West Virginia @ Texas Series Thread

Horny Bull

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Or maybe this loss stings us to where it gets us going to make a postseason run and lift our 7th up. You don't know. I don't know either. No one knows shit about what's going to happen. So quit being a pussy and support what is a proven badass baseball team. 

@Cairn Horn88 you're gonna neg me for this? Jesus fucking Christ. Keep it up and maybe some day a woman will let you touch her private parts, fuckwad.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

It would be really nice if Melendez can quit swinging at those curveballs that are in the dirt. It would be really sweet to see him back to his April form.

He’s has 3 homers in 44 team games outside of his incredible streak. Poor plate discipline. He needs to be batting 7th. As powerful as he is, the limited homers shows he’s not making solid contact.

That 2-0 swing in the 9th was as poor as you will ever see.
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

If Ty Madden is this uneven, nothing else matters. We need our ace to be on if we want to go to Omaha.

I think Stevens is our ace....Madden just hasn't pitched that well the last 4 games.  He showed no emotion when he was pulled tonight....plus, too many batters standing at the plate with the bat on their shoulder....that's coaching.  We just are not that good.....imo.

1 minute ago, Had Enough said:

He’s has 3 homers in 44 team games outside of his incredible streak. Poor plate discipline. He needs to be batting 7th. As powerful as he is, the limited homers shows he’s not making solid contact.

That 2-0 swing in the 9th was as poor as you will ever see.

He seems particularly bad in high-pressure situations.

1 minute ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

I think Stevens is our ace....Madden just hasn't pitched that well the last 4 games.  He showed no emotion when he was pulled tonight....plus, too many batters standing at the plate with the bat on their shoulder....that's coaching.  We just are not that good.....imo.

Can we just start Witt because that was the best thing I saw all night. 

@Cairn Horn88 keep going buddy. 11,000 left and I won't even hit you back. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Holy fuck just stop posting 

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

E14Qc_mWQAQQSVT?format=jpg&name=medium

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Who cares. It isn't about that. Why is our ace giving up 5 runs to a bottom dweller? Why are we unable to score RISP? Why do we not take wide open bases and instead try and take contested ones?

I'm still a believer but fuck man... this team is far from perfect. 

• Hook 'Em 4

23 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Bye Bye big 12 championship

You realize we can win the next 2 and tcu can easily drop a game considering they’re on like a 7 game losing streak. I know it’s difficult, but don’t go full greenspoint 

• Haha 1

Just now, Cairn Horn88 said:

Lighten up Francis....this game irritated the crap out of me.  

I was at the fucking game you stupid fucking twat. I paid money to see that shit and also paid for several overpriced beers while cheering my lungs out for these guys. So I'm sorry the game irritated you but maybe quit being such a vagina about it and recognize that this isn't a season ending loss - especially not when our season is going to be defined by whether or not we made it to Omaha and handled business. 

Just close the browser and step away for a bit. You're peddling some garbage no one wants to hear right now. 

22 minutes ago, Machinator said:

If Ty Madden is this uneven, nothing else matters. We need our ace to be on if we want to go to Omaha.

We can make it to Omaha with Hanson and Stevens the way they pitched lately. We could win it all if we get early season Madden back. 

Oh and yeah I’m fucking pissed too. Just look at the second post of this thread. But tomorrow’s a new day and Stevens and Hansen have looked great the last few outings. And tcu could easily get swept by k state. They’re on a Shaka like downward spiral

Ty should pitch against the 4 seed in the regional or the 3rd game. He has a lot to work on, I mean A LOT. He only has 2 pitches, relies way to much on his fastball which is partially on Allen because he is calling the game and partly on Madden because he only has 2 pitches.

Only quality outing against a good team that he has had this year is against South Carolina and I’ll give him Oklahoma State although it got shaky towards the end. 

He shouldn’t pitch any elimination games if Texas can avoid it unless they start using him like the Rays use Tyler Glasnow because that is who he is until he develops another pitch. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Guest Lobo

Kansas State and Baylor did their fucking jobs tonight.  Meanwhile, Texas Tech and Texas shit the bed.  DAMNIT!  

Also, not hard rain, but lightning in forecast tomorrow night starting around 5:00p.  We need to win this fucking series and we need 14-18 innings in which to do it.  Move the fucking games if you have to.  But WVU can't stick around on Sunday to play more.......so find a fucking way to fit the games in around the weather this weekend.  We are just begging for ways to fuck this series up aren't we?  

57 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

This team may not get out of its regional...and definitely won't get out of a super.  Let the last place team in the conference come into our house, and fucking make us look like shit with our best pitcher.  Good teams don't do that.  I have lost faith in this team.  No killer instinct at all.  Shit.

God damn, dude. Breathe 

• Hook 'Em 2

56 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

This team may not get out of its regional...and definitely won't get out of a super.  Let the last place team in the conference come into our house, and fucking make us look like shit with our best pitcher.  Good teams don't do that.  I have lost faith in this team.  No killer instinct at all.  Shit.

Georgia went into Vandy’s house and bitch slapped Kumar so this is a bad take, but yes Madden does not look good and his issues aren’t a quick fix.

Madden not our best pitcher and Texas will be fine if they don’t use him like he is our best pitcher but Pierce probably doesn’t have the balls to do that so now we wait and see what Pierce does. 

Madden is only projected to go as high as he is in the draft because scouts go “Woah, pitcher throw hard, must have”. Pete and Tanner are the two best pitchers on the team

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, chase25 said:

Georgia went into Vandy’s house and bitch slapped Kumar so this is a bad take, but yes Madden does not look good and his issues aren’t a quick fix.

Madden not our best pitcher and Texas will be fine if they don’t use him like he is our best pitcher but Pierce probably doesn’t have the balls to do that so now we wait and see what Pierce does. 

Madden is only projected to go as high as he is in the draft because scouts go “Woah, pitcher throw hard, must have”. Pete and Tanner are the two best pitchers on the team

Jesus H. Shitty take on shitty take. Madden has elite velocity and pretty damn good stuff. There's a reason he's projected where he is by guys that are actually paid to project those things. Maybe he's banged up and hasn't been great lately - but saying he's the 3rd best pitcher on this team is laughable. 

I'm fine if we rotate him to 2nd or 3rd but that doesn't say much about his potential or draft stock or even quality as a pitcher. It's just that his current form isn't that great. Should we drop Ivan from the starting lineup because he didn't smash a walk off homer tonight? 

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, chase25 said:

Ty should pitch against the 4 seed in the regional or the 3rd game. He has a lot to work on, I mean A LOT. He only has 2 pitches, relies way to much on his fastball which is partially on Allen because he is calling the game and partly on Madden because he only has 2 pitches.

Only quality outing against a good team that he has had this year is against South Carolina and I’ll give him Oklahoma State although it got shaky towards the end. 

He shouldn’t pitch any elimination games if Texas can avoid it unless they start using him like the Rays use Tyler Glasnow because that is who he is until he develops another pitch. 

Yeah I’m thinking Kub if it’s a Texas southern type for the 4 seed then stevens in the winners bracket with madden and Hanson waiting 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Jesus H. Shitty take on shitty take. Madden has elite velocity and pretty damn good stuff. There's a reason he's projected where he is by guys that are actually paid to project those things. Maybe he's banged up and hasn't been great lately - but saying he's the 3rd best pitcher on this team is laughable. 

I'm fine if we rotate him to 2nd or 3rd but that doesn't say much about his potential or draft stock or even quality as a pitcher. It's just that his current form isn't that great. Should we drop Ivan from the starting lineup because he didn't smash a walk off homer tonight? 

It isn’t a bad take at all. He has an elite fastball at times, not elite stuff. Their is a difference. 

Tanner Witt has elite stuff. Pete Hansen has great stuff. Ty... throws a 98+ mph fastball and when he doesn’t have that then what? You see what we’ve seen the last several starts. Pete throws 88-91 and mows people down, why? Pete can pitch, he can change eye level and command the zone East-West. 

Don’t beat straw mans to try and win an argument because I was simply giving my opinion. Ty is still a starter and should continue to be a starter; however, that does not make him the best pitcher on the team. And no Ivan shouldn’t be benched to answer your question but he should be moved out of the 4 spot, whether the best solution is in front of Zubia to see if that gets him more fastballs or down the order to take the pressure off I’m not sure

Edited by chase25
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, chase25 said:

It isn’t a bad take at all. You are confusing “elite” stuff with 98+ mph fastball. Their is a difference. 

I didn't say elite stuff. I said elite velocity and pretty good stuff. So maybe read a little bit better before you retort next time. But if you want to get into a pissing match with slightly drunk and disgruntled ztejas over Ty Madden's MLB pitching stock go for it. Personally I'm disinterested. 

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

I didn't say elite stuff. I said elite velocity and pretty good stuff. So maybe read a little bit better before you retort next time. But if you want to get into a pissing match with slightly drunk and disgruntled ztejas over Ty Madden's MLB pitching stock go for it. Personally I'm disinterested. 

I edited my post before you even posted because I went back an reread your post to make sure I didn’t put words into your mouth. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, chase25 said:

Madden is our best pitcher. He’s the closest thing to a consistent SO guy we have on the team. His velocity stamina is elite and that plays a big role in his projection to the bigs, as well. Some people are projecting him as fools gold which isn’t the case at all. There’s dudes in bigs that make millions with only two pitches. Maddens problem these past couple of starts is he feels he can just over power the hitters rather than just hitting his spots. 95mph on the corner is completely different than 95mph cock shot. His zone work has been the issue, opponents know this. That’s not necessarily something he can  fix quick but to say that can’t be our ace, which he obviously is, because of his issues with the zone is an overreaction.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, chase25 said:

I edited my post before you even posted because I went back an reread your post to make sure I didn’t put words into your mouth. 

It's cool man. Life goes on. Everyone on this thread wanted to win tonight. And I think everyone on this board would have taken being 2nd in the country with a chance to tie for the big 12 season title in our last conference series if offered at the start of the season. Tempers are high right now.

Funny side story - I sat behind a nice couple and maybe their kid and a grandparent ("kid" was in his 30s so they were a bit older). At one point I went to take a leak and came back and kind of a chunky teenager was sitting right where I had been just a seat over chatting up the aforementioned folks in front of me.

I sit back down and mind my business and he keeps calling over to people and saying hi to strangers and so I jokingly quip "man you know everyone in the ballpark don't ya?" and he goes "yeah well my brother is on the team".

So obviously I ask "oh who is your brother?" and it turns out it's Austin Todd's teenage little brother. I told him I wish his brother was healthy. 

The lady in front of me was a retired teacher from somewhere in Round Rock and said that Todd's younger brother was about the sweetest kid ever and she had taught him a couple years back. He might be a little... different... but all in all it was a funny moment. Austin's getting bigger but it can still be a small world. 

• Like 1

I mean for fucks sake to say this isn’t good stuff is ridiculous. We’ve seen him do it. And to say that Witt is the better pitcher right now is doesn’t make sense imo. Witt more than likely couldn’t go 6 or 7 innings like madden can. The better argument is Witt will probably finish his career being better than madden which I would agree with. Witt has some solid stuff being only a freshman. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

Madden is our best pitcher. He’s the closest thing to a consistent SO guy we have on the team. His velocity stamina is elite and that plays a big role in his projection to the bigs, as well. Some people are projecting him as fools gold which isn’t the case at all. There’s dudes in bigs that make millions with only two pitches. Maddens problem these past couple of starts is he feels he can just over power the hitters rather than just hitting his spots. 95mph on the corner is completely different than 95mph cock shot. His zone work has been the issue, opponents know this. That’s not necessarily something he can  fix quick but to say that can’t be our ace, which he obviously is, because of his issues with the zone is an overreaction.  

His velocity wasn't there tonight. He didn't have 95 on the corner he had about 91. And his middle of the zone was 95 not 99.

18 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

I disagree on it being an overreaction that he isn’t our ace. His projected potential is irrelevant as far as what he does at Texas, wish him the best in the pros but I don’t think there are many on this board that wouldn’t take Nathan Thornhill over Ty Madden and Nathan was drafted in the 13th round.

I don’t think he is fools gold but he has faltered more times than he hasn’t against the best competition we have faced this season.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with saying he is Tyler Glasnow who has had a career resurgence with the Rays. Why? The Rays unlike the Pirates quit trying to use him as a traditional 7 -8 inning type and told him to go out there and pitch balls to the wall for 4-5 and then we will turn it over to the pen. This year is a different story as I guess the Rays have built his stamina up, don’t sit down and watch Rays baseball every night so I couldn’t tell ya as it pertains to this years

Edited by chase25

God damn y’all chill. Maddens gonna be fine in the big 12 tournament and our regional and super. This team is very similar to the ‘14 team but this years team has the slight edge on hitting. We’re gonna be fine. Oh and we lost the series to West Virginia in our 2nd to last series in 2014. Remind me how we finished again? Buncha fuckin pussies around here 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, chase25 said:

I disagree on it being an overreaction that he isn’t our ace. His projected potential is irrelevant as far as what he does at Texas, wish him the best in the pros but I don’t think they are many on this board that wouldn’t take Nathan Thornhill over Ty Madden and Nathan was drafted in the 13th round.

I don’t think he is fools gold but he has faltered more times than he hasn’t against the best competition we have faced this season.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with saying he is Tyler Glasnow who has had a career resurgence with the Rays. Why? The Rays unlike the Pirates quit trying to use him as a traditional 7 -8 inning type and told him to go out there and pitch balls to the wall for 4-5 and then we will turn it over to the pen. 

I mean that’s cool and all about Glasnosw but how does that translate to this team and the arms we have? Are you saying you want Madden to switch with someone in the pen? 

The mlb projection was more for highlighting his ability’s scouts are looking for which is we all know what it is. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

I mean that’s cool and all about Glasnosw but how does that translate to this team and the arms we have? Are you saying you want Madden to switch with someone in the pen? 

The mlb projection was more for highlighting his ability’s scouts are looking for which is we all know what it is. 

No I'm saying he is a 4-5 inning starter right now that is how it translates to how the Rays used Glasnow. The two are very similar, both tall, two pitch guys who throw absolute gas. The Rays unlike the Pirates said alright go out and throw gas for 4-5 innings (instead of worrying about getting deep into a game) rather than trying to get 6-7 out of him when you can clearly see the velocity tail off. 

In conference play Ty has a 3.71 ERA with a 1.3 WHIP while giving up a team high 6 HRs in conference play. My take is not an overreaction it is a trend. A 3.71 ERA is great from your number 2 or 3 starter, not your "Ace". His last 4 outings against OKST/Tech/TCU/WVU he has given up 13 ER (20 runs) in just 23 IP which is 5.09 ERA over those 4 starts.

I'm still high on this team, tonight sucked and was a kick in the nuts. West Virginia played about as good as they could with some big breaks and won by 1. This team could still do big things if they quit trying to use Madden like he is Jungmann.

14 minutes ago, chase25 said:

No I'm saying he is a 4-5 inning starter right now that is how it translates to how the Rays used Glasnow. The two are very similar, both tall, two pitch guys who throw absolute gas. The Rays unlike the Pirates said alright go out and throw gas for 4-5 innings (instead of worrying about getting deep into a game) rather than trying to get 6-7 out of him when you can clearly see the velocity tail off. 

In conference play Ty has a 3.71 ERA with a 1.3 WHIP while giving up a team high 6 HRs in conference play. My take is not an overreaction it is a trend. A 3.71 ERA is great from your number 2 or 3 starter, not your "Ace". His last 4 outings against OKST/Tech/TCU/WVU he has given up 13 ER (20 runs) in just 23 IP which is 5.09 ERA over those 4 starts.

Ah ok I see what you are saying but I guess my next question would be how would that work with the back end of our bullpen not being that deep. Madden going deep in games has given us better chances on Saturdays and Sunday’s, especially when Klub was pitching. 

The second part of your post is pretty indefensible. The stats don’t lie and they show Madden hasn’t been his best or to the standard we know he can be. I will add one of those starts he had a bad blister and that probably didn’t help the stat sheet. But there’s no excuse really, although his pitching style being heavy in fastballs can give way to bigger hits when the pitcher isn’t on. When Madden is going full tilt and is on, he is undoubtedly our ace. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, DoneWithit said:

Ah ok I see what you are saying but I guess my next question would be how would that work with the back end of our bullpen not being that deep. Madden going deep in games has given us better chances on Saturdays and Sunday’s, especially when Klub was pitching. 

The second part of your post is pretty indefensible. The stats don’t lie and they show Madden hasn’t been his best or to the standard we know he can be. I will add one of those starts he had a bad blister and that probably didn’t help the stat sheet. But there’s no excuse really, although his pitching style being heavy in fastballs can give way to bigger hits when the pitcher isn’t on. When Madden is going full tilt and is on, he is undoubtedly our ace. 

Well Pete and Tristan can go deep into games so you shouldn't be worried anymore about saving your bullpen for the end of the weekend. I don't know how many follow college baseball across the country but Arkansas has this guy Kevin Kopps who has pitched 59.1 innings out of the bullpen in 25 appearances for Arky. Arkansas hasn't lost an SEC series all year, nor have they swept and you'll notice in just about every series, their one loss is when he doesn't pitch. They ride him on Friday and they ride him on Sunday. Tanner Witt isn't to Kopps level yet but he is the closest thing which is more than good enough. We have 3 really good bullpen arms which is more than just about any school in the country can say.

I would pitch Madden 4-5 innings and pair him with Witt for 2-3 maybe even 4 innings (pending how long Madden lasts) and then hand the game over to Aaron. Then on Saturday you are hoping Stevens gets you into the 6 or 7th and you still have a fresh Cole, Lucas, Wenzel, Shifflet, and maybe Aaron is available for an inning. Then Sunday you have Witt again and more than likely the rest of your pen in some capacity minus maybe Aaron. The game is fluid so it won't go exactly like that obviously but that is the framework I would operate in.

Tanner Witt this season against Arkansas/SCAR/A&M/TCU/Tech/OKST/WVU which to this point have either been the best teams we have played and/or something on the line: 18.2 IP, 2 ER, 30 strikeouts, and 5 walks... That is elite, we should be riding him. I know he allowed 4 base runners against Arky but when a Freshman comes in for his first D1 action ever and records 5 outs against the best team in the country, all by strikeout, you have something special.

• Hook 'Em 3

32 minutes ago, chase25 said:

Well Pete and Tristan can go deep into games so you shouldn't be worried anymore about saving your bullpen for the end of the weekend. I don't know how many follow college baseball across the country but Arkansas has this guy Kevin Kopps who has pitched 59.1 innings out of the bullpen in 25 appearances for Arky. Arkansas hasn't lost an SEC series all year, nor have they swept and you'll notice in just about every series, their one loss is when he doesn't pitch. They ride him on Friday and they ride him on Sunday. Tanner Witt isn't to Kopps level yet but he is the closest thing which is more than good enough. We have 3 really good bullpen arms which is more than just about any school in the country can say.

I would pitch Madden 4-5 innings and pair him with Witt for 2-3 maybe even 4 innings (pending how long Madden lasts) and then hand the game over to Aaron. Then on Saturday you are hoping Stevens gets you into the 6 or 7th and you still have a fresh Cole, Lucas, Wenzel, Shifflet, and maybe Aaron is available for an inning. Then Sunday you have Witt again and more than likely the rest of your pen in some capacity minus maybe Aaron. The game is fluid so it won't go exactly like that obviously but that is the framework I would operate in.

Tanner Witt this season against Arkansas/SCAR/A&M/TCU/Tech/OKST/WVU which to this point have either been the best teams we have played and/or something on the line: 18.2 IP, 2 ER, 30 strikeouts, and 5 walks... That is elite, we should be riding him. I know he allowed 4 base runners against Arky but when a Freshman comes in for his first D1 action ever and records 5 outs against the best team in the country, all by strikeout, you have something special.

I like this idea a lot but there’s still a detail between Klopps and Witt. The stats are there Witt but if you look at the bigger picture, you can see that he still reveals his age. Kopps is a red shirt senior. Take tcu for example, Witt came in and gave us two damn good innings but came out in the ninth and walked the first and gave up a hit next AB. Now this example is predicted a bit on how Pierce handled the situation but I think most of us thought bringing Witt back out with the stuff he had going was the right call. You still can’t walk the first batter in that situation.  There’s been other instances where his maturity wasn’t where it should be against lesser opponents. The minute he gets rattled or in trouble, Pierce is calling to the pen. I’m there with you on his ability and stuff because it’s there, I’m just not quite there trusting his mental maturity for 3-4 innings on Saturday and another 3 on Sunday. The situation is fluid like you stated so he may only need to go for a total of 5 inning in series or maybe more. 

Pete also is just now getting to the point where he has the ability to go deep and that hasn’t been tested to a larger degree, yet.