USMNT 2021

Napoleon

3 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

GOALKEEPERS (3): Ethan Horvath (Club Brugge/BEL; 4/0), Chituru Odunze (Leicester City/ENG; 0/0), David Ochoa (Real Salt Lake; 0/0)

DEFENDERS (10): John Brooks (Wolfsburg/GER; 40/3), Reggie Cannon (Boavista/POR; 14/0), Justin Che (Bayern Munich/GER; 0/0), Sergiño Dest (Barcelona/ESP; 7/1), Mark McKenzie (Genk/BEL; 2/0), Matt Miazga (Anderlecht/BEL; 21/1), Tim Ream (Fulham/ENG; 42/1), Bryan Reynolds (Roma/ITA; 1/0), Antonee Robinson (Fulham/ENG; 10/0), DeAndre Yedlin (Galatasaray/TUR; 62/0)

MIDFIELDERS (7): Kellyn Acosta (Colorado Rapids; 27/2), Tyler Adams (RB Leipzig/GER; 12/1), Julian Green (Greuther Fürth/GER; 15/4), Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy; 20/6), Weston McKennie (Juventus/ITA; 21/6), Yunus Musah (Valencia/ESP; 4/0), Jackson Yueill (San Jose Earthquakes; 9/0)

FORWARDS: (7): Brenden Aaronson (Red Bull Salzburg/AUT; 4/2), Daryl Dike (Barnsley/ENG; 2/0), Matthew Hoppe (Schalke/GER; 0/0), Gio Reyna (Borussia Dortmund/GER; 4/2), Josh Sargent (Werder Bremen/GER; 13/5), Jordan Siebatcheu (Young Boys/SUI; 2/0), Tim Weah (Lille/FRA; 10/1)

That’s not it. That must be from something over the summer?

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Do other national teams do this crap? Seriously, announcing the announcement?!?!?!

Abso-fucking-lutely real soccer countries announce when the roster is going to drop. It’s like a mini-Christmas every fucking time any selección is released. 

This is done early enough so that friends can discuss it all day before watching talking heads discuss it the rest of the day on the radio and the TV round tables will discuss it all evening as they run highlights of the selected players’ recent form that have been spliced together during the day for the production staff. 

Announcing call ups is a much much much bigger deal in the rest of CONCACAF than it is in the USA.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Gonna fuck around and take Jamaica lightly, the team they fielded earlier this year is not the same team we will face at all. 

FYI for pregame plans, Barra 76 is meeting up at Circle Brewing, and the Sammers are going to be at Hopsquad. Don't know about AO and don't care

I'll be there, don't have much of a choice after I got stuck with $400 front row seats that are selling on the secondary for $240.  Lol  

Also, you had mentioned you might know some folks wanting to go to Columbus.  I have 4 tix to that game I'm trying to sell.  Will take face value for them.  

Edited by Trey3216

That means:

NO...
Zack Steffen
Tim Ream
Antonee Robinson

WHICH MEANS...

2 keepers only in Panama (didn't think that that was allowed)

Antonee Robinson likely starts games 1 & 3.
Dest starts in Panama... (god he sucks at defense), which means that we likely play 3 in the back in Panama

LW- Dest / RW- Shaq Moore(?)
CDs- Miles Robinson - John Brooks - Chris Richards
GK- Matt Turner

Or does Bello get the left and Dest gets the right and who hold our breath?

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Or does Bello get the left and Dest gets the right and who hold our breath?

Are you asking me what I think Gerg is going to do or what we should do? Because the former is impossible to answer. He might roll Dest out as a false 9 for all I know. 

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Are you asking me what I think Gerg is going to do or what we should do? Because the former is impossible to answer. He might roll Dest out as a false 9 for all I know. 

1) I meant "we" when I wrote: "Or does Bello get the left and Dest gets the right and who we hold our breath?"

2) Trying to guess what Gregg is thinking.

3) I would like to see Dest play as a winger. I feel a little uneasy about Dest playing as a wingback. I shake my head in fear and disbelief when Dest is played as a fullback.

18 minutes ago, shnsajax said:

I mean he is offsides, but it’s still a nice finish.

I thought that it was way offside, but when they slowed it down from a different angle, it looked like he was barely onside.

If you go to this page and watch the replay after he scores, you can see that he was onside.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/video?gameId=598046

• Like 1

Didn't realize they counted the goal.

He's definitely off. I think that camera angle on the replay is a bit of an illusion. There is no way he is onsdes based on this angle which is close to right at midfield. Just use the center line. 

20210929_233441.thumb.jpg.049313fc26c20e114f205397cb171a1c.jpg

Edited by ztejas

Pregame plans for Austin for our SG.

https://facebook.com/events/s/world-cup-qualifier-pregame-wa/584758009333891/

The United States Men's National Team is coming to town, Thursday, October 7th, for a World Cup Qualifier vs. Jamaica at Q2 Stadium! Come hang with us, Austin Anthem, and Barra 76 before, during, & after the match. We open at 3 PM, kickoff is at 6:30 PM, and we’ll be open till 11 PM for a post-match hang!

What to expect:
- Supporters Headquarters: Austin Anthem and Barra 76 will be joining us to support the USMNT! Details about the march to the match coming soon!
- Match: Kickoff at 6:30 PM - If you aren’t headed to Q2, watch the match with us on the big screen. We’ll also have it on multiple TVs, inside and out
- Beer: Draft inside & lots of cans at the trough outside, for here or to go, before and after the match
- Water: #WaterBreak - Be sure to stay hydrated! We have water filling stations, water bottles for sale & FREE sparkling water from Waterloo
- Food: Huckleberry & Ike N Aves
- Extra Fun: Flash Photo Party Photo Booth

Edited by Zepol87
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Embedded YouTube video with cropped horizontal perspective.

And here's a link to a Streamable vid with the proper orientation:

https://streamable.com/8klh5e

Does Scally also get the assist on this play for heading the ball into space so that Scally can make a run on that well-played ball?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Question for you, Zep, and our other resident FC Dallas fans:

What's the scouting report on Ferreira? I've yet to watch a single game of his. Even missed his brace against TnT.

He made a one-time switch to the USA about 3 years ago.

Gregg played him as a "False 9" a few times last year (or the year before).

For FC Dallas, he basically plays a 10/ withdrawn striker behind Pepi. (Pepi plays the traditional 9... but wears #16... and Jesús plays the 10 or whatever and wears #9.)

Jesús was really hot about a month ago and had some good games while Pepi was away with the USMNT. I think that he played the 9 or maybe they played Jara in that position, but the team seemed to defer to Jesús. He also had a nice little goal once Pepi returned...

And then FC Dallas fired their coach.

The team hasn't been playing as well since losing Lucchi. (sp?) I went last night (to see Pepi before he's gone and to see Willie Nelson after the game) and the team was kind of crappy offensively. Most offensive highlights seemed to involve Pepi & Jesús playing off of each other. Their understanding of how the other one plays is the reason why I would like them to play together for the USMNT, because it is far more 2nd nature than any combo of players in the entire USMNT Pool. They didn't stand out like stars by any means, but they just understand each other better than other players.

The game ended in a 0 - 0 draw thanks to some great saves from the FC Dallas keeper. He had 6 on the game and I feel like I may have seen all of them (I arrived late) and at least 3, if not 5 or 6, were outstanding. I think that Dallas may have required one great save from the Minnesota keeper out of the 4 that he registered.

You could play Jesús as a tight winger, but he's really a second striker who wanders from side to side, presses in tandem with the other three front players after the opposing team takes possession, takes most of his shots from the edge of the box, gets his shot off pretty quickly, and is good with a give-and-go to spring someone, but you're never going to think "Wow, this guy could play for Barcelona." His feet aren't made of pillows that see the ball die in front of him after a 30+ yard pass.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

FIFA clears Galaxy's Araujo to switch from United States to Mexico national team

After playing one game for the United States, defender Julian Araujo has been cleared to change his national eligibility to Mexico, FIFA said on Monday.

The 20-year-old LA Galaxy defender made his debut for the U.S. last December, starting at right back in a 6-0 win over El Salvador.

Araujo, who is from Lompoc, Calif., previously represented the U.S. at age-group levels through the Under-23 team.

In March, he played for the U.S. U23 team against Mexico in a Tokyo Olympics qualification game.

Mexico won 1-0 and eventually advanced to Tokyo, getting a bronze medal.

As a dual national with Mexican family ties, Araujo was eligible within FIFA's rules to switch national teams and was yet to play a competitive game for the U.S. senior team.

Mexico faces the U.S. in their 2022 World Cup quaIification group on Nov. 12 in Cincinnati.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-states-usa/story/4491422/fifa-galaxys-araujo-cleared-to-switch-from-united-states-to-mexico-national-team

LOOKING BACK: I can’t believe that we were able to secure Pepi. I’m thinking that the Pepsi endorsement contract (and possibly NIKE and others to come) helped flip Pepi back to the USMNT after comments were made/“reports leaked” that he was 1 of the 4 U.S. dominoes that would flip to El Tri.

The other 3 are still going to México. 
(1) the RSL keeper, (2) Araujo, & (3) Gomez (who went from the FC Dallas academy to the USL in Louisville or something .

36 minutes ago, drt said:

What’s the skinny on the different supporters groups and pregame bars for Thursday?  I’m not caught up on who’s who

Sammers and Barra 76 get along but neither really does with AO so just decided to do it differently pregame but we are all marching in together. AO will start it as they are furthest away and join up with us along the route.

1 hour ago, Ted Lange said:

Ochoa is the RSL keeper, MEXICO just called up 4 keepers for some reason, and he wasn’t one of them.  

Thanks. I had spaced his name and on my phone I’m less likely to look up details than on my computer. 

I could kind of see his face and give you his size and age (+/- a digit), but forgot his name.

1 hour ago, Ted Lange said:

Also, Gomez just accepted a call up to El Tri’s U20 camp. 

I care the least about this one (Gomez), in part because I know the least about him. I would say that I valued the 4:

#1 Pepi, #2 Araujo, #3 Ochoa, and … … … #4 Gomez

Because of that tweet about Ochoa being the first of 4 dominoes to fall, I really think that Pepi was going to switch to México before the Powers That Be ($$$$) stepped in and changed his mind ($$$$$). I wish that NIKE had bought Araujo as well, but the path to being a national team fixture is much clearer for Araujo with México, and we all thought the same with Ochoa.

If we had had a competent U-23 coach we would have gone to the Olympics and that would have changed everything. Ochoa & Araujo played for the U.S. in that tournament… Jesus that was a fucking shit show of hubris and incompetence. 🤬🤬

Edited by Napoleon

On 10/1/2021 at 4:41 PM, Zepol87 said:

Pregame plans for Austin for our SG.

https://facebook.com/events/s/world-cup-qualifier-pregame-wa/584758009333891/

The United States Men's National Team is coming to town, Thursday, October 7th, for a World Cup Qualifier vs. Jamaica at Q2 Stadium! Come hang with us, Austin Anthem, and Barra 76 before, during, & after the match. We open at 3 PM, kickoff is at 6:30 PM, and we’ll be open till 11 PM for a post-match hang!

What to expect:
- Supporters Headquarters: Austin Anthem and Barra 76 will be joining us to support the USMNT! Details about the march to the match coming soon!
- Match: Kickoff at 6:30 PM - If you aren’t headed to Q2, watch the match with us on the big screen. We’ll also have it on multiple TVs, inside and out
- Beer: Draft inside & lots of cans at the trough outside, for here or to go, before and after the match
- Water: #WaterBreak - Be sure to stay hydrated! We have water filling stations, water bottles for sale & FREE sparkling water from Waterloo
- Food: Huckleberry & Ike N Aves
- Extra Fun: Flash Photo Party Photo Booth

I land in Austin 1250pm.

i'll hit you up... lets pound some brew.

• Hook 'Em 2

Some Jamaican news,   Sounds like the injures are hitting them as hard as us,

from a Jamaican fan:

- Daniel Johnson (Preston North End) has now pulled out of the squad. There goes a locked in starter in the already depleted central midfield.

So this brings the total absence list to:

Out

Daniel Johnson
Leon Bailey
Ethan Pinnock
Cory Burke
Anthony Grant
Ravel Morrison

Questionable (haven't dropped yet but might due to injury)

Liam Moore
Jamal Lowe

There's no word yet on replacements but Johnson's absence leads me to believe that we will actually be starting JeVaughn Watson in the midfield on Thursday. This is the 38 year old with 5 club appearances in the last 2 years (3 coming this year for a small club in the Jamaican top tier).

We are not a serious team and we don't belong in Qatar, so it is what it is. I accept it.

I'll just say this to USMNT fans: If you do not walk out of Q2 stadium with AT LEAST 2 clear goal victory, you should just send Berhalter packing. We are a joke, so anything less is simply not acceptable for a side with the quality and ambition of the USMNT.

• Like 1