Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls

texifornia

Humidor section on Simmons. Nothing really new besides the Texas sources being less confident. Not great, Bob.

Spoiler

Colin Simmons, EDGE, Duncanville (Texas) 

Now we have an announcement date. After teasing a decision last month, On3’s No. 4 overall prospect will commit to his future school on August 10th. 

Texas and LSU have jockeyed for position for over a year, and both staffs have confidence. IT does not believe the confidence is quite as high for Texas as it was in the first couple of weeks after the June 23-25 official visit, but confidence remains that the Longhorns can win the recruitment. The continued communication has been that of a recruitment Texas can win out for come August 10th. 

Texas knows that LSU continues to make a strong play, and Simmons genuinely likes LSU and the campus life in Baton Rouge. There is a feeling of comfort for Simmons when he steps on campus in Baton Rouge. Simmons feels comfortable at Texas, especially with a number of the players for the Longhorns from the DFW area. 

LSU is battling to win this recruitment despite not having a settled defensive line coaching situation after Jimmy Lindseystepped away earlier this week with a personal health matter. The fact that LSU is still very much in the hunt after Jamar Caindeparted and Lindsey stepped away illustrates how much Simmons likes LSU in general. 

IT is comfortable in saying that Texas will not lose this recruitment due to lack of effort or motivation. 

If he wants to stay closer to home and his family, Texas would be the choice. If he decides to leave the state, he’ll be #ColinBatonRouge. 

6 minutes ago, CashMcCoy said:

Humidor section on Simmons. Nothing really new besides the Texas sources being less confident. Not great, Bob.

Reveal hidden contents

Now we have an announcement date. After teasing a decision last month, On3’s No. 4 overall prospect will commit to his future school on August 10th. 

Texas and LSU have jockeyed for position for over a year, and both staffs have confidence. IT does not believe the confidence is quite as high for Texas as it was in the first couple of weeks after the June 23-25 official visit, but confidence remains that the Longhorns can win the recruitment. The continued communication has been that of a recruitment Texas can win out for come August 10th. 

Texas knows that LSU continues to make a strong play, and Simmons genuinely likes LSU and the campus life in Baton Rouge. There is a feeling of comfort for Simmons when he steps on campus in Baton Rouge. Simmons feels comfortable at Texas, especially with a number of the players for the Longhorns from the DFW area. 

LSU is battling to win this recruitment despite not having a settled defensive line coaching situation after Jimmy Lindseystepped away earlier this week with a personal health matter. The fact that LSU is still very much in the hunt after Jamar Caindeparted and Lindsey stepped away illustrates how much Simmons likes LSU in general. 

IT is comfortable in saying that Texas will not lose this recruitment due to lack of effort or motivation. 

If he wants to stay closer to home and his family, Texas would be the choice. If he decides to leave the state, he’ll be #ColinBatonRouge. 

Yeah, the comment section on that IT article has gone full-blown meltdown haha

16 minutes ago, CashMcCoy said:

There's literally nothing new there.

IT does not believe the confidence is quite as high for Texas as it was in the first couple of weeks after the June 23-25 official visit, but confidence remains that the Longhorns can win the recruitment.

That's all it says and that's been reported and is what one would expect.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Chopper said:

There's literally nothing new there.

That's all it says and that's been reported and is what one would expect.

IT's mods usually clarify in the comments if something is misinterpreted. They're doing nothing to calm down the masses, so I suspect we're being prepared for a letdown.

21 minutes ago, CashMcCoy said:

Hide contents

To whoever coined the term #ColinBatonRouge, I'd like to dick punch you

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

6 confidence.  Details below.

image.thumb.png.0349561d854ce400efcf24a93ccb35a0.png

VIP details and Crystal Ball prediction ahead of 5-star DL Dominick McKinley's upcoming decision

Hank South

Spoiler

VIP details and Crystal Ball prediction ahead of 5-star DL Dominick McKinley's upcoming decision

Hank South

Earlier this summer 247Sports five-star defensive lineman Dominick McKinley's mother, Angie, told Horns247 she would personally like her son to make a college decision prior to the beginning of his senior season.

"I’m asking that he kind of narrow it down before the season starts, so that he way he doesn’t have to focus on that,” she told Horns247 last month. “Ultimately if he feels like he needs more time to decide, then he’ll do that. But I would like for him to do it before his actual season starts, so he doesn’t have to worry about it.”

It looks like that's now coming to fruition. McKinley's mother gave Horns247 a rough timeline for a decision on Thursday.

"I think it will be Sept. 1, the day of their first game of the season," Angie told Horns247 of a decision date.

Schools like Texas, Oklahoma, LSU, Ohio State, Texas A&M, and others have been battling for the Lafayette (La.) Acadiana product for well over a year. He officially visited all but Baton Rouge in the month of June. He did trek over to see the Tigers for an unofficial last weekend, though.

Talking to separate sources with knowledge of the recruitment this week, the two schools brought up most often are Texas and LSU. Hudson also touched on the latest with McKinley in The Huddle on Thursday evening. The same sources have been more optimistic about the Longhorns' chances as of right now on Aug. 4, especially with a decision date coming sooner rather than later. Every person we talked to, however, believes this recruitment will continue on into the fall up until the Early Signing Period. As mentioned, McKinley still has an official visit available to use for LSU if he so chooses. You also can't discount a top Louisiana prospect leaving the state when LSU wants them and is pushing for them.

That all being said, I like where Texas stands at the moment based off information we've gathered. UT would be my prediction and I've placed a Crystal Ball prediction in favor of the Longhorns. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The fact that Texas has so much to offer Simmons - playing time, NIL, proximity to family, etc. - but he's trending to LSU anyway makes me think the kid always wanted to go to LSU. You grow up liking a team, thinking they're cool, and it gets incorporated into your identity. It's hard to overcome that, especially when the it's a team like LSU, who obviously has plenty to offer as well. 

Frustrating, but I'm getting the impression this was an uphill battle from the start. More than anything, I'm annoyed at how badly I let the guys at IT pull my dick back in June.

Tired Mondays GIF by MOODMAN

Edited by Park Gothic
Someone neg me so I can sit at a nice even 1000
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

The one recruit that you needed to get to feel like you nailed this class isn't going to happen.  Can you win titles without big time edge rushers?  Sure, I guess, but it's harder and lowers both the ceiling and the floor for the defense (and by extension the team).  I wonder if Anthony Hill becomes that guy (pressure from the edge and ability to get the QB on the ground) if it's not going to be Simmons.  

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

The one recruit that you needed to get to feel like you nailed this class isn't going to happen.  Can you win titles without big time edge rushers?  Sure, I guess, but it's harder and lowers both the ceiling and the floor for the defense (and by extension the team).  I wonder if Anthony Hill becomes that guy (pressure from the edge and ability to get the QB on the ground) if it's not going to be Simmons.  

I made that comment elsewhere - word is that he is taking some reps with the ends in practice. I hate to take him away from his natural position but that DE spot is a real sore spot right now on the roster. 

------------------------

Funny though that someone made the comment about all the 1st rounders LSU has had drafted at the DE position. LSU's draft success at DE since 2014 is basically the same as Texas, if not worse. LSU has had a 7th rounder in 2022, 3rd rounder in 2018, 3rd rounder in 2015.

In comparison Texas has had a 7th rounder in 2023, 3rd and 5th rounder in 2021, 5th rounder in 2019. And that doesn't consider the fact that we've had 1-2 top 100 player DE commits over the last decade while they have had 5-10. 

LSU has done really well in the draft the last decade or so - but not really at the edge position. 

Edited by Enchubben
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

I made that comment elsewhere - word is that he is taking some reps with the ends in practice. I hate to take him away from his natural position but that DE spot is a real sore spot right now on the roster. 

------------------------

Funny though that someone made the comment about all the 1st rounders LSU has had drafted at the DE position. LSU's draft success at DE since 2014 is basically the same as Texas, if not worse. LSU has had a 7th rounder in 2022, 3rd rounder in 2018, 3rd rounder in 2015.

In comparison Texas has had a 7th rounder in 2023, 3rd and 5th rounder in 2021, 5th rounder in 2019. And that doesn't consider the fact that we've had 1-2 top 100 player DE commits over the last decade while they have had 5-10. 

LSU has done really well in the draft the last decade or so - but not really at the edge position. 

Screenshot2023-08-04at13_48_25.thumb.png.43051f66049a5d3ca8877deebd95f0cd.png

Does Chaisson not count? He was drafted due to his pass rushing skills. He's a hybrid backer/edge.

5 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Screenshot2023-08-04at13_48_25.thumb.png.43051f66049a5d3ca8877deebd95f0cd.png

Does Chaisson not count? He was drafted due to his pass rushing skills. He's a hybrid backer/edge.

It really should not. Nobody on the current LSU staff had a thing to do with that. Pk can say look at Joe Tryon, who went 1st round in 2021. I recruited and developed him. That is probably the last. That said if he picks LSU over TExas without a DL coach in place, this was always LSU

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

It really should not. Nobody on the current LSU staff had a thing to do with that. Pk can say look at Joe Tryon, who went 1st round in 2021. I recruited and developed him. That is probably the last. That said if he picks LSU over TExas without a DL coach in place, this was always LSU

There's a difference between Kelly taking credit for Chaisson and arguing that LSU and Texas have had similar draft successes.

Not to mention Harold Perkins Jr., who should be a very high draft pick (albeit at LB), in large part due to his pass rushing.

Edited by MuellerHorn

13 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

------------------------

Maybe they'll use him like Harold Perkins last year.  Spin down to rush the passer on 3rd down.

9 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

There's a difference between Kelly taking credit for Chaisson and arguing that LSU and Texas have had similar draft successes.

Correct. The point is the logical argument is which staff can develop you better. What happened at LSU 5 years ago, does not really matter.  PK does have a decent history. He can ask, have you watched the Cowboys? I developed Demarcus Lawrence from a 3 star to a huge NFL contract. AT BSU  DE Tyrone Crawford (3rd round/Dallas Cowboys/2012), DE DeMarcus Lawrence (2nd round/Dallas Cowboys/2014), DE Kamalei Correa (2nd round/Baltimore Ravens/2016). IF LSU says look at Harold Perkins (not same position), PK can say that is cool have you heard of Shaq THompson?

Edited by Codaxx

3 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Correct. The point is the logical argument is which staff can develop you better. What happened at LSU 5 years ago, does not really matter. 

Go back to my initial response.

OP: LSU has done really well in the draft the last decade or so - but not really at the edge position. 

Me: Chaisson is an EDGE.

You: arguing something completely different.

Edited by MuellerHorn

11 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Go back to my initial response.

OP: LSU has done really well in the draft the last decade or so - but not really at the edge position. 

Me: Chaisson is an EDGE.

You: arguing something completely different.

Lot of comments here, apologize. I am just pointing out that PK has a solid history of development and that is how Texas need to frame the pitch. Coach O and Les Miles killed it, but that isnt who will be coaching you. Recruiting is about who frames the argument. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 8/2/2023 at 3:10 PM, BornAndRaised said:

F2jUe9sWcAAVKEK?format=jpg&name=large

aggy not even in the running

We have this one as well. Also produced by On3. Texas is front and center. My idea is Simmons is attempting to maintain suspense. It has been mentioned he and his family approach this process from a mature, aligned, and professional perspective.

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

This is such a weird, one-sided point of view. He’s been high on LSU for years, they’re coming off a great first season and they have a history of putting edge rushers in the first round while we haven’t done that in over a decade. It’s not like this is some easy, no-brainer recruitment Texas should win 10 times out of 10. 

Nobody recruiting him in Baton Rouge has anything to do with former LSU OLBs making the NFL. PK and Bo have way more skins on the wall

Edited by UnhappilyMarried
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

So nothing new has been said today yet y'all are in here acting like a bunch of bitches. 

That's not really true.  That IT article was pretty much step 1 in a 4 or 5 step process that ends with the commit going somewhere else, and CTJ chimed in again sort of as well.  This isn't happening.  Which sucks, b/c he was a silent after his visit.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

20 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

That's not really true.  That IT article was pretty much step 1 in a 4 or 5 step process that ends with the commit going somewhere else, and CTJ chimed in again sort of as well.  This isn't happening.  Which sucks, b/c he was a silent after his visit.

The IT article said nothing new. I don't see anything of merit that CTJ added recently either. I'm honestly not sure what mental gymnastics some of you are performing to be in the current state y'all are in regarding this recruitment. As I see it neither side is overly confident and this could go either way at this point. Y'all are really just being some pessimistic pussies.

Edited by SarkAfterDark

Just now, SarkAfterDark said:

The IT article said nothing new. I don't see anything of merit that CTJ added recently either. I'm honestly not sure what mental gymnastics some of you are performing to be in the current state y'all are in regarding this recruitment. As I see it neither side is overly confident and this could go either way at this point.

LSU guy just put in a pick.  Nahlin moved off of 80% confidence the other day to say, my bad, I would undo that if I could and now Texas still "can" win this recruitment.  Yeah dude, it's not good. Prepare your anus.  It will keep getting worse. They walk this stuff back bit by bit while also continuing to give hope to those who aren't reading the code correctly.  It's not great man.  

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2024: Bags Don't Beat Bankrolls