Bourbon

Jimbaround

21 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Anyone else not a fan of Stagg jr? There’s about 40 cheaper bourbons that I like significantly more. 

You should always confer with BOZO before purchases. The main knowz hes shet.

or brown water.

Edited by ckhorn
knone

Started tonight with a glass of Blood Oath and now on a glass of 1792 FP. 1792 is hands down the better of the 2. It’s fast becoming one of my faves. About halfway through a Total Wine store pick, once that one is done, I’ll move on to a Goody Goody pick and compare the 2.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Anyone know of anyplace in Austin with a bottle of O.K.I. Reserve?

OKI by New Riff Distillery has not set up distribution in Texas as of now but has an application in.  There are no bottles on the shelves and doubt their sourced OKI juice will ever make it down.  There are, however, lots of guys in the Austin bourbon community with bottles that have muled ‘em back from Ky.  It’s no different than drinking single barrel MGP versions of SAOS, Belle Meade, or Boone County.  

1 hour ago, Whiskyteer said:

OKI by New Riff Distillery has not set up distribution in Texas as of now but has an application in.  There are no bottles on the shelves and doubt their sourced OKI juice will ever make it down.  There are, however, lots of guys in the Austin bourbon community with bottles that have muled ‘em back from Ky.  It’s no different than drinking single barrel MGP versions of SAOS, Belle Meade, or Boone County.  

Yeah, I had a a single barrel SAOS and it was great. Was hoping maybe O.K.I. was being sold somewhere. I know it’s all sourced MGP but they made good stuff

Anyone else not a fan of Stagg jr? There’s about 40 cheaper bourbons that I like significantly more. 
I'm a big fan of it. I did a blind side by side with GTS, and I preferred the Jr. GTS is a lot more of an acquired taste IMO. Both are right at 66%, so not much difference in alcohol, but I thought the JR was more like other BT Bourbons. Kind of like a Weller 12 on steroids.

Question about some allocation bourbons, or the process. Let’s take WLW for example 

Company produced 19K bottles. I’m guessing they allocate a certain amount of bottles to stores and or distributors by how much said store buys in their generic brand stuff. 

So Specs buys a lot of Buffalo Trace products, so they get a couple cases. They send a couple bottles to certain stores that sell a lot. And then those stores hold bottles for restaurants that spend a lot or customers who spend a lot? 

Is that about right? 

Just trying to figure out how some assholes get a bottle.

(Yes, I realize there is the black market way. Are some of those people just liquor stores trying to make a bigger profit?)

6.5 lb prime tenderloin trimmed and tied. Dijon mustard, salt and pepper on the outside. Cooked indirect on the BGE at 375 until 120 internal, then removed plate setter and cranked the temp up and seared the outside. Rested for 15 mins then sliced.

Don’t watch Neat on Hulu if you aren’t prepared to pour a glass or two of brown water. Started with woodford batch proof ( classic woodford profile in the best way ), now on to moonshine for their OWA pick and a raffle ticket.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Yankee said:

Don’t watch Neat on Hulu if you aren’t prepared to pour a glass or two of brown water. Started with woodford batch proof ( classic woodford profile in the best way ), now on to moonshine for their OWA pick and a raffle ticket.

Is the Batch proof worth the price tag?

23 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:
On 5/25/2018 at 9:30 PM, Firemans4Horn said:

I'm a big fan of it. I did a blind side by side with GTS, and I preferred the Jr. GTS is a lot more of an acquired taste IMO. Both are right at 66%, so not much difference in alcohol, but I thought the JR was more like other BT Bourbons. Kind of like a Weller 12 on steroids.

Wat?  This is up there with a person's favorite burger being from Chilli's

16 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

I like it a lot. I haven’t fully decided if it was worth the $$ yet, there are cheaper ones that I like more ( OF 1920, 1792 FP, Blanton’s,etc).
But I’m not upset at spending the money on it.
It’s a solid pour.

I am in the same boat as you. It is not worth the price at retail, and probably over priced by around $30 dollars. That said, I enjoyed my first pour and do not regret buying a bottle. I am interested to see how it changes with a little time open, I remember the OF 1920 getting better. 

I picked up a bottle of ER for $35 and snagged the 1792 Barrel Proof for $50.  I may have to go back for the RY10 after work.  They have 2 bottles.

Also had some hit or miss prices on:

4R SiB Barrel Strength

W12 ($70!)

Weller Antique

EHT Small Batch

Elijah Craig Small Batch Barrel Proof

2 more 750 bottles of ER as well as a 1.75 bottle that I didn't ask the price.

1 hour ago, Horn21 said:

I picked up a bottle of ER for $35 and snagged the 1792 Barrel Proof for $50.  I may have to go back for the RY10 after work.  They have 2 bottles.

Also had some hit or miss prices on:

4R SiB Barrel Strength

W12 ($70!)

Weller Antique

EHT Small Batch

Elijah Craig Small Batch Barrel Proof

2 more 750 bottles of ER as well as a 1.75 bottle that I didn't ask the price.

I can't get enough of those two.

My GoodyGoody guy texted me this morning and said he's got Rhetoric 23.   $130    Worth it?

i have it and paid that much last year. answer is no. apparently i don’t learn from my mistakes bc i bought the Rhetoric 24 last week on a whim

• Like 1

My GoodyGoody guy texted me this morning and said he's got Rhetoric 23.   $130    Worth it?

Because of the nature of bourbon’s popularity as a collector product with a huge secondary market, people have come to overvalue age statements, and the labels know that and work to meet the market.
Most bourbon peaks at 6-8 years. With significant investment and difficultly they can slow and extend the aging process to increase depth,mellow heat and excavate levels of complexity over 12, 15, even 18 years. Great masters can extend the process over 20+ years and coax real magic from what evaporation and time leave behind, but most bourbon that stays in the barrel that long is simply past its prime, and a significant minority is what you might call an interesting failure. But all three will sell, because of the age statement.
You can be the judge of which category Rhetoric falls into.

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Because of the nature of bourbon’s popularity as a collector product with a huge secondary market, people have come to overvalue age statements, and the labels know that and work to meet the market.
Most bourbon peaks at 6-8 years. With significant investment and difficultly they can slow and extend the aging process to increase depth,mellow heat and excavate levels of complexity over 12, 15, even 18 years. Great masters can extend the process over 20+ years and coax real magic from what evaporation and time leave behind, but most bourbon that stays in the barrel that long is simply past its prime, and a significant minority is what you might call an interesting failure. But all three will sell, because of the age statement.
You can be the judge of which category Rhetoric falls into.

I agree with this, though there are certainly exceptions. I think the Michter 10 is outstanding and the pappy 15 is divine. But agree that most bourbons are perfe t at 7-8 years based on my extensive experience and highly unsofisticated palate. 

• Like 1

I feel like the sweet spot is 10-12

Fair enough, but you are probably drinking bourbon specifically made and managed in the barrel to come out of the barrel at 10-12 years.
But if you left a random barrel of Beam or Ancient Age or Henry McKenna, or even Woodford in the rick for 12 years, the 10 year old barrel very likely wouldn’t be as good as the 7 year olds around it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Fair enough, but you are probably drinking bourbon specifically made and managed in the barrel to come out of the barrel at 10-12 years.
But if you left a random barrel of Beam or Ancient Age or Henry McKenna, or even Woodford in the rick for 12 years, the 10 year old barrel very likely wouldn’t be as good as the 7 year olds around it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see your point. I probably just like the 10-12 style better. Obviously there are many fantastic bourbons in the 6-8 range. 

I’m with you, for what it’s worth. My very favorite bourbon ever is Weller 12.

That being said, Larceny, Blantons and Woodford are all between 6-8 years. on the other hand ETL (being selected for profile rather than age) is reputed to be anywhere from 9ish to 14 years old. It’s ready when it’s ready.

I’m at war with myself. Intellectually I hate age statements because they encourage dumb consumer behavior and restrict supply of good stuff. But there are a number of excellent whiskies with age statements and I preferentially buy them, so I’m part of the problem.

I think we are at a point where there are only two categories of whiskey- abundant mass market and allocation - and which category a product winds up in is strictly an artifact of marketing strategy except at the very highest end. Otherwise there is great bourbon and cynical crap in both.