2021 PGA Championship

Wally Fairway

I was really hoping that Brooks wouldn't be paired with Phil.  I have a bad feeling that Phil won't be able to handle the heat against the human robot.  I'm not really sure why, but I have never really like Brooks.  I won't be rooting for him tomorrow but I have a bad feeling he will win his 5th Major tomorrow. 

1 minute ago, Hate said:

I was really hoping that Brooks wouldn't be paired with Phil.  I have a bad feeling that Phil won't be able to handle the heat against the human robot.  I'm not really sure why, but I have never really like Brooks.  I won't be rooting for him tomorrow but I have a bad feeling he will win his 5th Major tomorrow. 

I have never really liked Koepka either, for reasons I find difficult to quantify.  But he’s moved up in my book this year, playing through the knee problems.  A lot of guys would have taken the year off and rehabbed while collecting the endorsement money.  And that might be the smart move when you are looking at a 10-15 year window as a legit contender.  But he’s out there giving it a go despite the fact that he can’t squat to read a putt, and is currently in second place.

3 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Surlyites should love Koepka. He doesn’t suffer fools and will publicly call them out. His victims have included Reed, BCD, J.B., and Sergio. He hates slow play and has a hot girlfriend. And he’s really good at golf. 

4e7a1e7624ae004251f489b40c483c37

15 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I have never really liked Koepka either, for reasons I find difficult to quantify.  But he’s moved up in my book this year, playing through the knee problems.  A lot of guys would have taken the year off and rehabbed while collecting the endorsement money.  And that might be the smart move when you are looking at a 10-15 year window as a legit contender.  But he’s out there giving it a go despite the fact that he can’t squat to read a putt, and is currently in second place.

Oh, I respect him and his accomplishments.  I just can't put my finger on why I don't like him.

3 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Surlyites should love Koepka. He doesn’t suffer fools and will publicly call them out. His victims have included Reed, BCD, J.B., and Sergio. He hates slow play and has a hot girlfriend. And he’s really good at golf. 

And these are reasons he should be liked but I just don't.  He seems like someone that likes bro country and drops, has spit bottles everywhere, and tips 10%.  I respect his game, but I don't like him and won't be cheering for him. 

Edited by Hate

22 minutes ago, Hate said:

I'm not worried about Phil with Koepka.  This is gonna be all about Phil's driving/tee shots.  He drives it well he'll be there at the end IMO.

1 hour ago, Dewey said:

Kyle Porter is shocked by this? 

Um... it's a little unlikely, yeah. He was the favorite going in.

I mean, just curious.... how many golfers in the field do you think have at least 4 majors? 

10 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Golf isn't about publicly calling out your fellow tour pros. This isn't fucking MMA. I don't cheer for assholes that talk shit about other players unless it's something like the Ryder. Him having a "victim" list is embarassing. Rory putting him in his place after he talked shit about DJ a year or two back was awesome. 

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Um... it's a little unlikely, yeah. He was the favorite going in.

I mean, just curious.... how many golfers in the field do you think have at least 4 majors? 

Just me, I guess, but I'm not shocked to see it's Phil, not Rory. Phil has been playing good golf, more consistent good golf than Rory. I just can't believe Rory is still a poster boy for top dogs in majors, he isn't,  hasn't been for a while now. Its.more surprising to see Rory at the top of a leaderboard on Sunday at a major than it is to see him barley make the cut. I know he won recently at Quial Hallow, but that doesn't negate 5,6,7 years of up and down golf in majors. 

If you told me on Monday that Phil would be in the final group on Sunday,  I would not have been surprised.  

14 minutes ago, Dewey said:

Just me, I guess, but I'm not shocked to see it's Phil, not Rory. Phil has been playing good golf, more consistent good golf than Rory. I just can't believe Rory is still a poster boy for top dogs in majors, he isn't,  hasn't been for a while now. Its.more surprising to see Rory at the top of a leaderboard on Sunday at a major than it is to see him barley make the cut. I know he won recently at Quial Hallow, but that doesn't negate 5,6,7 years of up and down golf in majors. 

If you told me on Monday that Phil would be in the final group on Sunday,  I would not have been surprised.  

I'll just answer the question for you. He, Brooks and Phil are the only 3 guys in the field that have 4 majors. One of them is injured and has missed 2 cuts in a row (including the Masters), one of them is 50 and hasn't contended at a major in 5 years, and one of them won 2 weeks ago and has won the PGA at this course by a record victory margin. 

Yes - Rory hasn't won a major since 2014. But he has more than twice as many top 10s at majors than missed cuts since then as well as a Players victory and 2 Fedex cups. He's 32. He'll get back there. 

Phil leading right now is shocking in its own right - you say he's been playing "consistent good golf" yet he hasn't had a top 20 finish in 11 months. Much more shocking than Rory in the final group would have been (you know - the odds on betting favorite). You don't even need the other qualifier of Brooks being there.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Dewey said:

I mean really this is such bullshit. Unless you barely follow golf. 

No one is shocked that Rory isn't there. 50 year old Phil that hasn't sniffed a major since 2016 being the 54 hole leader is what's crazy.

Phil had ZERO majors at Rory's age.

Edited by ztejas

It's not bullshit at all and I do follow golf, damn near every week. You can throw stats out there, but this final group is not that surprising. This was a wide open field, Rory being the odds on favorite to start the week is.more bullshit than these two being in the final group. Oh, he won a tour stop, he must be back to his 2014 form.  Rory is still going through swing changes, that's a real struggle still for him... in my opinion. People in this thread have talked about Brooks being a robot, no one can deny Phil is an all-time great, but yes, let's be surprised that a guy who has had many poor showings in majors isn't in the final group on Sunday. And let's be shocked that Phil is, since he went off at 200-1. 

10 minutes ago, Dewey said:

It's not bullshit at all and I do follow golf, damn near every week. You can throw stats out there, but this final group is not that surprising. This was a wide open field, Rory being the odds on favorite to start the week is.more bullshit than these two being in the final group. Oh, he won a tour stop, he must be back to his 2014 form.  Rory is still going through swing changes, that's a real struggle still for him... in my opinion. People in this thread have talked about Brooks being a robot, no one can deny Phil is an all-time great, but yes, let's be surprised that a guy who has had many poor showings in majors isn't in the final group on Sunday. And let's be shocked that Phil is, since he went off at 200-1. 

Okay well pardon some of us for thinking a 50 year old winning the PGA Championship at a 7,800 yard monster would be pretty God damn amazing. 

Rory is an all-time great, too. And he's sucked way less than Phil has at majors as of late. 

I think this is how Dewey envisions Phil Mickelson 

Edited by ztejas
And no he doesn't drive the ball 330 wtf are you talking about (please consider everyone's driving stats at this course are inflated)

38 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Lefty has a shot to make some gamblers happy... 😋

"Mickelson’s PGA Championship odds opened at 200-1 odds to win the tournament. "

There’s probably only one person in the world with any heavy action on Phil this week.  And he would just add it to his purse winnings. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

There’s probably only one person in the world with any heavy action on Phil this week.  And he would just add it to his purse winnings. 

I think he's commenting here actually.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Dewey said:

I tell you I haven't put Rory in any of my major pools the past 2 or 3 years. 

You're talking to the biggest Rory fan here and really I'm just busting your balls. (Rory actually did win me money two weekends ago, too)

On one hand, Phil is doing some incredible shit right now. On the other, it's total Phil Mickelson. So I get where you're coming from. I just don't want us to take away from what would be a record-setting win to give him a pretty stout 6 majors. 

Edited by ztejas

11 minutes ago, ztejas said:

You're talking to the biggest Rory fan here and really I'm just busting your balls. (Rory actually did win me money two weekends ago, too)

On one hand, Phil is doing some incredible shit right now. On the other, it's total Phil Mickelson. So I get where you're coming from. I just don't want us to take away from what would be a record-setting win to give him a pretty stout 6 majors. 

Hell no, I was just talking to my brother and told him this could very well be Phil's last major at the top. What Phil is doing at his age, I don't have words. He has committed himself to better shape, a sounder mind, this major and how he still stripes it is all amazing. 

All good 👍

1 hour ago, Hate said:

This has turned out to be one of my favorite venues for a major.  This should be in the rotation for many many years to come.

It can be hard as shit. You could play a US Open here easily. They’ve shortened a lot of holes this week.