Left Behind: A Quick Dose Of Post Big 12 Reality

LTtxfan

2 hours ago, Vertigo said:

He is talking about the Mormon directors cup. Common mistake. 

Well who the hell are #1 and #2 in that directors cup then? Could Joseph Smith throw a football over them mountains? These are the real hard hitting questions I think we want the answers to.

Edited by Evil Bill Obrien
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

your graduates are employed by the brethren network which has an extremely high concentration in tech and the military intelligence and enforcement complex because of their programmatic 'training' in childhood; aggy has a network and employs aggy; that doesn't validate aggy academics

you DO NOT have a national following in football - quit saying that - it has been disproven repeatedly

Brethren network? (Can you let me know how to tap into that?) Hired for our programmatic training? How about being attractive candidates due to high degrees of integrity, honesty, patriotism, and loyalty, stemming from a mix of growing up with an emphasis on Judeo-Christian values and formal participation by the LDS Church in Boy Scouts up until a few years ago? 

When I say we have a national following, I'm saying we have a large alumni network across the country and we show up very well to away games all the time. 

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

I don't like most religious schools with BYU being a good example, but they do fit the profile of a Big XII school at this point athletics wise and the Sunday thing never seemed like a big deal since it doesn't affect the major sports (even with baseball Thurs.- Sat. isn't that big a deal). The "national following" line is just stupid and makes me surly, just isn't remotely true, especially since they are trying to compare it with Notre Dame. Their 1984 national championship claim is also so fucking weak when you see their schedule. OSU's bullshit 1945 claim has more merit than 1984. Regardless, I'm looking forward to making a road trip with some OSU friends for a baseball series to enjoy the views and outdoor activities.

No. I don’t like BYU, but their ‘84 MNC claim is a lot stronger than OSU’s’45 claim. BYU’s is based on none of their (probably better) rival claimants having a flawless or near-flawless season. 
In 1945, Army not only had a perfect season, not only was filled with AA players, not only destroyed four other top 10 teams (at neutral sites or on the road, winning by combined 169-20), it was also considered perhaps the greatest team ever at the time. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1945_Army_Cadets_football_team

(Ever hear of Glenn Davis and Doc Blanchard, two Heisman backs in the same backfield?)

OSU’s claim is based on- 60 years later, retired mediocre football coaches served in a temporary committee to review MNCs, looked at the 1945 season and could not believe West Point could be that great just because they beat a lot of yankee teams. 

Sorry, but to anyone with any ability to reason at all, OSU’s 1945 claim is bogus. That’s ok- you’ll always have wrestling and Iba. 

Edited by statsman
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

Well who the hell are #1 and #2 in that directors cup then? Could Joseph Smith throw a football over them mountains? These are the real hard hitting questions I think we want the answers to.

Look, if you think you are going to go up and Moss the angel Gabriel on a 50/50 ball, I don’t know what to tell you.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

Their 1984 national championship claim is also so fucking weak when you see their schedule. 

Washington, ranked #2 after the regular season, declined the option to play BYU. They chose to play Oklahoma instead for more money. They got their money, but not the championship. They should have played BYU instead, but they didn't. Then at the beginning of the 1985 season BYU beat Washington 31-3.

Baylor coach Grant Teaff, who played both BYU and Oklahoma that year, said: "We played both of them, lucky me, and I think BYU is better. We felt we had a chance against Oklahoma (ranked #2 before its bowl game against #4 Washington), but against BYU all I wanted to do was get the game over with and get out of there."

Furthermore, BYU received the number-one ranking in ALL 4 NCAA sanctioned polls AP, Coaches, NFF and FWAA. Thus making BYU one of only 19 FBS programs which have been deemed "Unanimous National Champions".

And one more point, a bunch of BYU players on that team made it to the NFL. 

13 minutes ago, statsman said:

No. I don’t like BYU, but their ‘84 MNC claim is a lot stronger than OSU’s’45 claim. BYU’s is based on none of their (probably better) rival claimants having a flawless or near-flawless season. 
In 1945, Army not only had a perfect season, not only was filled with AA players, not only destroyed four other top 10 teams (at neutral sites or on the road, winning by combined 169-20), it was also considered perhaps the greatest team ever at the time. 

(Ever hear of Glenn Davis and Doc Blanchard, two Heisman backs in the same backfield?)

OSU’s claim is based on- 60 years later, retired mediocre football coaches served in a temporary committee to review MNCs, looked at the 1945 season and could not believe West Point could be that great just because they beat a lot of yankee teams. 

Sorry, but to anyone with any ability to reason at all, OSU’s 1945 claim is bogus. That’s ok- you’ll always have wrestling and Iba. 

They didn't play a single team that ended the season ranked that year. Best opponent they beat was Air Force which finished 8-4. Their bowl game was agaisnt 6-5 Michigan. Sure it's how the AP worked, but it's still bullshit. UCF's 2017 team was more legitimate. 

11 minutes ago, Crockett said:

Washington, ranked #2 after the regular season, declined the option to play BYU. They chose to play Oklahoma instead for more money. They got their money, but not the championship. They should have played BYU instead, but they didn't. Then at the beginning of the 1985 season BYU beat Washington 31-3.

Baylor coach Grant Teaff, who played both BYU and Oklahoma that year, said: "We played both of them, lucky me, and I think BYU is better. We felt we had a chance against Oklahoma (ranked #2 before its bowl game against #4 Washington), but against BYU all I wanted to do was get the game over with and get out of there."

Furthermore, BYU received the number-one ranking in ALL 4 NCAA sanctioned polls AP, Coaches, NFF and FWAA. Thus making BYU one of only 19 FBS programs which have been deemed "Unanimous National Champions".

Tom Delonge Wtf GIF

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Crockett said:

The sad part is how many programs, forty years later, try to emulate BYU’s feat of navigating an opportunistically weak schedule to a perfect record. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, statsman said:

The sad part is how many programs, forty years later, try to emulate BYU’s feat of navigating an opportunistically weak schedule to a perfect record. 

Like someone above said, at least it's not possible anymore for an undefeated team vying for a title to play a 6-5 team in a bowl game.

On 7/5/2023 at 12:43 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

It's because they don't care if they suck at sports, make no money, and have poor exposure.  If they can clink wine glasses with other west coast academics and get to say they aren't affiliated with red state Plains trash, they're happy.

19 hours ago, royiv said:

That's a big one, but in addition to that they had worn out their welcome in the MWC by being pricks in general. There's a reason the Pac 12 took Utah and the Big XII took TCU while BYU sat in the green room on conference draft night.

Based on what exactly?  Hearsay and your idiotic assumptions?  Listen fuckface, you don't have shit to go by, why not eat a dick?  The Pac 12 passed over BYU because they did not want to include a private, religious university. 

19 hours ago, royiv said:

Because BYU is a pain in the ass to schedule around, they have an inflated sense of their value, they demand special treatment not afforded to other conference members and there's the little problem of them not being an legitimate academic university. It's like bringing Liberty University into your conference.

Based on what?  Our funding nearly an entire conference of leaches that stabbed us in the back?  You don't have shit to base your worthless opinion off of.  We went independent to capitalize on an opportunity for greater visibility and to stop subsidizing the back-stabbing leaches in that conference, you can fuck right off with that nonsense.  

15 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

i think they would all burn their triple-combos before they balked at a playoff game

This made me LOL.

15 hours ago, CTC2 said:

What’s the deal with the magic underwear?

Why not go to the source?  https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/gospel-topics/garments?lang=eng

15 hours ago, Deej said:

Damn, that's some seriously mediocre schools. 

Nothing mediocre about BYU except the partying and tailgating scene.  

4 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

everything you write i agree with the following comments

your graduates are employed by the brethren network which has an extremely high concentration in tech and the military intelligence and enforcement complex because of their programmatic 'training' in childhood; aggy has a network and employs aggy; that doesn't validate aggy academics

you DO NOT have a national following in football - quit saying that - it has been disproven repeatedly

Edited by FartingDreamer
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 2

BYU has a national brand through its sponsoring institution which is both nation-wide and world-wide.  BYU is recruited by some of the top companies and firms and organizations in this nation.  Do you want me to list the programs?  Hagbird, you have a desparate need to disprove BYU for some reason and it's pathetic.  Get a life and root for your team rather then seeking to tear down others with your falsehoods and nonsense?   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2

26 minutes ago, FartingDreamer said:

Based on what exactly?  Hearsay and your idiotic assumptions?  Listen fuckface, you don't have shit to go by, why not eat a dick?  The Pac 12 passed over BYU because they did not want to include a private, religious university. 

Based on what?  Our funding nearly an entire conference of leaches that stabbed us in the back?  You don't have shit to base your worthless opinion off of.  We went independent to capitalize on an opportunity for greater visibility and to stop subsidizing the back-stabbing leaches in that conference, you can fuck right off with that nonsense.  

This made me LOL.

Why not go to the source?  https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/gospel-topics/garments?lang=eng

Careful. I'm going to have to report you to your bishop for talking like that.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, FartingDreamer said:

This made me LOL.

1 hour ago, royiv said:

Careful. I'm going to have to report you to your bishop for talking like that.

Animated GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

If OU beats UW back in '84, they probably get a beauty pageant win over BYU in the polls.  The Sooners finished the '84 regular season with back to back top 3 wins.  A one loss OU with a much tougher schedule probably gets the nod there and Switzer had politicked it hard.  If Washington plays BYU that year, instead of OU, then even if they beat BYU, the narrative would have been that BYU was a fraud. OU - who was ranked ahead of UW - would have just needed to win the Orange Bowl against someone else to win the title.  Just about anyone else who might have slotted into that game would have been worse than UW.

There was a pretty good chance that OU would have jumped BYU even if BYU had played and beaten UW, so long as OU racked up another Top 10 win in the Orange Bowl.  

Switzer had politicked so much going into bowl season that he made a bunch of BYU folks extremely angry.  They named a sewage treatment plant after him in retaliation. 

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1985-12-31-sp-26324-story.html

• Hook 'Em 2

BYU fan knows that Texas is leaving the big12, right? They are more delusional than aggy. 

Pray for everyone left behind. Baylor too. I said it. No-one deserves BYU. Veil between worlds, angels are alien regards.

Big 12 is in for some zealotry their casual religion is not prepared for. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Fuck You 1

17 minutes ago, Welshy said:

BYU fan knows that Texas is leaving the big12, right? They are more delusional than aggy. 

Pray for everyone left behind. Baylor too. I said it. No-one deserves BYU. Veil between worlds, angels are alien regards.

Baylor is still worse, by a lot. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Welshy said:

Baylor is worse and aggy is way more delusional.

Get a fucking grip.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, statsman said:

Army 1945 couldn’t be good. It was an all-male military institution and there was a war to be fought. Under those conditions, an institution can’t be expected to field a competitive football team. At least that’s the fable in Katy. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, FartingDreamer said:

BYU has a national brand through its sponsoring institution which is both nation-wide and world-wide.  BYU is recruited by some of the top companies and firms and organizations in this nation.  Do you want me to list the programs?  Hagbird, you have a desparate need to disprove BYU for some reason and it's pathetic.  Get a life and root for your team rather then seeking to tear down others with your falsehoods and nonsense?   

i know more about the history of your church and your people than you do - i seek only the truth - you should too

"Nothing but the truth is good enough for the church to which I belong."

- juanita brooks

On 7/7/2023 at 12:06 AM, Hagbard Celine said:

they are claiming the sunday problem is no longer..... we shall see

but it doesn't effect football, unless on the off chance they would protest a playoff berth on a sunday

i think they would all burn their triple-combos before they balked at a playoff game

Zero chance the CFB puts a playoff game on a Sunday and goes head to head against the NFL.   They don't even like doing it on Wild Card Saturdays.

10 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

i know more about the history of your church and your people than you do - i seek only the truth - you should too

- juanita brooks

I wrote a paper on MMM my senior year and cited Juanita Brooks.

• Fuck You 1

6 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Baylor tough guys holding their heads high at the office coffee maker has ruined hundreds if not thousands of Texans' lives. 

Fortunately, I work in engineering. Lots of Ags, TT and Okie State. No Bears or Frogs. 

On 7/7/2023 at 5:55 PM, Welshy said:

I’ve been through Nebraska and Aggy.  BYU can’t be worse.  If they are I’ll be bitching about it here most likely.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

- juanita brooks

I'm sure you think you do, but I highly doubt it. I've read and studied quite a bit. You read Fawn Brodie's trash biography and other polemics and now you think you are an expert. Good luck with that.

Anyhow, I'm not going to debate you on religion on a football board. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Crockett said:

I'm sure you think you do, but I highly doubt it. I've read and studied quite a bit. You read Fawn Brodie's trash biography and other polemics and now you think you are an expert. Good luck with that.

Ha. Fawn Brodie’s trash biography. Which just happens to present something just slightly different than the hagiographic bios put out by the church. Who has more to gain or lose if the complete moral depravity of the founder of a church is exposed, and if the complete lack of historical support for any claims made by such founder is actually discussed?  Oh, that’s right, don’t ask questions.

UT is described by aggy, Nebraska, and some others as a conference killer. BYU really is. The WAC and MWC are two of its casualties. They have the arrogance of UT, tOSU, etc., without anything to back it up. They’re poison. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

22 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

please start a thread in cloak room on that topic and i would love to engage

@ me when you've done so

would love to read your paper

301.jpg

I wrote my paper back in 2006.  It's long gone.  It was for a Utah History class and the professor, the texts/supplemental readings and library sources (yes, BYU library sources) didn't hide or sugar-coat anything, nor will I regarding the MMM.    It was a tragedy/great act of injustice and a scapegoat (John Lee)  took the fall for many perpetrators who were also guilty of carrying it out.  

Edited by FartingDreamer
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

20 hours ago, Crockett said:

Open a thread in cloak room and let's go.

1 minute ago, Okie State said:
3 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:
Army was the 1945 national champion in football.  The Boone Pickens OSU fake claim to 1945 is bullshit.  It is embarrassing to see that shit on their stadium wall.  

Is it embarrassing? To you? Why? Who gives a fuck? It's all made up bullshit.

Oklahoma aggy went full aggy in thirst for relevance on that 1945 claim.   1918 and 1920 may be available for the wall too.  

Just now, Okie State said:
1 minute ago, lemonandaturd said:
Oklahoma aggy went full aggy in thirst for relevance on that 1945 claim.   1918 and 1920 may be available for the wall too.  

And this affects you how?

I don't believe in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny or the 1945 Oklahoma State National Champions.  That shit is laughable.   

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, Okie State said:
38 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:
I don't believe in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny or the 1945 Oklahoma State National Champions.  That shit is laughable.   

Lol you should worry about more important things that actually matter.

Do you not expect college football fans to be offended by dubious claims to titles?