Big 12 Tournament Thread

Horny Bull

15 minutes ago, Lobo said:

also a few posts above, I said pull for WVU in their game with OSU.  But that's incorrect.  We need WVU to lose to OSU and face us Friday night with a more gassed pitching staff.  We then could head off to make trouble for OSU on Saturday.  We may have an opportunity to face a team on Saturday night who will have to play 4 games in 36 hours if the Game 14 is not necessary for the other bracket.  

Again... I don't think it makes a shit. Either we beat ourselves or we don't until we run into Tech or TCU. 

Guest Lobo

Ideally, we'll play West Virginia tomorrow evening.  And then play Oklahoma State on Saturday at 12:30p, and again at 4:00p on Saturday meaning they'd have to play 27 innings in 27 hours, not an easy task given their pitching staff.  

I know OSU threw Campbell last night.  Not sure who they were gonna throw tonight (now tomorrow)...I'm guessing Parker to stay in the winner's bracket.  Osmond and Wrobleski are two guys we can hit, but their overall staff gave us fits even though we won that series in Stillwater.  Had only 15 hits the whole weekend. 

I guess it wouldn't be so bad if OSU loses, we take them out tomorrow night.  Because I know for damn sure we could toast WVU's pitching staff over the course of a Saturday double-header.  

Edited by Lobo

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Ideally, we'll play West Virginia tomorrow evening.  And then play Oklahoma State on Saturday at 12:30p, and again at 4:00p on Saturday meaning they'd have to play 27 innings in 27 hours, not an easy task given their pitching staff.  

I would rather we get OSU and have Hansen beat them. Then face Wolf-less WV twice.

But that is really unlikely to happen.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Guest Lobo

WVU has nothing to lose right now, and a man from the hills of Appalachia with nothing to lose can be a dangerous thing.  

Due to their thinning staff, they have to stay in the winner's bracket to have any chance of getting Wolff the ball on Sunday to win this thing and get an auto-bid.  So tomorrow's game with OSU is a must-win for them even though they haven't lost yet.  They'll do whatever it takes.  They can't be forced to play two games tomorrow and possibly two games Saturday with their current rotation/bullpen.  They're counting on one game each day at this point, it's their only hope and I think they'll task their pitching staff with that objective.  Otherwise, it's futile......they're hill people but they ain't stupid.  

We're just gonna have to hit the fucking ball when people with our shirts on are standing around the white squares in the field tomorrow night.  And then let our deep pitching beat OK-State all day Saturday.  

21 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Back to back games for OSU/WV. Very nice.

Sweet. We may back into a trophy I don’t really care about, but fuck it. Let’s start a win streak that isn’t snapped till ooc play next year 🤘

If you’re legit trying to win it, you use Hansen against OSU whether that is next game or the one after that. To win it all, we’re going to play both WVU and OSU.

The batting order needs to based on matchups and who is hitting. That’s a little more difficult when you’re not hitting.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

Because I know for damn sure we could toast WVU's pitching staff over the course of a Saturday double-header.  

Yeah. WVU got hammered in games 2 and 3 of that series. 

As for whether we wait to play Hansen or not - it depends on how confident we are in our hitting. Kubichek hasn't been great as of late and even against WVU there's a chance they put 4 or 5 on the board against him before either team gets to the pen. 

Plus - the earlier Hansen goes the more rest he gets before regionals. 

It really is up to how much we want to win this tourney (like @Had Enough said). If we are playing it cautious for regionals then I think Hansen goes either way. If we are really trying to get a pitching advantage against OSU to take some pressure off our bats then maybe we do wait to play him. 

And fuck... our game tomorrow might end up starting late as shit. 

Edited by ztejas

Guest Lobo

I really wouldn't worry about how much rest Hansen gets.  If he goes tomorrow, he won't pitch again until maybe Sunday of the regional so 9 days of rest.  That's probably gonna go ahead and be sufficient.  Until that start, it'll mean he's started 2 games in 28 days...so he should probably be okay.  

Fuck all of that shit.
We need to start hitting the ball especially with runners on base.
Not going to Omaha without that period.

Lot of people are going to be angry you’ve criticized our shitty batting with men on vase, not to mention base running and getting picked off. I distinctly remember Angie not appreciating getting picked off. But what do I know. I should stick to Food and Travel. Loll!!!

Love,
Steel Shank

Imo the goal from here is to get far enough in that balls deep into our pen gets some pressure innings. Maybe we trip over 1-2 more guys we can kinda trust that will make a difference in the regional or omaha. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Steel Shank said:

Lot of people are going to be angry you’ve criticized our shitty batting with men on vase, not to mention base running and getting picked off. I distinctly remember Angie not appreciating getting picked off. But what do I know. I should stick to Food and Travel. Loll!!!

Love,
Steel Shank

I think most who follow baseball just don't get the *throws hands up in the air* "We suck" because of two games. It is just a dumbass take. Texas is averaging 6.7 runs per game, you don't score 6.7 runs per game by not hitting with men on base. That is the way baseball goes sometimes.

Base running has been an atrocious trend since the TCU series so that is fair.

• Hook 'Em 3

56 minutes ago, chase25 said:

I think most who follow baseball just don't get the *throws hands up in the air* "We suck" because of two games. It is just a dumbass take. Texas is averaging 6.7 runs per game, you don't score 6.7 runs per game by not hitting with men on base. That is the way baseball goes sometimes.

We got struck out like 42 times today and still got 4 on the board. 

I think the issue is that our hitting is a little icy-hot. Maybe more so than a typical college ball team's would be. And we also do dumbass shit both at the plate and between bases that leads to runners being left on base.   

If we clean that stuff up and get hot at the right time this team will win a national championship. But cleaning all of that up and getting hot may or may not happen and probably best case we get one or the other or a little of both. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Lobo said:

I really wouldn't worry about how much rest Hansen gets.  If he goes tomorrow, he won't pitch again until maybe Sunday of the regional so 9 days of rest.  That's probably gonna go ahead and be sufficient.  Until that start, it'll mean he's started 2 games in 28 days...so he should probably be okay.  

Time to run the biorhythm analysis software to decide who should start late Friday night...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I need to be more comfortable going 6-5 in our last 11 games. I’m trying.

7 hours ago, ztejas said:

If we clean that stuff up and get hot at the right time this team will win a national championship.

Problem is that shitty base running can just as easily cost us that title.  To me that’s the biggest weakness we have and it a momentum killler when pierce makes some of those calls. We could have killed a couple teams but for that this year. 

and to whom ever was saying the” I don’t get the we lost two games and doom and gloom” I’m with you. 
I didn’t start watching baseball until the Florida national championship season  and even my new to baseball ass knows that that is the way the ball rolls sometimes in baseball.   

I know Cam Wiiliams is adventure everytime he goes around the diamond and we are a little too aggressive trying to score from 3rd, but I don't see how you could look at our baserunning metrics and call it shitty. We advance runners really well overall.

11 hours ago, B00M said:

Imo the goal from here is to get far enough in that balls deep into our pen gets some pressure innings. Maybe we trip over 1-2 more guys we can kinda trust that will make a difference in the regional or omaha. 

Pull a 2014. Bunch of 3-1 and 4-1 games and boom. Extra innings away from playing for it all. And along with my Kennedy prediction, I think Lucas Gordon is gonna come up huge when we need him and I feel like Kubicheck is gonna go all Chad Hollingsworth at some point. Just refuse to lose 

Edited by Fletch

48 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I know Cam Wiiliams is adventure everytime he goes around the diamond and we are a little too aggressive trying to score from 3rd, but I don't see how you could look at our baserunning metrics and call it shitty. We advance runners really well overall.

Good point.  It's not objectively shitty because we've got a lot of speed and the associated steals.

But the inning-killing attempts from third and some of the complete wtfs on the basepaths after hits may not show up in the metrics and really stick in one's mind, like a brain tumor, or embolism.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Pull a 2014. Bunch of 3-1 and 4-1 games and boom. Extra innings away from playing for it all. And along with my Kennedy prediction, I think Lucas Gordon is gonna come up huge when we need him and I feel like Kubicheck is gonna go all Chad Hollingsworth at some point. Just refuse to lose 

Southard, Shifflet, and Wenzel in spots.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Yeah we're gonna need a lot out of those guys. I think Southard could be huge for us. 

Yeah, with these kind of back up dudes with Nix, Witt and Quintanilla, we got the arms and the defense to keep us in pretty much every game  

1 hour ago, NorthLoop said:

Yeah we're gonna need a lot out of those guys. I think Southard could be huge for us. 

Wonder if Southard pissed someone off at some point? His numbers certainly point to more opportunities during conference play.

7 minutes ago, zlavydra said:

Wonder if Southard pissed someone off at some point? His numbers certainly point to more opportunities during conference play.

Yeah I got that feeling too. He's got good stuff and a 0.0 ERA and it feels like we went a solid 5 or 6 weeks without an appearance. 

Guest Lobo
4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Craig Way on 104.9 just shitting on this ballpark and saying how much better Globe Life would be. 

7-2 Frogs bottom 8 btw.

I think the contract for the conference tournament stays with OKC because it allows proximity for the Iowa State program.