Hawaii big island volcano eruption and earthquake

zork

An eruption from the Kilauea volcano's summit shot ash and smoke into the air early Thursday on Hawaii's Big Island, and the resulting plume is expected to cover the surrounding area, according to the Hawaiian Volcano Observatory.

The volcanic cloud reached 30,000 feet, the US Geological Survey said. That's a little below the cruising altitude of a jetliner.

Mutha fuckin' link

7 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

Sometimes you just have to have priorities in life

volcano_1920_embed_kilauea_golf_swing.jp

https://www.golfchannel.com/article/grill-room/photo-man-golfs-face-erupting-volcano/

I was going to post in the golf thread, but no one there would think this is unusual

I don't think the heavy stuff's going to come down for quite a while

• Like 4

On 5/7/2018 at 1:06 PM, Wally Fairway said:

or on the coast, in a hurricane prone region

or in Calfornia, right on major fault lines

or anywhere in TornadOklahoma

Why do they do snow rescues in Michigan?

people should have fucking known...

Edited by slorch

The craziest most awful thing about this is that giant fissures spewing lava just appeared in these folks' backyards. Holy hell, I'm mowing the lawn and Hades just cracks open in front of me?!?

Yesterday, they had a story about a guy hanging on his back porch and a glob of lava "splatter" just up and splashed this dude's leg, crushing and destroying it. Now that the lava has reached the ocean, there's the additional concern people will essentially be breathing acid with tiny shards of glass and shredding their lungs.

Fuck all that. I'd rather risk the infrequent tornadoes we get around these parts.

9 hours ago, slorch said:

Why do they do snow rescues in Michigan?

people should have fucking known...

If that was a thing I would agree, but I've never heard of a snow rescue - now those idiots who get stranded when they go ice fishing and the ice starts to break, yeah they have to pay for their rescue (or at least they get billed, I doubt they can actually pay the bill)

Seriously, they were allowed to build subdivision next to Volacano National Park - that seems like a bad idea, at least for now.

Puna Geothermal Plant now has lava on site
And emergency workers are racing to the site; I'm amazed at how this and a charter school are having emergency actions today (maybe yesterday) .... like this hasn't been building up for a month.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hawaii-kileaua-volcano-lava-flows-into-power-plant-sparking-fears-of-deadly-gas-release/

between the lava, the ash and now this - I don't think anyone is going to be buying property in Lower Puna anytime soon

16822538_G.jpg

and obviously the ash or acidic clouds are not healthy for the grass, because last week all the yards looked very lush

Edited by Wally Fairway

Really feel sorry for those losing their homes and property.  I haven't heard of any reported deaths or injuries. 

But it looks like this volcano has produced some of the most spectacular photos and videos of any volcano eruption we have ever seen.  

13 hours ago, Stella Link said:

Really feel sorry for those losing their homes and property.  I haven't heard of any reported deaths or injuries. 

But it looks like this volcano has produced some of the most spectacular photos and videos of any volcano eruption we have ever seen.  

A guy got hit in the leg by a lava bomb. It snapped his his leg right above his ankle. He said the only thing holding his foot on was his Achilles’ tendon and some flesh on the back of his leg. Said the doctors had to dig rocks out of his leg before attempting to reattach the foot. 

22 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

between the lava, the ash and now this - I don't think anyone is going to be buying property in Lower Puna anytime soon

16822538_G.jpg

and obviously the ash or acidic clouds are not healthy for the grass, because last week all the yards looked very lush

video of that house starts at about 1:05

5 hours ago, heso said:

A guy got hit in the leg by a lava bomb. It snapped his his leg right above his ankle. He said the only thing holding his foot on was his Achilles’ tendon and some flesh on the back of his leg. Said the doctors had to dig rocks out of his leg before attempting to reattach the foot. 

Story

12 hours ago, heso said:

sounds like b.s