2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

43 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

They only have three available pitchers on the 40 man: Ivey, Nivaldo Rodriguez, and Peter Solomon. I suspect they will recall Ivey.

Moot now, but isn't there still the rule about having to stay down for 10 days?  If so that would preclude Ivey for a bit longer.  Actually, google says it's 10 days for position players and 15 days for pitchers.

42 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Or the team looks at Maldy's .720+ OPS from the past two years and sees his .581 OPS as a small sample size that will improve as the season goes along. 

I'm sure it will improve but I'd still like to see Castro more in the meantime.  Even if Maldy was hitting like normal I don't think the gap in defense warrants the playing time split we've seen.

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

If it was serious they would have gotten a MRI, or Dusty would know the results.

That's a good point, I bet you're right. In fact I bet it's roster manipulation with Odorizzi and Framber coming back this weekend. 

2 minutes ago, WBT said:

Moot now, but isn't there still the rule about having to stay down for 10 days?  If so that would preclude Ivey for a bit longer.  Actually, google says it's 10 days for position players and 15 days for pitchers.

Yes you're correct about the rule but a player doesn't have to stay down for 10 days as long as he's replacing an injured player. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Scraps said:

Oh so this is the portion of the season where all our pets heads start falling off.  

Cool. 

im blaming social distance karen from last night. she threw a hex at the team after too many people walked within 6ft of her !!!!!

Btw if you aren't listening to the radio broadcast, earlier in the inning when Bregman was at bat, Ford said "so far Bauer has thrown ELEVEN four-seamers and the Astros have swung at five of them and they haven't swung and missed ANY of them." 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Btw if you aren't listening to the radio broadcast, earlier in the inning when Bregman was at bat, Ford said "so far Bauer has thrown ELEVEN four-seamers and the Astros have swung at five of them and they haven't swung and missed ANY of them." 

Bang bang

2 minutes ago, wood said:

How in the fuck are there so many Dodgers fans at a regular season Astros home game? Are the California fuckers overrunning Houston of all places now, too?

A lot of Dodgers fans are there as a result of specifically organized trips by Pantone 294 and other organizations.  This was planned.

• Haha 1

With 2 outs Straw should really try to stretch that to a double

EDIT - I guess the counterpoint is that you don't want to risk getting thrown out and have Maldy lead off the next inning.  Same with an 8-hole hitter in the NL wanting to clear the pitcher's spot.

Edited by WBT

Have Bauer on the ropes in the first and let him off the hook, but at least he throws a lot of pitches. Do nothing the rest of the night and when you have a chance to build his pitch count you go 3 up 3 down on maybe 7 pitches. Sometimes I hate baseball.