2021 UFC/MMA thread

shadow_operative2.0

8 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Anyone have a list of famous fighters that live in Austin?

Was getting a haircut and another guy recognized some fighter. He was really excited about it and asked for an autograph and a picture of the fighter putting him in a headlock.

Seemed like a nice guy. Chinese symbol tattoo on the back of his neck. Be interested to know who it was.

Was it a big white dude? Could be Stipe Miocic, he has Asian characters tattooed all over his back and he's training for a fight with Jon Jones in a month and a half. 

5 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Was it a big white dude? Could be Stipe Miocic, he has Asian characters tattooed all over his back and he's training for a fight with Jon Jones in a month and a half. 

No, that wasn't him. I looked through rankings for a bit yesterday and didn't see the guy. I figure he must be at least decent judging by the fan's reaction. 

On 9/25/2023 at 11:14 PM, FirstTimeCaller said:

Anyone have a list of famous fighters that live in Austin?

Was getting a haircut and another guy recognized some fighter. He was really excited about it and asked for an autograph and a picture of the fighter putting him in a headlock.

Seemed like a nice guy. Chinese symbol tattoo on the back of his neck. Be interested to know who it was.

Roger Huerta might be the most known....although he would not be recognizable by most fans. 

He's the guy who fought Rashad Bobino on 6th street.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Craig Jones was saying that if Islam tries a head and arm choke on Volk, he would get buggy choked. I dunno, a buggy choke in MMA seems like you're just asking to get slammed on your head, I know it's worked before though.

Honestly, I think the buggy choke is gimmicky. I don’t see high level grapplers getting caught with it. And I would hope one would slam the fuck out of someone trying it.

Didn't have Khamzat calling for world peace on the post fight interview Bingo card. 

If that would have been 5 rounds I think Usman could have won it. Khamzat is dominant early but gasses himself. I don't know how he'll handle 5 rounds. 

Edited by Hermanator

• 3 weeks later...

ESPN with a story about UFC 1, and one-glove Jimmerson

The UFC fighter who tapped out first - ESPN

BACKSTAGE AT UFC 1, Art Jimmerson was sure he was going to win the whole thing. Like, very sure. The boxer outweighed his first opponent by a good 20 pounds, and he laughed out loud when he saw that the guy -- a young jiu-jitsu black belt named Royce Gracie -- was going to be wearing what looked like a bathrobe into the cage.

"Easy money," he thought.

So easy, in fact, that he decided to wear only one boxing glove into the cage the night of Nov. 12, 1993. He had both gloves with him. But he figured he was so much more skilled than the other guys who showed up at UFC 1 that he would KO his way through the tournament bracket by peppering each of his opponents with his jab, then fire his ungloved right hand and put their lights out with one punch. He couldn't wait to make a quick $70,000.

Jimmerson had won 15 straight boxing matches, with a possible fight against Thomas Hearns in the near future. That made him a huge get for the inaugural Ultimate Fighting Championship as his sport's representative.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

So Aspinal is going to fight Jon Jones for the legit HW title? Or did Jones get stripped and I didn't hear about it? 

It's probably still Stipe vs. Jones for the real belt. Then either Jones retires or maybe takes on Aspinal. Jamal Hill is around too. 

Heavy weight is messed up right now

18 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Let the arguments about the stoppage start. Eye roll. Bom trabalho Poatan.

Oh, it was definitely early.  But, Jiri was also mounted and hurt.  Pretty sure it ends 5 to 15 seconds later anyway.

Jiri was doing really well in the 2nd until he walked into that counter left.  Both fighters had their moments and both hurt each other.  Hope they meet again someday, because it's a great matchup.

Tom Aspinall is the real deal in that thin division. I was really disappointed when he murked his own knees against Blaydes, because it would rob HW of the only other true talent (outside of Gane). 

Jamahal Hill is a pretender. I dont think he would survive even Jiri. 

SIAP - I just noticed UFC is in Austin the same day we play in the Big 12 championship.

I went a few years back when it was in Austin and Cerrone was the top fight.
Everyone should go to a live MMA event.  It's way easier to see what's going on when it's on TV, but it's still an experience that should be taken in.

image.thumb.png.28a879a766f754520554b6a1187525ab.png

Also i agree going to them live is pretty fun. I also appreciate the down time to get drunk...and the lines are never long really because people are going at all different times for beer runs/piss breaks.

I think i have been to 6 total in Houston and Dallas. I still need to get to one in Vegas.

• Hook 'Em 1

the entire womens roster is even thinner than mens heavyweight. 

womens p4p #4 is 12-5

#5 last 3 fights includes a win over meatball molly and a loss

#7 is 12-6 (rose)

miesha tate is top 15 in her division and has only 1 win in the last 7 years...

etc...

Edited by 52-80

• 2 weeks later...