The White House Correspondents' Dinner

burntorangebongos

19 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

That is not a forgone conclusion, and it's something that we are all in a position to affect. Dems are winning everywhere without sinking to the GOP's level.  Some good people won in Virginia.  Doug Jones is a good dude who took down a pedophile Republican without throwing bombs.  The voters are already proving you wrong. 

I think it's likely that the Dems retake the House this November and use their power to investigate the Trump campaign into a slow political death, leading to the Dems taking the White House in 2020 (not sure what the Senate electoral map in 2020 will look like, but it must be better than this year so it's likely the Dems could take full unified government). The problem is that, if that happens, the Republicans will probably win a wave election in 2022, because the American media and the American public refuse to learn that modern Republicans are almost universally crooked and evil liars and saboteurs, and whatever problems exist at that time will all be blamed on Democrats regardless of how much damage the Republicans do before they lose power.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

This Joy Reid scandal is just another battle in the political warfare being conducted in the media and politics.  It was a character assassination from the very beginning.  Yeah, yeah, yeah she may have handled this very poorly but this is warfare.

Journalists and politicians are being targeted with the goal of taking them out of the arena.  Maddow was targeted last year with fraudulent classified documents.  

Get used to these type deals where you’re expected to call for their heads because “it’s the right thing to do.”

She brought it on herself.  The issue is her response to the old comments, not the comments themselves, and she controlled that, not a foreign power.  And you're so concerned about being manipulated by foreign agents that you're playing into their hands.  The goal isn't to take down Joy Reid, who is a nobody.  It's to discredit MSNBC for keeping her and people like you for hypocritically defending her.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, yaqdum said:

when i read a brisket post i envision him in the future rolling around some rest home trying to get someone to agree that the world did end last tuesday.

I get it.  Y'all are looking around, and shit hasn't completely fallen apart, so we're fine.

What you don't realize is that we have completely blown apart foundational underpinnings of a functioning republic.  You need to re-watch Force 10 from Navarone for a good analogy (and, a movie starring Harrison Ford and Carl Weathers, so that's cool).

The British demolition expert sets his charges in the dam.  He and Carl are on the hillside when they go BOOM....and then nothing happens.  Carl gets pissed at the Brit, who is just relaxing, lights up his pipe, and tells Carl to wait.  After a few minutes, the structural damage done begins to reveal itself, and then, eventually...

Trump and the GOP set off the dynamite.  We're still hanging out in the riverbed, insisting that everything is fine, see, nothing happened after the explosion!  I'm suggesting that we ought to get the fuck out of the riverbed.

Edited by Brisketexan

On 4/28/2018 at 10:28 PM, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Snowflake 

On 4/28/2018 at 10:31 PM, Hugo Stiglitz said:

On 4/29/2018 at 8:59 AM, Tom said:

Yeah, next year they should get a real comedian.  You know, instead of somebody with their own HBO special, maybe a Fox News host.

On 4/29/2018 at 11:06 AM, Hank Kingsley said:

Fuck the WHCA. 

16 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

5 hours ago, Turkleton said:

Would somebody on the twitter please tweet "Fuck your feelings" to these snowflakes?

5 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

She brought it on herself.  The issue is her response to the old comments, not the comments themselves, and she controlled that, not a foreign power.  And you're so concerned about being manipulated by foreign agents that you're playing into their hands.  The goal isn't to take down Joy Reid, who is a nobody.  It's to discredit MSNBC for keeping her and people like you for hypocritically defending her.

Who said anything about foreign agents? This is a warfare of our own making.  The manufactured outrage over Joy Reid is fucking pathetic.  Am I calling for Fox News to remove Hannity or Ingrham for all their malfeasance?

Nope, I am not.

So please spare me with your hypocrisy bullshit.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I get it.  Y'all are looking around, and shit hasn't completely fallen apart, so we're fine.

What you don't realize is that we have completely blown apart foundational underpinnings of a functioning republic.  You need to re-watch Force 10 from Navarone for a good analogy (and, a movie starring Harrison Ford and Carl Weathers, so that's cool).

The British demolition expert sets his charges in the dam.  He and Carl are on the hillside when they go BOOM....and then nothing happens.  Carl gets pissed at the Brit, who is just relaxing, lights up his pipe, and tells Carl to wait.  After a few minutes, the structural damage done begins to reveal itself, and then, eventually...

Trump and the GOP set off the dynamite.  We're still hanging out in the riverbed, insisting that everything is fine, see, nothing happened after the explosion!  I'm suggesting that we ought to get the fuck out of the riverbed.

Banzai!

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Who said anything about foreign agents? This is a warfare of our own making.  The manufactured outrage over Joy Reid is fucking pathetic.  Am I calling for Fox News to remove Hannity or Ingrham for all their malfeasance?

Nope, I am not.

You do, literally every day.  But OK. Regardless of the nation of the source, what I said holds true.  And I absolutely think it's a great discredit to FoxNews that they have Hannity on the air.  That's among the reasons they are such a shitty network — people like Hannity. 

I rail on Hannity but I don’t think I’ve ever called for his removal.  I’ve put the blame squarely on the viewers that continue to watch his shit.

Dont like Joy Reid? Fine, don’t watch.

And for the record, Joy Reid annoys the fuck out of me and I think she does a shitty job but I refuse to get all emo about her lying about some message board posts she may have made ten years ago.

41 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

that's funny.  i see a movie, too.  only my movie is the deer hunter, and the nation has been forced to play a kind of russian roulette with some decidedly non-american americans ever since nixon.  in my movie, the non-americans have just put one too many rounds in the revolver and we are just beginning to see the effect of that mistake.

20 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Joy Reid talk not going away soon.

Traylor Howard once played a character named "Joy," and I found her to be enchantingly cute.

a41f2e9cdb042c8418e20ca789a66f53.jpg

I mean, if we're gonna get derailed with "Joy" talk, I'm gonna take the sidetrack of my personal preference.

55 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

You'd agree that it wouldn't get her fired at Fox News, right?

was she that cute girl from the two guys pizza show with the dude from Firefly?  She was cute, I bet her ass filled out over the years.  Could be fun.

What were we talking about?  

7 minutes ago, Lobo said:

was she that cute girl from the two guys pizza show with the dude from Firefly?  She was cute, I bet her ass filled out over the years.  Could be fun.

What were we talking about?  

Exactly, man.  I am choosing to look away from the carnage.  And to look towards cute young ladies like Traylor Howard.  She's married these days...and still quite cute.

photos.medleyphoto.5246731.jpg

I Watched How Sarah Sanders Privately Reacted After Being Attacked – This Is Her Real Character

Posted By Benny Johnson On 3:00 PM 04/30/2018 In | No Comments

print&sz=300x250|300x600&c=1525124332

I was in the room Saturday night when comedian Michelle Wolf began attacking White House press secretary Sarah Sanders.

Sanders was sitting just feet away from Wolf as she began to hurl insults and bully her. Sanders was called a “liar” by Wolf, had her looks compared to a fictional sex-cult leader and was told she was an “Uncle Tom,” but for “disappointing white women.”

Sanders sat through the insults unsmiling, often looking uncomfortable. I watched the reaction from the sea of journalists and DC influencers packed like sardines into the room at the Washington Hilton as Wolf began leveling her attacks. There was very little laughter. Even the faces of the most liberal reporters cringed during the comments. There was audible groaning. Wolf carried on, reading from her prepared remarks, which also clumsily attacked Kellyanne Conway and made light of aborting a fetus.

White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders is seen at the White House Correspondents’ Association dinner in Washington, April 28, 2018. REUTERS/Aaron P. Bernstein

As Wolf closed out her remarks it was clear to all present that the act bombed. Those in the room knew the backlash would be swift and the mood from Correspondents Association members and White House staff was grim at the parties that carried on throughout the evening.

At the MSNBC after-party, I spoke with high-ranking members of Sarah’s staff. They were disgusted by the remarks and told me that the plan was for Sanders to walk out of the dinner if the attacks got too personal. Sarah, however, stayed firm.

“I don’t know how she does it,” one of her closest confidants told me, “She kills them with kindness — she puts up with it. Good-hearted American people see that — and then [Sarah] wins.”

Members of the White House press corp tell me they had asked for Sanders’ home address after the ordeal in order to send her a large flower basket.

REUTERS/Aaron P. Bernstein

The MSNBC party was set outdoors. It was a cold and rainy night and the event was winding down. Then the unexpected happened. Sarah Sanders walks into the MSNBC party. MSNBC, an openly liberal network that often promotes the vitriol that just attacked her, was the last place you would expect to find Sanders that night. But there she was. And guess what? Sarah Sanders was smiling. She owned it. I asked her about the attack and she shrugged, cracked a smile and simply told me that the attacks didn’t bother her and that she’s praying for the comedian.

That is the kind of woman she is.

Sanders did not lash out publicly. She did not attack Michelle Wolf personally or professionally. She just forgave her and shrugged it off.

Since then, the White House Correspondents Association has apologized and disavowed Wolf, hundreds of reporters have critiqued the dinner and Sanders has been defended by high-ranking members of the administration and the president himself.

Flying into Washington, D.C. as a celebrity to cheap-shot a mother who works in the White House to her face in front of a room of one thousand journalists, simply because you disagree with her politically, is not brave.

It’s the definition of a coward and a bully.

Putting up with it and forgiving that person afterward?

That is real power.

Article printed fromThe Daily Caller: http://dailycaller.com

URL to article: http://dailycaller.com/2018/04/30/how-sarah-sanders-privately-reacted-correspondents-dinner/

13 minutes ago, Falling Down said:

“I don’t know how she does it,” one of her closest confidants told me, “She kills them with kindness — she puts up with it. Good-hearted American people see that — and then [Sarah] wins.”

Flying into Washington, D.C. as a celebrity to cheap-shot a mother who works in the White House to her face in front of a room of one thousand journalists, simply because you disagree with her politically, is not brave.

It’s the definition of a coward and a bully.

Putting up with it and forgiving that person afterward?

The irony is strong here, for sure.

"she kills them with kindness."  That's rich.

Edited by DDD Dad

5 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I wasn’t intending to derail the thread with the Joy Reid thing, but the point of the example was that it’s, unfortunately, not just the Trumpkin right that is capable of being tribal hypocrites.  Joy Reid is a nobody MSNBC talking head, true.  That should make it even easier to say, “Screw her.  Her lies are as idiotic as the garbage we see from Trump, and we won’t tolerate it because we’re the good guys.”  She’s the perfect sacrificial lamb for a principled Democrat, or even just a cynical Democrat who wants to appear principled to stake out the moral high ground.

And yet Hugo can’t brinf himself to do it, and even does the full mirror image of the Trumpkin logic.  “What does it matter anyway? It’s war!  They’d do it to us!  They always get away with lying and attacking and denying all the things they do, and we get screwed when we play by the rules!  Well turnabout is fair play!”   

Some posters here didn’t tolerate her conduct, but there’s a growing tendency on both sides of the aisle to ignore all norms and standards of ethical conduct in favor of tribalism.  If someone tells a ridiculous lie, then the next step is identifying whether they’re on your side (in which case you minimize or justify) or whether they play on the other team (in which case you declare it the coming of the apocalypse).

Things will only get worse and more Trumpkiny on both sides if neither side is willing to rise above the tribalism and agree that there are rules that matter more than defending your own and attacking the other.

I completely agree.

I have a question for you...if the folks who oppose Trump and Trumpism decide to follow the rules and norms (say, like boxing), how is that going to work out for them, when the opposition crashes folding chairs over their heads while the mob cheers them on?

If you were in their corner, when the bell rings for the break before the next round, would you advise them to continue to dance and jab....or would you tell them that they fucking better pick up a chair and start swinging or else they're gonna die?

THAT is the problem when norms get completely trashed - it's the prisoner's dilemma, and the ONLY reasonable path is to respond in-kind.

Which is exactly what we're going to get from here on out.  I don't like it.  But sitting here watching it unfold, I'd be an idiot to expect anything else.

I'd much prefer a world in which integrity, truth, and facts matter.  I'm shit outta luck in that regard.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I wasn’t intending to derail the thread with the Joy Reid thing, but the point of the example was that it’s, unfortunately, not just the Trumpkin right that is capable of being tribal hypocrites.  Joy Reid is a nobody MSNBC talking head, true.  That should make it even easier to say, “Screw her.  Her lies are as idiotic as the garbage we see from Trump, and we won’t tolerate it because we’re the good guys.”  She’s the perfect sacrificial lamb for a principled Democrat, or even just a cynical Democrat who wants to appear principled to stake out the moral high ground.

And yet Hugo can’t brinf himself to do it, and even does the full mirror image of the Trumpkin logic.  “What does it matter anyway? It’s war!  They’d do it to us!  They always get away with lying and attacking and denying all the things they do, and we get screwed when we play by the rules!  Well turnabout is fair play!”   

Some posters here didn’t tolerate her conduct, but there’s a growing tendency on both sides of the aisle to ignore all norms and standards of ethical conduct in favor of tribalism.  If someone tells a ridiculous lie, then the next step is identifying whether they’re on your side (in which case you minimize or justify) or whether they play on the other team (in which case you declare it the coming of the apocalypse).

Things will only get worse and more Trumpkiny on both sides if neither side is willing to rise above the tribalism and agree that there are rules that matter more than defending your own and attacking the other.

And yet, you posted again about it.

20 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

And yet Hugo can’t bring himself to do it, and even does the full mirror image of the Trumpkin logic.  “What does it matter anyway? It’s war!  They’d do it to us!  They always get away with lying and attacking and denying all the things they do, and we get screwed when we play by the rules like with Al Franken!  Well turnabout is fair play!”   

To be honest, I just don’t care about a Joy Reid message board scandal coverup.  It’s like going after Billy Bush for his comments with Trump.  

I am guilty of showing some both sides trump logic justification for tolerating bad behavior but I’ve always been that way.  I didn’t give a shit about Bill Clinton’s sex scandals and I don’t care about Trump’s whores as long as it doesn’t break the law or interfere with his job.

The main thing that matters to me is can they perform their job well and move the country forward? 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

8 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

And yet, you posted again about it.

He's right though. Joy Reid either said these things, or she didn't. Her statement now makes it look like she is lying. Al Franken stepping down hurt the Dems, Joy Reid doesn't budge the needle. I'd rather see MSNBC practice proper journalistic integrity and fire her to keep what credibility they have.

The complete lack of journalist integrity on the right should have zero bearing on the expectations we have for the rest of the media. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Nope, I am not.

So please spare me with your hypocrisy bullshit.

Why is it manufactured for people to think that Reid writing those mocking posts and then attempting to blame them on hackers is pretty shitty?

1 minute ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Why is it manufactured for people to think that Reid writing those mocking posts and then attempting to blame them on hackers is pretty shitty?

I think we just want those people who think it's shitty (which it is) to be consistent in labeling something shitty. Because Fox News is loaded with shitty and a lot of folks on the right don't say a thing.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

How did the posts surface? Why is there a coordinated troll/bot army operation pushing this shit on Twitter? 

It’s Hillary’s emails all over again.  

What does it matter how this stuff surfaced. What’s important is the damaging content.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

16 minutes ago, Pods said:

He's right though. Joy Reid either said these things, or she didn't. Her statement now makes it look like she is lying. Al Franken stepping down hurt the Dems, Joy Reid doesn't budge the needle. I'd rather see MSNBC practice proper journalistic integrity and fire her to keep what credibility they have.

The complete lack of journalist integrity on the right should have zero bearing on the expectations we have for the rest of the media. 

I wasn't disagreeing with him.  Just don't know what it has to do with the correspondents' dinner.  Did she speak there?

5 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I think we just want those people who think it's shitty (which it is) to be consistent in labeling something shitty. Because Fox News is loaded with shitty and a lot of folks on the right don't say a thing.

That's fair, but we're not going to get anywhere by hoping for the worst of the deplorables to start thinking critically about their views.  The best we can do is to present a worthy alternative. 

2 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

This Joy Reid scandal is just another battle in the political warfare being conducted in the media and politics.  It was a character assassination from the very beginning.  Yeah, yeah, yeah she may have handled this very poorly but this is warfare.

Journalists and politicians are being targeted with the goal of taking them out of the arena.  Maddow was targeted last year with fraudulent classified documents.  

Get used to these type deals where you’re expected to call for their heads because “it’s the right thing to do.”

It's a good thing you have been all over Obama's goons at the DOJ for hacking into Cheryl Atkinson's computer and getting all but hurt and supoenaing John whathisname from Fox when he refused to give up his source otherwise I'd be forced to consider your ranting as nothing more than selective outrage.

21 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Besides, Trump is unpopular, and some of the Democrats who are winning are winning because they’re more decent than their opponents (see Doug Jones). 

I agree. Democrats need to run more candidates against child molesters. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

How did the posts surface? Why is there a coordinated troll/bot army operation pushing this shit on Twitter? 

It’s Hillary’s emails all over again.  

What does it matter how this stuff surfaced. What’s important is the damaging content.

Your post is confusing. You ask how did the posts surface. Then you say it doesn't matter that they were revealed.

Is the content of the posts important? Or is it how they were revealed? I don't do Twitter so I do not know of the troll/bot army of which you speak. 

6 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

I doubt there would be a boycott of anyone at FoxNews for lying about decade-old comments.  If she reaffirmed them in the present, sure.  But not for this. 

Decade old homophobic comments?  Are you kidding me?  As it is I wonder what MSNBC's reaction would be if she was white instead of African-American.  I imagine the board room at MSNBC was as enthusiastic about the thought of dealing with this situation as a cop is about taking a domestic disturbance call.

7 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

Decade old homophobic comments?  Are you kidding me?  As it is I wonder what MSNBC's reaction would be if she was white instead of African-American.  I imagine the board room at MSNBC was as enthusiastic about the thought of dealing with this situation as a cop is about taking a domestic disturbance call.

She was outed as a past social conservative and a liar.  The only thing that would stand out at FoxNews would be her present disavowal of those homophobic comments.