2021-2022 hunting thread

markstanco

15 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Better pic. Looks like a similar structure to this guy from a couple years back?

63270-F9-D-6-DBF-4410-90-D4-3-EE004-B2-B

F00500-B5-2-B1-F-4-B43-8996-4154-CBABC53

I don’t see much similarity there, honestly. New buck has more of a basket, with better tine length on G2 and his G4s are more “claw” style than vertical. All tines come back to center moreso than the previous buck also. I feel like the new guy is a different gene pool…one which I actually prefer.  Really good looking frame.

• Hook 'Em 2

Not sure where else to ask, so asking here.  Would appreciate any recommendations.  

When my father retired, his staff presented him with a Weatherby Mark V chambered in .300 Weatherby Magnum, complete with a Zeiss scope.  The plan was for him to go elk hunting with it.  Sadly, cancer took him before he ever shot it.

Fast-forward 29 years.  Along the way, I had the rifle reworked by a master gunsmith to restore it from when I was young and unable to keep it stored properly.  See pic below.

My objective is to hunt a bull elk in fall 2022 using that rifle.  My initial thought is a guided hunt in New Mexico or Colorado, but I’m open.  Don’t want to have to do a lottery - looking for a guaranteed hunt, so I assume private land.  Two hunters.  Budget not an issue.

Thanks in advance for any and all insight.

image.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, noharleyyet said:

He had a stunted right G1 and some broken stuff. I had him in the low 150’s walking. 

I just noticed that and ive looked at that buck several times.  Hard to get a gauge (for me) the mass but I had him just a share over 150.  I’m by no means great at scoring, that’s mostly why I asked. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, solamente73 said:

Not sure where else to ask, so asking here.  Would appreciate any recommendations.  

When my father retired, his staff presented him with a Weatherby Mark V chambered in .300 Weatherby Magnum, complete with a Zeiss scope.  The plan was for him to go elk hunting with it.  Sadly, cancer took him before he ever shot it.

Fast-forward 29 years.  Along the way, I had the rifle reworked by a master gunsmith to restore it from when I was young and unable to keep it stored properly.  See pic below.

My objective is to hunt a bull elk in fall 2022 using that rifle.  My initial thought is a guided hunt in New Mexico or Colorado, but I’m open.  Don’t want to have to do a lottery - looking for a guaranteed hunt, so I assume private land.  Two hunters.  Budget not an issue.

Thanks in advance for any and all insight.

image.jpeg

If budget is not an issue, then the easy choice is the OX ranch.  It's bananas.  Every game you can think of.  Tanks you can drive and fire.  Machine guns and cannons.  It's a big kids paradise.

ox ranch

elk rates

*and note - it's 18,000+ acres.  The elk are not in pens.  They free range, so it's 100% guided hunt and you have to put in a little leg work.

Edited by BabaYaga
  • Hook 'Em 1

I’d strongly consider the UU Bar if you want mountains, low fence, top end elk, and price isn’t a factor. Their setup is top notch from what I’ve seen (200,000 acres, cabins at 10,000 feet with hot water, great elk herds). I talked with them at DSC a few years back. The DSC convention is Jan 6-9 if you want to go meet a lot of elk outfitters in person, it’s worth your time.

http:// https://www.expressuubar.com/

http://biggame.org
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Here’s a floor plan of the DSC show, over 800 exhibitors.There will probably be well over 20 outfitters/ranches that offer elk hunting. Both the UU Bar and the Ox Ranch will be there, as well as many others. It’s a great way to see what the options are and figure out what you want. (Questions Like : Area, fence, class of animal (300” bull? 350” bull? 400” bull?), style of hunt (cabin, wall tent, horseback, backpack?), time of year/climate, etc.)

cf1326d9a31c42136c8f25ee4605e67d.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, 686 said:

Here’s a floor plan of the DSC show, over 800 exhibitors.There will probably be well over 20 outfitters/ranches that offer elk hunting. Both the UU Bar and the Ox Ranch will be there, as well as many others. It’s a great way to see what the options are and figure out what you want. (Questions Like : Area, fence, class of animal (300” bull? 350” bull? 400” bull?), style of hunt (cabin, wall tent, horseback, backpack?), time of year/climate, etc.)

cf1326d9a31c42136c8f25ee4605e67d.png

Always wanted to go to that.  Talk about a kid in a candy store.  @686 is spot on, it's a great opportunity to scout out various levels of hunting styles and opportunities.

• Do you want a giant animal and essentially guaranteed kill?
  • Do you want guide?  No guide?  
  • Processing help?
  • Do you want essentially an organic hunt akin to public land where you have to hike in and hike out?

Tons of options

• Like 1

And speaking from experience, guides are worth every penny in most cases.  Having both utilized and been one myself (Choctaw Game Preserve back in the day), they can be invaluable in terms of efficiency and time savings.

Most have reviews online you can vet or even reach out to prior hunters to get their take.  Going it alone, even on a large, managed ranch you are unfamiliar with can be frustrating.  

23 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

What's wrong with the current place?

Deer population is lacking. Very few deer are being seen / harvested. We got this lease 3 years ago as some of us are new hunters and werent wanting to break the bank. In that 3 years between 6 hunters we've taken maybe 10 deer. The camera activity doesn't inspire much confidence either. 

16 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

How many acres is it and where? What kind of terrain? Pasture or timber?

450 acres in Center TX. Timber company land with a few hardwood creek bottoms running through it. Our "prize" buck is a 7 we've had on camera all 3 years. 

17 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

450 acres should be plenty to do some management, but there are a lot of outlaws down that way who think they have every right to go wherever they want on the land owned by the timber companies.

It should be plenty. Its just not. We've given it 3 years hoping it would show some promise. I'm by far the least experienced hunter (this is only lease i've ever been on) of the group and the group is ready to move. Some want to go west, some want to stay east, and i just want to kill a doe and a turkey. 

27 minutes ago, Ragde said:

It should be plenty. Its just not. We've given it 3 years hoping it would show some promise. I'm by far the least experienced hunter (this is only lease i've ever been on) of the group and the group is ready to move. Some want to go west, some want to stay east, and i just want to kill a doe and a turkey. 

Where do you live?  I would start looking around Childress.  And then maybe Haskell or Snyder.  You can still find large leases for good prices in those areas.  You might need to change your hunting practices if it is a long drive.  Do a couple long hunts and maybe a week hunt to cut down on drive time.

On 12/15/2021 at 8:21 AM, BabaYaga said:

If budget is not an issue, then the easy choice is the OX ranch.  It's bananas.  Every game you can think of.  Tanks you can drive and fire.  Machine guns and cannons.  It's a big kids paradise.

Ok, that place looks FUN.  Only 20 elk, though, and not quite the experience we are looking for (see below).  That said, talking with the guys, that would be a fun time for another species.  Gonna be a guys’ trip.

On 12/15/2021 at 9:10 AM, 686 said:

I’d strongly consider the UU Bar if you want mountains, low fence, top end elk, and price isn’t a factor. Their setup is top notch from what I’ve seen (200,000 acres, cabins at 10,000 feet with hot water, great elk herds). I talked with them at DSC a few years back. The DSC convention is Jan 6-9 if you want to go meet a lot of elk outfitters in person, it’s worth your time.

On 12/15/2021 at 10:26 AM, 686 said:

Great idea, and thank you for reminding me about it.  I miss it every year because the craziness of the holidays plus starting up a new year keeps it off my radar much less top of mind.  UU Bar is an option and on the list.

4 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Always wanted to go to that.  Talk about a kid in a candy store.  @686 is spot on, it's a great opportunity to scout out various levels of hunting styles and opportunities.

• Do you want a giant animal and essentially guaranteed kill?
  • Do you want guide?  No guide?  
  • Processing help?
  • Do you want essentially an organic hunt akin to public land where you have to hike in and hike out?

Tons of options

I’m treating this as my one and only elk hunt.  High probability of success on at least a medium rack bull.  Definitely guided.  Mountains.  Outside of Texas.  Can allocate 7-10 days.  Prices I’m seeing are higher than I expected, but don’t care.  I’m open to everything cabin/lodge to tent.  Horses or ATV/SxS plus hiking.  Help dressing and processing.  Though I’m already training for this trip, no desire to hike in and out, backpacking the whole way.

DSC is a great idea, and it’s on my calendar.  Will report back.

Thanks for the help, y’all.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Ragde said:

Deer population is lacking. Very few deer are being seen / harvested. We got this lease 3 years ago as some of us are new hunters and werent wanting to break the bank. In that 3 years between 6 hunters we've taken maybe 10 deer. The camera activity doesn't inspire much confidence either. 

I feel you.  This might help narrow your search a bit:

How many deer are in Texas? White-tailed deer populations listed by region

My farm is in the Blackland Prairie region, which has the lowest deer population density in the state at 6% that of Edwards Plateau / Central Texas.  And people just shoot whatever they want when they want.

I’m extremely fortunate to have as many deer as I’ve seen on camera, especially like those bellow.  I’ve decided not to take one this year, hoping against odds one will survive until next year.  Need to start killing some pigs, though.  Had a big sounder come through, tear up a field, and disappear (pic below is representative).

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Wife and I adopted our 8 year old niece last year. She loves the lease. 
E5D77BD3-081B-418F-87CC-8AC65EE34A11.thumb.jpeg.17ed5b4c94d4cbb50a120142696830ba.jpeg

Seriously - that’s really great man. I’ve been around a good number of folks that were adopted and there is nothing quite like the attachment there, the adoptee knowing someone did so much to change the course of their life for the better. Kudos to you for that and going above and beyond by getting her into the outdoors.
  • Hook 'Em 4

DSC is a great idea, and it’s on my calendar.  Will report back.

Check out all of the optics when you’re there. Eurooptic has good sales at the show. You’re going to want a good rangefinder and good binos or rangefinding binos for this hunt (Vortex, Sig, Leica, Swarovski). All of the clothing companies will be represented, check out merino blend thermals from First Lite and others; at least see what your size is and note it if you don’t buy some. Also, if you need to up your mountain boot game, this is a prime opportunity to try on Kenetrek, Schnee’s, etc. I really like slings from Slogan outdoors and they will be there as well (being able to pull the second strap over your head really helps hold the rifle in place when you’re traversing awkward terrain. Also, I didn’t look for packs last time, but try out some nice packs from Stone Glacier, Mystery Ranch, Kuiu, Sitka, etc. if possible so you can make a better decision if you decide to get one later.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I gotta make the DSC one year. Dream hunt is a big mulie, mexico or states is fine.Just wanna be in a target rich area, low fence.

As for mexico last weekend was still s bit warm. Bigger bucks still not moving much. Hopefully this weekends the ticket. Did have a close encounter with a nilgai (bonus as weve never seen 1 before). Stayed behind brush to about 450 then went under a fence. Pretty decent 10 with small G4s.83180757bb0ad2a58d88e35c557c67a2.jpg

ca46499b40c1be843c9e2cd07b7eb6ab.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

My friends and i have decided we want a better deer hunting experience next year. Our current lease in East Texas has turned out to be garbage. Where does one go to find new lease opportunities?

To try and answer your original question:

1. there isn’t a great spot to look for leases. It’s really hard to find one. There are some websites (Craigslist, etc.) but seems to be mixed results. It looks like tpwd has a lease database as well:

http:// https://www2.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/planning/hunt_lease/listlease.php

2. In my experience, if the lease is less than 2 hours drive from your house you’ll get a lot more use out of it than if its a 2.5+ hour drive; especially with kids.

3. You can try looking on the bulletin boards at the feed stores in the areas you are considering and talking to the folks that work there.

Good luck man; keep at it and take care.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Best of luck.  Just remember that small communities are small communities.  Your local reputation counts a bunch.

We lucked into a smallish place about 25 years ago.  We made friends with the locals at the feed store, contributed to the local library, etc. 

Next we ended up getting a referral from the feed store for a much bigger ranch that we leased for a long time. 

Our current (and biggest) ranch lease resulted from the landowner calling us out of the blue and asking us if we would like to take a look at it.  It is a great ranch and hopefully this will be the last time our group moves.

• Like 1

I wouldn't limit my search for gear to those solely dedicated to hunting. I've found that the backcountry backpacking folks are generally on the cutting edge of technology and the hunting folks are a few years behind. If it doesn't need to be camo, then you may be better off looking for ultralight backpacking gear. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, solamente73 said:

csb/ Not long after we bought our farm, against my recommendation, Mrs. Sola (no pics) tried to mow some very dead 5 ft hay with our riding mower instead of the tractor.  Hilarity ensued.  Well, if you consider a melted mower and grass fire as hilarity.  But the local volunteer fire department showed up to save the day.  Now we are all friends/acquaintances, and that has been a great avenue into the community.  This year I got to ride with the VFD in the local Christmas parade.  That was awesome. /csb 

image.jpeg

LOL - Dumb wives thread is over there 👉

Edited by crimsonlonghorn

For leases.   It’s just about a Massive amount of legwork.  Forums like this one are a good place to start.  
* where we found our hunters    

As a landowner, finding a good group is a blessing.   People that see themselves as Stewart’s of the land that bring a value add beyond just their wallets   We went trough so many crappy groups.   Talking to other hunters who know surrounding landowners and can talk you up always helps   

I’ll see what I can find out in my area   DM me is you have any questions