2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

1 minute ago, Gourmand said:

Now just get Brantley back and replace Straw with McCormick in CF and that's an even more potent lineup and a tougher one to write for Dusty.

It seems like Straw has been better, but if he's not going to steal 2b every time he gets on then his 310 obp and 250 slugging don't play. If he's going to steal at a 75 or 80 percent clip and he goes every time he has the opportunity then that's a different story.

I assume Chaz Michael Michaels being in the starting lineup means Tucker is playing CF?  I'm not sure Chaz is an overall upgrade from Straw, but I'm willing to watch him and find out. He certainly seems like a more dangerous run producer and if Tucker is going to continue to get on, run the bases well, and find himself onbase a decent amount of time I guess I prefer the run producer in Chaz to the table setter in Straw. Especially with Machete being so bad and such a double play waiting to happen.  

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

It seems like Straw has been better, but if he's not going to steal 2b every time he gets on then his 310 obp and 250 slugging don't play. If he's going to steal at a 75 or 80 percent clip and he goes every time he has the opportunity then that's a different story.

I assume Chaz Michael Michaels being in the starting lineup means Tucker is playing CF?  I'm not sure Chaz is an overall upgrade from Straw, but I'm willing to watch him and find out. He certainly seems like a more dangerous run producer and if Tucker is going to continue to get on, run the bases well, and find himself onbase a decent amount of time I guess I prefer the run producer in Chaz to the table setter in Straw. Especially with Machete being so bad and such a double play waiting to happen.  

I agree that Straw has definitely been better lately and you're correct that he's not really providing the upside on the base paths that was expected of him. Unfortunately his OBP is still a little lower than you'd like for a guy you're conceding won't hit for power. He is good at putting the ball in play and not striking out, but he seems to generate a ton of fly ball outs. The knock on Chas relative to Straw is his strikeout rate is about ten percent higher but his slugging and hard hit percentages are a big upgrade over Straw. The question then shifts to the defensive side and I think McCormick has much better instincts in the outfield than Straw. It wouldn't surprise me to see him play a very capable CF. 

45 minutes ago, Scraps said:

The only thing that is saving Straw this season has been his ability to walk.  If not for that we would be looking at a repeat of his shitty ass 2020 numbers.  

He’s got a long minor league track record of walking, but you’d think that disappears in the bigs as he can’t threaten extra base pop 

1 hour ago, Gourmand said:

I agree that Straw has definitely been better lately and you're correct that he's not really providing the upside on the base paths that was expected of him. Unfortunately his OBP is still a little lower than you'd like for a guy you're conceding won't hit for power. He is good at putting the ball in play and not striking out, but he seems to generate a ton of fly ball outs. The knock on Chas relative to Straw is his strikeout rate is about ten percent higher but his slugging and hard hit percentages are a big upgrade over Straw. The question then shifts to the defensive side and I think McCormick has much better instincts in the outfield than Straw. It wouldn't surprise me to see him play a very capable CF. 

Straw would be fine if he was the worst hitter in the lineup batting 9th. The problem he's not. Way too much pressure on the other guys in the lineup to hit when you have the inconsistency of Straw and Maldonado. Though once Brantley gets back I think McCormick is good enough defensively to play CF, and finally end the daily nightmare of Straw as an everyday player.

19 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

He’s got a long minor league track record of walking, but you’d think that disappears in the bigs as he can’t threaten extra base pop 

Seriously, I would just pump fastballs over the middle to him all day, with the occasional off speed pitch, just to make him think. He's not a good base stealer and you have the human double play machine batting behind him.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Seriously, I would just pump fastballs over the middle to him all day, with the occasional off speed pitch, just to make him think. He's not a good base stealer and you have the human double play machine batting behind him.

Yeah me too. It’s bizarre that he ever walks. 

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Do we know how many times they have had ABs with at least a man on base?

total PA:

CC- 193

AB - 178

MM - 130

Yes.

MM

28 1--, 2 GDPs

7 12-, 1 GDP

7 1-3, 1 GDP

3 123, 0 GDP

So 4 GDPs in 45 ABs, or a GDP 8.89% of the time.

CC

34 1--, 5 GDPs

17 12-, 1 GDP

8 1-3, 1 GDP

2 123, 0 GDP

7 GDPs in 61 ABs, or 11.48%

AB

45 1--, 6 GDP

10 12-, 1 GDP

5 1-3, 0 GDP

3 123 0 GDP

7 GDPs in 63 ABs, or 11.11%