What the fuck is wrong with you, Austin?

crash_davis

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah, the "the defense lawyer is a friend of the DA!" is a dog whistle for people with zero understanding of how being a professional works.  I am a trial attorney, and opposing counsel is OFTEN someone with whom I am actual personal friends.  Why is that?  Because all-in-all, our profession is a small world.  Most of us in a particular field know each other well.  Why would Garza and Cofer be friends?  Maybe because THEY WORKED TOGETHER AS PROSECUTORS BEFORE COFER LEFT THE OFFICE TO DO DEFENSE WORK.  That is a regular, common thing.  Many - perhaps most - good criminal defense lawyers in most towns spent time as prosecutors.  They see the same folks over and over.  They are friendly, they socialize, the go to Bar activities together.  In short, "Garza and Cofer are friends!" is a giant nothingburger.  "The DA and many defense lawyers in town are friends!" is the full statement, and it's meaningless.

Like I said, I go up against friends all the time.  I don't give my client shitty service because I want to do a favor to my friend, nobody I know would even think of doing that.  In fact...it's kinda fun to go head-to-head against one of your friends and beat them.

Open Society! George Soros!

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Multiple explosions. Did Pancho's finally kill Brisket, his toilet, and his house?

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/local/austin-explosions-fire-imperial-drive/269-061d423c-e1e8-49b4-863c-6cb1b943b470

AUSTIN, Texas — Fire crews and medics are on the scene of an incident involving "multiple explosions" at a home in southeast Austin.

The Austin Fire Department (AFD) said just after 10 a.m. Friday that crews were responding to a structure fire in the 4600 block of Imperial Drive. AFD said it had received reports of a disturbance inside a home associated with "multiple explosions, fire, and smoke" inside the residence.

edit: Meth lab?

Edited by crash_davis

Multiple explosions. Did Pancho's finally kill Brisket, his toilet, and his house?

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/local/austin-explosions-fire-imperial-drive/269-061d423c-e1e8-49b4-863c-6cb1b943b470
AUSTIN, Texas — Fire crews and medics are on the scene of an incident involving "multiple explosions" at a home in southeast Austin.
The Austin Fire Department (AFD) said just after 10 a.m. Friday that crews were responding to a structure fire in the 4600 block of Imperial Drive. AFD said it had received reports of a disturbance inside a home associated with "multiple explosions, fire, and smoke" inside the residence.

edit: Meth lab?

Good sir, I haven’t eaten at Pancho’s in…several weeks, I’m sure of it.

so.... what the fuck happened with a bunch of cops on bikes this weekend? did someone die? 

I35 northbound was shutdown at 10ish Saturday morning. shutdown for real. like the flyover from ben white was closed with people out of their cars waiting. 

then yesterday it looked like some kind of cop parade was shaking up downtown. horses and flags and the whole bit. 

anyone know?

23 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Four dead at least.

• Rage+1 1

22 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Wait.....someone's GOTTA have a screencap of the last scene, the arrest of the, uhh, little person.  That's fantastic.

Also, if only we had a buncha cops who were able to put on a large show of force to stop violence.  But they were all busy strapping on their riot gear and cracking skulls of students protesting down on campus.  Priorities, ya know.

Also, E. 6th is and has been a shithole for some time.  Hell, pre-pandemic, we went to Esthers Follies for the first time in better than a decade.  After the show, we walked up 6th back to my office on Congress.  We walked.....quickly.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

If Sarkisian is still in need of d-line depth then someone recommend 1:55 for 20 seconds. The guy dropping via tase at 2:35 is worth the price of admission. And the midget capping things off is a nice finale. So much gold.  

Good 'ol 6th. Just where you want to take visitors. I can't believe idiots still recommend.

Lollipops for everyone. 

23 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

*Cheko's

I've been there . . . once.  My meal sucked.  Strangely, it never occurred to me that I might be able to run the check and beat the owner.

I also once ate there. Once. I'm sure the check runners only will only ever eat there once. Seems to be a theme.

2c2nyf.jpg

On 4/29/2024 at 10:13 PM, ChickenSandwich said:

Up to 75 total overdoses just this week:
https://www.statesman.com/story/news/crime/2024/05/02/austin-tx-fentanyl-opioid-overdose-outbreak-nine-dead-and-dozens-affected/73538792007/

Nine dead, 66 affected by drugs believed to be laced with fentanyl, Austin officials say
Bianca Moreno-Paz
Austin American-Statesman

It's prob the same dealer and his network selling the fucked up drugs.

You see dealers dealing to the homeless. Oddly enough both times I saw it happen, the dealers were driving Dodge Chargers. Once was a dealer sitting in his car in the Freshplus parking lot in Crestview waiting for some tweaked out mofo get off a bus, walk over, buy some shit, and wander aimlessly down a sidewalk. Other time was at the Shell on 183/71 and Montopolis. Dealer pulls up in car, parks away from pumps. A few homeless people camping under the bridge walk over and buy some shit.

I'm sure the cops know who all the dealers are in the city. I don't think it was hard to track down the tainted source.

Edited by crash_davis

Just fucking trash. None of the people in the video look like they would spend a single dollar in any of the clubs/bars/restaurants on 6th.

I've said it before. Block off the whole area, charge $20 to get in, that $20 will be credited towards drinks or food. It's a win for the club, restaurant, and bar owners. That would keep most all of the trash away.

10 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I have a great solution for Cleo:

Don't fucking go to dirty sixth.

I'd bet she hasn't been to sixth street after 9pm since Covid or longer.  She's merely parroting someone else's videos to bring attention to the issues downtown.  

(Or advertising to all those Killen teens how much fun 6th street could be)

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Just fucking trash. None of the people in the video look like they would spend a single dollar in any of the clubs/bars/restaurants on 6th.

I've said it before. Block off the whole area, charge $20 to get in, that $20 will be credited towards drinks or food. It's a win for the club, restaurant, and bar owners. That would keep most all of the trash away.

Yeah, I have to think all the people that go there are out of towners or dumbasses because everyone I know stays away from Dirty 6th and if they go, they are out early.  

18 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

There's nothing like Dirty Sixth early on a weekend morning.  I don't know how the Pecan Street Festival "artists" do it.  The filth and stench is unreal.

Some weekend mornings, I'll go downtown and walk up and down 2nd street, 3rd, etc. and just enjoy the city before it wakes up... that or over on the Butler trail.  Anyway, sometimes I'll make my way down 5th all the way to the Hilton and will look over towards 6th and even in the morning it is dodgy... and yet I almost always see 20ish year old women walking their dogs down 6th street... I'm like, "really?"

So your policy is just to move “trash” around and kinda keep them out of an area that has been known as “Dirty Sixth” for 30 years.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/video-shows-private-security-guards-administering-narcan-in-downtown-austin/

“We administered 23 doses of Narcan between 16 people so far this week, with Monday being the busiest,” said a representative for Nxt Lvl Security, the firm hired to work downtown. “A normal week for our downtown team is 1-5 people with 1-2 doses each.”

ATCEMS said it’s grateful groups like private security guards carry Narcan, and the agency said on several occasions – because someone else administered Narcan – patients are already starting to wake up by the time medics get there. However, ATCEMS also said many overdose cases require more than one dose of Narcan, so medics often also deliver subsequent rounds.

“With this surge, they’re not necessarily attempting to take opioids. They’re using K2, crack cocaine, Xanax, a number of other substances,” ATCEMS Captain Christa Stedman said. “Whatever is doing this is making its way into everything, and that’s why we need people to be alert.”

Private security hired last summer, in part, to deter illegal drug activity downtown

The company was hired last year to patrol the following streets amid a staffing shortage at the Austin Police Department:

The intersection of Sixth and Brazos Street

The intersection of Sixth Street and Congress Avenue

The 400-700 blocks of Sixth Street 

These private security patrols began last summer. The businesses who hired them said the primary goal was to deter illegal drug activity and unruly behavior downtown.

“Some building managers and owners have expressed needing constant security in these areas,” APD said in a statement when KXAN first asked about the security patrols last year. “APD cannot commit these resources to certain areas 24 hours a day/seven days a week, and is aware that some business owners and managers are opting to hire private security to ensure their businesses are protected.”

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

There's nothing like Dirty Sixth early on a weekend morning.  I don't know how the Pecan Street Festival "artists" do it.  The filth and stench is unreal.

That stench is the "artists"

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

I know there's love for Hoover's here, myself included. Looks like the building owners are filing to re-zone to mixed use residential and commercial. Supposedly Hoover's owner agrees so hopefully his restaurant stays on the bottom floor.

Welp, enjoy it while you can.  I'd guess half of those moves never happen since you have to remain solvent and income free during a 1+ year construction project.  Most people have moved on by then to retirement or another opportunity. If they do move in, most don't survive because the average Austinite can't figure out where to park for ground level retail.

I look forward to Hoover's joining the Austin airport's graveyard of mom and pop restaurants.

Edited by CooterBrown

3 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Welp, enjoy it while you can.  I'd guess half of those moves never happen since you have to remain solvent and income free during a 1+ year construction project.  Most people have moved on by then to retirement or another opportunity. If they do move in, most don't survive because the average Austinite can't figure out where to park for ground level retail.

I look forward to Hoover's joining the Austin airport's graveyard of mom and pop restaurants.

Where's the sad rep?

On 5/1/2024 at 11:16 AM, jimmyjazz said:

*Cheko's

I've been there . . . once.  My meal sucked.  Strangely, it never occurred to me that I might be able to run the check and beat the owner.

I used to live around the corner on Jeff Davis (now William Holland).  I ate there one time....

Still death to thieves

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, crash_davis said:

“With this surge, they’re not necessarily attempting to take opioids. They’re using K2, crack cocaine, Xanax, a number of other substances,” ATCEMS Captain Christa Stedman said. “Whatever is doing this is making its way into everything, and that’s why we need people to be alert.”

Who the fuck still does K2?

4 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Lane Meyer and Charles deMar?  Do you have any idea what the street value of the K2 mountain is, bro?  

I heard it was Johnny Hopkins and Sloan Kettering. And they're blazing that shit up every day.