What the fuck is wrong with you, Austin?

crash_davis

The Domain is a unique experience, to be sure.  It's sort of an outlet mall trapped in a freshly-painted ghetto apartment complex with a bunch of restaurants that think they're punching above their weight.

• Hook 'Em 4

24 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

The Domain is a unique experience, to be sure.  It's sort of an outlet mall trapped in a freshly-painted ghetto apartment complex with a bunch of restaurants that think they're punching above their weight.

The domain is like an island of Houston in the middle of Austin.

YMMV.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, ztejas said:

The domain is like an island of Houston in the middle of Austin.

YMMV.

If it was like Houston it would be four times the size and spread out.  

Personally I always really liked the concept but they needed to build 8+ floors of condos above the first floor retail to make it truly mixed use.  Instead it’s kind of a weird, inorganic mix of commercial buildings.

Not really a fan of the Daily Fail but this guy believes he survived the Rainey Street Ripper last June.

“A man who was drugged and plummeted 25ft off a bridge, narrowly missing certain drowning, believes he could have been targeted by the 'Rainey Street ripper'.

Jeff Jones, 38, was on a bachelor party trip to Austin with a dozen friends from his home in Boston on June 23 last year.

He woke up in hospital more than two weeks later with metal rods holding his back together and doctors found the date-rape drug GHB in his system.

Jones believes he was drugged before the would-be killer pushed him off the bridge over a stream where he was supposed to drown and float away.”

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13373887/Rainey-street-ripper-austin-serial-killer-ghb-survivor.html

I know  its the Daily Fail but  they do have a fairly decent reach

IMG_0599.jpeg

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, ztejas said:

"Rainey Street Ripper" doesn't make sense as a nickname. Dude was called "Jack the Ripper" because of the way he mangled the corpses. 

The Downtown Drowner?

I'm still partial to The Town Lake Dumper.

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Not really a fan of the Daily Fail but this guy believes he survived the Rainey Street Ripper last June.

“A man who was drugged and plummeted 25ft off a bridge, narrowly missing certain drowning, believes he could have been targeted by the 'Rainey Street ripper'.

Jeff Jones, 38, was on a bachelor party trip to Austin with a dozen friends from his home in Boston on June 23 last year.

He woke up in hospital more than two weeks later with metal rods holding his back together and doctors found the date-rape drug GHB in his system.

Jones believes he was drugged before the would-be killer pushed him off the bridge over a stream where he was supposed to drown and float away.”

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13373887/Rainey-street-ripper-austin-serial-killer-ghb-survivor.html

I know  its the Daily Fail but  they do have a fairly decent reach

IMG_0599.jpeg

I cant believe you let one get away.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

An anonymous 911 call was placed about 4am after he was spotted lying motionless at the bottom of the historic West Sixth Street Bridge.

The bridge runs over Shoal Creek, which flows into the Colorado River near where several bodies were pulled from the water over the past two years.

image.gif.f632cc2b24584922580dbb26b24a9737.gif

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I wouldn’t call the apartment complexes in the Domain ghetto, I’m pretty sure a 1br there is $2,600 plus a month.  It was cool when the Domain first opened, it was Fleming’s, Joe Dimmagio’s and a couple other restaurants and a few shops.  No one was ever there, you could walk right in to Fleming’s with a party of 8 and get sat right away.  

Edited by Hook1997
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, texasdago said:

The first time I went to the Domain I looked around and said, "this is nice but you could tell me I was in Atlanta or Houston or some other generic city and I wouldn't know the difference"

yes but honestly i'm glad austin has a little of that. maybe it's the 90s in me speaking but sometimes you just need to go to the mall.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Really strange deal at Florida A&M with an Austin connection.  https://www.miamiherald.com/news/state/florida/article288417175.html

Some dude named Greg Gerami announced a $276M donation to FAMU at their commencement ceremony, where he was evidently a speaker.  This would have been the largest single donation to an HBCU in history.

Gerami is the owner of a hemp company "in Austin" called Batterson Farms.  https://www.battersonfarmscorp.com/  But it says San Antonio and Sierra Blanca on the website.

Batterson Farms does not have the website of a company with 276M to donate.  Or even $276.  Gerami is associated with another failed donation to Coastal Carolina.  Also a failed donation to UT.

I suppose any institution can be the victim of a fraudulent or fictitious donation.  But it seems odd that this Gerami dude was the commencement speaker.  

I have no idea how this ended up in my Google news but there it is.

Edited by TwiceHorn

11 hours ago, texasdago said:

The first time I went to the Domain I looked around and said, "this is nice but you could tell me I was in Atlanta or Houston or some other generic city and I wouldn't know the difference"

I wouldn't call Atlanta generic.

KVUE is such a terrible station now. It's been continuously, as in non-stop, running a stupid ass weather ribbon / crawl for hours today warning of bad shit but failing to realize there no significant weather within 400 miles of Austin. 

14 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

KVUE is such a terrible station now. It's been continuously, as in non-stop, running a stupid ass weather ribbon / crawl for hours today warning of bad shit but failing to realize there no significant weather within 400 miles of Austin. 

I'm getting tired of all the fucking dire weather predictions. goes from kvue all the way to the nws.

when i was a kid a tornado watch meant get ready to take cover at any moment and a warning meant your ass.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, demos said:

It should be legal for me to put a plow on my pickup and run through the jackasses blocking the intersections downtown.

As a lawyer, I can tell you that there is no section of the Texas Penal Code making that specific behavior a crime.

• Haha 1

Really strange deal at Florida A&M with an Austin connection.  https://www.miamiherald.com/news/state/florida/article288417175.html
Some dude named Greg Gerami announced a $276M donation to FAMU at their commencement ceremony, where he was evidently a speaker.  This would have been the largest single donation to an HBCU in history.
Gerami is the owner of a hemp company "in Austin" called Batterson Farms.  https://www.battersonfarmscorp.com/  But it says San Antonio and Sierra Blanca on the website.
Batterson Farms does not have the website of a company with 276M to donate.  Or even $276.  Gerami is associated with another failed donation to Coastal Carolina.  Also a failed donation to UT.
I suppose any institution can be the victim of a fraudulent or fictitious donation.  But it seems odd that this Gerami dude was the commencement speaker.  
I have no idea how this ended up in my Google news but there it is.

Is Gerami pulling a Michael Scott?
  • Haha 1

Yeah, I like how the email had the only two bike riders photographed that I've seen using the bike lanes in the last 6 months.  

Other fun facts.  The Zilker train has been postponed yet again because of height restrictions.  You know that thing that happens with miniature trains?  They literally didn't measure the 'locomotive' car against the bridge.  But give 'em a pass, they only had 18 months to get a tape measure.  I swear to fucking god with this fucking simulation.  

• Haha 2

Buddy of mine lives just a few houses down from where this happened. Homeowner goes outside in the middle of the night because some dude is trying to steal/break into his truck. Would-be thief shoots the homeowner dead. Wrong dude got shot.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/sheriffs-office-investigating-overnight-homicide-in-northwest-austin/

3 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Yeah, I like how the email had the only two bike riders photographed that I've seen using the bike lanes in the last 6 months.  

Other fun facts.  The Zilker train has been postponed yet again because of height restrictions.  You know that thing that happens with miniature trains?  They literally didn't measure the 'locomotive' car against the bridge.  But give 'em a pass, they only had 18 months to get a tape measure.  I swear to fucking god with this fucking simulation.  

I know what you are saying but the actual clearance issue was they loaded it with adults and the cars weren't clearing the tracks properly.  so they need to lift the cars and put heavier springs apparently(I'm not a train fixer but I did stay at a holiday inn last night).  never tested it with max weight before.

On a good note it appears near me they may have taken down some stupid bike late posts on a short road I use some.  fucking bike lanes. what a complete waste of money.

1 hour ago, Steel Shank said:

Buddy of mine lives just a few houses down from where this happened. Homeowner goes outside in the middle of the night because some dude is trying to steal/break into his truck. Would-be thief shoots the homeowner dead. Wrong dude got shot.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/sheriffs-office-investigating-overnight-homicide-in-northwest-austin/

death penalty incoming for ol' BJ.

19 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Good news everyone!
I imagine this group will be very receptive to news that the Barton Springs Lane reduction pilot has reduced speed, improved safety and for all the histrionics seem like it didn’t have much of an impact on travel times. And also people are pretty much ok with it. 

image.thumb.png.b6c38519cb732e767ad846cc6e187bbf.png

image.thumb.png.e3fd4b0b9a85122784af4c252a5ff25b.png

image.png.4eddc4ef0d8190f12ebfd7ec6e126478.png

Bike Lane Spencer, Greg Anderson, and the yimby cucks can get fucked on this road diet bullshit.

19 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Good news everyone!
I imagine this group will be very receptive to news that the Barton Springs Lane reduction pilot has reduced speed, improved safety and for all the histrionics seem like it didn’t have much of an impact on travel times. And also people are pretty much ok with it. 

image.thumb.png.b6c38519cb732e767ad846cc6e187bbf.png

image.thumb.png.e3fd4b0b9a85122784af4c252a5ff25b.png

image.png.4eddc4ef0d8190f12ebfd7ec6e126478.png

1600 responses, eh? 

On 5/20/2024 at 10:41 PM, dcar00 said:

On a good note it appears near me they may have taken down some stupid bike late posts on a short road I use some.  fucking bike lanes. what a complete waste of money.

Too much money spent in the wrong areas for the wrong things.  In south austin, I rarely see bikes in any of the new bike lanes they built.

Fuk