2021 Body Transformation Thread

troph

Been working out pretty steady 4 times a week at my office gym the last 2 months and have definitely regained some muscle definition and increased the weight of my reps significantly, but man, age finally seems to have caught up to my metabolism. Have hardly lost any weight. Any progress I make Monday-Thursday gets wiped out by Sunday. Gotta be way better about what I eat and drink.

My neighborhood gym is supposed to finally re-open next weekend so I'm looking forward to being able to work out in the mornings and not have to worry if a client lunch or something pops up. Also, when the weather finally cools down I can get back to weekend bike rides/dog walks and not just turding out and drinking beers in the pool.

Edited by Storm the Field
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Been working out pretty steady 4 times a week at my office gym the last 2 months and have definitely regained some muscle definition and increased the weight of my reps significantly, but man, age finally seems to have caught up to my metabolism. Have hardly lost any weight. Any progress I make Monday-Thursday gets wiped out by Sunday. Gotta be way better about what I eat and drink.

My neighborhood gym is supposed to finally re-open next weekend so I'm looking forward to being able to work out in the mornings and not have to worry if a client lunch or something pops up. Also, when the weather finally cools down I can get back to weekend bike rides/dog walks and not just turding out and drinking beers in the pool.

Bolded.  I found a solution ;)

• Haha 1

Yeah, I think I was pretty clear in identifying the issue. Just sucks that a switch seems to have flipped. At <35, I could drop and maintain a good weight as long as I kept to a steady exercise schedule and ate healthy-ish during the week. Didn't really matter what I did on weekends. Now at 37, no such luck. 

Edited by Storm the Field

2 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

s. Drink slower, start drinking a couple hours later, etc. 

On a website full of bad advice, this might be one of the worst ideas I've ever seen. Also, I would expect someone with your handle to be a proponent of absolute tomfoolery and fuckery, not of moderation and common sense. For shame!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I was gaining a lot of muscle definition and increasing weight amounts at the gym for a couple of months.  Then my elbow started hurting and hasn't stopped hurting for 2 months.  It's a dull pain when I use it too much.  I'm pretty positive that it's tennis elbow.  It sucks not being able to get rid of it.

4 hours ago, txhorns said:

I was gaining a lot of muscle definition and increasing weight amounts at the gym for a couple of months.  Then my elbow started hurting and hasn't stopped hurting for 2 months.  It's a dull pain when I use it too much.  I'm pretty positive that it's tennis elbow.  It sucks not being able to get rid of it.

Fap less.

16 hours ago, txhorns said:

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/5/2021 at 11:22 AM, Bernard said:

Down another 10 pounds since above post. Down 65 lbs. since mid-April.

Went from the loosest hole in my belt to the tightest. Then yesterday I had to poke a new hole.

Currently 235 lbs. three pounds over my last yo-yo trough in 2018. When I break that barrier I'm headed into territory (223 trough) I haven't visited since very early 2000's. 

Bernard

Last day of the off season. Down another 10 pounds since above post. 75 pounds lost since mid-April. Currently 225 pounds, which is 15 pounds over the max normal BMI for my 6'5" self. Ultimately, I'd like to see 199. Was 208 when I walked on UT campus in 1987.

After losing 92 pounds in the 2018 off season, the Yo-Yo gained back 47 pounds between Labor Day and New Years. I travel and party a lot during the football season. 2021 football season goal in stay at 225.

Bernard

• Hook 'Em 5

• 1 month later...

I’m doing well. Consistently lifting 5 days a week. I’ve added in morning walks three days a week and I coach kids soccer twice a week, so I’m getting that outside cardio in.

I’m losing inches, but not so much weight. I’m good with that. I also quit drinking until F1 (going on week 3). I’ve seen a massive difference in energy on the weekends from just that alone.

Anyway, keep fighting the good fight.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/16/2021 at 11:34 PM, UT_OB1 said:

Any of you have foot pain problems?  I can’t seem to get over it completely ever.  Sometimes just annoying, sometimes rally bad. Dr at one point said I had plantar fasciitis (both feet), did pt for a while.  It seemed to help some, but pain didn’t go away completely. Feet are just in pain from waking up, I get a full pain if I’m on my feet to much, and frequently fast sprint/cut like movements cause a sharp burning pain right in the middle bottom of my feet. Walking barefoot in the sand is even painful unless the sand is very soft. 

Gets depressing. Takes away a lot of the things I want to do for myself and with the kids. Anyone had any luck fixing their foot problems?

I have had plantar fasciitis for a couple years now, although it's mostly gone at this point.  Buy a lacrosse ball and roll your feet on it regularly.  Also, never walk around the house bare footed.  Always wear shoes or flip flops.  Get shoes that support your arches.

• Hook 'Em 1

I switched up my diet and am going the low-fat, semi-body building diet of protein + carbs and low fats (40% protein, 35% carbs, 25% fat) and lost 7 pounds in a month.  Down to 181.  I also started tracking calories and weighing food.  Needless to say I need to eat more.  On most days, I'm getting around 200g of protein (might be a tad high) and around 60g of fat (sweet spot).  I might need to up the carb intake honestly.

On 10/7/2021 at 8:44 AM, txhorns said:

Tennis elbow has kept me from lifting for at least 3 months now.  It's a pain in the ass, especially with it being pretty mild but me not wanting it to get bad.

I feel your pain.  I had climber's (aka golfer's elbow) elbow in both arms, but successfully rehabbed my right with an online upper limb control course.  Not so lucky on the left...currently seeing a physical therapists for that one.  Just started climbing again, but ridiculously easy routes which are taxing that left elbow plenty with the extra weight I have put on since my injury.

FWIW, Dry needling has helped kick the healing into a much faster mode.  go slow.

• 2 weeks later...

So....I hit 55 a few weeks ago.  Have been in "good shape" most of my adult life, including presently.  6' 03" (edit...OK....6'02") and bounce between 190-195. 

Up until a couple of years ago, that range was 185-190. 

After successive weekends like Birthday/OU/Home Game....the pounds start to exceed the "normal max" and at this age, are harder to shed.

Long story short.....(too late).....In steps the wife (similar story) with the 5-day Prolon Fast Mimicking Diet Plan.  

https://prolonfmd.com/

Now....we exercise  and eat extremely healthy on weekdays and nights, and eat "fun" on the weekends.  We (I especially) drink WAAAAAAY too much wine and whiskey on weeknights.  So this "diet" is more of a "reset/reboot" than a diet.....and I am not selling or officially promoting it....but damn it if doesn't work.

This past Monday I checked in at a doughy (for me) 194...we've followed the program all week, and it ends Friday night.  I checked in at 187 this morning, and feel great.

Just passing this along....surely could be considered a "gimmick" and it isn't cheap....but it does work (for me/us anyway).

Edited by MirrOlure

12 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

You lost maybe a half pound of fat and 7 pounds of water. You don’t burn fat in one week. 

This.  I am not saying it is not possible but you would have needed to have been significantly more overweight than you are/were in order to get most of that in fat loss in one week.

In fact, this summer I had about a 3 week period where I lost about .5 LB/day and I am almost your same weight, although only 5'-11", but that was pretty hard core with no Alcohol, OMAD (a big ass salad), and a one hour walk every day (no other exercise other than PT due to injury rehab).

Stay with it, 2/lbs per week would be sweet and you.  When the weight loss really slows down, add some walking, something about the pace and lack of stress really helps more than more aggressive work outs.

1 hour ago, Herbie Hancock said:
You lost maybe a half pound of fat and 7 pounds of water. You don’t burn fat in one week. 

Yep....As mentioned, this isn’t a “solution” but I find it to be a very excellent kick-start.

For me, anyway, losing that feeling of an "extra layer" helps me with settling back into a responsible routine for the upcoming weeks.

Just passing it along

Edited by MirrOlure

• 1 month later...
On 10/7/2021 at 8:44 AM, txhorns said:

Tennis elbow has kept me from lifting for at least 3 months now.  It's a pain in the ass, especially with it being pretty mild but me not wanting it to get bad.

Things get better? I had a bad case of tennis elbow a few years ago. Like most of my injuries it was due to over extending myself working out. If someone challenges you to "how many push ups can you do in an hour?" Don't try and find out.

Ended up killing my upper body lifting for a couple of months.  Never messed with pushups since that incident.

22 minutes ago, F250 said:

Things get better? I had a bad case of tennis elbow a few years ago. Like most of my injuries it was due to over extending myself working out. If someone challenges you to "how many push ups can you do in an hour?" Don't try and find out.

Ended up killing my upper body lifting for a couple of months.  Never messed with pushups since that incident.

I no longer feel it in my day to day activities but if I try to lift I can feel it.  So still no gym for me.  Just doing cardio in the form of running and biking right now.  Have gone from 195 pounds to 171 since June of this year.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, F250 said:

Good to hear you no longer feel it in your daily activities. I remember it hurting with just basic movements like extending my arm. Not fun at all.

Thankfully it never hurt during daily activities but I could definitely feel something was off.  It only really ever hurt while working out or carrying heavy things.  I caught it early and made sure not to make it worse.

I’m 58, 5’10”. Since July 18, I am down 46#, from 226# to 180#. Doing it on Weight Watchers phone app (no meetings; the last thing anyone needs now is for a bunch of fatties to get in a room together). I looked into SOTA, but that runs about $250 per week and WW is about $11 per week. 

Not a painful diet. For exercise, I run (my Turkey Trot time was 26:40) and to keep muscle, I have two 20# dumbbells in my home office. My goal is to get into low 170s, so my BMI isn’t “overweight”. I eat about two bags of baby carrots each week. 

Edited by statsman
  • Hook 'Em 4

one I’m disappointed that like seven tennis elbow posts went by without a comment. Folks are losing their step. 

Two I’m glad to see folks hanging in there and making progress. I go up/down 5-10lbs but am in the range I’m ok with. 

If i quit drinking I’d be ripped. 

9 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

If i quit drinking I’d be ripped. 

I haven't done this in a while, but I used to do a dry January to give my body a break after abusing it from Thanksgiving to New Years.  By the end of the month, eliminating all alcohol, along with working out, would get me pretty ripped.  I can't do that more than a month, though.  I like beer and wine too much.

Doing a 30 day challenge, which starts today. Signed up to stay on track through the holidays. I’m currently 226 and looking to get down around 216.

Been lifting a while now, but continue to fail on the diet side. Figured paying for a diet plan would get me to stick to it.

41 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

Doing a 30 day challenge, which starts today. Signed up to stay on track through the holidays. I’m currently 226 and looking to get down around 216.

Been lifting a while now, but continue to fail on the diet side. Figured paying for a diet plan would get me to stick to it.

What's your program?

I’ve been following Muscle Anarchy by Dave Lipson (ThundrBro). I love the lifting. It’s functional body building. Lower weight, tempo lifting that’s been easier on my joints and body. I’ve also gotten much stronger over the last year following his program. I just can’t kick the back fat and mid section, so I joined their 30 day shred.

Booze is gone. Really, I don’t drink much at all because the hangovers have become brutal off of almost no booze. Two glasses of whiskey (4oz) and I’m sick the next day. That said - no booze for 30 days.

40% Protein, 30% fat, 30% carbs to start. It may adjust after week one. Aiming for 2000 calories.

Even after the thanksgiving binge, I’m still at 180 and training hard. Still doing a self made PPL program. I’m wondering if I should go even higher on the calories to gain a few pounds. Got another 5k coming up in Galveston on the 18th. Have serious doubts I’ll be beating the 25:50 I had on thanksgiving but we’ll see. Good job to all.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

About lowering your 5k time- I don’t know how hard or focused your training is, but if it’s just going for a run now and then, this could help-

- interval training and sprints, to lengthen your stride

-weight training squats will also allow you to lengthen your stride and increase your pace, even over a 5k distance

- a GPS watch or a running app for your phone (I use the free “Runkeeper”) will allow you to monitor your pace (you race faster if you don’t go too fast at first, and mind your pace so that your fastest mile is your last mile)

- make sure you really warm up enough before the race (minimum half a mile jog, preferably more)

On 12/14/2021 at 2:20 PM, statsman said:

About lowering your 5k time- I don’t know how hard or focused your training is, but if it’s just going for a run now and then, this could help-

- interval training and sprints, to lengthen your stride

-weight training squats will also allow you to lengthen your stride and increase your pace, even over a 5k distance

- a GPS watch or a running app for your phone (I use the free “Runkeeper”) will allow you to monitor your pace (you race faster if you don’t go too fast at first, and mind your pace so that your fastest mile is your last mile)

- make sure you really warm up enough before the race (minimum half a mile jog, preferably more)

Thanks for the advice.  Not DYING to get my time as low as possible but I'll take these into account.  The only thing I don't really do is the interval training and sprints.  I've stopped squatting so heavy at the gym (mainly just train volume for now).  I use runkeeper and religiously do so already.  I stretch probably 30 minutes or so prior to races!  I may try a warm up jog for Sunday though.  Thanks again!

In the process of shopping for a prowler sled. Anyone use one for your workouts?

For the record I’m not a Rogue fanboy. I think they’re assholes and charge 15-20% more just for the name on the equipment. That being said, the Rogue dog sled is my #1 sled due to all of the attachments/options it come with.

https://www.roguefitness.com/dog-sled

If you don’t need that kind of versatility and just want a basic sled I would go with Titan

https://www.titan.fitness/endurance/cardio/sleds/pro-sled-core-unit/401374.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=&scid=scplp401374&sc_intid=401374&utm_content=pla+brand&gclid=Cj0KCQiAnuGNBhCPARIsACbnLzqz42lxvfQZuknDG8WuIA8k7CeRPgWbSD6PgZzaHMB8SuG_TgCl2E4aAlNEEALw_wcB
  • Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

For the record I’m not a Rogue fanboy. I think they’re assholes and charge 15-20% more just for the name on the equipment. That being said, the Rogue dog sled is my #1 sled due to all of the attachments/options it come with.

https://www.roguefitness.com/dog-sled

If you don’t need that kind of versatility and just want a basic sled I would go with Titan

https://www.titan.fitness/endurance/cardio/sleds/pro-sled-core-unit/401374.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=&scid=scplp401374&sc_intid=401374&utm_content=pla+brand&gclid=Cj0KCQiAnuGNBhCPARIsACbnLzqz42lxvfQZuknDG8WuIA8k7CeRPgWbSD6PgZzaHMB8SuG_TgCl2E4aAlNEEALw_wcB

Thanks. I've been looking at the Rogue sleds. How much does the quality build look between the two? I'll be using this outside on the ground.

Thanks. I've been looking at the Rogue sleds. How much does the quality build look between the two? I'll be using this outside on the ground.

Rogue is fine. This is my Echo that is several years old and gets used almost every day, sometimes by idiots that purposely try to break shit and other than surface scratches it’s still tip top. Skids are still immaculate as well

7913065984d68b16279cd5f83d816fb2.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1

Anyone ever dealt with heel pain? It has gotten worse over the past 3 days. Last week I was in Alaska doing some hiking, tubing, and sledding in a shit ton of snow. Came home Saturday night,  mostly relaxed but played basketball Monday afternoon and now I am in a decent amount of pain. Every step hurts moderately under my right heel and along the back of it. That is the only place though. GF has been looking up plantar fasciitis stuff but I have never dealt with it so not sure what the hell it is but probably gonna hit the doc next week if it doesn't get better. 

Yeah, plantar fasciitis is closely related to tight calves.  Stretching helps a lot.

Another thing that works, a bit at cross purposes, is to freeze a water bottle and roll your foot over it.  The rolling stretches, the cold helps with any pain.

Also, a key thing for me:  don't sleep with your toes "pointed."  Try to keep your feet at right angles to your shins, more or less.  This keeps calves from shortening overnight.  They actually make splints if you can't do this on your own.

• Hook 'Em 1

In bed after knee surgery yesterday. Thought it was meniscus tear, but turns out it was a congenital plica issue. That makes me feel a little better that I didn’t injure myself - I couldn’t figure out anything related to why it might be hurting. 

Started the year with a partial pec tear (and still can feel it and afraid to push it), ending it with knee surgery. Has been a shitty year for my insurance and my physical health. Only 39 but feel like I’m falling apart.