USMNT 2021

Napoleon

20 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

It was absolutely electric. I stopped screaming my head off long enough to listen to the chants.

The U clap  S clap A  clap chant with the steady upbeat crescendo is fucking bad ass. 

If you sit with the Outlaws expect to get covered in fluids.

Dolly, Dolly, Dolly USA! 

Dale USA culero. Not dolly

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

28 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

Need to add, Q2 was a 10/10 until y’all did that stupid I Believe we will win chant.  Had to deduct .5 for that.  Sorry those are the rules, that chant SUCKS 

the USMNT chants were pretty bad.  They adopted the "Alright, Alright, Alright" chant.  I appreciate the enthusiasm but the Austin FC chants are so much better.   I was in Section 102 getting beer showers.   I love the atmosphere at Q2

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, alincoln said:

Austin will likely always be in the running for a qualifier against the Caribbean nations and Canada.  The qualifier in 2029 against T&T should be electric.

Yep, as awesome as it is, that we are hosting the WC in 2026, the lack of qualifiers for 6+ years blows.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, mackavelli said:

the USMNT chants were pretty bad.  They adopted the "Alright, Alright, Alright" chant.  I appreciate the enthusiasm but the Austin FC chants are so much better.   I was in Section 102 getting beer showers.   I love the atmosphere at Q2

I remember that chant going horribly. You had the FC regulars doing it one way and the out of towners another.

Edited by MissingInAction

19 hours ago, TXSG8R said:
19 hours ago, ztejas said:
20 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Arriola is such a drop off from our real talent. 

He's been clearly the worst player on the pitch and has gone all 90. Berhalter still needs to let some old habits die.

I wonder if Nipple would be willing to move to the 6.  For all his shortcomings he has a hell of a motor and it would be great to have some depth behind Adams. He just doesn’t have a first touch or shot to play up front.

Nipple's lack of quality will never be more obvious than it was last night. His effort and work rate were tremendous, but that's not good enough anymore. Not with this team. Not with this roster.

How many promising build-ups died at Arriola's feet? Answer: All of them. Whenever he was given a chance to make the incisive pass, or take a meaningful shot, he bottled it.

Yes, he hustled all over the pitch and won us possession on multiple occasions. He's got a great motor, but his skillset is so poor, that motor should be confined to the likes of Gold Cups and friendlies.

I like the guy, but I don't like how Gergg uses him (and a few other favorites) when there are clearly better options. Hoppe, for example, also works his ass off. Unlike Arriola, however, Hoppe can actually complete a meaningful play, be it a assist-worthy pass or a goal-scoring shot.

In fairness to Gergg, he is probably looking at "How can I field the best team over three matches in seven days?" whereas we're looking at "What's the best side we can put together today?" Even so, I don't understand why Arriola would start and play a full 90 in a must-win home WCQ.

• Hook 'Em 5

12 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Nipple's lack of quality will never be more obvious than it was last night. His effort and work rate were tremendous, but that's not good enough anymore. Not with this team. Not with this roster.

How many promising build-ups died at Arriola's feet? Answer: All of them. Whenever he was given a chance to make the incisive pass, or take a meaningful shot, he bottled it.

Yes, he hustled all over the pitch and won us possession on multiple occasions. He's got a great motor, but his skillset is so poor, that motor should be confined to the likes of Gold Cups and friendlies.

I like the guy, but I don't like how Gergg uses him (and a few other favorites) when there are clearly better options. Hoppe, for example, also works his ass off. Unlike Arriola, however, Hoppe can actually complete a meaningful play, be it a assist-worthy pass or a goal-scoring shot.

In fairness to Gergg, he is probably looking at "How can I field the best team over three matches in seven days?" whereas we're looking at "What's the best side we can put together today?" Even so, I don't understand why Arriola would start and play a full 90 in a must-win home WCQ.

I think Nipple gets the “I need a veteran on the field” nod over Hoppe, which is ridiculous. You can take all the risks in the world with your forwards.  If you want to be conservative, work from the 6 back. 

13 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

I think if we hadn’t scored 2 goals he’d have been subbed off.   Hopefully that’s the last we see of him this window, well unless we are up like 3-0.  

It's kind of dumb either way. We have younger guys that need experience. 

• Like 1

Friends,

Spent all week on the road for work, but managed to watch the Jamaica match from my hotel room. Some tidbits:

Tyler Adams. What a fucking rock.

Antonee Robinson isn't perfect, but he's the best left back the US has fielded in a while (possibly damning with faint praise cuz there haven't been many good ones).

Gonna be in the minority and say I don't favor Dest or Yedlin at right back. Yedlin's a great athlete, but his marking has always been suspect. His only real value is in the overlap, crossing balls inside the 6-yard box. Dest has a great deal more skill but might be an even worse defender. With apologies to Barcelona, why does he play anything other than wingback or winger?

Honestly, the entire backline and midfield did an excellent job of suffocating Jamaica with pressure and possession. Yes, the Reggae Boyz were not 100 percent, but we still boatraced them. In addition to the two red cards, sure seemed like Zardes should've drawn a penalty late in the match. And Jamaica's only quality chance came in the 93rd minute.

Would love to see Weah start against Costa Rica. Why? Cuz the Ticos are old. Imagine Timothy burning down the left flank, angling in for goal or serving up pinpoint crosses (hopefully, to a finisher more capable than our lovable Demolition Man).

Overreaction of the match: First I can recall seeing Luca de la Torre. Empty minutes in a near-meaningless situation, but was still impressed with what I saw. Dude has that Cuauhtemoc Blanco vibe in that he's a slow-footed playmaker who loves to catch defenders sleeping. I want to see more.

Wanna see more of Musah, too. A lot more.

Speaking of overreactions, still trying to rein myself in on Pepi, and he's still making that extremely difficult.

We really are on the cusp of having heated debates over who should start, who should sub, who gets left off, and what formation they should play in. There's a lot of talent (with more waiting in the wings) and picking a "Best 11" is going to require leaving some studs on the bench.

Anyway, sorry for the keyboard diarrhea. Tough watching a match like that and not having an outlet. I was giggling with delight by the time Aaronson crossed it to Pepi for goal No.2.

🤘

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Nipple is a player that should be subbing in at the 70th minute or so to introduce some energy.  I appreciate how hard he works, but damn it was awful last night

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mackavelli said:

I had a blast last night.  The crowd was in it all game.  I appreciated the players showing their respect to the crowd after the match.

• Like 1

Maybe a hot take, but I love zimmerman. I actually prefer him over Brooks. A slight bit more fleet footed and doesn't get left out of position. He can still be valuable in the air, thought thats a definite downgrade from Brooks, especially on offensive/defensive corners. In the run of play though, i dig him. If GERG is determined to have one MLS lifer/veteran on the pitch, it could be a LOT worse than zimmerman

Edited by Bottlecap
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

Q2 definitely needs to be in the regular rotation.  that was bad ass.  the fact that the golden boy striker is a native Texan will definitely help keep Austin as a location for years to come.

Agreed except for when we play Mexico. No home game for them. I want the USMNT to consistently play Mexico in the whitest place imaginable in America (no racist).

3 hours ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

I had a blast last night.  The crowd was in it all game.  I appreciated the players showing their respect to the crowd after the match.

Yeah man. I fucking saw McKennie give his cleats to a young boy and my grown ass nearly lost it. I know it was a simple gesture, but my father grew up without shoes for the first 15 years of life.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

McKennie also gave his jersey to a young fan going in at half (or after warm ups... I forget... Beerz). 

He's a good dude, protocol violation or not. 

That first half was just.... Ok. Honestly forgot Pepi was in the game. But man, some stars emerged in the 2nd - Pepi (duh), Musah, Dest, Aaronson, Robinson. And I have to think, without a 2nd sober rewatch, that a lot of that is due to Adams and McKennie just doing the dirty work. 

Fuck I'm excited again. We're winning the World Cup!

• Like 1

Game day, fools.

(That's the blessed thing about this compressed schedule--qualifiers are coming fast and furious. It's been a real treat so far.)

Who do y'all expect Gergg will start at Panama? My guess:

Hoppe          Pepi          Aaronson

Lletget          Adams          Acosta

Bello     M. Robinson     McKenzie     Yedlin

Turner

Maybe Zimmerman teams up with Robinson again, but I expect Beerholder to give one of them the day off and Zimmerman is my guess because Robinson has been so reliable.

I could see Gergg resting Adams and playing Acosta at the 6 with Roldan or maybe Busio. Lletget, Acosta and Roldan are all but guaranteed to see action because they are Gergg's boys, they're veterans, and it's an away qualifier in "harsh" environment.

Pepi is a must. Whether he's the third coming of Jesus remains to be seen, but he's in undeniably great form and he's the only guy we can count on to maximize chances. He's also 18, so if anyone can handle starting three matches in seven days, it's him.

Definitely feel like Hoppe will start, but not sure if on the left or right. Recall him playing on the left during the Gold Cup, so that's what I went with. Besides, positions are mere suggestions for players like Hoppe and Aaronson.

Weah, Musah, and even de la Torre impressed Thursday night, but I see them as first subs rather than starters. Besides, I'm secretly hoping Gergg keeps Weah fresh so he can tear Costa Rica's backline a new asshole on Wednesday. Would also like to see Aaronson get some rest, and if that occurs, then maybe Hoppe takes his place and Weah features on the left.

Gergg remains inscrutable to me so this lineup is probably more wrong than right.

Who y'all got?

Honestly would not be pissed at Zardes starting same with Acosta as long as it is at the 6.   Need to keep guys fresh, bring on subs in the second half.  I’m really hoping to see at least 1 of HOPPE or Weah.  I’d love to see Hoppe start at the 9, but doubt it happens. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/8/2021 at 5:45 PM, Braff Zacklin said:

Gonna be in the minority and say I don't favor Dest or Yedlin at right back. Yedlin's a great athlete, but his marking has always been suspect. His only real value is in the overlap, crossing balls inside the 6-yard box. Dest has a great deal more skill but might be an even worse defender. With apologies to Barcelona, why does he play anything other than wingback or winger?

Yeah, I definitely want to see Chris Richards or Bryan Reynolds or Reggie Cannon given some time at right back. That’s their natural position.  I’m tired of Yedlin. 

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

McKennie plays in Italy, chief.

Although it looks like he's out due to a quad nag.

Sorry, got my info from here which said travel restrictions. We're also down Steffan and Robinson

https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/2021/10/10/22717977/panama-vs-usa-2022-world-cup-qualifying-time-tv-schedule-and-lineups

4 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Sorry, got my info from here which said travel restrictions. We're also down Steffan and Robinson

https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/2021/10/10/22717977/panama-vs-usa-2022-world-cup-qualifying-time-tv-schedule-and-lineups

Rob Usry seems like an idiot then. 

Steffen and Robinson are out due to travel restrictions. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Not happy seeing Arriola again, especially with Hoppe rested, and double especially with another horrible-first-touch player (Zardes) up top. That leaves Weah crossing the ball in to a couple of potatoes.

If we get the Acosta who featured for us in the Gold Cup, then at least Lletget will have someone to pass back to. Haha.

In all fairness, you had to expect Sebastian would start and his age and experience might actually be a benefit. Surprised yet glad to see Musah.

Bello, McKenzie and Zimmerman should be OK. Shaq Moore instead of Yedlin isn't necessarily bad as DeAndre is not the best at marking.

Honestly, Arriola is the only thing that upsets me. He held the offense back last night and literally wasted every meaningful chance/promising pass that came his way.

• Like 1