Bourbon

Jimbaround

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Thanks. 

In somewhat related note, any good, quick whiskey grabs near the airport in Louisville? One of my co-workers travels up there pretty regularly. 

Off the top of my head, Old Forester and Michter's are the only distilleries within the Louisville city limits. 

and Friendswood.

If you folks are looking for it at Total Wine. I don't think I have ever seen it there. Every so often they may have Buffalo Trace, but not much. Enjoying some KYO11 tonight. Getting ready for tomorrow.

Edited by ckhorn

13 minutes ago, ckhorn said:

and Friendswood.

If you folks are looking for it at Total Wine. I don't think I have ever seen it there. Every so often they may have Buffalo Trace, but not much. Enjoying some KYO11 tonight. Getting ready for tomorrow.

Something is going on with Total Wine and Buffalo Trace distributors. Spec's has it coming out of their ears and Total can't buy a bottle.  I've never seen Eagle Rare at Total Wine as well. 1792 and Bowman only. If Total in Houston does't have regular, ole Buffalo Trace, something is amiss. 

Pretty similar deal at Goody Goody. 

Spec's has Greater Houston in a vice grip. You're going to to have to deal with them if you live here. I guess at minimum, they don't mark it up. Just find the right guy or gal. 

I'd kill for a Twin Liquor or Deb's.

Edited by billfromlaketravis

Twin Liquor is making in roads into Houston.   There is one on the Grand Parkway just east of 45 up north and another one just opened on Kingwood.   I haven't visited the Kingwood yet but it's kind of smallish in size from what I can see.  

3 hours ago, FigurelliPwC said:

I thought it was decent - very little aroma or complexity, but was very clean and good finish. Not worth the price though, much better in the mid-price range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bourbon World is funny right now. 

Total Wine - Calumet 12 year and IW 15 on shelf. No one buys it. Eagle Rare behind special counter if they even get it. 

Gunters - Calumet 12 year locked up in special case. Eagle Rare stacked on shelf for anyone to buy

Debs - IW 15 Locke’s up in special case along with Eagle Rare. 1792 Full Proof all over the place on shelf 

Edited by Neonmoon

I'm prepared to write a review on a Woodford Reserve Bath Proof. 

It's good, as expected for a high proof from Woodford. It's priced too darned high though. I'd say it's a buy in the $75 range, but they tacked another 50 bucks on to MSRP. 

Has anybody visited the Woodford distillery? Any unique tastings/buys available?

15 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

It's good, as expected for a high proof from Woodford. It's priced too darned high though. I'd say it's a buy in the $75 range, but they tacked another 50 bucks on to MSRP. 

Has anybody visited the Woodford distillery? Any unique tastings/buys available?

My willingness to pay that price would be dependent on whose bath it came from

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Went there a month or so ago. Fantastic drive in through farms and horse pastures and grounds are really cool. Nothing was terribly unique about the tastings or buys in the gift shop though. Definitely still worth visiting for the grounds and atmosphere. 

I've been on a killing spree the last couple days. OWA, Blanton's,  Stagg Jr. and Baby Blue all done in the last two days.  The end of the week could see W12, EHT SiB and John J Bowman go down for the count. I really should slow down on the juice, but moderation is for pussies. Cheers gents

I like you, hell you can come over to my house and fuck my sister.
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, thestud said:

I've been on a killing spree the last couple days. OWA, Blanton's,  Stagg Jr. and Baby Blue all done in the last two days.  The end of the week could see W12, EHT SiB and John J Bowman go down for the count. I really should slow down on the juice, but moderation is for pussies. Cheers gents

Username checks out.

My local hills has a couple bottles of EH Taylor Barrel Proof and rye and only one of the small batch. I picked up the small batch. Should I get the other two also?

jfc why are you asking about the BP? ive been trying to get a bottle for over a year!!! buy them all!

On 7/4/2018 at 1:23 PM, Neonmoon said:

Bourbon World is funny right now. 

Total Wine - Calumet 12 year and IW 15 on shelf. No one buys it. Eagle Rare behind special counter if they even get it. 

Gunters - Calumet 12 year locked up in special case. Eagle Rare stacked on shelf for anyone to buy

Debs - IW 15 Locke’s up in special case along with Eagle Rare. 1792 Full Proof all over the place on shelf 

I'm cracking a bottle of IW Harper 15 tomorrow. I've tried it before and liked it, should be pretty good. I think it's priced OK for a 15 year at $63. 

23 hours ago, ISUCyclones said:

Went there a month or so ago. Fantastic drive in through farms and horse pastures and grounds are really cool. Nothing was terribly unique about the tastings or buys in the gift shop though. Definitely still worth visiting for the grounds and atmosphere. 

Thanks. I know Woodford is pretty close to Buffalo Trace, so I might as well swing by. 

Shit ok. I’ll go tomorrow

You aren’t deserving and tomorrow is my day off. Where is the honey hole. I actually finish my bottle last weekend. Need a new one. Finished my Stagg tonight too. Have the feels going on bc It was the last of my Pappy, Antique Collection Weller and don’t know if I will ever get another one of those.

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I'm cracking a bottle of IW Harper 15 tomorrow. I've tried it before and liked it, should be pretty good. I think it's priced OK for a 15 year at $63. 

I don't mean to sound like an asshole, but I believe you're putting waaaaay too much stock in the age statement. Obviously age has a lot to do with the flavor and drinkability of a spirit, but it's absolutely not the final word. Master distillers and blenders have been trying to ditch the age statement for years because it's limited the products they can put out from year to year. In my (probably shitty) opinion, the only good thing that might come from this bourbon craze bullshit is that age statements might become only part of the lure of a particular bottle.

7 hours ago, Paco said:

I don't mean to sound like an asshole, but I believe you're putting waaaaay too much stock in the age statement. Obviously age has a lot to do with the flavor and drinkability of a spirit, but it's absolutely not the final word. Master distillers and blenders have been trying to ditch the age statement for years because it's limited the products they can put out from year to year. In my (probably shitty) opinion, the only good thing that might come from this bourbon craze bullshit is that age statements might become only part of the lure of a particular bottle.

Interesting take. I like the age statements on the bottle to have a better understanding of what I'm buying/drinking. 

I've been drinking a lot of high proofs lately, and I want something more mellow this weekend. That's why I'm going with 86 proof IW Harper 15. 

I can see both sides of the age statement argument. I don’t think there is a right side either. Obviously there are many great bourbons that don’t carry an age statement that are delicious. There are also many great ones that do. I know I prefer bourbons in the 10-12 range. But I don’t necessarily care if there is some younger bourbon blended in. I think one of the issues is when there is an already established great bourbon that everyone loves with an age statement (EC12) and they take it away. Yes, it gives the master distiller more freedom, etc, but you’re still taking a product that someone enjoys off the market. I guess over time the same consumer will discover they enjoy the new EC product but again, it’s like taking a toy away from a child. 

On 5/31/2018 at 1:57 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

Because of the nature of bourbon’s popularity as a collector product with a huge secondary market, people have come to overvalue age statements, and the labels know that and work to meet the market.
Most bourbon peaks at 6-8 years. With significant investment and difficultly they can slow and extend the aging process to increase depth,mellow heat and excavate levels of complexity over 12, 15, even 18 years. Great masters can extend the process over 20+ years and coax real magic from what evaporation and time leave behind, but most bourbon that stays in the barrel that long is simply past its prime, and a significant minority is what you might call an interesting failure. But all three will sell, because of the age statement.
You can be the judge of which category Rhetoric falls into.

Oh, and this too. 

On 5/31/2018 at 5:56 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

I’m with you, for what it’s worth. My very favorite bourbon ever is Weller 12.

That being said, Larceny, Blantons and Woodford are all between 6-8 years. on the other hand ETL (being selected for profile rather than age) is reputed to be anywhere from 9ish to 14 years old. It’s ready when it’s ready.

I’m at war with myself. Intellectually I hate age statements because they encourage dumb consumer behavior and restrict supply of good stuff. But there are a number of excellent whiskies with age statements and I preferentially buy them, so I’m part of the problem.

I think we are at a point where there are only two categories of whiskey- abundant mass market and allocation - and which category a product winds up in is strictly an artifact of marketing strategy except at the very highest end. Otherwise there is great bourbon and cynical crap in both.

one more on this topic

14 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Thanks. I know Woodford is pretty close to Buffalo Trace, so I might as well swing by. 

That's what we did, hit up Buffalo trace and then swung by woodford. We didn't do the tour, we just did tasting and sat outside on the new patio area and had a cocktail. Very cool place and I bet the tour would be good too. 

32 minutes ago, ISUCyclones said:

That's what we did, hit up Buffalo trace and then swung by woodford. We didn't do the tour, we just did tasting and sat outside on the new patio area and had a cocktail. Very cool place and I bet the tour would be good too. 

A little closer to home, but I will begrudgingly admit that Garrison Bros has a really nice spread in Hye. Great place to sit under a big Texas oak and sip a drink. 

5 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I hope EH Taylor Single Barrel isn't head that way. It's the same price as Elijah Craig Barrel Proof right now. It shouldn't exceed that threshold. 

You just need to find them at Twins, TW or Specs 1st.