2021 NBA Playoffs

Machinator

1 minute ago, Kermit said:

I saw this post and disagreed. That’s the most Kobe stat line I’ve seen in a long time. May he Rest In Peace.

Nothing against Booker as a person, but Booker the basketball player is unwatchable for me. I would rather hear Kyrie give a dissertation on why the earth is flat than watch Booker play. I am not certain why some folks have labeled him as a star in the league. Chris Paul rescued him and the Suns this year and while I would be the last person to say I enjoy watching Paul play as well he did get this group together and made them better as a whole than their parts. 

I guess at least Booker stayed out there after the game ended for a little bit and didn't exit immediately like Paul did. 

• Hook 'Em 2

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, BradInATX said:

Switching gears.. can we talk about CP3 leaving like he did? I don't remember the finals losers completely disregarding the post-series handshakes like that. Did any of the suns go dap the Bucks guys? Am I just being a boomer guy expecting that to happen? Is Chris Paul still a passive aggressive bitch?

I've never truly cared about whether the loser shakes hands with the winners.    I guess its nice if they do but certainly not a big deal if they dont.    They just lost out on their biggest goal in their basketball lives.   I understand being down or maybe salty.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, d2o said:

I've never truly cared about whether the loser shakes hands with the winners.    I guess its nice if they do but certainly not a big deal if they dont.    They just lost out on their biggest goal in their basketball lives.   I understand being down or maybe salty.

It’s one of those old practices meant to show that it’s just a game and we should be respectful and congratulatory towards our opponents. Once one sees the reason behind the post game handshakes, one can understand why a nut punching, all around bitch like Chris Paul wouldn’t be interested in participating.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

Nothing against Booker as a person, but Booker the basketball player is unwatchable for me. I would rather hear Kyrie give a dissertation on why the earth is flat than watch Booker play. I am not certain why some folks have labeled him as a star in the league. Chris Paul rescued him and the Suns this year and while I would be the last person to say I enjoy watching Paul play as well he did get this group together and made them better as a whole than their parts. 

I guess at least Booker stayed out there after the game ended for a little bit and didn't exit immediately like Paul did. 

I guess you hate basketball then. Bookers offensive skill is on point. The way he consistently hits jumpers on the descent is beautiful. He did not have a good game in the biggest game. Doesn't mean he's trash.

Edited by Llogg
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Llogg said:

I guess you hate basketball then. Bookers offensive skill is on point. The way he consistently hits jumpers on the descent is beautiful. He did not have a good game in the biggest game. Doesn't mean he's trash.

I just do not enjoy watching his style of play. It’s akin to watching Harden play. There are people who do not like watching LeBron’s game and that’s fine. We all enjoy something different.

11 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Yep, some of the takes here are wild.    Dude has a beautiful offensive game.  Not sure how you could hate watching that but to each his own.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Kermit said:

It’s one of those old practices meant to show that it’s just a game and we should be respectful and congratulatory towards our opponents. Once one sees the reason behind the post game handshakes, one can understand why a nut punching, all around bitch like Chris Paul wouldn’t be interested in participating.

I can see that but at the same time fans always claim they want guys to take the games personally but then expect them to not act like it when its MOST personal.   Plenty of guys over the yrs didnt shake hands.   Some did.  No biggie either way.

CP has many bitchmade qualities.  Classic little man complex IMO.  I'm not too pressed about this one.

20 minutes ago, d2o said:

Yeah this is overrated. Often times the losing players come into the WInners' lockerroom and congratulate them there behind the scenes. It's much easier to greet them there when they're all together rather than trying to meet each opposing player individually during the immediate chaos that begins after the buzzer sounds. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

A top 5 NBA player joining up with 2+ other hall of famers and winning a chip is expected, not really a great accomplishment.

Can throw in LeBron with Wade and Bosh. Any year they lost it was a massive failure. 

Exactly. KD joining a 73 win team he choked against who went to 2 straight Finals before he got there is not even close to what Giannis did. Bested Lebron? Lmao. Yeah it was all KD and had nothing to do with the already great cast the Warriors had. 

4 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Exactly. KD joining a 73 win team he choked against who went to 2 straight Finals before he got there is not even close to what Giannis did. Bested Lebron? Lmao. Yeah it was all KD and had nothing to do with the already great cast the Warriors had. 

The part about him just losing that team has always been under-emphasized IMO.   Not only did he join a 73 win team, he joined the team that just clowned him and his team.   

I certainly don't mean to re-litigate that situation but comparing that to this is laughable.

25 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

I just do not enjoy watching his style of play. It’s akin to watching Harden play. There are people who do not like watching LeBron’s game and that’s fine. We all enjoy something different.

Harden and Booker do not have similar styles of play

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Blotto said:

So question for @d2o....would you fire Bud immediately, or wait until after the victory parade, so he at least gets to experience that? I mean you would still fire him right?

You still on this?    He won so he will clearly be back.   He deserves that.   I still don't think he is a great coach.  Completing this run isn't changing that.

Edited by d2o

2 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

While you are certainly entitled to your opinion on whatever you find aesthetically pleasing, I couldn't disagree more. Booker may have a hair too much hero ball in his DNA for my taste, but the degree of difficulty on some of the shots he makes is off the charts. Some of the things he does are just so pure. And he competes like a mother. I don't think Phoenix uses him in the best way -- I think they should be running him more off screens and creating more catch and shoot opportunities for him, but that's not really how they play when CP3 is dominating the ball. 

And the take about Chris Paul rescuing him is way off. Both Paul and Booker took turns struggling big time in this series, and it was nearly always when Jrue Holiday was switched on to either of them. As amazing as Giannis was and is, Milwaukee doesn't win without Holiday's defense. He was incredible. It was the best perimeter defensive performance in a finals I can remember since Bruce Bowen took turns shutting down Chauncey Billups and Rip Hamilton in 2005. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Message Board User said:

Shots fired!

(KD tweet incoming…)

I doubt that he meant it at anyone directly and I'm sure he will be regretting not being more diplomatic about the way he said it.

little is said about how many players actually don't like Giannis.... ugly undertones to the whole thing. this won't help. but oh well.

• Like 1

Booker is a fun scorer but its really hard to officiate guys like him. Half of his drives he looks like he just got shot. Did he really get fouled or is he just flopping again? It's hard to tell unless you're watching it on TV and slow it down.

There were a couple plays where he really was fouled last night but I don't blame the refs for holding their whistle. Can't just go off of how Booker reacts.

30 minutes ago, d2o said:

You still on this?    He won so he will clearly be back.   He deserves that.   I still don't think he is a great coach.  Completing this run isn't changing that.

This is correct. I do think he showed much more flexibility in the finals than he has at any other point as coach of the Bucks and he deserves some recognition for that. However this finals win doesn’t change any of the problems that the Bucks still clearly have both from a roster and coaching standpoint

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, naija said:

I doubt that he meant it at anyone directly and I'm sure he will be regretting not being more diplomatic about the way he said it.

little is said about how many players actually don't like Giannis.... ugly undertones to the whole thing. this won't help. but oh well.

Think its cool when all the elite players aren't best friends. Let's see competition, not 4 hall of famers teaming up.

2 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

This is correct. I do think he showed much more flexibility in the finals than he has at any other point as coach of the Bucks and he deserves some recognition for that. However this finals win doesn’t change any of the problems that the Bucks still clearly have both from a roster and coaching standpoint

Is Bud worse than Steve Nash? Nash really hasn't done shit but the Nets will still be the favorites next season.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

While you are certainly entitled to your opinion on whatever you find aesthetically pleasing, I couldn't disagree more. Booker may have a hair too much hero ball in his DNA for my taste, but the degree of difficulty on some of the shots he makes is off the charts. Some of the things he does are just so pure. And he competes like a mother. I don't think Phoenix uses him in the best way -- I think they should be running him more off screens and creating more catch and shoot opportunities for him, but that's not really how they play when CP3 is dominating the ball. 

And the take about Chris Paul rescuing him is way off. Both Paul and Booker took turns struggling big time in this series, and it was nearly always when Jrue Holiday was switched on to either of them. As amazing as Giannis was and is, Milwaukee doesn't win without Holiday's defense. He was incredible. It was the best perimeter defensive performance in a finals I can remember since Bruce Bowen took turns shutting down Chauncey Billups and Rip Hamilton in 2005. 

Imagine if Booker and Jamal Murray switched places. 

5 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Think its cool when all the elite players aren't best friends. Let's see competition, not 4 hall of famers teaming up.

Is Bud worse than Steve Nash? Nash really hasn't done shit but the Nets will still be the favorites next season.

We have no idea if he’s worse or better than Nash. People keep pretending Nash is some terrible coach when we really don’t have much evidence either way. Bud isn’t a great coach. He’s made that pretty clear for the last few years. Bud also completed out coached Monty in this finals and this is probably the most adjustments I’ve seen him make and it paid off.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Exactly, they won so kudos to them.   They still went on way too many extended scoring lulls that they really seemed to have no way out of other than "hitting their shots".   They really didnt have a go to set to get them back in rhythm.   He did make a couple adjustments.   Going to the big lineup with Freak, Lopez and Portis a few times in the last 3 games and either he finally convinced Giannis to give up the ball more and get it back or Giannis realized how many easy buckets he got from doing so.

14 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

No.  Nash is brutal IMO but at least he has an excuse.   It was his first yr and their roster was in turmoil all yr.   The Nets being one of the favorites will have absolutely NOTHING to do with Nash.

Edited by d2o

7 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Putting Jrue in the full court pickup was a great decision. They also seemed to try to limit switching on CP3 unless it was Giannis or PJ on the switch which helped them a ton especially in slowing down CP3 at the elbows.

Man Jrue was so disruptive.    PHX started trying to treat him like a shutdown corner and just going the opposite way of him.  Basketball court is only so big and you cant only play on one side though.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

We have no idea if he’s worse or better than Nash. People keep pretending Nash is some terrible coach when we really don’t have much evidence either way. Bud isn’t a great coach. He’s made that pretty clear for the last few years. Bud also completed out coached Monty in this finals and this is probably the most adjustments I’ve seen him make and it paid off.

and yet somehow  in the 3 seasons since Bud took over in Milwuakee, the Bucks have led the entire league in regular season wins (and I'm assuming play off wins). This isnt some barry switzer scenario, waltzing into a franchise that had just won a couple of championships. Milwuakee had not won a playoff series since 01. The season prior to Bud's arrival, Giannis was a second team all nba, and they still got bounced in the first round. I guess I don't get everyone claiming Bud is some schlub holding back an all time great franchise. The single biggest change in Milwaukee's fortunes happened after they hired Bud. 

Just now, Blotto said:

and yet somehow  in the 3 seasons since Bud took over in Milwuakee, the Bucks have led the entire league in regular season wins (and I'm assuming play off wins). This isnt some barry switzer scenario, waltzing into a franchise that had just won a couple of championships. Milwuakee had not won a playoff series since 01. The season prior to Bud's arrival, Giannis was a second team all nba, and they still got bounced in the first round. I guess I don't get everyone claiming Bud is some schlub holding back an all time great franchise. The single biggest change in Milwaukee's fortunes happened after they hired Bud. 

That’s all true. They also then failed miserably in back to back playoffs and had no plan or adjustments in multiple series. Again he gets tons of credit for the title this year but coaching, specifically game to game adjustments, he has been terrible until literally the last 4 games.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The only free agent coach that I would have rated above Bud would be Rick Carlisle and Carlisle hasn't won a playoff series in 10 years. Who are the available coaches clearly better than Bud? List them.

Before this year LeBron or Steph had been in 9 straight finals I believe. Would lead me to say talent rules the NBA. Make them happy. Giannis likes Bud.

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

That’s all true. They also then failed miserably in back to back playoffs and had no plan or adjustments in multiple series. Again he gets tons of credit for the title this year but coaching, specifically game to game adjustments, he has been terrible until literally the last 4 games.

So taking a team without a playoff series win in over 15 years to the Eastern conference finals in his first year, losing in 6 games to the eventual champion is "failing miserably"? WTF. Serious question, who are all of the nba coaches you feel are clearly better than Bud? If the answer is "they all suck", I get it. But over the last 3 years nobody has outperformed him, so I'm curious why not? 

1 minute ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

The only free agent coach that I would have rated above Bud would be Rick Carlisle and Carlisle hasn't won a playoff series in 10 years. Who are the available coaches clearly better than Bud? List them.

Before this year LeBron or Steph had been in 9 straight finals I believe. Would lead me to say talent rules the NBA. Make them happy. Giannis likes Bud.

We all know talent rules the nba. That doesn’t mean coaches shouldn’t coach

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Blotto said:

So taking a team without a playoff series win in over 15 years to the Eastern conference finals in his first year, losing in 6 games to the eventual champion is "failing miserably"? WTF. Serious question, who are all of the nba coaches you feel are clearly better than Bud? If the answer is "they all suck", I get it. But over the last 3 years nobody has outperformed him, so I'm curious why not? 

Yea when you are up 2-0, Nick Nurse makes adjustments and you don’t, then you lose 4 straight games that’s a pretty big failure for the number 1 seed with the league MVP. I’m also not sure what the previous 15 years has to with anything. That has nothing to do with Bud and it really doesn’t have anything to do with Giannis.

Nick Nurse, Quin Synder, Mike Malone, Carlisle, Pop, Spo just off the top of my head. I would argue Stevens and Kerr potentially.

Again Bud deserves all the credit in the world but the issues with that team didn’t just disappear.  Not sure why that’s so difficult. The argument of “who else is available” is really beside the point. We are talking about Bud. No one thought Frank Vogel was worth a shit and then he won a title. That doesn’t change the problems he has as a coach.

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

If KD or Lebron don't want to play for guys like Mike Malone or Rick Carlisle then who cares is my thought. Go hire the worse coach that elite players like.

You’re not wrong with that sentiment. But that doesn’t mean they should be immune from criticism for how they coach and manage the team.

i pos repped that post about Booker, not because i agree with the part about hating to watch him play, but for the part about having no idea why everyone has been wanting to crown his ass as the next superstar for so long. the dude has been in the league for six, that's right SIX full seasons and he isn't even an All Star player (nor is he a good shooter outside of 2-pt range, nor does he play D), and yet for at least 3-4 years now it's been so sexy and popular to pump him up like he's some All NBA player on his way to a top 20 all time career. it drives me nuts. it's like one guy claimed he was The Next Coming four years ago and everyone else just latched on to that line of praise and hasn't let go. he might currently be the most overrated player in the league. i mean i already felt that way for a while, but these playoffs have taken it into overdrive. "the next kobe". no clue what people are seeing when they say these things.

5 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Nick Nurse, Quin Synder, Mike Malone, Carlisle, Pop, Spo just off the top of my head. I would argue Stevens and Kerr potentially.

I'd acknowledge Pop and maybe Kerr. I would take Bud over everyone else on that list. What the fuck have they ever accomplished that surpasses what bud has accomplished. He has been an nba coach for 8 years now. He has two nba coach of the year awards and a 3rd season with a championship. Quin Synder, lulz.

I have no issues with criticizing a coach when they fuck up, and they all do for the most part. My issue is people suggesting that Bud should be fired (d2o) before the season even concludes, as if its obvious that red aurbach, pat riley, or phil jackson would be coaching next season in Milwaukee. Who the fuck you gonna hire? 

3 minutes ago, Blotto said:

I'd acknowledge Pop and maybe Kerr. I would take Bud over everyone else on that list. What the fuck have they ever accomplished that surpasses what bud has accomplished. He has been an nba coach for 8 years now. He has two nba coach of the year awards and a 3rd season with a championship. Quin Synder, lulz.

I have no issues with criticizing a coach when they fuck up, and they all do for the most part. My issue is people suggesting that Bud should be fired (d2o) before the season even concludes, as if its obvious that red aurbach, pat riley, or phil jackson would be coaching next season in Milwaukee. Who the fuck you gonna hire? 

It was pretty widely known that if they didnt get over the hump this yr he was gone.     He had some pretty terrible performances throughout these playoffs.   Not sure what exactly you are expecting.    He can win a title and still not be a great coach.    

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Blotto said:

If the Nets don’t get hurt Bud wouldn’t have a job right now. I don’t know who they could potentially hire but again that’s not really the point. Until the Nets got hurt Bud had shown to be unable to adjust to playoff basketball on multiple occasions and his team crashed out. Those other coaches that you’re saying haven’t accomplished anything don’t get to coach Giannis either. They have Donovan Mitchell or Jokic and a bunch of nobodies. Spo has titles, Nick Nurse had titles and pantsed Bud last season. Most of the time in the NBA the most talented team wins. That’s usually how it works. No one is saying Bud is terrible but when you have the two time MVP, another all star, and another all defense player, but you can’t get the job done because you don’t adjust your game to the playoffs, that’s a coaching failure. Should it get him fired? If I was the GM it would. 

• Hook 'Em 2