The Suicide Squad

BigDHornfan

Movie was fun, entertaining and long. 

What I think kept it from being great, was it felt like two movies crammed together. The Squad and the Harley movie. I thought Harleys character was the best version of her so far, the gun shot to the heart, and the escape were incredible, but if you removed her story line from the movie nothing would change except for the run time. 

The opening scene was a perfect example of this, Harley shows up with the C squad which gives them validity to the audience for the gag. Feels the same for her character and the movie. 

Maybe they weren’t confident in the core characters to pull off the movie, but it worked. The characters were great, chemistry good etc. 

Overall still a fun change of pace and very re-watchable. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Watched it last night. It was good even if it was a bit of a repeat of the first film. It did all of it a lot better and cut out all the fat that the terrible first movie couldn't. Gunn's humor is so good at times and terrible and over the top at others. I do enjoy a sensible way to drop Starro into the DC Universe.  I'd watch more Harley Quinn. 

Edited by mdmost

Just finished it.  Excellent six pack on the couch with leftovers movie. It wasn’t perfect, and I agree the Harley smash up with Suicide Squad critic from a plot perspective.  I wish they could have nipped and tucked 15 minutes out of it, but I have that complaint about almost every movie. 

First live action movie they got Harley right. 

Having said that, any movie that has me loling with graphic violence, and manages to pack a Decemberist tune with Jim Carroll Band is going to get two thumbs up from me.  Will absolutely watch it again when I stumble into half way through on HBO some night. King Shark killed it.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

13 year old and I laughed our asses off at it last night at Alamo.  Superhero/Comic book shit is meant for kids.  I can't understand an adult going into one of these movies and expecting solid acting and a thoughtful screenplay.  It's a kids movie with extra violence and guts with a little adult humor thrown in.  It was stupid, gory, over-the-top, and had some solid one-liners in it.  And the fucking weasel...  I don't see how you can expect more than that.  Some of you take your comic books too seriously.

• Hook 'Em 4

Just caught this on a plane. What a weird movie, but as many have mentioned, the first was so horrible and Will Smith such a joke, that this could have done nothing different and still been better just by having a 50 year old Idris Elba.

I think what confuses me is how Harley Quinn is a metahuman. She seems like she would be no different than Milton, I thought she was just a really smart psychiatrist who went crazy and got her mind all screwed up by Mr. J and that was her notoriety and claim to fame. I get that DC desperately needs to build a franchise around an anchor who will draw the male eyeballs in, so maybe it's just as simple as that.

• 4 months later...

Saw both suicide squads over the last two days. Saw the second one first. Enjoyed it. Regret seeing the first one. I only finished it cuz I forgot the fallacy of sunk cost. That movie was terribad. 

An ensemble cast of anti-heroes cant work without juvenile humor. This is film school 101. 

Now I am wondering if I should see Harley Quinn. Probably not worth it. But probably still better than Matrix 4. And I have a lot of time to kill over the next 8 days.