The Great Texas Mosquito Festival

Brisketexan

We’re spending some family time down at the coast….and realized that this extravaganza of pure American/SETX-ness is happening nearby. So, we of course had to check it out. We opted for the day shift - yes, the night shift will have Stoney LaRue playing, with lotsa beer, but we didn’t plan on spending a lot of time there.

I will share the experience with you via photos.

Was it a hot, swampy, sludgy mess, that made you feel like you were walking around inside Satan’s sweaty ass crack? Oh yes.

f6558114ef98e775765e9c9f0478228b.jpg

b8fbfa4500a8ab9543cb3da2ecfe148c.jpg

Were there classy carnies and their games to win cheap Chinese toys? Of course.

acc6035d15719aba9637d6883631b0bb.jpg

1658831719ce601687df3d90d2b419f7.jpg

9d2a70509a07bb953dac2ec295348136.jpg

More slices of ‘Murica to follow…..

• Hook 'Em 1

I did a 5 year stint in SE Texas, you captured it beautifully. I'm sure that last pic, if you looked left or right, you would have found some used tires, holding just enough water to nourish an angry flock of mosquitoes. 

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

Did yall enjoy any mosquito burgers

Why did I watch that right as my wife is putting biscuits and breakfast sausage patties on the table. Now I am gonna have to skip breakfast. 

<side note = nah, I'm good. Not skipping breakfast.>

Lake Jackson native here.  Have been to more of these things than I care to think about.  Do they still have the contest for guys to see who has the most mosquito-like legs?

Festivals like these  pretty much all look the same now.  You could have told me these were photos from the Shrimporee in Aransas Pass and I would have believed you.  Same sketchy-looking rides, same food booths, same booths hawking crap that no one really needs, music acts all cut from the same mold...I am guessing no matter where you go in this great state of ours that you can find a festival like this if that is what you are seeking.

I have also come to the conclusion that if your area needs rain, all you have to do is schedule a festival like this.  It is almost a guarantee that staging a festival like this will ensure a torrential downpour shortly before or during the festival.  I am not a music festival guy, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the same caveat applies.

• Like 1

Lake Jackson native here.  Have been to more of these things than I care to think about.  Do they still have the contest for guys to see who has the most mosquito-like legs?
Festivals like these  pretty much all look the same now.  You could have told me these were photos from the Shrimporee in Aransas Pass and I would have believed you.  Same sketchy-looking rides, same food booths, same booths hawking crap that no one really needs, music acts all cut from the same mold...I am guessing no matter where you go in this great state of ours that you can find a festival like this if that is what you are seeking.
I have also come to the conclusion that if your area needs rain, all you have to do is schedule a festival like this.  It is almost a guarantee that staging a festival like this will ensure a torrential downpour shortly before or during the festival.  I am not a music festival guy, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the same caveat applies.

It was absolutely a “generic Texas festival” with all of the standard shit. I think they had the skeeter legs contest that night, and that’s about the only thing “Mosquito” about it. Except for, you know, all the mosquitos in the area.

3 hours ago, ScottS said:

Brazoswood 91. You?