion and crowds. Yes it's a physical league. But it's not some fucking NFL league like those mouth breathers in the south think. there are some super shitty teams and some mediocre ones too.  Come on Sark and Co, go fuck their shit up.

• Like 1

A lot of Bama's ability to get away with actions that should be penalized has to do with the fact that Saban has them doing it from the very start of games. They test the refs to see what they can get away with. I think the refs let so much go because if they call everything, they'll wind up throwing multiple flags on every fucking play and open themselves up to gigantic amounts of criticism. The proper response is for us to do the exact same thing and hold the refs accountable by whatever means are available, which includes screaming and hollering, demanding reviews... 

As someone said - prolly many someones - it ain't a foul if they don't throw the flag.

Should’ve been at least 16 penalties
2BEA22FE-E229-452E-94D8-AF2033DA1063.jpeg.835ddb99c089fdfa7cce3b34ea616b14.jpeg

This was the biggest miss. It was blatant and should have been easy. The linesman was relatively close. There wasn’t tons of action around the foul. It was a split second, timing play like PI. It wasn’t subjective. This is one that can’t be missed.

37 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

August 9th

Steve Sarkisian Joins Josh Pate (Late Kick Cut)

Pate's got a pretty decent show. He let Sark answer the question before popping another or otherwise interrupting. I was hoping for one like "Coach, you've had 12 games where you trailed at the half, and you lost 11 of them. Are you planning on not being behind at halftime, or will you have a gameplan with adjustments, like switching from run-heavy to more passing, or what?"

Edited by Tex Long
Otto Korect

1 hour ago, Tex Long said:

Pate's got a pretty decent show. He let Sark answer the question before popping another or otherwise interrupting. I was hoping for one like "Coach, you've had 12 games where you trailed at the half, and you lost 11 of them. Are you planning on not being behind at halftime, or will you have a gameplan with adjustments, like switching from run-heavy to more passing, or what?"

Klatt is right, "We're not falling for Texas until they do something"

Winning more tight games  This 2023 Texas team needs to face adversity in some games this season and overcome it and win those games.  

It's crazy how once you win a close game in tough circumstances, it gets much easier to do it again and again.  The confidence to win that Texas had on the 2004 and 2005 teams was developed and improved in their toughest games.  That's how teams become champions...  

• Like 1

Klatt is correct. Show me you can do it, as it has been quite some time! Probably going back to the Colt McCoy era.

The last time I remember the Horns battling back from assuming defeat was the Oregon State game in the Alamo Bowl - one of Mack’s last few seasons.

Hook’em!!!

3 hours ago, Tex Long said:

Are you planning on not being behind at halftime, or will you have a gameplan with adjustments, like switching from run-heavy to more passing, or what?"

Pretty sure Pate has a solid reputation because he doesn’t ask stupid questions like “are you planning on not being behind at halftime?” Sounds like something Kirk Bohls would ask. I understand where you are getting at though.

Also, isn’t the whole point of adjustments is you adjust to what is happening in-game? If you try to build a gameplan with pre-determined “adjustments” then it’s not really….an adjustment, it’s just a part of your gameplan.

Edited by Hookem2147

10 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Pretty sure Pate has a solid reputation because he doesn’t ask stupid questions like “are you planning on not being behind at halftime?” Sounds like something Kirk Bohls would ask. I understand where you are getting at though.

Also, isn’t the whole point of adjustments is you adjust to what is happening in-game? If you try to build a gameplan with pre-determined “adjustments” then it’s not really….an adjustment, it’s just a part of your gameplan.

Yeah, phrasing. And Bohlsish at that. But it's still valid...

I can't tell if Sark just has no adjustability in him, or he doesn't feel the need to change, or what. If your gameplan doesn't include a "what if this doesn't work?" element, how are you going to change the losing game?

Dammit, Sark seems like a really good guy, talks a good plan, cares for the players - hell, cares about errbody - coaches, assistants, fans... Like a lot of you - fuck that, damn near all of you - I really, really want to see him succeed. Not just because that means the team and the school succeeds, but because it's a great pleasure to watch anyone turn their life around and do well.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1