2021 Open Championship at Royal St George's

Wally Fairway

3 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

No middle ground with Spieth … 

Gave away at least a couple strokes today with poor short game shots just off the greens today.  Hopefully, Jordan will do no worse than par on #18 and be within 2 shots of leader(s) going into Sunday...

9 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Gave away at least a couple strokes today with poor short game shots just off the greens today.  Hopefully, Jordan will do no worse than par on #18 and be within 2 shots of leader(s) going into Sunday...

FUCK ME....

Spieth --  Bogey on #17 and #18

Edited by LTtxfan

18 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

those 2 bogeys on 17 and 18 are gonna cost him the tournament.  just can't do that and expect to win.

I just hope Spieth shoots a final round in the 60's and hopefully gets a Top 5.

He was leaking oil badly on the back 9 today...

from -11 and tied for the lead to being 3 down is a big swing when low numbers are out there.  He's not going to crater and he's not out of it obviously but a 3 shot swing with 18 to play is really pretty big in this situation.

Its Spieth though.  he could shoot anywhere from 64 to 74 tomorrow.

Yeah, I deserved SURLY's criticism for posting comment on Top 5 for Jordan... just a freakin' wild rollercoaster ride watching him play sometimes

Hope Spieth wins another major tomorrow -- might take another "driving range" moment like Wally says.  😋

8 hours ago, TXSooner518 said:

Lol he’s 3 back and in 3rd, the doomers are a bit much. “Hope for a top 5”? giphy.gif

This. He shit the bed on 17 and 18 and tied louis on the day and lost to Collin by 1. Tomorrow is going to be fun.  

Jordan Spieth rues late fade at The Open Championship

July 17, 2021  By Ben Everill, PGATOUR.COM 

SANDWICH, England – Jordan Spieth headed straight to the putting green for a lengthy practice session after a potentially costly flame out late in the third round of The 149th Open.  The three-time major winner had moved into a share of the lead late on Saturday at Royal St. George’s only to bogey the final two holes from great positions, leaving the Texan three shots adrift of Louis Oosthuizen’s lead.

Spieth’s 1-under 69, that included a three-putt bogey from close range on the 18th green, was a roller coaster ride that left him at 9-under 201 for the championship.

Earlier Spieth had reached 12 under through 10 holes and was still sharing top spot with just three holes remaining in his round, despite making bogey on the 11th.  But as Oosthuizen (69, 12-under) and Collin Morikawa (68, 11-under) got after the final holes, Spieth imploded. He came up short with a wedge from the fairway on the 17th, spinning back down a severe false front and was unable to get up and down to save par.  Then after two great shots into the 18th green left him inside 20-feet for birdie, the 2017 Open Champion sent his first putt two-feet past before missing an attempted quick tap-in for par.  “If that was unexpected, (the miss on 18) was shocking. He has to regroup and realize that he didn’t take himself out of the tournament," former champion now NBC analyst Justin Leonard said.

“He was 3 over on his last eight holes…this is the second day in a row that this has happened, just kind of fell asleep a little bit. He has to regroup and realize that he didn’t take himself out of the tournament…the good news is he only has to pass two players.”

But those two are major winners. If he is to do so he will need to overturn some personal history and his form on the closing stretch at the English seaside links course.  Only two of Spieth’s 12 PGA TOUR wins came when he trailed through three rounds. The 2013 John Deere Classic and the 2015 Valspar Championship.

And when it comes to Royal St. George’s – through three rounds Oosthuizen has played the back nine in a cumulative 6 under while Morikawa is 5 under on the same stretch. Spieth, however, is just 1 under.

While Spieth declined media requests in order to have his practice session his words after Friday’s second round still rang true.   “Those last six holes were kind of frustrating… I got in a weird head space, fatigued there on the 13th green as we were waiting and hitting putts. I just didn't stay focused like I was early in the round. Wasn't very sharp.”

He claimed Friday it was an easy fix however the results Saturday told otherwise. Perhaps he found it in the session where coach Cameron McCormick kept a close watch.

Edited by LTtxfan

I have no idea why I do, but I have a feeling that Jordan is going to catch Morikawa and Louis by the turn.  He may not win it, but I say that all three are tied after 10.  I would really love to see Jordan win this, but if he doesn't I will be cheering hardcore for Morikawa.  He's a solid player and there is absolutely no reason to cheer against that guy. 

• Hook 'Em 2

If I were German, I'd go with the man bun. There was a kid yesterday with a shaved head, red shirt, with black letters on the back "Germany".  At least with the man bun, gay or not, you know you're going to be okay with the guy. 

5 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

Good god Jordan hit a bloody green…

well when there's a blade of grass behind the ball that's turned a different direction it may cause the ball to catch this 5 mph wind and cause the ball to drift a foot off line, now if it was a 4 mph wind we may have to change clubs.