2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

9 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I’m guessing Emanuel to the IL and Paredes sent down for Framber and Odorizzi. Who goes down for Urquidy early next week?

Probably Garza optioned back to AAA.

Check that, probably Taylor Jones unless there's more going on with Alvarez and Brantley.

Edited by Gourmand

1 minute ago, Mez2 said:

clanton's a dork 

He is, but he's kind of our( Houston's) dork.

Have found him to be funny at times, sometimes not; but he's never been a douche that I could remember.

6 minutes ago, runthebone said:

Giovanny Gallegos was on the Yankees in 2017 and 2018. 

It totally taints their 2017 ALCS runner-up participation ribbon.

I wish he was on the Astros right now. At worst he'd be our 2nd best reliever, but probably better than Pressly.

6 hours ago, runthebone said:

Giovanny Gallegos was on the Yankees in 2017 and 2018. 

It totally taints their 2017 ALCS runner-up participation ribbon.

Plus, as I've been pointing out for years, Yasiel Puig was on enough steroids to kill a horse during that World Series.  And the Yankees and Red Sox were also stealing signs. 

And I've also been pointing out for years that every team has a more complicated set of signs to use when a runner reaches second.  So, why wouldn't you use those signs all the time when you're on the road?  You don't see football coaches holding up 1 finger for run and 2 fingers for pass, do you?  If your signs can be "stolen," you suck at signs.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

If your signs can be "stolen," you suck at signs.

I've done waaaayyyy too much research into this topic, and back in the earliest days of baseball, that was the universal attitude. The first high-tech cheating scandal involved Mark fucking Twain's favorite club, the Hartford Dark Blues, sometime in the 1880s. Back then the media and fans didn't say teams stole signs, they said teams "tipped" signs, meaning they gave them away. It was assumed the other team would be trying to steal them; it was the responsibility of the signers to keep them secret / mix them up / whatever. And I think that is still the deal today, but the general public can't grasp the game within the game on that level. 

• Hook 'Em 4

13 hours ago, Gourmand said:

Who is our second best reliever?

Straw getting on base...

To be fair, Raley has shown glimpses, but wholly furk he's inconsistent.  Maybe more appearances will get him to turn the corner to where he can kill innings with that slider.

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Straw getting on base...

To be fair, Raley has shown glimpses, but wholly furk he's inconsistent.  Maybe more appearances will get him to turn the corner to where he can kill innings with that slider.

He's been pretty damn good lately, albeit most of his appearances were against the Rangers....

In his last 7 appearances dating back to May 10, his line looks like this: 7.2 IP 5 H 1 R 3 BB 13 K 0 HR

Also for the entire season so far, Raley has the best HardHit% (exit velo 95+) in MLB according to BaseballSavant, and he's in the top 15% of pitchers in K% and Whiff%.

While his ERA is 6.20, his xERA is 3.30, his K/9 is 12.8, his curve spin rate is in the 93% rank and his fastball spin is in the 88% rank. Honestly there's a lot going on with Raley and much of it is quite good.

Edited by Gourmand
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Gourmand said:

He's been pretty damn good lately, albeit most of his appearances were against the Rangers....

In his last 7 appearances dating back to May 10, his line looks like this: 7.2 IP 5 H 1 R 3 BB 13 K 0 HR

Also for the entire season so far, Raley has the best HardHit% (exit velo 95+) in MLB according to BaseballSavant, and he's in the top 15% of pitchers in K% and Whiff%.

While his ERA is 6.20, his xERA is 3.30, his K/9 is 12.8, his curve spin rate is in the 93% rank and his fastball spin is in the 88% rank. Honestly there's a lot going on with Raley and much of it is quite good.

He's been very good outside of his first couple of appearances.  

I'm excited for Framber's return but a little worried about his start tonight.  He was a little shaky in his AAA rehab and he doesn't seem to be all the way back yet.

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

Bought tickets for July 24th against the Rangers.  Club seats for a friend's 40th.  We will drink much whiskey.

I got a group of 19 as of now going to that game as well.  We will be in the nosebleeds with easy access to the Ultra Bar/Killens BBQ and shitter

Bought tickets for July 24th against the Rangers.  Club seats for a friend's 40th.  We will drink much whiskey.

Taking the family June 17th. First Astros game since high school in the dome. Was just trying to come up with a short trip we could do from Austin and wife suggested a Stros game so here we go.
  • Hook 'Em 1