Bourbon

Jimbaround

8 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

Boy did I dodge a bullet yesterday. Left these 2 bottles of RY10 in my truck from lunch until about 5 and I guess the heat caused the corks to pop. When I opened the boxes, the corks were just sitting on the top of bottles, the box lid kept them there.
And one completely separated. Luckily they didn’t tip over on my drive home. I would have cried.
376c80060a6dd500dd8b447ed282424f.jpgde94229727831ba31703c5e70599c25f.jpg

I need to turn  your ass into the CPS. You can't leave your children in car with this heat.

• Like 3

Last week, I had a cork pop on the bottle of Orphan Barrel Rhetoric I'd bought at lunch and left in my truck in the afternoon.  Lost about 1.5 oz, as it was laying tilted on the seat, most of it stayed in the bottle.  Pricey lesson learned, but truck smelled nice and bourbony until about a day or two ago.  

Oh, and count me as a fan of it.  I like the spice and the almost leathery notes.  Wish it were about 2/3 that price, but I'm a cheap bastard...

Picked up a bottle of Old Forester Single Barrel on a whim yesterday, looking forward to trying it.  Any thoughts on that one?  

37 minutes ago, Redneck Mutha said:

Last week, I had a cork pop on the bottle of Orphan Barrel Rhetoric I'd bought at lunch and left in my truck in the afternoon.  Lost about 1.5 oz, as it was laying tilted on the seat, most of it stayed in the bottle.  Pricey lesson learned, but truck smelled nice and bourbony until about a day or two ago.  

Oh, and count me as a fan of it.  I like the spice and the almost leathery notes.  Wish it were about 2/3 that price, but I'm a cheap bastard...

Picked up a bottle of Old Forester Single Barrel on a whim yesterday, looking forward to trying it.  Any thoughts on that one?  

1920 Prohibition is the way to go. It's a little steep for an everyday drinker, but it's a darned good bourbon when things are scarce. 

2 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

Yea I don’t get the hate. I like it as well.

Nice start and good finish. Middle could be better. It's a blend, so maybe the purists are offended. I'd like to get some percentages on the blend, it's advertised as a 9, 10, and 12 year old. Whiskey Jug gave it an 86. I think it's right about there. I'd probably push it towards an 87-88. 

If I ever see a Blood Oath Pact 2 on the shelf, I'm buying it. 

For the record, I think it's pretty cool what Rhetoric/Orphan Barrel is doing. These great bourbons need to be enjoyed somehow, some way. It would be nice if they were a little cheaper.

10 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

1920 Prohibition is the way to go. It's a little steep for an everyday drinker, but it's a darned good bourbon when things are scarce. 

Yeah, I'm a fan of the 1920, 1897 isn't bad either, but I had not had the SiB before so went with it.  Guy at Twins said the same thing about the 1920 being the way to go.  Think I'll crack it open shortly after I finish my sazerac.

1 minute ago, Redneck Mutha said:

Yeah, I'm a fan of the 1920, 1897 isn't bad either, but I had not had the SiB before so went with it.  Guy at Twins said the same thing about the 1920 being the way to go.  Think I'll crack it open shortly after I finish my sazerac.

Old Forester's packaging/marketing is confusing as hell. They're all priced similarly and all the bottles look the same. I think they're missing a real opportunity with the 1920. Thank Gawd they haven't done it, but they could turn 1920 into an allocated bourbon pretty easily with the right spin. 

24 minutes ago, TheAuditor said:

Buddy fly fishing in Montana -  Texts me last week and wants to know  if I want some Blanton's -  he had wandered into a liquor store that had 6 CASES.  He bought two cases and delivered one to my front Door this afternoon.  Happy Fathers Day indeed.  

Now that is a friend.

Buddy fly fishing in Montana -  Texts me last week and wants to know  if I want some Blanton's -  he had wandered into a liquor store that had 6 CASES.  He bought two cases and delivered one to my front Door this afternoon.  Happy Fathers Day indeed.  
I'm going to Montana on monday, I'll see what I can find!

5 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Started the night out with one of my last pours from my Old Scout 10 year single barrel. This will be a tough one to replace. Bought at Total Wine back in 2016. 

Because I like you, Blackwell's had it online in December 2017 and January 2018. I'd shoot Gary an email and see if he's bringing it back. 

I'm down to my last bottle myself. 

35 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Because I like you, Blackwell's had it online in December 2017 and January 2018. I'd shoot Gary an email and see if he's bringing it back. 

I'm down to my last bottle myself. 

I know it’s MGP but it’s very tasty. Ambler people know how to pick them. I will look around and see if I csn find another. Might be hard with their own hooch coming of age. 

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

I know it’s MGP but it’s very tasty. Ambler people know how to pick them. I will look around and see if I csn find another. Might be hard with their own hooch coming of age. 

Ambler is at a cross roads. Are they good sourcers or are they good distillers? It's debatable after the Big Level release. 

I hope High West waits 7 years before their first true release. 

20 minutes ago, thestud said:

I know where I can get you an Old Scout 11 yr, but it won't be cheap. I think they wanted $85 for it last time I stopped. Same place wants $44 for ER, $99 for Blanton's, $699 for GTS and $799 for WLW.

Is this store in Katy?  Thought they wanted $49 for ER.  The rest sounds about right.

0647976f57d796b36c3a9e11e78bdfe8.jpg

so temps got up to 96 today in Chicago and it t made me nostalgic for Texas... so i broke down and bought the gimmicky Wild turkey Longbranch... gotta say i’m actually enjoying it. my BiL was surprisingly in agreement. i expected pure marketing trash when i bought it

40 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Is $38 a pour worth it for Boss Hog? I want to try to before I buy a bottle. The best price I've ever seen is $399 at one my local stores. 

Around 40 a pour is what I have seen, so yes. Give us feedback.

24 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Will do. What time of year is Boss Hogg usually released? 

PVY or BOZO would most likely know this. I've seen them at my local specs and TW. I don't think they are hard to find. $$$$$

Edited by ckhorn
$

On 6/15/2018 at 7:50 PM, Redneck Mutha said:

On 6/15/2018 at 8:28 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Completely agree. 1920 is the great.  It's one of my favorites and has to be on the short list of best bourbons you can find on the shelf of just about any store.  IF it's not part of your collection, definitely want to add it.  Total Wine has it for $50, which is about 10-20% cheaper than most other places I'v seen.

Edited by UT Lawnghorn

10 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Is $38 a pour worth it for Boss Hog? I want to try to before I buy a bottle. The best price I've ever seen is $399 at one my local stores. 

The $450 bottle is The Dark Prince.  You can find that on occasion.  Mine is 2 years old and I don't think it cost more than $150.

Some good news.

http://www.gobourbon.com/buffalo-trace-releases-statement-bourbon-shortage/

Buffalo Trace Distillery Investing $1.2 Billion to Increase Output

In 2013, Buffalo Trace Distillery looked at its Bourbon inventory, current sales, and 20 year sales projections and determined it had a problem: fans were drinking more Bourbon than the company had predicted. In short, the company was facing a Bourbon shortage.

So it took the next logical steps: put Bourbons most in danger of running out on allocation, warned fans there might be periodic shortages at the liquor stores, increased distillation, added more bottling lines, and hired more employees, including a dedicated position to watch and balance Bourbon inventory. The company thought these steps were the appropriate reaction to the problem, rather than raising prices to slow sales or compromising taste or quality to bottle more by diluting proof, or bottling barrels before they fully matured.

Now, five years later, the Bourbon boom is still booming, Bourbon sales continue to grow in the United States by five percent annually. The number of new brands has exploded as consumers seek more variety. Over 1,500 craft distilleries dot the landscape across America. The craft cocktail scene has arrived and a new Bourbon bar seems to open weekly.

Those national trends are good news for Buffalo Trace Distillery who has more barrels coming of age over the next 12 months. Fans of Buffalo Trace Bourbon will enjoy finding more bottles available in 2018, but the company still suspects it will not be enough to meet demand.

There’s good news on other brands too, like Eagle Rare, W. L. Weller, E. H. Taylor Jr, and Blanton’s Single Barrel, as all of these brands will see more barrels come of age and bottles produced in 2018.

The Distillery will continue to bottle other fan favorites such as Van Winkle, George T. Stagg, Elmer T. Lee and Sazerac Rye as barrels mature, but unfortunately there will be little growth on these brands.

The company expects the majority of its whiskeys will still be on allocation, and will continue Bourbon allocations across the U.S. to ensure each state receives some.

“When I started with the company in 1995, we filled 12,000 barrels a year. Today the growth seems moderate, but when you think about how far we’ve come, it’s actually phenomenal, considering when we’re on track to produce 200,000 barrels this year,” said Harlen Wheatley, master distiller.

All that growth takes capital investment, and Buffalo Trace is in the early stages of spending $1.2 billion over the next 10 years at this National Historic Landmark. Already, two new barrel warehouses are complete with new barrels are being loaded inside. The third is going up rapidly, and the foundation has been started for the fourth. When complete, each of these new warehouses will hold 58,800 barrels of whiskey. The plan is to build one new warehouse every four months for the next several years. Each warehouse cost $7.5 million to build and $21.0 million to fill with barrels.

Each warehouse will be insulated, an industry first, to protect it from the cold Kentucky winters, when Bourbon lies dormant inside a barrel when temperatures drop. Already, Buffalo Trace is one of the few distilleries to steam heat its existing warehouses, now another layer of environmental protection has been added with insulation.

But all those barrels means whiskey production must be increased too, which is why Buffalo Trace is in the process of replacing its boilers (some of which have been in place since the 1950s) and is prepping its site to add a new cooling tower next summer. The cooling tower cools down the water that is used for cooling down the grain after its cooked into mash.

Also next summer, the Distillery plans to add four new cookers, twice the size of the existing cookers. Plus, four new fermenters will be installed. These 92,000 gallons fermenting tanks will be same size as the existing fermenters – the largest in the distilling industry.

As whiskey production capacity increases, the distillery expansion will displace the main bottling operation at Buffalo Trace. So a new bottling hall is being built at a cost of $50.0 million which will improve efficiency, flexibility and overall quality. The move is expected to be complete by the end of 2018.

Buffalo Trace Distillery would like to stress that while the Bourbon shortages are prevalent on all of its brands, they speak only for themselves, not for the entire Bourbon industry.

Although Buffalo Trace is moving forward aggressively with expansion plans, allocations will continue, with no foreseeable end in sight. Buffalo Trace Distillery would like to thank its customers for their continued support and to ask them to remain patient asthey endeavor to make more Bourbon. Unfortunately, you can’t cheat Father Time when making good Bourbon!

Edited by BigDHornfan
  • Like 2