West Virginia @ Texas Series Thread

Horny Bull

3 hours ago, DoneWithit said:

We are having a discussion about the team...on the baseball thread. What would like us to talk about? 

I’m all for it, I’m not for repeating the same obnoxious fucking argument. Madden didn’t have his stuff tonight. Shitit happens. It’s a new day and we got stevens and Hanson next 2 games. Stevens kind of reminds me of Nathan Thornhill. Just a competitor with some nasty stuff that’s hard to square up on. Hanson has gotten better every outing for the last like 6 weeks. We still got Nixon, Gordon and Quintanilla and maybe 15 more pitches from Witt on Saturday. The chances of us winning the next two games are pretty high. And it wouldn’t surprise me if tcu gets swept so we can win that precious conference title that means Jack fuck if we don’t get out of our regional(we will. You’ve got battered Longhorn fan syndrome which is understandable over the last decade. 

Ice up maddens arm, make sure he stretches like a mother fucker every day till the winners bracket in our regional,have him throw 60-70 pitches in the big 12 tournament and hopefully that small break loosens up his arm and we get mid season madden. 

Pitching, defense and 2 our hitting gets you to Omaha. Our fan base should know that better than anyone 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

Fucking Machinator in here repping posts about Ty being pulled as our ace. 

Some of y'all need to chill. Trying to cheer for a team in the NBA playoffs would give half of you an aneurysm by game 2. 

Wait what!?!? Surelys own artificial intelligence is agreeing our clear ace and team leaders should no longer be our ace!?!? What the mother fuck. Madden will eat whatever 2/3 seed alive in the regionals after Kubichech eats 7 innings against Texas southern or Mercer or whoever.

Though, I am warming up to the idea of Kub, Stevens then Madden to finish em off. Same with the supers. Stevens game 1 then our first rounder in game 2 would be fucking filthy  

7 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Wait what!?!? Surelys own artificial intelligence is agreeing our clear ace and team leaders should no longer be our ace!?!? What the mother fuck. Madden will eat whatever 2/3 seed alive in the regionals after Kubichech eats 7 innings against Texas southern or Mercer or whoever.

Though, I am warming up to the idea of Kub, Stevens then Madden to finish em off. Same with the supers. Stevens game 1 then our first rounder in game 2 would be fucking filthy  

Yeah well some people think you need to be the 56 Yankees to win a CWS title. 

Edited by ztejas

14 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

When the "#2 Team In The Nation" doesn't even win their conference, something is not right. Can we go on and win the NC? Sure. But something is amiss.

Flame away.

Not a flame, but 1 ranked Texas came in third in the Big XII in 2005, behind corn and rapelor.

That said, while I think this is the best Texas team in quite some time, it doesn't quite feel to me like a NC team. A big part of that is that it doesn't feel quite like we have "built" to this point as was the case in prior NC seasons.  Of course, we didn't have last season to see where we were, so maybe we have built to this point  We shall see, though.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Not a flame, but 1 ranked Texas came in third in the Big XII in 2005.

There it is. No reason to worry. Everything is fine. 

2002?

That said, while I think this is the best Texas team in quite some time, it doesn't quite feel to me like a NC team. A big part of that is that it doesn't feel quite like we have "built" to this point as was the case in prior NC seasons.  We shall see, though.

Agreed.

Edited by Steel Shank
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, ztejas said:

All of you are going to look like such big, lumbering, clueless idiots when we win the national championship.

I'll gladly eat crow.

Plus, I'm already a clueless idiot so I'm just doing what a clueless idiot does.

Edited by Steel Shank
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

Guest Lobo
3 minutes ago, WBT said:

We're not going to win the conference?

We still can, but we kinda blew our best chance last night.  K-State did what we needed them to do and beat TCU.  We would have, with the tie-breaker, become the leader in the league.  We can still win it by winning this WVU series and having K-State upset a fading TCU one more time in Manhattan.  I wouldn't hold my breath.  

Today looks overcast and humid, but should be able to get in the evening game.  Saturday from sunrise to sunset looks very rainy with lots of lightning (I'll defer to PhDhorn).  That game will likely be stopped/started a few times by the looks of the forecast.  They could get in a double-header today.  WVU has a hard stop to get out of town Saturday night because of their quick turnaround back to OKC on Monday.  Unless their team packed extra jammies.  

3 hours ago, Fletch said:

leslie-nielsen-airplane.jpg?w=530

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

They should set up a rasslin' ring off to the side at ACL. We could headline. Calamitous Monster vs Clueless Idiot. Chicks would dig it.

26 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

I would obviously need directions to the ring.

I'm actually starting to crush it solo singing while on acoustic guitar. Chicks would dig that too. I'd cut you in. 

44 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

They should set up a rasslin' ring off to the side at ACL. We could headline. Calamitous Monster vs Clueless Idiot. Chicks would dig it.

Can I be Lumbering Big Guy? No one claimed lumbering or big yet. And I'm both big and lumbering, so the I'll need an XXXL unitard, or whatever those things are called.

23 minutes ago, 1leggedduck said:

Can I be Lumbering Big Guy? No one claimed lumbering or big yet. And I'm both big and lumbering, so the I'll need an XXXL unitard, or whatever those things are called.

You're in.

PS You know Guerrero Carpet Cleaning on South 1st (just north of Oltorf) had a one legged duck that hung out in the office. I asked if it shit on their carpets and was told yes it did. 

/csb

A few points on review. Only two umps go in for the review. I’m assuming they both have to agree to overturn. I’m not sure that is the correct approach. I don’t think the ump involved is 100% included. He should be. Yes, he may be defensive but above all he should be professional. There is value is understanding the perspective on the actual call. And we’re not saving time by having 2 versus 3 review it. Nothing significant anyway.

Is there anyone familiar with the establishment of the review process?

There’s not much to justify overturning that call last night. And it might just flat out be wrong.

I missed it live so had to rewind. I’d like to see it again as much for curiosity sake as anything. And how people see things differently. I was not 100% certain he touched the plate or missed it. But I am convinced as of now that it was close enough that you wouldn’t get 100% agreement.

Like I mentioned, I’m not a fan of the way the process is done.

23 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I missed the game from the 5th inning on with work obligations..

How in the heck did we lose to West Virginie?

Why? 

Madden had a bad day.

Bad day at the plate with RISP - some of it luck, some of it poor ABs.

Umps overturned a potential game-tying run based on questionable replay evidence (even if the call was "correct").

Taking my dad to this game. He's old and getting on in years, but he is a die hard Longhorn baseball fan since 1950. He's seen a lot of wins at the Disch and hasn't been able to be back for several years due to health reasons. He has surgery on Tuesday to correct a heart issue, but he was like a school boy when I told him I have tickets. Getting old sucks. 

Let's get this shit back on track and whip some ass today! Hook 'em Horns! 🤘

Edited by Droopy
  • Hook 'Em 3

Cam probably shouldn’t have tried to score on that because it bounced right back to the catcher. Pretty hard to score on that.

20/20 hindsight. 

Also a killer was the double play off of Zubia’s line drive to the first baseman.

Edited by jw4381

18 minutes ago, jw4381 said:

Cam probably shouldn’t have tried to score on that because it bounced right back to the catcher. Pretty hard to score on that.

20/20 hindsight. 

Jesus fuck I can tell some of you never played baseball. 

Cam was probably halfway down the line before the catcher caught that perfect bounce. Once the ball sailed over his head Cam was running. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I thought about that play a lot and man if it wasn't just the shittiest luck all around. There was nothing Cam could do other than be faster. 

You ALWAYS take off from 3rd if the ball sails 3 feet over the catcher's head. Not only did it get the perfect bounce for the catcher, but he also made a perfect toss to the pitcher. Had Cam's slide been 2 inches closer to the plate so he could reach it, he would've been tagged out. 

Whichever LHN cameraman had that great shot of him missing the plate should be fired though. You gotta pour water on your camera Homer Simpson style as soon as the ump makes the safe call. 

Edited by NorthLoop
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

55 minutes ago, Sheriff Bart said:

Madden needs more than 2 pitches especially in the playoffs. Look at what the last place team did to him last night. 

If he's driving his fastball downhill into the bottom of the zone, his slider-fastball combo is dominant. I missed last night game, but his issue lately has been controlling the fastball. He's been throwing too many balls with it, and then finding the zone at dick height.

Madden had a bad day.
Bad day at the plate with RISP - some of it luck, some of it poor ABs.
Umps overturned a potential game-tying run based on questionable replay evidence (even if the call was "correct").

Except for the ump, wasn’t this the same deal against Tech in game 1, plus shitty ass base running?

5 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Not a flame, but 1 ranked Texas came in third in the Big XII in 2005, behind corn and rapelor.

That said, while I think this is the best Texas team in quite some time, it doesn't quite feel to me like a NC team. A big part of that is that it doesn't feel quite like we have "built" to this point as was the case in prior NC seasons.  Of course, we didn't have last season to see where we were, so maybe we have built to this point  We shall see, though.

Nor in 2014. Pitching and defense my friends. Shit I don’t think we gave up more than 4 runs in a post season game till we faced Vanderbilt in the winners bracket  

34 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Jesus fuck I can tell some of you never played baseball. 

Cam was probably halfway down the line before the catcher caught that perfect bounce. Once the ball sailed over his head Cam was running. 

Yes, and it was correct.

People saying it was obviously wrong because it didn't work: you don't judge probabilities by one outcome.  If I get all my chips in with AA and get called with KK and he hits a K, that doesn't make him right and me wrong.  I was the 80/20 favorite and I'll do it again every chance I get.

When the ball gets past the catcher all the way to the wall and you have Cam's wheels, you go.  It's probably better than 80/20.  He had to decide before seeing that the catcher got a fortunate bounce and it still took a good throw and a good tag and Cam still damn near beat it.

Of course you go there.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Hook 'Em 2

Maybe don't give up three bombs (including one to their 9 hole) instead of arguing about a call

I always find this an interesting take in reference to replay. A player/team is to not make mistakes in critical situations but that is less important than officials erring even with replay?

The biggest play actually was Anticos pop up. One - his job is to plate the run. Two - he obviously didn’t bust it out of the box or he makes 2nd. If he’s on 2nd, then Daly doesn’t get two pitchouts and that whole sequence is different. Maybe he walks and gets doubled off. Maybe he doesn’t. The best of teams generally succeed in getting that run home.

Then Hodo also got a little lazy on the single to right that he bobbled and got an error. Even with the bobble, if he comes up throwing, he’s got a chance to get him out and effectively keep that runoff the board.

And we have Melendez swinging at a terrible 2-0 pitch-in the 9th. If it’s 3-0, that’s completely different.

That’s the thing with sports. Each play/decision can immediately impact the next play.

In baseball, it is uncommon to take runs off the board. And my hope is the loss brings a certain focus for the remainder of the season., which could be to our benefit. And for that call, I’m questioning the process more than the outcome. But I’ll drop that discussion point.
  • Hook 'Em 5

13 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

I always find this an interesting take in reference to replay. A player/team is to not make mistakes in critical situations but that is less important than officials erring even with replay?

The biggest play actually was Anticos pop up. One - his job is to plate the run. Two - he obviously didn’t bust it out of the box or he makes 2nd. If he’s on 2nd, then Daly doesn’t get two pitchouts and that whole sequence is different. Maybe he walks and gets doubled off. Maybe he doesn’t. The best of teams generally succeed in getting that run home.

Then Hodo also got a little lazy on the single to right that he bobbled and got an error. Even with the bobble, if he comes up throwing, he’s got a chance to get him out and effectively keep that runoff the board.

And we have Melendez swinging at a terrible 2-0 pitch-in the 9th. If it’s 3-0, that’s completely different.

That’s the thing with sports. Each play/decision can immediately impact the next play.

In baseball, it is uncommon to take runs off the board. And my hope is the loss brings a certain focus for the remainder of the season., which could be to our benefit. And for that call, I’m questioning the process more than the outcome. But I’ll drop that discussion point.

Yeah. Madden had an off night. It happens. Getting fucked by an ump who’s paid to make the correct call is unacceptable. Especially at home. If roles were reversed and we were playing at West Virginia, I’d totally expect them to call the West Virginia runner safe cause homecooking 

36 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Does Pierce analyze this like is done on surly?

8 hours ago, Fletch said:

I’m all for it, I’m not for repeating the same obnoxious fucking argument. Madden didn’t have his stuff tonight. Shitit happens. It’s a new day and we got stevens and Hanson next 2 games. Stevens kind of reminds me of Nathan Thornhill. Just a competitor with some nasty stuff that’s hard to square up on. Hanson has gotten better every outing for the last like 6 weeks. We still got Nixon, Gordon and Quintanilla and maybe 15 more pitches from Witt on Saturday. The chances of us winning the next two games are pretty high. And it wouldn’t surprise me if tcu gets swept so we can win that precious conference title that means Jack fuck if we don’t get out of our regional(we will. You’ve got battered Longhorn fan syndrome which is understandable over the last decade. 

Ice up maddens arm, make sure he stretches like a mother fucker every day till the winners bracket in our regional,have him throw 60-70 pitches in the big 12 tournament and hopefully that small break loosens up his arm and we get mid season madden. 

Pitching, defense and 2 our hitting gets you to Omaha. Our fan base should know that better than anyone 

This is the last I’m going to post about it because I don’t want to continue to beat a dead horse but it wasn’t just one bad start. Like I said last night he has a 5.09 ERA in his last 4 starts. Does that mean he can’t turn it around? No. Do I hope he does turn it around? Obviously we all do. That being said his fastball was down to 92-94 last night after having not pitched for 13 days, rest was not an issue which IMO makes what we saw last night that much more concerning that his fastball was down as much as 6 mph.

Now here’s to hoping the boys bounce back tonight behind Stevens which I believe they will, win tomorrow, have a nice 40 win regular season, and lock up a top 4-5 seed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

Yes, and it was correct.

People saying it was obviously wrong because it didn't work: you don't judge probabilities by one outcome.  If I get all my chips in with AA and get called with KK and he hits a K, that doesn't make him right and me wrong.  I was the 80/20 favorite and I'll do it again every chance I get.

When the ball gets past the catcher all the way to the wall and you have Cam's wheels, you go.  It's probably better than 80/20.  He had to decide before seeing that the catcher got a fortunate bounce and it still took a good throw and a good tag and Cam still damn near beat it.

Of course you go there.

This. As a baserunner, you're off the second you see the ball is going to the wall. With the perfect bounce he didn't even have a chance to get back to third as the catcher could have thrown back and gotten him in a run-down. It's also almost impossible to make that decision in the heat of the moment.

I got caught out like that once in High School, except the ball was in the dirt, went all the way to the backstop, went UNDER the pad, and hit the concrete at the base of the backstop and bounced straight back to the catcher. He had barely turned around to chase it, and it came straight back to him. He didn't even have to throw back to the pitcher covering the plate...just took a step back toward the plate and I was dead meat. 

• Hook 'Em 1