2021-2022 hunting thread

markstanco

Took out a gentleman this morning that is paralyzed from the waist down. This is the 4th year I've been able to take him out. He is the cousin of some high school kids that come out to help brush blinds before the season to be able to come out to hunt.6020e13bc56b6a7211842c201abfb296.jpgdc372958fbb4946aaad0cfc0b6da0c70.jpg2365fccc8d155d83d056de1540798a1a.jpg9b911d53c4866ca758c9f7da641627c3.jpg477bd86ae7761faff59b44be5779d68e.jpg

I remember you posting his story before. That’s always a feel good story that they can share the adventure with him
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, 686 said:

2. In my experience, if the lease is less than 2 hours drive from your house you’ll get a lot more use out of it than if its a 2.5+ hour drive; especially with kids.

I’m the exact opposite. I have a solid commute for work, and 2.5 hours SW of West Houston is the minimum where I’d even want to hunt, but that’s more of a terrain preference.  Our place is right at 4 hours.  I’ve day tripped it 4 times this season trying to get new gear down.  It’s a long day but not the end of the world.  

8 hours is about the limit for me, but would absolutely do it for the right place (Mexico) 

@Ragde if you are looking into central TX, a lot of the county websites have lease listings. I’ve never really seen it for any other area. If you are looking for quantity of animals, that’s a great place to start.  

Edited by fattyflattie

6 hours ago, Both Tacos said:

Took out a gentleman this morning that is paralyzed from the waist down. This is the 4th year I've been able to take him out. He is the cousin of some high school kids that come out to help brush blinds before the season to be able to come out to hunt.

That’s so awesome y’all are able to accommodate him on a freaking duck hunt. Wish I had more rep. 

• Like 1

I remember you posting his story before. That’s always a feel good story that they can share the adventure with him
Lots of pictures were taken today. The guy isn't doing well in his health. Up to 2 weeks ago, he was on the hospital in an induced coma for some medical reason. His doctors advised him not to travel to Texas from Georgia and he told them to piss off. He was going hunting no matter what.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Both Tacos said:
14 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

Lots of pictures were taken today. The guy isn't doing well in his health. Up to 2 weeks ago, he was on the hospital in an induced coma for some medical reason. His doctors advised him not to travel to Texas from Georgia and he told them to piss off. He was going hunting no matter what.

Love this.  Guy looks at his big picture limited time remaining, and decides to enjoy that time doing what he loves rather than sitting at home waiting around.

• Like 1

Dad saw this one come in checking for the Big P. Image quality sucks (old iphone & 150 yds away), but curious to get Surly's estimates on size of this deer.
image.thumb.png.41229dbe4d93af6398088e2d8c448347.png

Looks like a big old buck to me. Staining down his locks looks good; front legs look short. If this is low fence I’m shooting.
  • Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, 686 said:

Looks like a big old buck to me. Staining down his locks looks good; front legs look short. If this is low fence I’m shooting.

That was my line of thinking. Recognizing pictures can be deceiving, my first thought was "thick, mature buck". My dad said he studied him for a good big and just didn't think he was a shooter. I feel like he missed the mark on this one. And yes, low fence.

17 hours ago, Both Tacos said:

^^^congree with this assessment.

Same same!

17 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Pretty wide, as well.

This is a point of debate with my dad. He said on the hoof, he was guessing 17-18" maximum. I said hell no....and honestly, can't figure out how he got to those numbers. Recognizing potential distortion...I just started analyzing the feeder. TDIL that 55 gallon steel drums are 23" in diameter. Now...take another look at that deer (and note the fact that he's actually standing ever so slightly behind it).

Had a good afternoon yesterday. Hit the stand after the rain subsided...really enjoyed the cooler / drier air. Deer were moving like I've never seen in the bottoms. Great to see the action! Bucks were on the does. Mostly on what looked like the younger does (possibly this years?).

This young man showed up and gave me a show. He would not leave this one doe. They criss crossed my field 3-4 times before disappearing into the woods. I originally put him at a damn good 2.5 based on neck / body size, but think he's 3.5 after further assessment (mostly from disbelief that a 2.5 can grow horns like that). I'm guessing 17-18" inside and will be a beast if he makes it a few years. Sorry for the poor quality photo / vid....I might have been shaking a little :)

IMG_4281.thumb.jpg.d822eeb26fc581934e23a3a35fbdb1be.jpg

66155291593__403CD446-497F-4295-82ED-68BA17690423 (1).MOV

Edited by Izhmash
Trying to get the video to embed...shit, I give up.
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

This big ugly just showed up at my barn feeder and there is nobody there at the house tonight. I hope he comes back next week when I am in town so I can perforate him. 

Image-1.jpg.1d4ac1bc5d23074b9973eb7f11069b50.jpg

Head, just behind shoulder or neck shot?

Which do you like? 

(Assume he has no decent sized cutters and you don’t want a Euro skull mount or shoulder mount)

If your county has an extended season maybe… if your county ends in the 6th, you may not get that real hard cold to drive them out for food week that we always hope for.

We aren’t even seeing any blue down here in Texas on the maps all the way out till Mid-Jan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Image-1-1.jpg.ae7e2f2c5ecb904c1c180f02d7fe43e8.jpg

These MF'ers know that no one is at the ranch right now. I'm sure that as soon as we show up tomorrow night they gon' be migrating south for the winter. 

This. I swear every damn time I am out at the ranch they dissappear. I pull cameras and everyday I am gone they are stacked around the water troughs with more waiting thier turn. I show up? Two, sitting on the powerline  laughing at me. 

On 12/24/2021 at 2:14 PM, HOOKEM4 said:

This. I swear every damn time I am out at the ranch they dissappear. I pull cameras and everyday I am gone they are stacked around the water troughs with more waiting thier turn. I show up? Two, sitting on the powerline  laughing at me. 

They're all in Frisco hanging up on the power lines.  Teasing little chits....

Mama cow just kicked tf out the side of my truck as I was moving a load around the ranch.  Nearly 300k miles without a dent and this stack of ribeyes manages to fuck up the rear door, cab corner, and bedside.  Sitting in a 90* blind in disbelief right now. I’m talking idling by like I’ve done my entire life and bam. Took me a second to even realize wtf. Disgusted right now. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Mama cow just kicked tf out the side of my truck as I was moving a load around the ranch.  Nearly 300k miles without a dent and this stack of ribeyes manages to fuck up the rear door, cab corner, and bedside.  Sitting in a 90* blind in disbelief right now. I’m talking idling by like I’ve done my entire life and bam. Took me a second to even realize wtf. Disgusted right now. 

Ribeyes are the ultimate revenge.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

F y’all man. I got 3 doe and have been watching for one of two specific bucks for the last month and NADA! Fuck this weather too. Warm whiskey doesn’t taste good when it’s 75 degrees out

Trust me, I’d love it if any one of these was a shooter. Just a bunch on young dudes.  And a hangover for the ages.  Took out the anger of my new sheet metal on the liver and am PAYING for it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

This old girl would pull a stunt like that.  Great mama', here with her twins right before she chased the dog through a pear patch for getting too close while the dogs owner was being a dumbass and snapping pics and not paying attention

image.png.ced1c37b317a0b52d9b22202576af268.png

• Rage+1 1

7 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

F y’all man. I got 3 doe and have been watching for one of two specific bucks for the last month and NADA! Fuck this weather too. Warm whiskey doesn’t taste good when it’s 75 degrees out

Fortunately I had presence of mind enough to take a cups of ice with me to the blind. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Hunting for the first time this year. I had rotator cuff surgery in August and just now feeling like I could take the recoil. Changed the scope on my .30-06 and have not sighted it in so hunting with an ar-10. Only seen two small does and an Armadillo so far. 

Beautiful sunset. 

Might have to try to get a January duck hunt in. 

34C59959-5FC9-4499-935E-F9A98F3B94A2.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1