Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard

shadow_operative

48 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

based on what i've seen so far, i don't see chemistry being an especially big issue. i think that Ramey and Jones will be the team leaders from day one, so no real questions there. after that, sure, some guys are going to have smaller roles and maybe fewer shots than they used to, but as long as you're winning, it isn't exceptionally hard to get 13 young basketball players to all get along and stay positive. programs that win big don't have ego issues, because they get their guys to buy in. ego issues affecting team chemistry is more a thing in the pros, and when it does happen in college, 9/10 it's because you have one single guy who is good enough to deserve 30 mpg but who suffers from Russell Westbrook Syndrome. 

i think the much bigger potential  issue will be that the guys are all learning how to play together on the fly, and only have the one season with which to do it. on-court jelling takes time, and it takes game reps. you want everyone on the court to not only know his own role, but to know the strengths and weaknesses of his teammates, where they like to receive the ball, which situations they thrive or struggle in, etc. hopefully what takes place in practice translates to the games (this is not always the case), because that's about all we can hope for in terms of speeding up the on-court chemistry process. getting all the talent to become a well oiled machine by March will be the bigger hurdle to overcome. i

*gelling 

• Haha 1

Guest Lobo

Katz moving us up to 3?  Does he know something about Carr we don't know yet?  

I would like to see a gelling of preseason polls jell into something more concrete as the players gel into a jelling of Longhorn domination.  

i compared him a little bit to J'Covan before, and a big part of that is that JB was a chucker who really had it in him to be a plus distributor and a play maker. so i agree with Matt- surround Carr with talented guys who can score, and rein him in some in terms of shot volume and selection, and he can definitely be a good PG who sets the table for his teammates.

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i compared him a little bit to J'Covan before, and a big part of that is that JB was a chucker who really had it in him to be a plus distributor and a play maker. so i agree with Matt- surround Carr with talented guys who can score, and rein him in some in terms of shot volume and selection, and he can definitely be a good PG who sets the table for his teammates.

Given the roster we have next year already, a JCB scoring talent with just enough Beard discipline would be a good addition…

On 7/8/2021 at 2:49 PM, shadow_operative said:

based on what i've seen so far, i don't see chemistry being an especially big issue. i think that Ramey and Jones will be the team leaders from day one, so no real questions there. after that, sure, some guys are going to have smaller roles and maybe fewer shots than they used to, but as long as you're winning, it isn't exceptionally hard to get 13 young basketball players to all get along and stay positive. programs that win big don't have ego issues, because they get their guys to buy in. ego issues affecting team chemistry is more a thing in the pros, and when it does happen in college, 9/10 it's because you have one single guy who is good enough to deserve 30 mpg but who suffers from Russell Westbrook Syndrome. 

i think the much bigger potential  issue will be that the guys are all learning how to play together on the fly, and only have the one season with which to do it. on-court jelling takes time, and it takes game reps. you want everyone on the court to not only know his own role, but to know the strengths and weaknesses of his teammates, where they like to receive the ball, which situations they thrive or struggle in, etc. hopefully what takes place in practice translates to the games (this is not always the case), because that's about all we can hope for in terms of speeding up the on-court chemistry process. getting all the talent to become a well oiled machine by March will be the bigger hurdle to overcome. i

USA vs Nigeria speaks directly to this point. The Nigerian team has been together longer, and have been actually physically together for nearly three weeks now learning how to run Mike Brown's system, and getting to know each other's strengths, weaknesses, preferences, etc, on the court. Nigeria looked like a well oiled machines while the supremely talented USA guys kept playing ISO ball and taking terrible shots because they don't know each other yet. on-court chemistry is incredibly important, and that's the area where i foresee this team having the most growing pains. i'm very happy that we'll have a full offseason/preseason/pre-conference schedule this year. that's hugely important for this team. 

Earliest possible date for any games, on campus, or at early season tourney sites is 9 November.  Meaning we could certainly play Tuesday or Wednesday night that week before heading off to Washington State.  Which I'm assuming we'd want to do for chemistry purposes.  I would assume some local, directional school which is perfectly acceptable for first tip.  So that makes 7 of our 13 games (5 home, 2 away) accounted for.  3 more home and 3 more away/neutral.  

Is it just me or is anyone else more excited about the upcoming Basketball season than Football? Beard had a couple of amazing seasons at Tech and had better overall results with less talent than Shaka. The roster for the 21-22 season is stacked, it'll be one of the funnest Texas teams to watch and one can argue Beard's first roster will be better than the 07-08 team that reached the Elite 8.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Chad said:

Is it just me or is anyone else more excited about the upcoming Basketball season than Football? Beard had a couple of amazing seasons at Tech and had better overall results with less talent than Shaka. The roster for the 21-22 season is stacked, it'll be one of the funnest Texas teams to watch and one can argue Beard's first roster will be better than the 07-08 team that reached the Elite 8.

One of the mods on IT stated he believes Texas will in a NC in basketball or baseball before football, so I get what you’re saying here.  It almost feels like Beard had a plan in his back pocket if he ever got the UT job because he knows how much of an advantage UT has (and in my opinion never really used).  Year #1 just might be the beginning of something crazy special with Texas basketball.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Definitely more excited about the state of the basketball program than the football program.   I think Beard really is a top 5 coach, he’s going to have a top 5 team in the country this year (when we might have been bottom 2 in the conference with Shaka), and he’s already demonstrated that he will recruit at a truly elite level at Texas.  
We have a new arena, Duke and UNC are both replacing legendary coaches with unproven JAGs, the state of Texas has become a hotspot for basketball talent, the best player in the NBA is a Texas guy and we have plenty of other recent NBA players, and other schools in the state are taking the sport seriously and going to Final Fours and winning the national championship.  
Everything is setting up for us to flip the switch and potentially become one of the very top basketball programs in the country.   It’s the most exciting time since Mack started pulling number 1 recruiting classes out of nowhere when we had been an afterthought for 15 years.

With any luck, he has the grail already.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Pancho said:

One of the mods on IT stated he believes Texas will in a NC in basketball or baseball before football, so I get what you’re saying here. 

They are really going out on a limb there, given that we came pretty darn close to winning an NC in baseball this year.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/8/2021 at 10:08 PM, Revolution512 said:

I disagree, Brown didn’t force a lot of bad shots unless it’s all we had. He’s no Ramey or Jones taking a 3 from half court early in the clock or driving into shitty situations to have a layup thrown into row 6. To me a chucker doesn’t give a fuck

One thing JCB was really smart about - when the shot clock was winding down and he didn’t have shit, his natural tendency was to drive hard to the hole rather than shoot a contested fadeaway three. He went to the line a lot for a dude with a decent outside shot…

• Like 2

On 7/8/2021 at 9:08 PM, Revolution512 said:

I disagree, Brown didn’t force a lot of bad shots unless it’s all we had. He’s no Ramey or Jones taking a 3 from half court early in the clock or driving into shitty situations to have a layup thrown into row 6. To me a chucker doesn’t give a fuck

his freshman year he shot .288 from deep yet he still attempted four 3PA per game in only 21.7 mpg. his per 40 averages from his freshman year are basically the definition of a chucker:

5.5-15.5 FGA, .354%; 2.1-7.4 3PA, .288%. he showed up to campus as a chucker.

It’s too easy……

Barnes had made comments during the season about the strides made by Hamilton as a person and as a teammate following a freshman season that often saw selfish play from the California native. However, Barnes couched those words at the time by emphasizing Hamilton's improved maturity, a maturity that showed on the basketball court with better shot selection and consistently better body language.

For his part, Hamilton apologized to his teammates following his freshman season and went back and looked at every poor shot he took that year in an effort to improve his decision-making on the court. And he did.

lol, look at you all eager to argue and "win the fight" because you're mad that J'Covan was always a chucker and you said otherwise.  Hamilton taking stupid shots changes nothing about the fact that Rick Barnes publicly and repeatedly challenged Hamilton to be a better defender, and explicitly said that he was taking his minutes away because of it.

frankly, i have zero interest in getting into some internet slap fight about a team from 12 years ago because you're too enamored with J'Covan Brown to realize that he was a chucker from day one, a fact that's as obvious as saying that Kevin Durant was a scorer, or that AJ Abrams was a good shooter. but uh, have fun with your e-fight. i'm out. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 2

C'mon Carr, we're so much cooler than Australia.  

Maybe, not sure, I dunno.  Just c'mon to Texas.  Listen to your Shampoo Spiritual Adviser.  

14 minutes ago, Old Freak Nasty said:

Carr seems to really want to be a pro.  I'd be a little surprised if he didn't go to Australia with our guard/wing depth but one thing we are learning about Beard pretty quickly is he's a guy who makes it damn hard to say no to.

Lol, we don't have anyone nearly as good as Carr at PG.

Nobody on this roster is scaring Carr off. He's going to be the starter from day 1 and get plenty of minutes if he wants to come here. Ramey is more of a 2 guard meaning the only other PG is Askew. 

Edited by texasstrong12

If I’m reading these sites and tweets correctly, Tech fans thought they caught Beard cheating by having Carr on campus and started tweeting at and bombarding the NCAA and other college basketball writers when in reality Tech fans were 100% incorrect and made a fool of themselves (again).

Am i reading that right?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Yeah....he's the clear #1 guy at PG if he says yes.  Especially since Askew is only an 18-year old second year college player.  Our guard/wing depth is fine but we don't have anyone as good as Carr to run point. 

Askew: 6.5 points, 2.9 assists, 2.6 rebounds, 2 turnovers, 34.5% FG, 27.8% 3P, 80.6% FT 
Carr: 19.4 points, 4.9 assists, 4.0 rebounds, 2.3 turnovers, 38.5% FG, 31.7% 3P, 79.9% FT

It's not even questionable.  Dude was averaging 6.7 apg the year before last.

3 minutes ago, Pancho said:

If I’m reading these sites and tweets correctly, Tech fans thought they caught Beard cheating by having Carr on campus and started tweeting at and bombarding the NCAA and other college basketball writers when in reality Tech fans were 100% incorrect and made a fool of themselves (again).

Am i reading that right?

Yup, it's not illegal to visit during dead period if a transfer signs financial aid papers before visiting. 

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Yup, it's not illegal to visit during dead period if a transfer signs financial aid papers before visiting. 

And those papers don't bind the recruit to the school (unlike an NLI for high school recruits) and the transfer can back out any time (to go international or play for another school). 

We had a Harvard PG commit to Aston with the financial aid papers who then backed out when Vic was hired. No penalty for either. 

Edited by Js1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

with the NIL rules in place there's no reason for him to disappear to Oz when he can get paid while playing in Austin and building his personal brand as the starting PG of a potential Final Four team. come on Marcus Carr, do the right thing!

36 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Am i reading that right?

nm 

1 hour ago, Old Freak Nasty said:

Carr seems to really want to be a pro.  I'd be a little surprised if he didn't go to Australia with our guard/wing depth but one thing we are learning about Beard pretty quickly is he's a guy who makes it damn hard to say no to.

Our guard/wing depth will have no impact on him. Bend be the sure fire starter and be averaging 30+ mpg.

It’ll be interesting to see how much he wants to go pro/get paid right away. Based on a quick google, he could probably expect to make 125-250k in his one year there. There’s pretty much no chance legitimate NIL opportunities would get him close to that, so it’ll be interesting to see if Beard can pull some strings to make his compensation competitive with an Australia offer. I think it’s doable and he probably has a better chance of improving his draft stock at Texas. 

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

And those papers don't bind the recruit to the school (unlike an NLI for high school recruits) and the transfer can back out any time (to go international or play for another school). 

We had a Harvard PG commit to Aston with the financial aid papers who then backed out when Vic was hired. No penalty for either. 

It doesn't apply here, but would an NLI really prevent someone from going pro?  I know an NLI would prevent them from playing for another NCAA school, but I can't imagine it would keep them from playing in Australia.