2021 MLB Thread

LTtxfan

So awesome.  Bauer gets pulled after 110 pitches.  Was lights out.  The Gyro cunts were booing him and he put his hand to his ear and encouraged them to boo louder.  He’s a weirdo, a Bruin, and maybe the best pitcher in baseball.  And fuck San Fran.

7 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

You’re younger than me, because you never saw Rod Carew

I have seen Rod Carew live more than I’ve seen Gwynn.  My closest friend growing up’s dad owned the Salinas Angels (he was a big produce guy), and I went to countless Angel games.  Carew was a straight slap hitter.  A great one, butGwynn would hurt you if you went inside on him.  Gwynn was better than Carew, and I saw them both.  A lot.

I'm not quite 40 yet, so remember Gwynn but didn't see a lot of him in game situations because I grew up abroad. But his baseball card was the ace in the deck in a lot of games.

Best hitter in terms of getting base hits that I personally have seen a lot of might be Ichiro, who I would put in that GOAT tier.

I’m biased, because Gwynn is my favorite non-Astro player, but he’s the greatest pure hitter of the last 40 years.  He had plenty of pop when the opportunity presented itself.   You don’t hit almost .400 by barely clearing the infield with looping liners.

Ichiro was a lot like Gwynn, so he’s right up there in my mind.  I just remember knowing every time that Gwynn came up to the plate that it was going to be a good at bat.  Michael Brantley reminds me of Gwynn in that sense, but not to the same degree.  You get about 90% good ABs from Brantley while Gwynn was as close to 100% as we’ll ever see.  

• Hook 'Em 2

JoePos:

OK, so are baseball’s “new” rules intended to destroy the Minnesota Twins? The Twins are 13-24 as of this writing, the worst record in baseball. And we can go into the reasons why they are struggling, but two obvious things jump out when you look at their record.

They are 0-4 in seven-inning doubleheader games.

And they are 0-7 in extra-inning games with the runner starting on second base.

Can anybody explain to me how the PTBNL works? Boston is still waiting for 2 players from the Royals for the Benintendi trade. Would they normally have been offered a fixed list or does that the pool of players change as the roster churns? I haven't paid much attention to these things but it seems like the trades are usually finalized before this much time has passed.

1 hour ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

Can anybody explain to me how the PTBNL works? Boston is still waiting for 2 players from the Royals for the Benintendi trade. Would they normally have been offered a fixed list or does that the pool of players change as the roster churns? I haven't paid much attention to these things but it seems like the trades are usually finalized before this much time has passed.

My understanding is they have up to 6 months.  

Edited by Scraps

On 5/22/2021 at 8:44 AM, Guadaloopy said:

I’m biased, because Gwynn is my favorite non-Astro player, but he’s the greatest pure hitter of the last 40 years.  He had plenty of pop when the opportunity presented itself.   You don’t hit almost .400 by barely clearing the infield with looping liners.

Ichiro was a lot like Gwynn, so he’s right up there in my mind.  I just remember knowing every time that Gwynn came up to the plate that it was going to be a good at bat.  Michael Brantley reminds me of Gwynn in that sense, but not to the same degree.  You get about 90% good ABs from Brantley while Gwynn was as close to 100% as we’ll ever see.  

Career ISO of .120, 15% below league average. Gwynn is simultaneously one of the greatest and one of the most overrated hitters ever.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

A few years ago a player got traded for a PTBNL, which ended up being himself a few months later. Actually happened a couple times to other guys.

https://www.vintagedetroit.com/blog/2014/11/22/major-leaguers-traded/

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

can you expound on this? i have no idea what ISO is.

Isolated power, slugging percentage minus batting average. So essentially the number of extra bases per at-bat.  Obviously not Gwynn's game, just offered in response to the claim that he was dangerous if you pitched him inside. He was dangerous like your average 1980s middle infielder was dangerous.

Gwynn was not nearly the best "pure hitter" of the last 40 years unless the only thing you mean by that term is that he avoided strikeouts, which makes it a much weaker accolade. 

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Isolated power, slugging percentage minus batting average. So essentially the number of extra bases per at-bat.  Obviously not Gwynn's game, just offered in response to the claim that he was dangerous if you pitched him inside. He was dangerous like your average 1980s middle infielder was dangerous.

Gwynn was not nearly the best "pure hitter" of the last 40 years unless the only thing you mean by that term is that he avoided strikeouts, which makes it a much weaker accolade. 

I think the truth is somewhere between the accolades and your shade.

"pure hitter" to me means average and no one has done that better than TG in a long long time.

He also once had a 1.012 OPS with 12 HR

That's the thing, though, I'm not throwing shade. My supposed shade is that he's one of the greatest hitters of all time, but that the public vastly overrates him. I mean come on, your big defense of his being dangerous as a hitter is that he once had 12 home runs (he also actually once had 14 but that doesn't change the point).

He was a great batting average guy. One of the best ever. But he was not the best hitter of his generation, let alone of all time.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 1