2021-2022 hunting thread

markstanco

12 hours ago, CHIEF said:

Well, we finally got our trailer mounted Tank Blind out to the lease for the last two weeks. I built this unit for a guy outta Alberta, Canada, but you can't move them across the border unless you have a Federally issued manufacturer's license. I had over $10k in the trailer, and he had paid $6500 for the blind. I was going to sell it at a loss, but CHIEF Jr. talked me into keeping it. It was the biggest and baddest one we ever built. So I bought the blind from him, and gave him a "good luck, and sorry". Here is one like it, I had built earlier, but he put in extra windows, had it insulated, and added a shooting bench, gun rack, window screens, and a bunch of other shit:

Tankblindtrailer.jpg

CHIEF Jr. sat in it on the first morning with it about 70 degrees inside, looked at me, and said he will probably never go back to sitting outside unless it is hot. It is huge, and has great visibility. Holds three guys and a weiner dog easily:

Jeffrey-Tank.jpg

With two people , you can take a nap in the floor and watch the feeder out the bottom window:

Jeffreysleepingtankblind.jpg

We set it at one location last week, didn't see anything but a young broke off 12, and a buck that needed to be culled (which CHIEF Jr. shot), we moved it to a new location between the morning and afternoon hunt, that no one was hunting since you could not see anything without some elevation.

CHIEF

Love it.  We have a giant blind over a small field that is large enough to sleep in and I've done it more than once.  Seals up nice and hold heat well.  

And nice weina'......;)

16 hours ago, 686 said:

Yeah my folks have one. When we were really clearing cedar I could push down and pile over 500 cedar trees a day. Really works best to use the dozer to push the brush into small piles and then use a skid steer with grapple to shuttle the small piles to a larger burn pile area. Cab machines are the only way to work brush fires; I’ll never go back to open machines.

1ab24db9b8c32dbd810aceb3b562e831.jpg

As a kid I coveted cars, big boobs, and fancy houses.  Now I covet dozers, skid steers, and big boobs....

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Love it.  We have a giant blind over a small field that is large enough to sleep in and I've done it more than once.  Seals up nice and hold heat well.  

And nice weina'......;)

I slept in mine twice this last trip. Well, slept as well as you can in 77* heat/fog. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 1/4/2022 at 10:34 AM, CHIEF said:

CHIEF Jr. and his buddy had a pretty productive morning:

Ducksand-Ewe.jpg

His buddy shot a Auodad ewe for a European mount. They said it took them 4 minutes to get to their duck limit.

CHIEF

Really surprised the ducks didn't notice that the decoy was attached to a vehicle. Not to mention one that had a shotty mounted on the side!!

• Haha 1

2ndmorningducks.jpg

They shot another limit this morning. They said they didn't even put decoys out, just sat down on the riverbank, and shot all of these. I asked CHIEF Jr. how many ducks they saw. He estimated between 2000-3000. I posted this picture earlier, but took it down, it looks like 13 ducks, but he swears there are 12. Told him if he is wrong, he better have a duck for lunch.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 2

2ndmorningducks.jpg
They shot another limit this morning. They said they didn't even put decoys out, just sat down on the riverbank, and shot all of these. I asked CHIEF Jr. how many ducks they saw. He estimated between 2000-3000. I posted this picture earlier, but took it down, it looks like 13 ducks, but he swears there are 12. Told him if he is wrong, he better have a duck for lunch.
CHIEF

It’s 13.

Of course, I remember a hunt 15 years ago or so where they swarmed us, and in three minutes, we shot like crazy, and I said stop…we need to count. 2 guns. 19 ducks. Oops. Got a lot more careful after that.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

32 degrees with windchill of 22 and I’m out here watching for one or two more doe to fill the freezer. And in the back of my mind I’m thinking “this is too fucking cold to have to clean a deer”. I guess I’m officially getting old

We are having a TPWD sponsored youth hunt at our lease this weekend.  They are planning to take 30+ does -- that will spare us old guys of all that work cleaning deer!

Enjoy your outdoor experience.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

32 degrees with windchill of 22 and I’m out here watching for one or two more doe to fill the freezer. And in the back of my mind I’m thinking “this is too fucking cold to have to clean a deer”. I guess I’m officially getting old

You deer hunters are worse than us farmers. 

3 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Ive still got to get my 2. The mature ones have disappeared or gone nocturnal.  

11 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

I remember “helping” my dad help my papaw get his heat-houser squared away on his open cab cotton stripper. Days in a row of sun up to sun down in December on the high plains. No fuckin thanks.

For me it was the opposite.  Endless days in triple-digits helping my smartass g-father.  I can't count how many gates I opened and closed.  How many bags of cubes I spread.  How many errands I ran for him.  Heat I can handle.  But I do have thin blood.  

How many endless hours he tactfully got me out of the way as a kid looking for the god damned "board stretcher" or the fucking left-handed hammer or wrench.......

Edited by BabaYaga
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Got my doe and the other 9 at the feeder didn’t even flinch. Good finish to the season

I shot one this AM and all the bucks rushed out to see what was going on.  Waited for them to leave, and shot my second after the left.   Got my does for the year.  

Sitting in the stand this evening and hoping a new buck would show and must have drifted off.  Woke up to a pig squeal. Huh, that’s not typical. I’ve had one big boar showing up every AM that I was hoping my daughter would take. One. (1).  Well, 21 of those fuckers in my pasture.  Boar is going down in the AM.  Fucking pigs.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Had to check my tags for the date. 11/21 at the farm a big ugly boar chased two doe right at me. Like he was no shit chasing them like he was gonna eat them. I too, hate pigs. Don’t rent them either

There are two kinds of people in this World. Those that have pigs, and those that are gonna have pigs.

CHIEF

9 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Finally got him. He has been coming around to our house feeder for so long I think we are going to have him mounted and put in the living room. Guessing he's 250+ lbs? I have no idea. Big boy.

First ever kill with my thermal scope. 

IMG_7870.JPG.c76978f0720994b4963849a7983e7736.JPG

616108249_ATNX0009copy.JPG.4712273421ab2bf9d1b6232e02bee3f2.JPG

IMG_7866.jpg.6344224aef9f8ed422370fe1118d416a.jpg

IMG_7869.jpg.728238ef7faaded40fe5196a5aaa5fc5.jpg

You guess he’s 250 lbs?  Do you have a scale and gambrel to crank him up and find out for sure?

2 hours ago, deadshank said:

You guess he’s 250 lbs?  Do you have a scale and gambrel to crank him up and find out for sure?

Yeah, get a scale.  Hogs are deceptive in their weights - specifically most people vastly overestimate how heavy they are. 

Most are under 200lbs (most, not all)

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Yeah, get a scale.  Hogs are deceptive in their weights - specifically most people vastly overestimate how heavy they are. 

Most are under 200lbs (most, not all)

Absolutely correct. 

“that hog weighed at least 409 lbs.!!!!”

Put on scale and it weighed 186 lbs.  

Need a scale for deer anyways. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Cape him yourself.  It will improve your skill set for caping and sharpening knives. 

38B1346F-5749-4937-B6F9-DCC6D49D1C64.jpeg

Definitely want to learn. Just don’t have time or patience to do it today. Have to leave town later to get to my businsss meeting which is the reason why I got the hall pass to come out here in the first place.