The Suicide Squad

BigDHornfan

Spoilers for future SS stuff.
Spoiler

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peacemaker_(TV_series)
Peacemaker is an upcoming American television series created by James Gunn for the streaming service HBO Max, based on the DC Comicscharacter Peacemaker. It is a spin-off from the film The Suicide Squad (2021) and is set in the DC Extended Universe (DCEU), the first series to do so. The series is produced by DC Films, The Safran Company, Troll Court Entertainment, and Warner Bros. Television, with Gunn serving as showrunner.
John Cena stars as the title character, reprising his role from The Suicide Squad. Steve Agee, Danielle Brooks, Robert Patrick, Jennifer Holland, Freddie Stroma, and Chukwudi Iwuji also star. Gunn wrote all eight episodes of the series while he was completing work on The Suicide Squad during the COVID-19 pandemic. HBO Max ordered Peacemaker straight-to-series in September 2020. Filming took place in Vancouver, Canada from January to July 2021, with Gunn directing five of the episodes.
Peacemaker is scheduled to premiere in January 2022, and will consist of eight episodes.

No thanks. Talk about a discount store version of US Patriot. He was lame AF and Cena’s acting is worse than Schwarzenegger but without the charisma and presence.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mackavelli said:

this move was awesome.   don't listen to these olds

Spoiler

If Polka Dot man and Flag had survived, and if Waller had been handled differently, I might have a different viewpoint.

Like I said, felt like Gunn was blowing off steam and just trying to shock people.  With a few tweaks, they could have a really interesting franchise moving forward. The Dirty Dozen was a good movie and a great idea after all.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/5/2021 at 10:27 PM, Js1 said:

Yeah it was average. Glad I watched it on HBO max instead of going to the movies 

On 8/5/2021 at 10:18 PM, CooterBrown said:

This is not good. More slow mo than a Zach Snyder wet dream.

I think they wrote the script in a hour. There’s nothing here other than some pretty lackluster action scenes.

It felt like it should have been a TV episode.

On 8/5/2021 at 10:41 PM, atomheartbevo said:

I really don't get it.  The ingredients were mostly there - director, cast.

Felt like Gunn was just letting off some steam and doing stuff he couldn't do in Guardians.

Just don't get it.

Same.  I really though I'd be the minority on here not singing it's praises.  It was good, definitely some funny scenes, but I'm really glad I watched it at home and not the theatre(some of you know how much of a fan of the movie experience I am).

I really don't get why this is getting such great reviews and praise, when I'll be honest, as flawed as the last one was, it was a little bit more entertaining.

On 8/6/2021 at 8:37 PM, Neonmoon said:

I thought it was hilarious 

There were definitely some funny parts

Spoiler

When Bloodsport and Peacemaker were going through the rebel village killing everyone while trying to 1 up each other, only to find out they weren't the bad guys, that was funny(especially their faces at the end

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Drew said:

Same.  I really though I'd be the minority on here not singing it's praises.  It was good, definitely some funny scenes, but I'm really glad I watched it at home and not the theatre(some of you know how much of a fan of the movie experience I am).

I really don't get why this is getting such great reviews and praise, when I'll be honest, as flawed as the last one was, it was a little bit more entertaining.

It's getting great reviews because Warner/DC set the bar so low.

There were some really funny parts, but I felt like overall they threw away some future potential when

Spoiler

They killed Flag and Polka Dot.  I was enjoying Polka Dot and thought he would make a great addition for future movies, and Flag and HQ provided continuity, something DC desperately needs.  I get the whole Suicide Squad thing too, but you gotta have some continuity.  And Waller should have been sacked.

Also, for a movie that is tied into the DCEU, they sure don't act like it.

• Hook 'Em 1

I really had no desire to watch it, but on a whim, started playing it last night around midnight, saw early on I really didn’t need to know backstory, and was having a helluva good time with the cartoonish violence and humor. I laughed out loud on multiple occasions, and ended up having a damned fun experience. Two big thumbs up. And the “Thinker” killed me with his response about having rodents up his ass. Plus, one big bonus was (spoilered for those who haven’t seen it):

Spoiler

Seeing Pete Davidson get his face blown off in the first 10 minutes. That was fun to see.

• Haha 4

I really enjoyed the movie, but I also was expecting it to be as good as your average DC film. It exceeded that (low) bar, and I thought the action and pacing and structure was muuuuuch better than the first SS or the Harley movie. 

Spoiler

Hard agree with the death of Flag and Polka Dot dude, they were deep and well-realized characters that the writers should have hung on to. 

As a tangent - I've been watching the Harley animated show on HBOmax and it's funny to see such different interpretations of King Shark side by side. The Harley show is basically an adult and bad-guy version of the 90s/00's Batman animated series, been enjoying so far and nearly at the end of S1

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Deej said:

I don't go into every movie expecting it to be a disappointing Scorsese flick

Right, I don't go into every superhero movie expecting something that's gonna win Best Picture.

DC just doesn't often hit the mark for me.  The characters aren't that compelling, the story isn't great and the humor isn't natural.   I liked Wonder Woman (the first one) and Birds of Prey.   

I was more than happy to watch this at home via HBO Max.  

Edited by Js1

8 hours ago, Captainant said:

I really enjoyed the movie, but I also was expecting it to be as good as your average DC film. It exceeded that (low) bar, and I thought the action and pacing and structure was muuuuuch better than the first SS or the Harley movie. 

Reveal hidden contents

Hard agree with the death of Flag and Polka Dot dude, they were deep and well-realized characters that the writers should have hung on to. 

As a tangent - I've been watching the Harley animated show on HBOmax and it's funny to see such different interpretations of King Shark side by side. The Harley show is basically an adult and bad-guy version of the 90s/00's Batman animated series, been enjoying so far and nearly at the end of S1

The Harleyquinn show is the best DC TV Adaption going right now, bar none.

I liked it.  I don't get the hate.  I've never read a comic so I have no idea if they basterdized the characters.  I also feel like I am taking crazy pills with the love Marvel gets.  Not that any of their movies are awful, they are just boring and paint by numbers to me.  Aside from 2 or 3 of them you've seen one you've seen them all.  Unless the movie is going over the top violent or getting some good adult humor I'm pretty much out on superhero films.  I'd rewatch this before I sit through Black Widow, but I don't plan on doing either.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 8/1/2021 at 1:18 PM, RPM said:

Harley Quinn is one of the best subcharacters in the DC universe. Margot Robbie is the perfect actress for that role. She could do a stand alone spinoff series (kinda is already). They need to roll her into the next Batfilm.

Harley (or at least Robbie's portrayal) is the best character in DC IMO.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I enjoyed the movie a great deal.   Infinitely better than the first one.   Thought most of the characters were good and I hate a few were killed off (mostly Flag but then its a superhero movie so he may not actually be dead).   Plenty of funny scene and, satisfying action 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, Drew said:

The Harleyquinn show is the best DC TV Adaption going right now, bar none.

On 8/9/2021 at 8:09 AM, Captainant said:

I'll third this. So many laugh out loud moments

Batman: "Why are you protecting a psychotic clown who treats you like garbage?'

Harley: "Asks the guy who fucks bats."

Gordon: You're going to be put away for life in Arkham Asylum.

Harley laughs

Gordon: why are you laughing?

Harley: "Cuz you said 'for life.' And as sure as I am that he fucks bats, I know my man will break me out of Arkham before I spend a single night."

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/6/2021 at 11:02 AM, Parliament said:

It's a movie made by a pervert, aimed at 40 year old little boys, raised by men who were crappy parents.  

Interesting comment. So, as y'all know, MFC Danger Girl still gives me a call every couple of weeks or so. A long time ago, she told me she once went on a date with James Gunn when he was in Austin for a film festival. I have no idea how they know each other, but she's very "active" on the internet and I absolutely believe her.

Anyway, knowing this, I mentioned a couple of days ago I watched the latest Suicide Squad and thought it was a little meh and somehow felt flat to me. She told me that it doesn't surprise her because she thinks that he's having trouble adjusting to the new Hollywood climate and is trying to avoid being perceived as being too sexually exploitive which is affecting his writing.