Hawaii big island volcano eruption and earthquake

zork

From that article:

“Also over the weekend, lava apparently evaporated Green Lake, which was the largest freshwater lake in the islands. By about 10 a.m. Saturday, lava had crawled into Kapoho Crater, creating a huge steam plume when it hit Green Lake.

The plume had ceased by 1:30 p.m. and an aerial assessment revealed the lava appeared to have filled the lake and evaporated all the water. Green Lake is believed to be four centuries old, and at least one study put its depth at 200 feet in spots.”

Hory shit

7 hours ago, Panama Red said:

From that article:

“Also over the weekend, lava apparently evaporated Green Lake, which was the largest freshwater lake in the islands. By about 10 a.m. Saturday, lava had crawled into Kapoho Crater, creating a huge steam plume when it hit Green Lake.

The plume had ceased by 1:30 p.m. and an aerial assessment revealed the lava appeared to have filled the lake and evaporated all the water. Green Lake is believed to be four centuries old, and at least one study put its depth at 200 feet in spots.”

Hory shit

Pele was thirsty

I don't think we need a separate volcano board (yet), and not even a thread for every active volcano.....
So I'll put these photos of the Guatemala volcano in this thread, and thereby declaring it the meta-volcano thread!

These are photos from a guy I went to HS with, he has worked on courses around the world, including the La Reunion course in Guatemala.
Here are the before & after photos he sent showing their clubhouse and you will also notice that course isn't going to green up any time soon.

Before_the_eruption.jpg

After_the_eruption.jpg

1 hour ago, Wally Fairway said:

I don't think we need a separate volcano board (yet), and not even a thread for every active volcano.....
So I'll put these photos of the Guatemala volcano in this thread, and thereby declaring it the meta-volcano thread!

These are photos from a guy I went to HS with, he has worked on courses around the world, including the La Reunion course in Guatemala.
Here are the before & after photos he sent showing their clubhouse and you will also notice that course isn't going to green up any time soon.

Before_the_eruption.jpg

After_the_eruption.jpg

talk about yer winter of discontent

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2018 at 10:10 AM, Wally Fairway said:

Before_the_eruption.jpg

After_the_eruption.jpg

The whole course looks like a sand trap. I'm thinking that I couldn't hit par.

On 6/7/2018 at 10:10 AM, Wally Fairway said:

Before_the_eruption.jpg

After_the_eruption.jpg

Do fuckers not even rake anymore?  Is this a thing now?  For fuck's sake....

59 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Yeah.... that shit takes a left turn and those fuckers wouldn’t even know they were fried dumbass.  

That is what I was thinking.  Waaaay too close for comfort given the unpredictability factor.

Also, total agreement on the 'Holy Shit' factor.  Wow.

• 4 weeks later...

Video in this report shows a time lapse the crater collapse, the collapse sequence starts at about 0:30 and then a lava boat

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/38627191/10-weeks-after-eruptions-started-lava-covers-more-homes-school

And I'm seeing that a new island is starting, although it will likely reconnect to the Big Island.
A closer view of the new "island," which was estimated to be just a few meters offshore, and perhaps 6-9 meters (20-30 ft) in diameter.

On 6/7/2018 at 8:10 AM, Wally Fairway said:

Before_the_eruption.jpg

After_the_eruption.jpg

Yeah, but think about how well those greens are going to drain. Once the grass takes.

Hey lets get on a tour boat and go see the lava flowing into the ocean!

What could go wrong?

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/38655817/at-least-23-injured-after-lava-explosion-near-tour-boat-off-big-island

37340499_2048456285195602_36111907384920

At least 13 people on a Hawaiian Lava Boat Tours vessel were injured this morning after an explosion sent lava through the roof of the boat’s passenger cabin. Officers from the DLNR Division of Conservation and Resources Enforcement (DOCARE) along with the Hawai‘i County Police Dept. are investigating the incident.

The tours ...depart from the Wailoa Small Boat Harbor in Hilo at 4 a.m. daily. Prior to the beginning of the East Rift Zone Eruption event, tours left from the Pohoiki Boat Ramp, which now is within ½ mile of the active ocean entrance.

• 4 years later...