What the fuck is wrong with you, Austin?

crash_davis

11 minutes ago, PvilleStang said:

I think it's pointless.  Show me an property that DOESN'T have HVAC.  I think the bigger issue is people who do have HVAC and can't afford to repair it.  Does the city condemn and seize a property of a low income property because the HVAC is in disrepair?  Does the city offer services to help with HVAC repairs or offset emergency after-hour repair services?  It's complete BS because it looks great on paper, but can really hose someone over in the end.

the issue item 88 addresses is what happens when a property (usually a rental property) has a/c and it breaks-  does the landlord have to service or replace the a/c in a timely manner?  as it is in austin right now there are no laws requiring a/c so the owner isn't required to fix it and the tenant can't claim breach of contract and leave without paying a penalty.  

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, PvilleStang said:

I think it's pointless.  Show me an property that DOESN'T have HVAC.  I think the bigger issue is people who do have HVAC and can't afford to repair it.  Does the city condemn and seize a property of a low income property because the HVAC is in disrepair?  Does the city offer services to help with HVAC repairs or offset emergency after-hour repair services?  It's complete BS because it looks great on paper, but can really hose someone over in the end.

This is the exact first thing I thought of. Poor people getting removed from their homes because they can't afford to bring it up to whatever new codes were enacted is a real thing.

9 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

the issue item 88 addresses is what happens when a property (usually a rental property) has a/c and it breaks-  does the landlord have to service or replace the a/c in a timely manner?  as it is in austin right now there are no laws requiring a/c so the owner isn't required to fix it and the tenant can't claim breach of contract and leave without paying a penalty.  

Is the actual code written to explicitly cover rentals or does it jus say "all residences have to have AC"?

edit:

"The City Council initiates amendments to Title 25 (Land Development) to 45 require a residential property owner to provide and maintain refrigerated equipment 46 that is capable of maintaining each habitable room with a temperature that is 47 comfortable and less than the outside temperatures, such as the Delta T standard. 48 When proposing the amendments necessary to implement this requirement, the City 49 Manager is directed to consider stakeholder feedback and industry practices and 50 requirements. "

Edited by Orange&White

6 minutes ago, PvilleStang said:

image.png.08b47d3f20439f35f45d858dc781fb99.png

Your tax dollars hard at work, folks...

I'm fine with this as long as we earmark some of the money for more Moments, to help ease the journey through the city's self-image, between the urban center of business and entertainment to the heart of its natural beauty and enjoyment. Every city needs Moments to strengthen the expression and experience of that type journey. 

image.thumb.png.cb0b7868da21ef90a1945bcdcc05f263.png

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, PvilleStang said:

image.png.08b47d3f20439f35f45d858dc781fb99.png

Your tax dollars hard at work, folks...

I'm not not sure the issue here.

The art in public spaces program has been around since 1985 and new bonds are voted on as part of capital improvements budgets. Some great stuff out there. I think the art by Lamar and 3rd is part of it.

I like that artists can get paid for work that everyone sees. Whether they appreciate it or like it or not that's another story. It is art, so lots of opinions there etc.

Edited by gofuckyourself
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, gofuckyourself said:

The art in public spaces program has been around since 1985 and new bonds are voted on as part of capital improvements budgets. Some great stuff out there. I think the art by Lamar and 3rd is part of it.

I like that artists can get paid for work that everyone sees. Whether they appreciate it or like it or not that's another story. It is art, so lots of opinions there etc.

Wasteful spending, that's the issue.

• Hook 'Em 2

45 minutes ago, gofuckyourself said:

As mentioned above, they can't afford to have pools open, but can afford art for said pools. Which is a better use of the money in the blazing hot hellhole that is Texas in the summer?

Fucking morons. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

On 8/16/2023 at 1:11 PM, gsoda3 said:

it can be done but it's rarely done.  there's a limit as to how much money can be raised thru taxes.  most districts want to raise as much as possible to sustain their operations.  however the recapture threshold (% at which money goes to the state) is reached before that limit so it'd hamstring most districts if they set their tax rate to avoid recapture.

I think I understand what you're saying. Is this right?

The formula is such that: 1) a district becomes obligated to contribute to recapture at a certain percentage of taxes assessed, 2) in order to meet their operational needs, larger districts need to collect significantly more than that threshold, and thus 3) there's no way to completely prevent making themselves obligated to contribute to the state. But maybe that doesn't need to be the goal? Maybe the goal should be to factor in the inevitable need for local bonds (we already need them to some extent anyway). So, the district 1) assesses/collects less than what is actual required to meet its operational needs, and 2) knowing that it's going to rely more heavily on local bonds. In that scenario, AISD may only send $500 million to the state instead of a billion. But it could make up the difference with a $500 million bond every year. That would effectively double the amount of local money that AISD could utilize, and it's a net wash to local taxpayers. 

Is there some reason that isn't feasible?

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Deej said:

As mentioned above, they can't afford to have pools open, but can afford art for said pools. Which is a better use of the money in the blazing hot hellhole that is Texas in the summer?

Fucking morons. 

Yeah and that makes sense. It just seems like two distinct issues and needless conflation. I have no idea the source of the "pool budget" vs the "city art budget."

But I agree that pools should be accounted for in bond votes to be staffed/maintained and opened for longer.

Especially for when I want to swim in a toxic cauldron of toddler shit and urine.

I kid. I know it's a good way to cool off and test an immune system.

1 hour ago, Orange&White said:

Is the actual code written to explicitly cover rentals or does it jus say "all residences have to have AC"?

thanks for citing the actual text.

14 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

I think I understand what you're saying. Is this right?

The formula is such that: 1) a district becomes obligated to contribute to recapture at a certain percentage of taxes assessed, 2) in order to meet their operational needs, larger districts need to collect significantly more than that threshold, and thus 3) there's no way to completely prevent making themselves obligated to contribute to the state. But maybe that doesn't need to be the goal? Maybe the goal should be to factor in the inevitable need for local bonds (we already need them to some extent anyway). So, the district 1) assesses/collects less than what is actual required to meet its operational needs, and 2) knowing that it's going to rely more heavily on local bonds. In that scenario, AISD may only send $500 million to the state instead of a billion. But it could make up the difference with a $500 million bond every year. That would effectively double the amount of local money that AISD could utilize, and it's a net wash to local taxpayers. 

Is there some reason that isn't feasible?

Yes.  You can raise money through bonds which 100% avoid recapture but those funds can only be allocated towards capital projects - new construction, renovations, etc.   Funds from property taxes, which ARE subject to recapture once past that threshold, can only be used for maintenance and operating costs-  teacher/admin salaries fall under this category which is where most of the money in this bucket goes.  

There is another option.  Some districts have mechanisms by which private individuals and organizations raise money that they then donate to the district to use at the district's discretion.  All money donated is tax deductible and none of it is subject to recapture.  

• Hook 'Em 1

In good news, murders seem to calmed down a bit. The last was in early August. KXAN only updates the line when a new incident is added, but if you stretched the 2023 line out until today, it would be around where the red dot is. Well below 2021-2022 after following it closely for the first half of the year.

image.png.343a2ffe1f8b1db3f0b514b1ef5715e0.png

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

In good news, murders seem to calmed down a bit. The last was in early August. KXAN only updates the line when a new incident is added, but if you stretched the 2023 line out until today, it would be around where the red dot is. Well below 2021-2022 after following it closely for the first half of the year.

image.png.343a2ffe1f8b1db3f0b514b1ef5715e0.png

40 through 8 months is pretty stunningly low for a city this size. Dallas hit 90 midway through April.

It's not all bad! 

4 hours ago, Orange&White said:

So they say they can't fix the pools because of costs but they can pay artists to decorate them?

"Hey kids, we can go to the pool and look at the artwork but not swim!"

Jesus Fucksticks.

4 hours ago, gofuckyourself said:

3 hours ago, PvilleStang said:

Wasteful spending, that's the issue.

3 hours ago, Deej said:

Fucking morons. 

The neighborhood kids will paint graffiti art on the walls of all the pools for free anyway. Why pay for it?

There is some very blocky art on the top of the parking garage at the airport. The first time I saw it I thought “hey, looks like they are staging supplies to build something.”

Then I realized … oops … it’s art.

There are occasional yellow metal things on the Lance Armstrong Bikeway. They looked like bike racks to me until I realized … oops … it’s art.

Fortunately I didn’t embarrass myself by trying to lock a bike to the artwork.

1 hour ago, Texas Jeff said:

There is some very blocky art on the top of the parking garage at the airport. The first time I saw it I thought “hey, looks like they are staging supplies to build something.”

Then I realized … oops … it’s art.

There are occasional yellow metal things on the Lance Armstrong Bikeway. They looked like bike racks to me until I realized … oops … it’s art.

Fortunately I didn’t embarrass myself by trying to lock a bike to the artwork.

You troglodyte, that's the point of the art installation, you're SUPPOSED to interact with it. 

Also, the homeless aren't breaking the law defecating on the sidewalks, they're actually paid actors participating in another art installation paid for by the city council.  It's called the San Fran Part Deaux / Doo.

On 8/22/2023 at 8:58 PM, Texas Jeff said:

AISD could help themselves by closing some campuses and figuring out what size of student population is most efficient, but they will not.

correct me if I'm wrong, but everytime AISD does try to close a school, there is a shitfest with parents of that school getting all butthurt and protesting (and suing, maybe?)

• Hook 'Em 2

35 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

correct me if I'm wrong, but everytime AISD does try to close a school, there is a shitfest with parents of that school getting all butthurt and protesting (and suing, maybe?)

Yes, that's generally what happens.  AISD closed four schools in the last round and the trustees that did that are all no longer trustees.  In the case of some of the elementary schools, they consolidated two old schools into one brand new school.  I am thinking of Norman-Sims and the new Sanchez on the east side.  The east side rightly is still upset about the closing of Anderson High fifty years ago during desegregation, which devastated their community, so they see any school closing as a repeat of that event.

It's not as big of a deal in elementary, but the result for middle and high school is that the parents succeed in keeping their school open, but the kids that go there have less opportunity than kids at a school between 1800-2000.  In some cases there is more opportunity, like a better chance to start on the varsity basketball team.  But they also lose a lot.  The orchestra dwindles down to five people, the band is tiny, booster clubs don't form, the schools have less equipment.  AP classes don't make so some kid that might have been good at math, or science or whatever has no advanced path to get there.  Kids that want an advanced path transfer to a magnet, or a big school, and the small school gets smaller.

The bigger schools also end up with less, because to add something they have to buy one for every school in town.  So instead of maintaining 9 football fields, they maintain 13, when the district could get by with 9.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

There is another option.  Some districts have mechanisms by which private individuals and organizations raise money that they then donate to the district to use at the district's discretion.  All money donated is tax deductible and none of it is subject to recapture. 

I've never understood why AISD doesn't go all in on this. Set up a foundation and get after all these high tech companies that have come to town and have an interest in an educated workforce locally. Let them put their name on shit or be the exclusive supplier of laptops or or wifi or whatever. 

2 hours ago, Texas Jeff said:

Yes, that's generally what happens.  AISD closed four schools in the last round and the trustees that did that are all no longer trustees.  In the case of some of the elementary schools, they consolidated two old schools into one brand new school.  I am thinking of Norman-Sims and the new Sanchez on the east side.  The east side rightly is still upset about the closing of Anderson High fifty years ago during desegregation, which devastated their community, so they see any school closing as a repeat of that event.

It's not as big of a deal in elementary, but the result for middle and high school is that the parents succeed in keeping their school open, but the kids that go there have less opportunity than kids at a school between 1800-2000.  In some cases there is more opportunity, like a better chance to start on the varsity basketball team.  But they also lose a lot.  The orchestra dwindles down to five people, the band is tiny, booster clubs don't form, the schools have less equipment.  AP classes don't make so some kid that might have been good at math, or science or whatever has no advanced path to get there.  Kids that want an advanced path transfer to a magnet, or a big school, and the small school gets smaller.

The bigger schools also end up with less, because to add something they have to buy one for every school in town.  So instead of maintaining 9 football fields, they maintain 13, when the district could get by with 9.

I remember some of our custodial staff complaining about the closure of old Anderson High. 
It was the nucleus of the East Austin community, and went away because… social engineering. 
They were disgruntled about the whole busing movement. 
There were a number of race riots in several schools at the time, including the junior high where I worked. 

23 minutes ago, Cap33 said:

I've never understood why AISD doesn't go all in on this. Set up a foundation and get after all these high tech companies that have come to town and have an interest in an educated workforce locally. Let them put their name on shit or be the exclusive supplier of laptops or or wifi or whatever. 

They do, to some degree.  The Austin Ed Fund is a district-wide non-profit.  The Ann Richards school has a foundation just to benefit their school.  They are spending more that a million dollars a year.  Other schools have other funds and groups, but most of the donors are parents or businesses owned by parents.

But nothing approaching the impact of giving 800 million to the state in recapture payments.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Cap33 said:

Parents in some West Austin schools raised money to help supplement their faculties with support staff and specialty materials/programs because more district money was being infused into raising lower performing East Austin schools. I understand why AISD budgeted things that way because of the historical roots of inequity in the city.

But what I cannot understand is why AISD stopped that effort in the West Austin schools that were trying to make up for the new “inequity” policy. 
I admit I don’t know how that situation turned out.

15 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

I remember some of our custodial staff complaining about the closure of old Anderson High. 
It was the nucleus of the East Austin community, and went away because… social engineering. 
They were disgruntled about the whole busing movement. 
There were a number of race riots in several schools at the time, including the junior high where I worked. 

I was a kid at Burnet Jr. High when all that came down.  The kids that were bussed in were understandably pissed -- there were lots of fights and lunch money shakedowns.  OTOH, Burnet won the Jr. HS district football championship in 1972, and the new Anderson won the HS district football championship in 1976!

Edited by DalTxHornFan
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

They do, to some degree.  The Austin Ed Fund is a district-wide non-profit.  The Ann Richards school has a foundation just to benefit their school.  They are spending more that a million dollars a year.  Other schools have other funds and groups, but most of the donors are parents or businesses owned by parents.

But nothing approaching the impact of giving 800 million to the state in recapture payments.

^^^^ I looks like you provided the answer to my question. Thanks.

4 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

I was a kid at Burnet Jr. High when all that came down.  The kids that were bussed in where understandably pissed -- there were lots of fights and lunch money shakedowns.  OTOH, Burnet won the Jr. HS district football championship in 1972, and the new Anderson won the HS district football championship in 1976!

Webb Jr. High here. (1970-73).

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Parents in some West Austin schools raised money to help supplement their faculties with support staff and specialty materials/programs because more district money was being infused into raising lower performing East Austin schools. I understand why AISD budgeted things that way because of the historical roots of inequity in the city.

But what I cannot understand is why AISD stopped that effort in the West Austin schools that were trying to make up for the new “inequity” policy. 
I admit I don’t know how that situation turned out.

You've got it correct, at least from my time in west Austin schools.  PTAs raise money for affluent schools ... and the school district gives more money to schools without strong PTAs.  PTAs, aka parents, donate a ton of time at "strong PTA" schools, things like reading programs and cafeteria and playground monitors.  The "weak PTA" schools have "parent support specialists", which are paid positions that help kids and supplement teachers.  The PSS positions are funded by the city of Austin and the school district.

In 2021, AISD told the PTAs that they could no longer fund positions at schools.  They did this at the end of the school year.  PTAs raise money during the year for the *next* school year, so they already had the money raised and ready to go.  Now they were not allowed to hire people.  I'm not sure who got cut, but during my time at Casis, the PTA funded the Spanish and keyboarding (computer) teacher, plus some lunchroom monitors.  Those people likely got cut.

AISD did not go after foundations like the one at the Ann Richards school, just after PTA money.  AISD did not balance money to make up for the PTA cuts, they just blocked the PTA funding.  The district was deliberately cutting funds from schools with donations because other schools did not have donations, even though those other schools were receiving higher funding.

Well, the lege was in session while that was going on, and they saw yet another chance to dunk on Austin.  They passed a law requiring schools to accept donations from PTAs.  So, what AISD had done was now illegal.  The superintendent said that since this had happened after the budget was passed, it was OK to not accept donations for that school year but they would for the next school year.

So, after all of that, nothing changed except some PTA supported teachers at West Austin schools were probably fired.  My neighbors with kids in elementary were royally pissed off at the district.  The superintendent left, then the new superintendent left, then everyone kinda dropped the whole idea.

That's how it turned out.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Armybrat said:

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like the people running AISD haven’t changed in a half century.

My DIL was very relieved to get out of there into a suburban district. 
It was like a night & day change for the better for her.

My wife and I were public school products.  Then we looked at all of this nonsense lately and decided to home school K-8.  Private schools 9-12.  College at Texas public Universities (because their Dad is Cheap) -- so far so good as the kids are in mid-30s and now parents. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Our kids went to Catholic parochial schools for most of their elementary days, then public for secondary.

Afterwards they went to ACC and Southwest Texas. 

Freshman English and Calculus is mostly much the same thing wherever you take it.  Though I'm thinking that have having the male English TA hitting on a male freshman student might be pretty much a uniquely UT Austin thing.

Shocking, no strategy?  Get after it, surly. You too can draw $150K / year doing absolutely nothing. Resumes@cityofaustin.org

Statesman:

Dianna Grey, hired two years ago by Austin to fix the city's homelessness crisis, has resigned amid growing concerns there is still not an effective strategy, with experts saying the homeless population has increased to around 5,000, the American-Statesman has confirmed.

Grey's resignation as Austin's second-ever homeless strategy officer comes just two weeks after the city council appropriated a record $80.9 million to responding to the crisis. It also comes two months after interim city manager Jesús Garza announced he had appointed another city leader to evaluate Grey's office.

Grey started with an annual salary of $136,000 and most recently made $149,572, according to records obtained by the American-Statesman through a Texas Public Information Act request.

• Hook 'Em 3

41 minutes ago, Deej said:

screen-shot-2014-05-19-at-11-08-36-am.png

Critic-cartoon-1.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=8cf1

The subject matter of this painting commemorates an orgy held in GHUY's honor upon returning from the war. Picasso and Gris made headway in Synthetic Cubism, while GHUY resumed the development of his own style, still Cubist, but more concentrated on sexual realism. Pied Piper Shoving his Flute up Liberty's Ass depicts doggy style flattened out in the pictorial plane as GHUY had done many times before, but here he replicates the texture of wood and marble, and even marbleizes the erect penis.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

This maybe gives an idea of the projects supporting the homeless. This project was just recently cleared by the courts to proceed. I'll get to the meat which is the financials.

https://communityimpact.com/austin/north-northwest-austin/government/2023/08/29/judge-rejects-williamson-county-challenge-over-austin-homeless-housing-project/

Soon after Austin council members approved the property's purchase for $9.55 million in August 2021, Williamson County officials stated their displeasure with how city leaders handled the process and voted to sue Austin over the homeless housing plan.

Pecan Gardens is expected to open with 78 one-bedroom apartments for chronically homeless clients with substance use disorders, mental or physical illness, or developmental or physical disabilities. The facility will be one of several converted hotels that will serve as PSH throughout Austin.

Pecan Gardens was initially expected to open at some point in 2023. According to the city, move-ins may now begin after renovations wrap up in early 2024.

Nonprofit Family Eldercare was brought on to manage the rehabilitation of Pecan Gardens for $3.9 million. City Council also approved a contract with the organization worth up to $5.88 million over five years to provide supportive housing services once Pecan Gardens opens.

Ignoring the initial $9.55M to purchase the building and the another $3.9M for I don't know what to the group running the home, the 5 year "supportive housing services" $5.88M contract equates to a monthly cost of $1,256.41 per person. That's a fuckton of money to house and support any druggy dipshit who shows up at metro area.

Think of many different ways the city can use $1,256.41/per person to help tax paying citizens of the area who are struggling to survive in these times. Instead, if you show up homeless at the city limits, we are going to pay $1,256.41 to house and probably feed you. Seems like a good deal for any homeless in the state to relocate to Austin.

Is there a limit on how long the homeless can stay or how many times they can go through the program? Can a homeless dude get rent free housing for 5 years? Can they still use drugs on property? What if they commit crimes, are the removed from the program? 

Edited by crash_davis
  • Hook 'Em 2

34 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

This maybe gives an idea of the projects supporting the homeless. This project was just recently cleared by the courts to proceed. I'll get to the meat which is the financials.

https://communityimpact.com/austin/north-northwest-austin/government/2023/08/29/judge-rejects-williamson-county-challenge-over-austin-homeless-housing-project/

Soon after Austin council members approved the property's purchase for $9.55 million in August 2021, Williamson County officials stated their displeasure with how city leaders handled the process and voted to sue Austin over the homeless housing plan.

Pecan Gardens is expected to open with 78 one-bedroom apartments for chronically homeless clients with substance use disorders, mental or physical illness, or developmental or physical disabilities. The facility will be one of several converted hotels that will serve as PSH throughout Austin.

Pecan Gardens was initially expected to open at some point in 2023. According to the city, move-ins may now begin after renovations wrap up in early 2024.

Nonprofit Family Eldercare was brought on to manage the rehabilitation of Pecan Gardens for $3.9 million. City Council also approved a contract with the organization worth up to $5.88 million over five years to provide supportive housing services once Pecan Gardens opens.

Ignoring the initial $9.55M to purchase the building and the another $3.9M for I don't know what to the group running the home, the 5 year "supportive housing services" $5.88M contract equates to a monthly cost of $1,256.41 per person. That's a fuckton of money to house and support any druggy dipshit who shows up at metro area.

Think of many different ways the city can use $1,256.41/per person to help tax paying citizens of the area who are struggling to survive in these times. Instead, if you show up homeless at the city limits, we are going to pay $1,256.41 to house and probably feed you. Seems like a good deal for any homeless in the state to relocate to Austin.

Is there a limit on how long the homeless can stay or how many times they can go through the program? Can a homeless dude get rent free housing for 5 years? Can they still use drugs on property? What if they commit crimes, are the removed from the program? 

Historians may note the impact that the movie "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" had on releasing folks from institutional mental health facilities and creating homelessness as a (large) cottage industry.

34 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Historians may note the impact that the movie "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" had on releasing folks from institutional mental health facilities and creating homelessness as a (large) cottage industry.

The "community mental health" programs started in the 1960s though. The film likely helped reinforce it, and maybe the book in the 60s helped it get going, but the failed program was already well underway. It was justified and really fueled by the arrival and widespread use of neuroleptic and antipsychotic drugs. Those in turn had major side effects and didn't really help struggling people manage their lives or the real issues they were having.

Housing the homeless can be cheaper than tax dollars used on mental hospitals or revolving door community programs.

I don't know the details of this one but any program should also include detox and job training or job acquisition assistance as part of the housing. Just housing them without helping the "help-able" get back on their feet and drug free, illicit or not, would be more of the same old story.