Afghan War ending, foretold by The Onion 10 years Ago [DT thread ruined by politics]

crash_davis

Circling back 

5 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

gonna guess strategically they couldn't get them out safely or they are staying to finish an important function. Or we fucked up a little bit. 250+/- is 0.2% of the US population they were trying to evacuate. 99.8% is pretty fucking good.

You suck at math 

250/6000= 4% left behind 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 6

5 minutes ago, 'stache said:

From a few quotes I've seen (including one posted above) it looks like there were diplomatic issues, which could be a million things, but essentially they could not be easily taken to the airport for departure. I agree, a 99%+ rate within a matters of weeks is pretty impressive. And if the Taliban really wants to be treated as legitimate, they should be willing to work with us diplomatically on whoever didn't make it out.

double my pleasure, double my fun

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68

4 minutes ago, 'stache said:

From a few quotes I've seen (including one posted above) it looks like there were diplomatic issues, which could be a million things, but essentially they could not be easily taken to the airport for departure. I agree, a 99%+ rate within a matters of weeks is pretty impressive. And if the Taliban really wants to be treated as legitimate, they should be willing to work with us diplomatically on whoever didn't make it out.

right, because we don't need boots on the ground to drone strike they ass

4 minutes ago, Lagunamadre said:

I think there is a large chunk of those 250 that chose not to leave for whatever reason, duel-citizenship Afghans, Christian missionaries, Americans sympathetic to the Taliban, ambitious journalists, etc. Then I'm sure there is a large chunk that were not in Kabul, who could not make it to Kabul because of Taliban check points. I would think it is a very small number of Americans who were in Kabul who were not able to get into the airport considering the 10's of thousands that were able to make it through. Obviously, I feel terrible for any American who is stuck there who wanted to get out, but at the same time, they had many months of warning that this was coming, at some point some level of personal responsibility has to be borne by each of them. It's not like they were on vacation at Disney World and they woke up under Taliban control. 

At one point, Blinken mentioned not all ~1200 remaining (over the weekend) wanted to leave. 

2 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

you suck at life. We evacuated 122k Americans. There are ~250 Americans left who, according to the State Dept, want to be evacuated. 250/122250=0.2%.

Oh you mean this number? I’m talking Americans. 

• Fuck You 1

you suck at life. We evacuated 122k Americans. There are ~250 Americans left who, according to the State Dept, want to be evacuated. 250/122250=0.2%.

I think its 122K people, that vast majority of which were allies and not necessarily American citizens. So yes, very high percentage of people we wanted out for whatever reason. And the ones left behind had reasons that can still be addressed.

https://www.reuters.com/world/india/rockets-fired-kabul-airport-us-troops-race-complete-evacuation-2021-08-30/

Edited by 'stache
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I think its 122K people, that vast majority of which were allies and not necessarily American citizens. So yes, very high percentage of people we wanted out for whatever reason. And the ones left behind had reasons that can still be addressed.

https://www.reuters.com/world/india/rockets-fired-kabul-airport-us-troops-race-complete-evacuation-2021-08-30/

Pretty sure that number is military. could be wrong, though: https://news.sky.com/story/how-many-people-have-been-evacuated-from-afghanistan-12395265

shit, yeah, I misread. 122k evacuated BY the US. muh bad. I'll take my caning in the corner

So, 5400/5650=95.6%. We still got a fucking A on the test.

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68

An A on the test? First of all, tell that to the people we wanted to get out and didn’t (quote from our military). And second of all, we would all be crushing Trump if he had left hundreds of Americans behind to satisfy an arbitrary date for optics. And rightly so.

I don’t understand why we didn’t go with the Ash plan. “Alright you primitive screwheads, listen up! We spend $700B a year on our military. Now I swear, the next one of you primates even touches one of our people and I’ll bring $500B of it back here. Good. Bad. I’m the guy with the gun. We’ll tell you when we’re finished.”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Apologies if this has been covered, but why are we letting the Taliban set the terms for pulling out? Why the arbitrary deadline if there are hundreds of Americans left behind?

It is my understanding that the Taliban was going to stop playing nice with us after the 31'st. It's easy to have a knee jerk Team America World Police reaction to that, and say fuck them let's kick their ass. Problem with that is in order to adequately fight the Taliban, who is now in full control of the country, we would have to have a massive troop surge into the country, which would obviously have the opposite effect of our intended withdrawal.  So we were left with getting out prior to our agreed upon deadline, or get ready to fight, the latter of which we've been doing for 20 years to no avail. If our goal was to get out, then we needed to do it prior to the deadline or face more dead American soldiers and a tit for tat continuation of a war that the vast majority of American's want no part of anymore. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

It is my understanding that the Taliban was going to stop playing nice with us after the 31'st. It's easy to have a knee jerk Team America World Police reaction to that, and say fuck them let's kick their ass. Problem with that is in order to adequately fight the Taliban, who is now in full control of the country, we would have to have a massive troop surge into the country, which would obviously have the opposite effect of our intended withdrawal.  So we were left with getting out prior to our agreed upon deadline, or get ready to fight, the latter of which we've been doing for 20 years to no avail. If our goal was to get out, then we needed to do it prior to the deadline or face more dead American soldiers and a tit for tat continuation of a war that the vast majority of American's want no part of anymore. 

That’s a pretty reasonable answer. But with as “pragmatic” as the military says that the Taliban has been, I think we could have just told them not to fuck around or we would come back in. There would be no downside to them giving us another week or two to get everyone out since we were leaving and handing over the country anyway.

3 minutes ago, PassiveAggressiveCoach said:

You're really going to love the US hostage videos and the beheading vids of our Afghan allies we promised to take with us. 

Foreign allies of the US can believe us at their own peril. My earlier point stands. This just concluded airlift has no peer in its scale and scope.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, PassiveAggressiveCoach said:

You're really going to love the US hostage videos and the beheading vids of our Afghan allies we promised to take with us. 

I won’t but if it happens no doubt you will rush over here to prove your political point and thus gain 5 internet points.

An A on the test? First of all, tell that to the people we wanted to get out and didn’t (quote from our military). And second of all, we would all be crushing Trump if he had left hundreds of Americans behind to satisfy an arbitrary date for optics. And rightly so.

I don’t understand why we didn’t go with the Ash plan. “Alright you primitive screwheads, listen up! We spend $700B a year on our military. Now I swear, the next one of you primates even touches one of our people and I’ll bring $500B of it back here. Good. Bad. I’m the guy with the gun. We’ll tell you when we’re finished.”

That’s really stupid.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

No, one side.  It’s pretty fucking obvious.

See with GRUHorn I know it’s just a bullshit job where he spreads disinformation around here and the net for a couple bucks a month. He’s an amoral piece of shit but he just don’t care.

But with you, you appear to actually believe the crap you spew here. Especially with all the rage posting. 

Not sure what’s worse. 

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

'Member Benghazi?

I 'member.

How much mileage do you think the GOP will get out of this?

How much mileage will the GOP get out of leaving 5% of Americans.  I’m sure they will beat it into the ground. 

That has nothing to do with Leftists on this board cheering on deaths.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Incredulity said:

How much mileage will the GOP get out of leaving 5% of Americans.  I’m sure they will beat it into the ground. 

That has nothing to do with Leftists on this board cheering on deaths.

You are the one hoping for taliban executions of Americans. So you can win the net that day and blame Biden. Not us.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

You are the one hoping for taliban executions of Americans. So you can win the net that day and blame Biden. Not us.

Quit lying.

edit***

Truly, every accusation is a confession.

Stop projecting.

Edited by Incredulity
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

25 minutes ago, PassiveAggressiveCoach said:

Here’s the post that started it all. 

Spoken as a fact that is about to happen. Obviously intended to be a slam at Biden for something that hasn’t happened but the poster was sure would. 

Incredulity just took that ball and ran with it. 

Fuck both of them. Fucking right wing trolls. 

• Like 1