Left Behind: A Quick Dose Of Post Big 12 Reality

LTtxfan

18 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Per Scipio Tex:  

After Texas and blOU depart for the SEC in 2024, what B12 team will have the largest stadium capacity??

Hide contents

byu      63,470

That would rank 13th in the 2024 SEC  😋

giphy.gif

That number isn't quite accurate.  I attended the Notre Dame game in 2004 and we had nearly 67,000 in attendance.  

• Fuck You 1

35 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Looks like:

BYU: 63,470

ISU: 61,500

Tech: 60,454

WVU: 60,000

OSU: 55,509

KU: 50,250

KSU: 50,000

UCF: 45,301

Baylor: 45,140

TCU: 45,000

Cincy: 40,000

UH: 40,000

I think Tech broke ground on a new expansion when last season ended. Vaguely remember 65k being tossed around when they played their Bowl.

17 minutes ago, Welshy said:

I think Tech broke ground on a new expansion when last season ended. Vaguely remember 65k being tossed around when they played their Bowl.

That's weird. OSU's latest renovation reduced capacity from 65K to 60K. Made for better fan comfort and makes sense with attendance trends nationwide. 

Edited by 'stache

1 minute ago, Okie State said:
35 minutes ago, 'stache said:
That's weird. OSU's latest renovation reduced capacity from 65K to 60K. Made for better fan comfort and makes sense with attendance trends nationwide. 

I remember when dorks were clamoring for an upper deck to be added.

Some still are, lol. I just don't get it, totally unnecessary. 

On 7/2/2023 at 7:03 AM, FartingDreamer said:

That number isn't quite accurate.  I attended the Notre Dame game in 2004 and we had nearly 67,000 in attendance.  

Capacity is the number of actual seats in the stadium.  Attendance is the number of people in the stadium that day (including fans, press, janitors, concession workers, players, etc.).

Shooting Star GIF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, TxEx84 said:

Capacity is the number of actual seats in the stadium.  Attendance is the number of people in the stadium that day (including fans, press, janitors, concession workers, players, etc.).

Shooting Star GIF

Capacity used to be 66k+ but they took out some bleachers and replaced them with seats.

• Fuck You 1

7 hours ago, 'stache said:

I hope they removed seats from the lower bowl near the corners of the field.  That just looks dangerous.

Otherwise, nice stadium.

Edited by cochamps

9 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Why would they need more seats?

Valid point, but they’ll be the Big 12 program in the largest city in the conference’s “footprint”. They should do better than last place in attendance. Greater Houston has 7.34 million people. Surely they can find 60k people for 6 Saturdays every fall. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

21 hours ago, 'stache said:

Looks like:

BYU: 63,470

ISU: 61,500

Tech: 60,454

WVU: 60,000

OSU: 55,509

KU: 50,250

KSU: 50,000

UCF: 45,301

Baylor: 45,140

TCU: 45,000

Cincy: 40,000

UH: 40,000

Thought UCF stadium would have been much larger than 45,301.

Valid point, but they’ll be the Big 12 program in the largest city in the conference’s “footprint”. They should do better than last place in attendance. Greater Houston has 7.34 million people. Surely they can find 60k people for 6 Saturdays every fall. 
Do people attend college games in person for schools they don't give a shit about? I certainly don't.

7 minutes ago, Okie State said:
32 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Do people attend college games in person for schools they don't give a shit about? I certainly don't.

Haha. Like I said upthread, U of H needs to engage with the large corporations in town. They should be giving Chevron and XOM employees as many free tickets as they can handle. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

33 minutes ago, royiv said:

Damn. That looks really nice. 

Campus planners at Tech have done a great job of leveraging the school's original Spanish Renaissance architecture for new construction since the 1990s, contributing greatly to its already cool colors, Double T logo, masked rider, etc., to give them a unique and iconic identity in my opinion. That's no easy feat when there are 130+ other schools in the FBS, many of whom share the same mascots and school colors.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

wrong.gif

2 minutes ago, Josef Pwag said:

You would be surprised by the amount of Houstonians who don't want to go to parts of town where they are likely to be murdered. 

Yeah there's that. Chevron folks work downtown so they've seen some shit. 95% of XOM employees live in The Woodlands, and are immediately calling the cops if they see anybody that looks transient walking around their neighborhood. Scott Street wouldn't agree with them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

So the Big 12 took them for hoops, "TV market" and "recruiting grounds", but they're a f***ing joke in football. Good to know. 

They virtually never sell out unless one of the other Texas schools is in town.

That's the annoying thing about UH fan when they talk about how many people live in the H-town MSA...

"If only y'all could deliver those eyeballs on screens/ butts in seats."

4 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Second and third wives don’t count unless they pay for their own seats. 

au contraire mon frère, deseret led the way with full female suffrage in 1870, and although wyoming was first on the books, the wives of deseret were the first to cast ballots in an election and every wive regardless of rank held equal rights until the Edmunds-Tucker act of 1887

2 hours ago, Josef Pwag said:

You would be surprised by the amount of Houstonians who don't want to go to parts of town where they are likely to be murdered. 

Spent time around UH campus, Texas Southern, and Jack Yates HS.  I've been in other parts of H-town that felt a lot scarier.  Much!

59 minutes ago, slorch said:

Spent time around UH campus, Texas Southern, and Jack Yates HS.  I've been in other parts of H-town that felt a lot scarier.  Much!

USC abuts South Central LA to the East and yet thousand come and go without a problem. What is Houston doing wrong?

2 hours ago, slorch said:

Off the top of my head the Nickel is probably scarier, but the drive from Midtown to U of H on Scott would scare the shit out of Larry Hoover. 

I’ll probably get guilt tripped into attending the Texas game at Coug High. A couple UT guys from work want to go. Solid dudes that know their football. I said sure, but we’re buying the tickets from UT. No dice as they’re older dudes that don’t do nose bleeds. So I’ll contribute a couple hundred bucks towards paying off Holgo’s bar tab. 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Off the top of my head the Nickel is probably scarier, but the drive from Midtown to U of H on Scott would scare the shit out of Larry Hoover. 

I’ll probably get guilt tripped into attending the Texas game at Coug High. A couple UT guys from work want to go. Solid dudes that know their football. I said sure, but we’re buying the tickets from UT. No dice as they’re older dudes that don’t do nose bleeds. So I’ll contribute a couple hundred bucks towards paying off Holgo’s bar tab. 

Dude, you really need to get out of whatever bubble you live in more often. The UH campus and the surrounding area isn't scary. It's been gentrifying at a pretty rapid pace. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, royiv said:

Dude, you really need to get out of whatever bubble you live in more often. The UH campus and the surrounding area isn't scary. It's been gentrifying at a pretty rapid pace. 

Yep. Tons of new townhouses and condos in the Third Ward.

I stated the Nickel was scarier for the record. Yea I know the Third Ward is gentrifying. It doesn’t mean it’s a nice, safe neighborhood though. 

I think they’ll pull some RRS bullshit and put the game at 11am for fan safety. I’ll probably take the train which is always an adventure, but at least I won’t have to ride it at night. 

28 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I stated the Nickel was scarier for the record. Yea I know the Third Ward is gentrifying. It doesn’t mean it’s a nice, safe neighborhood though. 

I think they’ll pull some RRS bullshit and put the game at 11am for fan safety. I’ll probably take the train which is always an adventure, but at least I won’t have to ride it at night. 

Again, you need to get out of your bubble. You're sounding like a pussy.